• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 to get 150$ price drop during black friday, Pro $100, Switch $100, XBSAD $100 and more... (Walmart leak)

jts

...hate me...
I would define "hit from day one" include being sold out, and switch didnt manage to do that.

Yes, it were sold out at US/japan and few places, but on many countries it didn't.

Here ps4 sold out for weeks, even wii u were sold out on some places i think.

And ps4 were sold out globally too, on many stores i think

Switch? Werent sold out even on launch day or weekend, many available on every store here.

Ps4 still sells all the inventory around xmas, while I have yet seen empty switch section at any store. (Same with xbox, but it is so bad that doesnt need to be mentioned)

My point: after US/japan saturates, it is not enough to keep sales high, when smaller areas dont care much of the system (as much as ps4/5)

Smaller areas combined are big market too

I would like to see numbers by country, but maybe they are not public material.
So selling out in US/Japan is not a hit but selling out “here” is a huge hit. Where is this “here” btw? Because in my “here”
I could buy a PS4 any given day since it came out.

What defines a hit is raw sales not how a manufacturer distributes units or how it’s able to satisfy the demand. Supply issues don’t equal a hit.

Can a switch lite and switch share the same account?

Like if i own a switch and buy a seitch lite will i have access to everything onmy switch lite as well? Obviously game downloads but more importantly saves. Is it seemless for me to go from playing my switch on a tv to playing the switch lite and pick up where I just quit out of on the tv?

I would define "hit from day one" include being sold out, and switch didnt manage to do that.

Yes, it were sold out at US/japan and few places, but on many countries it didn't.

Here ps4 sold out for weeks, even wii u were sold out on some places i think.

And ps4 were sold out globally too, on many stores i think

Switch? Werent sold out even on launch day or weekend, many available on every store here.

Ps4 still sells all the inventory around xmas, while I have yet seen empty switch section at any store. (Same with xbox, but it is so bad that doesnt need to be mentioned)

My point: after US/japan saturates, it is not enough to keep sales high, when smaller areas dont care much of the system (as much as ps4/5)

Smaller areas combined are big market too

I would like to see numbers by country, but maybe they are not public material.

Not just that, but apart from the slim, PRO was out of stock in many countries for a while including the US (since launch)...…...Up to Christmas 2018, some people were looking for PRO's......There were articles on it btw…..

https://sonyreconsidered.com/sony-is-having-trouble-keeping-ps4-pro-in-stock-17ffb484683e

And several forum-goers were trying to find out what was going on........Last Christmas, I don't think Sony stocked as many PS4's as they could have sold either.....

The figure that would be most interesting is what each console sells worldwide per year...…….US is not the world and all that Jazz.........and when these companies gives updates on installbase, it obviously covers all countries in the world.......

Ok guys, that's fine, I see you. I'm not going to do this, I'm not going to get into a petty goal post moving discussion about this shit. "Yeah it outsold it in America, but that doesn't count because it didn't in my country!" I'm brazilian, Nintendo doesn't officially release physical hardware or software here. The Switch is a success. It's a runaway success. Arguing this is stupid, and I mean like legally stupid. It may not be as successful as the PS4, but that's fine because we don't get paid either way.

My argument is that Sony had to lower the PS4 price otherwise it would take a hardcore dicking by the Pokémon launch this holiday. It would be such an anal devastation that nobody could rationalize marginal points to sustain what you hope is true. "And ps4 were sold out globally too, on many stores i think", yeah dude, Pokémon came out and you just got SWITCHED.com. That's why the PS4 had to see a price drop. It had to.

Last edited:
Can a switch lite and switch share the same account?

Like if i own a switch and buy a seitch lite will i have access to everything onmy switch lite as well? Obviously game downloads but more importantly saves. Is it seemless for me to go from playing my switch on a tv to playing the switch lite and pick up where I just quit out of on the tv?

Nope. Because Nintendo still hasn't figured out accounts. You have to transfer from one to the other, then if you want to go back to the first ... transfer again. It's way too painful to make it practical to own a Switch Lite just for travel. I would have considered doing it myself if they used Sony's account management.

PSFan

Nope. Because Nintendo still hasn't figured out accounts. You have to transfer from one to the other, then if you want to go back to the first ... transfer again. It's way too painful to make it practical to own a Switch Lite just for travel. I would have considered doing it myself if they used Sony's account management.

You're wrong. My Switch and Switch Lite both use my account. My Lite is the primary Switch and they both can play the games in my library. I can also use any cloud saves on either Switch and if a game doesn't support cloud saves like Pokemon Let's Go, just do a direct transfer between them. You can go back and forth with transfers as much as you like too.

VGEsoterica

My Switch dock AND power adapter ate themselves for breakfast and no longer work. Been charging the Switch itself with my iPad charger. Nintendo wants $100 to "fix" them, so might just be worth buying a black friday Switch for $100 and having a second Switch

gt86

Did anyone actually follow the link?

- CheapyD Edit - Walmart asked me to remove the ad and provided me the following statement:

“I can confirm this is not Walmart’s Black Friday ad. We haven’t released our ad yet, but stay tuned! We’re excited about all we have to offer Black Friday shoppers.”

Tara House, Walmart

You're wrong. My Switch and Switch Lite both use my account. My Lite is the primary Switch and they both can play the games in my library. I can also use any cloud saves on either Switch and if a game doesn't support cloud saves like Pokemon Let's Go, just do a direct transfer between them. You can go back and forth with transfers as much as you like too.

Sorry, thanks for the correction. I do stand by the fact that it should be easier. You can only play digitally purchased games on one console at a time unless you're connected to the internet ... if you forgot to change your primary console on a trip and don't have internet access to do it, you can't play it. This shouldn't be a thing.

Primary console info

DiscoJer

Black Friday has replaced the January sales.

Instead of buying the left of shit from this Christmas, in January, you are now buying the left over shit from last Christmas, a month before this Christmas.

Dem stores gotta clear out the junk for the new lines.

No, we actually start clearancing old stuff right about now in order to make room for Thanksgiving (no more Black Friday) and holiday sales. Like those 1UP arcade cabinets were last years deal ($200 instead of $300), we didn't sell hardly any and now have them on clearance for $75.

Codes 208

Sorry, thanks for the correction. I do stand by the fact that it should be easier. You can only play digitally purchased games on one console at a time unless you're connected to the internet ... if you forgot to change your primary console on a trip and don't have internet access to do it, you can't play it. This shouldn't be a thing.

Primary console info
Tbf thats how it works on xbox too.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ps4 slim is highly worth it. Small and quiet.
Then replay all those exclusives on ps5 at 4k.,
That said - as ps4 slim owner, I am worried about Death Stranding

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
All they're doing is dumping inventory because they know the PS5 is next year.

It's not a good deal. Old ass out of date systems don't have a lot of value.

Not really. If you haven't bought a PS4 by now, it is unlikely for you to be an early adopter who would line up for launch consoles. Further, confirmed BC on ps5 meant one could buy games now, knowing the library would still be usable later when they decide to upgrade.

Granted, ps4superslim is probably coming, but if you wait forever then you would never buy anything.

dirthead

Banned
Not really. If you haven't bought a PS4 by now, it is unlikely for you to be an early adopter who would line up for launch consoles. Further, confirmed BC on ps5 meant one could buy games now, knowing the library would still be usable later when they decide to upgrade.

Granted, ps4superslim is probably coming, but if you wait forever then you would never buy anything.

That isn't true at all. You could be a kid who's just becoming old enough to play games on a console. Why would a kid want some weak ass PS4 instead of a PS5?

You mean Switch getting a shit load of 3rd party support and being relatively new when compared to the actual market leader, Sony, with it's PS4?

I meant market leader during that time period, specifically the two years in a row where the Switch outsold the PS4 in the US. If you think those are the reasons for that, cool, I'm not going to argue because while I have a different opinion, I know it's just an opinion. It's also irrelevant, because my point was about the PS4 getting a price drop because it needed to.

yeah dude, Pokémon came out and you just got SWITCHED.com. That's why the PS4 had to see a price drop. It had to.

Who gives a flying fuck why some manufacturer decides to cut prices? Why is this so important to you?

There’s hundreds of goods that get price cuts every day, do you lose your shit on a daily basis over that too?

OMG WALMART LOWERED THE PRICE OF THEIR BROOMS YESTERDAY. OMG GAS IS 2 CENTS MORE EXPENSIVE THIS WEEK. FREAK THE FUCK OUT EVERYONE.

Get a life bro.

PS4 is a far better choice if you're a price-conscious consumer and/or you care about a huge library of cheap/affordable games.

PS5 will target console enthusiasts with a minimal next-gen library.

2 totally different audiences. It's pointless to conflate them.

Kids were never early adopters to begin with. Back when Mega Drive was a new thing, many kids were still playing on old ass Atari VCS clones.

Last edited:
The Xbox One S will be $99 because the All Digital has always been $50 more.

No it doesn't make sense, but expect the Xbox One S to always be $50 less no matter what sale at any time of year.

Xenon

Don't own a pro but couldn't see myself getting one now even at 200-250 if they went they low. PS5 is next year.

Nice to see 149 on consoles.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

One of the main reasons for PS2 sales was its price. It sold about 40 million more AFTER the launch of PS3, because its price was just $100.
If the PS4 can get its price down to $150 after the launch of PS5, I can see PS4 sales coming close to PS2, maybe 130 million.

Woo-Fu

Banned

It is a great deal for people who have been waiting for a particular price point. It isn't like the games it plays have gotten worse over time, at least the singleplayer ones. I'll get one at that price, then pick up the games when they're on sale, get to play the best singleplayer games on the platform at a fraction of the price you paid.

thelastword

Banned
Don't own a pro but couldn't see myself getting one now even at 200-250 if they went they low. PS5 is next year.

Nice to see 149 on consoles.
Yes, if you still have a slim, no need to get a PRO now, if you have a 4k TV though PRO is still a great option for new buyers.....

Yes, next gen is around the corner, but I think such a price will move lots of slims and people who don't mind spending a bit more for a PRO.....Let's be honest, someone buying PS4 right now may not buy the PS5 at launch anyway...…..So they will likely have 2-3 years of gaming. or more before they go PS5, they are still in the ecosystem and they can feast on a large library of great exclusives from 6-7 years of PS4 being on the market....

Someone only buying a PS4 now, can buy many cheap AAA exclusives, knowing that his library of games is not lost on the next gen system. He can then play all the great titles coming from now to next year November...….That's still a long way to PS5, where many games can be played, perhaps some of PS4's best games yet...…...PS4 Slim games still look good and perform good and there's a huge market for such a great console at $149.00...….BirdmanRubbingHisHandsInAnticipation.Gif

DiscoJer

The actual ad is up on the Walmart website (and app). Pretty much the same stuff as everyone else. Looks like the new NFS is on sale for $30.

freefornow

The SAD is bundled with 3 games (d/load tokens). Some may see value in these as a package.
Yes, i'm aware of Game Pass for $1 etc etc.

Kagey K

Banned
Ps4 slim is highly worth it. Small and quiet.
Then replay all those exclusives on ps5 at 4k.,
That said - as ps4 slim owner, I am worried about Death Stranding
Lol you’ve only played PS4 if you ever thought a PS4 slim was quiet. That’s the funniest thing I read today.

Last edited:

Mega Man

Why buy either PS or XB at this point with impending new consoles with BC? Patience my friends...

Never owned a PS4, but I will play all the big time titles come this time next year

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why buy either PS or XB at this point with impending new consoles with BC? Patience my friends...

Never owned a PS4, but I will play all the big time titles come this time next year

Because some people can't afford a $500 console.

magnumpy

about time a price drop came for PS4. $150 is a really killer price especially with next gen coming soon.

maybe taking this price drop into consideration a $~400 PS5 seems more realistic now :pie_thinking:

Top Bottom