• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Is Sony's Most Profitable Console Generation to Date

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So from FY1994 to FY2019 they had a total operating income of $10 Billion.

In the last 4 fiscal years they have the same operating income as the previous 26 fiscal years combined.

So why do I keep seeing video game media members saying consoles are dying and Sony needs to change along with MS?

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

I fully expect next gen PS6 and PS handheld to be even more lucrative. I will certainly buy more games and buy them digitally if I can play them on console and on the go

Sure you can always spin those things, this is how I read those numbers: Profits in 2020 and 2021 were still on the wave of Covid and PS4 super successful generation (profit wise). 2022 and 2023 profits are showing the full extent of Jimbo strategy (GAAS + PC) and it's not good.

Edmund

Ps5 is the most successful console for Sony and yet somehow Xbox fans can make it about Microsoft and their "infinite warchest".

mfGMEgK.jpeg

Oppoi

It’s crazy they’ve spent all that much money and they and Xbox is still a sinking ship. Shows how incompetent they are.
To be fair no matter how fast Xbox was taking on water both Zenimax and Activision Blizzard is their way of buying insurance. They're not going anywhere, for Xbox to lose the whole industry must lose. It's like a cancer taking control of a host.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Guess when you adopt the Nintendo mentality i.e. "don't drop the price of consoles or games", anything is possible.

Last edited:
Nominal terms, record profits yes. I'm probably the only person that cares but I'd like to see the numbers adjusted for inflation. I personally am pulling in record profits this year (wages, investments, etc.) but I'm also spending record amounts of money on food, rent, gas, etc. so...... yeah.

StereoVsn

Your console jihad is blinding you, I wasn‘t even talking about the others, I just meant that it’s the worst generation for Playstation (and for all the others too). If you are okay with what they do then good for you too. I think they were insanely better between 2009 and 2020.
Is it though?

PS5 side just this year here are some games in no particular order through June:

- LaD: Infinite Wealth
- P3R
- FFVII Rebirth
- Rise of Ronin
- Unicorn Overlord
- Eiyden Chronicles
- Tekken 8
- Granblue Fantasy
- Helldivers 2
- Tombraider Trilogy Remastered
- MLB 2024
- Dragon’s Dogma
- Stellar Blade
- System Shock
- Shin Megan Tensei V Vengeance
- Elden Ring DLC

A lot of those are not exclusives, but does that matter? There are a plethora of games to play and the above isn’t an exhaustive list by any means. That’s just first half of this year.

Top Bottom