• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 to get 150$ price drop during black friday, Pro $100, Switch $100, XBSAD $100 and more... (Walmart leak)

prag16

Banned
It took 7 years for the PS3 to get down to $199
Yes, but part of that was allegedly the inability to drop BoM sufficiently due to the bizarre Cell architecture. The PS4 is a different story. It could have easily been dropped to $199 by now; but I suppose they haven't enough seen reason to do it. Maybe for the holidays.

Goodness. How much does Wallmart pay for each PS4 if they can afford to sell them at 150!

Video games, controllers, PS+/PS Now subs... you know the drill. :)

$150 means it's getting sold at cost (most likely).

And we haven't even seen yet the PS4 Super Slim SKU (with that fabled 7nm EUV Samsung APU). $100 in Black Friday 2020-2021?

PS2 Slim was that cheap, but it didn't have Blu-Ray, nor a HDD. And of course there's inflation as well.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The real choice here is do you get the Switch or Switch lite? for only 50 bucks more it feels like a no brainer. Get the regular switch especially because of Driftgate.

redfirm

Banned
already own a ps4 pro, perfect time to jump in and get the switch with the new fit game so i can lose some weight.

Grinchy

Banned
I grabbed a Pro off of Massgenie a few months back for $320. That was no tax, free shipping.

So even at $300 + tax for Black Friday, I can still feel like I got a great deal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah, we gotta wait for the $99 special event.

PS1 had mad crazy quick price drops in retrospect. $299 to $199 in little over half a year, we aren't getting those days back.

True. I meant mostly seeing a $149 system again. That was a popular number from NES on up.

If they put the PS4 APU on 7nm, I can see them selling it along side the PS5 and reaching $149 or even $99 towards the end since it will be a part of ecosystem.

People can buy cheap $100-$150 PS4s, all the library of games, then carry all of that over to the PS5 when it hits a $250-$300 sweet spot upgrade, and then adopt the PS5 games they also wanted to play.

Great ecosystem revenue.

Omg so dramatic!!! 🤣🤣🤣 Hey but you may be on to something 🤔Sony does baby sit alot of children for hours on end 🤣🤣🤣
In Sony, We Trust!
HWaQd6Z.png

LordOfChaos

Is this an actual sale or some door buster shit?

This is what I want to know, seems like a classic front page item that is gone within the first hour.

If it's going to be common, I wonder if I could hustle out my fat and pay just a little for the AC wireless at least.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I waited in Walmart last Black Friday for the 65" TCL for $399 and afterwards I wandered by the electronics(the TV slips were handed out in the milk aisle), and the mountain of $199 MineCraft X1S bundles and $199 Spider-man PS4 bundles were being attacked like piranhas on raw bloody flesh. That X1Sad deal looks better to me. Don't believe I've ever put a disc into my X1S...full on virgin.

To be fair, the Switch is the younger platform as the PS4 only has a year until the PS5 comes out. However, when we look at their sales launch-aligned, the Switch has been going toe-to-toe.

Absolutely, the Switch still isn't a PS4 kind of success. It quite possibly won't reach that level with the PS5 launch looming and everything. However, it has been a hit since day one and has been picking up steam lately. The price drop is probably about that.

Please let that ad be real. $200 is that sweet spot for impulse buys and I'll definitely get a Switch for that. I was going for the Pokemon Switch Lite version but $200 for the regular Switch is worth the wait.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
OH BOY A DINKY LITTLE TABLET FOR 50 BUCKS MORE THAN THE PS4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I already have a PS4, therefore MY interest is in the switch. Since we're on the subject, how biased is it that the OP only mentions the PS4 in the thread title when the discless xbox and more importantly the Switch lite also are seeing deep discounts. The xbox with the same discount.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
The real gem here is the $100 off the SAD edition.
Is the SAD version the same price as a PS4 with a bluray drive?...……..They would need to price SAD a bit better, it's already a weaker system where you cant use discs, no borrowed games, nothing...…….Only way gamers may be GLAD to pick up SAD is if it was $99......and even then, that's a tad optimistic as for an extra $50 you get a more powerful system with better exclusives………...The Holidays will be interesting nonetheless...….

Along with PS4 Slim, Switch Lite will sell a tonne though.....

PocoJoe

Banned
Absolutely, the Switch still isn't a PS4 kind of success. It quite possibly won't reach that level with the PS5 launch looming and everything. However, it has been a hit since day one and has been picking up steam lately. The price drop is probably about that.

I would define "hit from day one" include being sold out, and switch didnt manage to do that.

Yes, it were sold out at US/japan and few places, but on many countries it didn't.

Here ps4 sold out for weeks, even wii u were sold out on some places i think.

And ps4 were sold out globally too, on many stores i think

Switch? Werent sold out even on launch day or weekend, many available on every store here.

Ps4 still sells all the inventory around xmas, while I have yet seen empty switch section at any store. (Same with xbox, but it is so bad that doesnt need to be mentioned)

My point: after US/japan saturates, it is not enough to keep sales high, when smaller areas dont care much of the system (as much as ps4/5)

Smaller areas combined are big market too

I would like to see numbers by country, but maybe they are not public material.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
I would define "hit from day one" include being sold out, and switch didnt manage to do that.

Yes, it were sold out at US/japan and few places, but on many countries it didn't.

Here ps4 sold out for weeks, even wii u were sold out on some places i think.

And ps4 were sold out globally too, on many stores i think

Switch? Werent sold out even on launch day or weekend, many available on every store here.

Ps4 still sells all the inventory around xmas, while I have yet seen empty switch section at any store. (Same with xbox, but it is so bad that doesnt need to be mentioned)

My point: after US/japan saturates, it is not enough to keep sales high, when smaller areas dont care much of the system (as much as ps4/5)

Smaller areas combined are big market too

I would like to see numbers by country, but maybe they are not public material.
Not just that, but apart from the slim, PRO was out of stock in many countries for a while including the US (since launch)...…...Up to Christmas 2018, some people were looking for PRO's......There were articles on it btw…..

https://sonyreconsidered.com/sony-is-having-trouble-keeping-ps4-pro-in-stock-17ffb484683e

And several forum-goers were trying to find out what was going on........Last Christmas, I don't think Sony stocked as many PS4's as they could have sold either.....

The figure that would be most interesting is what each console sells worldwide per year...…….US is not the world and all that Jazz.........and when these companies gives updates on installbase, it obviously covers all countries in the world.......

Top Bottom