• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 issues are freaking me out.

mitchman

Gold Member
My most annoying issue with the XSX right now is that recording of the last X seconds played (in AC Valhalla) completely messes up the tone mapping when converting from HDR->SDR, so the video is almost completely black, it seems all brightness is stripped.
AC Valhalla keeps crashing more and more, but that's another issue I guess.

xrnzaaas

There's this thing called warranty... Just don't get rid of your PS4 before buying a PS5.

Or you can wait a few months for the first revision models.

Last edited:

Boneless

I think we're seeing the effects of a worldwide pandemic with software engineers working from home.
I guess things aren't running very well for game devs or the console manufacturers.

I'm sure there will be some patches coming for most of these quirks in the coming weeks.

What is this you're pulling out of your arse? Software engineer is one of the roles that can be very effectively be done from home, likely even more effective than in the office.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Ok, you might need to educate me; what issues are impacting everyone? I can see intermittent issues, and the ones I've read about are around specific external storage devices not playing nice.
Pardon me for my not so greatly articulated post, which you are reacting to, I was trying to say, that a lot of reports of problems with Miles Morales and memory subsystem, problem with external drive, problem with rest mode and stuff like that. Not maybe everyone is hit by it, however even going by threads in here, it does not seems particulary stable so far, likue purely from software perspective.

OutRun88

What’s the rest mode issue people are talking about? I’m having a hard time following.

My PS5 hard crashed while playing CoD.
My controller doesn’t seem to charge while in rest mode either.

Yeah, fucking stupid people who'll never be nothing else than spoiled middle-class bottom feeders while actually wealthy people either don't play consoles or use their money wisely even if they can afford it.

bf8.gif

Isa

What’s the rest mode issue people are talking about? I’m having a hard time following.

For me when I put it in Rest Mode, upon trying to turn the machine back on it just hangs on a black screen with occasional flashes. Nothing happens. I had to factory reset the console and reinstall everything.

I honestly get the fear, its sucks being excited for something to only be disappointed. But I have to say, after getting it back up and running, we had one hell of a day with it. Played some more Astro and then, since I finished Wasteland 3, I wanted to start up Yakuza Like a Dragon. My god what a game. Its the Jrpg I need right now, hell we both do. My girl and I couldn't put it down all night. That studio man is the best thing Sega has(not Atlus). Also played Dirt 5 which is a good game so far. When it works I'm in heaven, the Dualsense is superb, I can't get over the variety of sensations, from racing, platforming and uh... Souling, there is so much potential there. I can't wait to see how it gets used throughout the gen. One of Sony's best achievements yet.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Yeah, fucking stupid people who'll never be nothing else than spoiled middle-class bottom feeders while actually wealthy people either don't play consoles or use their money wisely even if they can afford it.

what are you doing on a gaming forum then complaining? Most people here would probably say it’s a wise use of their money as it brings them happiness..... it is for me anyway.

such a troll

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've cancelled my PS5 pre order (uk).

my series X just died and i am realising i can't be arsed dealing with this shit. i knew there would be issues but my console dead after just 4 days...nah didn't expect that. i'm too old for this shit i suppose. i'll pick up a console once all the hardware/software stuff is ironed out.

Ar¢tos

my series X just died and i am realising i can't be arsed dealing with this shit. i knew there would be issues but my console dead after just 4 days...nah didn't expect that. i'm too old for this shit i suppose. i'll pick up a console once all the hardware/software stuff is ironed out.
If you want the least hassle then you need to buy consoles at least 1 year after release for the most common hardware issues to be solved, firmware to be (mostly) stable and buy games at least 6 months after release for the most common bugs/glitches/crashes to be fixed.

nemiroff

Gold Member
After years and years on the internet I'm kinda immune to these stories.. There's always a failure rate when it comes to electronics (and life in general...). We can never fully escape it, but we can stop worry about it in beforehand. The strategy is simple: Buy it, play it - And then if you end up in the unlucky minority feel sorry about yourself for a couple of minutes and then send the motherfucking thing back for repair/replacement. Play on backup devices in the meantime.

Last edited:
I heard the defective rate is around 0.5% for new tech. That's honestly pretty good. That's roughly only 15,000 out of 3 million. Besides, I've heard most of the problems seem to be software issues.

I'm pretty certain that Microsoft and Sony have put consoles on the side in case this happens. They can simply replace the consoles quickly.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My ethernet was cutting out randomly. Switched to wifi and haven't had an issue since. Seems network issues are pretty common on both ethernet and wifi right now so hopefully its all software?

Ive had zero issue with Ethernet, fan noise..etc. No USB HDD issue. I won’t likely be trying rest mode until that issue is worked out. I have not yet tried games outside of Astros playroom.

Reactions: Isa

Riky

$MSFT
I'd wait until Sony gets their act together, especially since a replacement could be a while, give it six months at least.

Brock2621

Yeah it’s always a lil anxiety inducing but remember, most people don’t post if theirs has no issues. I have two and both work flawlessly and are whisper quiet. Just take a deep breath enjoy the hype and launch... only happens once a decade or so. Cheers mate!

ReBurn

Gold Member
These two videos are pointing to actual bugs, whoever posts them does not make the bugs not real for whatever reason.
The most frustrating thing about console launches, or dealing with hardware issues period, is having a very real and frustrating problem and then an army of nimrods rushes in with "well mine works perfectly so it's not a problem" defense force crap. Well if yours works perfectly then shut up and go play it while I'm trying to find some help.

It's a genuine concern and i'm not sure why people are jumping on OP for it. After i saw that smoking Xbox SX (fake or not), i've been making sure to turn my Xbox fully off and not leaving it in quick resume mode because i noticed the fan still spinning. It's supposed to do that but it just made me feel uncomfortable knowing power was running through it while i'm asleep in my bed right next to it.

If you buy a £450 new piece of tech, you want it to just work regardless of an "acceptable failure rate out of x amount of consoles sold". That said, the amount of weird issues popping up with the PS5 is strange. If it was just a case of a console shutting down and bricking, fair enough because it would seems like a single isolated issue, but i've seen disc drive problems, failing GPU problems, external HDD bricking them, rest mode bricking them... It's odd.

Just make sure you have a warranty in place but shit i'd be mad if my new Xbox just bricked a couple days after getting it. I know consoles fail sometimes, but come on, people are excited and have waited years for them to have it break a day in would just be disheartning. The wait for a replacement would be agonizing.

The most frustrating thing about console launches, or dealing with hardware issues period, is having a very real and frustrating problem and then an army of nimrods rushes in with "well mine works perfectly so it's not a problem" defense force crap. Well if yours works perfectly then shut up and go play it while I'm trying to find some help.
Except that this thread is not about specific issues but the sheer number of them so it makes sense for people to say when theirs work fine. Otherwise, we think that 100% of PS5s are failing.

It's a genuine concern and i'm not sure why people are jumping on OP for it. After i saw that smoking Xbox SX (fake or not), i've been making sure to turn my Xbox fully off and not leaving it in quick resume mode because i noticed the fan still spinning. It's supposed to do that but it just made me feel uncomfortable knowing power was running through it while i'm asleep in my bed right next to it.

If you buy a £450 new piece of tech, you want it to just work regardless of an "acceptable failure rate out of x amount of consoles sold". That said, the amount of weird issues popping up with the PS5 is strange. If it was just a case of a console shutting down and bricking, fair enough because it would seems like a single isolated issue, but i've seen disc drive problems, failing GPU problems, external HDD bricking them, rest mode bricking them... It's odd.

Just make sure you have a warranty in place but shit i'd be mad if my new Xbox just bricked a couple days after getting it. I know consoles fail sometimes, but come on, people are excited and have waited years for them to have it break a day in would just be disheartning. The wait for a replacement would be agonizing.
Well, we don’t really know many of the PS5s are having issues. Could be less than 1% of the lot.

Thanks I appreciate the support.

I'm sure if people's PS5 ran into issues they'd no longer be attacking me for it. So sorry I am worried about a console I've been waiting a very long time for like back off.

Also good news regarding Spiderman MM. A patch has now been released for it and part of the patch is aimed at improving stability. Hopefully it'll no longer cause crashes.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Except that this thread is not about specific issues but the sheer number of them so it makes sense for people to say when theirs work fine. Otherwise, we think that 100% of PS5s are failing.
We wouldn't think that because we know it's not 100% of them.

Well, we don’t really know many of the PS5s are having issues. Could be less than 1% of the lot.

Not disputing the numbers but shit, theres a PS5 thread on that subreddit with over 8 thousand comments and an array of differing issues. Just saying it's a genuine concern to have.

TGXVnqP.png

For comparison, the Xbox Series X support thread has just over 1 thousand comments. That could be a disparity between userbase sizes but i mean...
Thanks I appreciate the support.

I'm sure if people's PS5 ran into issues they'd no longer be attacking me for it. So sorry I am worried about a console I've been waiting a very long time for like back off.

Also good news regarding Spiderman MM. A patch has now been released for it and part of the patch is aimed at improving stability. Hopefully it'll no longer cause crashes.

I totally agree with you. If my Xbox goes down i'll be pissed too.

Last edited:
We wouldn't think that because we know it's not 100% of them.
Really? You’re in a thread and 100 out of 100 posters say that their PS5s are failing, you’re going to think “nah, not enough data to jump to a conclusion”? I bet you that you’ll think “that’s a high failure rate”.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
That was to be expected. We heard reports issues with the PS5, but people just want to dismiss it. Even when it was coming from reputable sources such a Bloomberg.

ZehDon

Pardon me for my not so greatly articulated post, which you are reacting to, I was trying to say, that a lot of reports of problems with Miles Morales and memory subsystem, problem with external drive, problem with rest mode and stuff like that. Not maybe everyone is hit by it, however even going by threads in here, it does not seems particulary stable so far, likue purely from software perspective.
No worries at all, I thought maybe you’d seen a pattern of issues I’ve overlooked. I think after the Xbox 360 and the red ring of the death, we all hold our breaths when new consoles launch, hoping we don’t ever have a repeat of that.
I think you’ve made a fair assessment; there does seem to be some stability issues right now. Here’s hoping it’s a patch away from being fixed.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Really? You’re in a thread and 100 out of 100 posters say that their PS5s are failing, you’re going to think “nah, not enough data to jump to a conclusion”? I bet you that you’ll think “that’s a high failure rate”.

When my launch PS3 got YLOD it was in no way helpful to me to learn that 20 randos still had working day 1 consoles. Same thing with the two RROD I had. When the HDMI on my launch PS4 crapped out it was in no way helpful to me to hear that so many other people had consoles in perfect condition. At no time did anyone believe that because a handful of people were reporting problems and looking for people experiencing the same thing that 100% of units everywhere were broken.

Only people who are invested in console wars and the success or failure of some mega-corporation's plastic box are going to think that reports of problems mean doom. Rational people with stable emotional intelligence know that with mass produced items some have problems and some do not

What I've painfully learned through personal experience beginning with the launch of the first PlayStation back in the 90's is that I'm an idiot for buying systems at launch and I won't do it any more. But I've had enough bad experiences with every company to know that it's not helpful to let someone know your console is working fine when they are having a problem. All it does is diminish what they're dealing with and make it harder for them to get help. Microsoft and Sony need to be blasted and feel the pressure when their stuff breaks so that they are forced to respond, not be protected and coddled by armies of idiots that they're taking money from.

DonMigs85

was thinking of waiting for the revision/Pro version but that's probably at least 3 years away. Maybe middle of next year is a safe bet

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Mine has been fine. I honestly wouldn't worry too much as the people having problems are a very low percentage.

Incidentally mine didn't come with a screw for the base so it's a little loose right now in my cabinet. Will have to run to the hardware store.

Old Empire.

PS4 pro crashed alot to the dashboard, bloody annoying. It's nothing to worry about. There reports of bricking and GPU issues with some consoles, but it's not crazy at the moment. Just follow the threads to avoid the known bugs..

MrS

Banned

All those years of console warring for Xbox and your console is dead after 4 days?

8PV3.gif

Not disputing the numbers but shit, theres a PS5 thread on that subreddit with over 8 thousand comments and an array of differing issues. Just saying it's a genuine concern to have.

TGXVnqP.png

For comparison, the Xbox Series X support thread has just over 1 thousand comments. That could be a disparity between userbase sizes but i mean...

I totally agree with you. If my Xbox goes down i'll be pissed too.
I cannot see a stickied thread on the xbox series x reddit, which has 400k less subscribers.

Top Bottom