• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 issues are freaking me out.

cosmicom

Banned
I agree with this having looked into this issue. It seems the noise in a few videos show it coming from where the PSU is and combined with the fan being much quieter now it is being noticed more. Also I wonder if PS5 being constant power has changed how the PSU has to run?

I also found this video on Youtube that shows a PS4 Pro with a buzzing noise that turned out to be caused by an inductor in the PSU:

Which sounds similar to this video apparently showing a PS5 with the issue (though it could also be a spinning disc!?):

Coil whine is not acceptable in a game console. I want silence.

NeoGIF

It almost makes me want to wait as well, even as much as I'm currently eager to get one at the moment.

I just don't want to fall into that 'small percentage' of people who might end up with a bad unit. You know?

cosmicom

Banned
It almost makes me want to wait as well, even as much as I'm currently eager to get one at the moment.

I just don't want to fall into that 'small percentage' of people who might end up with a bad unit. You know?

I will wait until it´s clear what´s happening. Anyway, scarcity of ps5 can make impossible buying one until mid next year.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I had one crash. It was during the first 30 mins of Astros’s playroom. The game just froze then gave an error message and went back to the Home Screen. Havent had any issues since so I’ll see what happens over the coming days and weeks.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ive had 3 crashes total. one was Sekiro. two were while playing Demon's Souls.

both times they were while fast-loading back to the hub world, so it's probably software, something memory related. they are pushing shit around at insane speeds.

no biggie, it takes all of 5 seconds to start the game up again after a crash. if this is the price i have to pay until they patch this stuff, then i will wait a total of 15 extra seconds.

Last edited:

aries_71

I've had several issues, mainly caused by my 8TB external HDD with 584 games installed. for some reason I didn't expect that to be a bad idea.

I've rebuilt the ps5 database 4 times and each time it's fixed the issues. Except the 4th time.

Wow, just wow. It looks like a simple scenario that should have been tested by QA. They are launching the thing totally raw.

Kamina

Golden Boy
ive had 3 crashes total. one was Sekiro. two were while playing Demon's Souls.

both times they were while fast-loading back to the hub world, so it's probably software, something memory related. they are pushing shit around at insane speeds.

no biggie, it takes all of 5 seconds to start the game up again after a crash. if this is the price i have to pay until they patch this stuff, then i will wait a total of 15 extra seconds.
Plus, PS4 also crashes at times, so its nothing new.

J____Av

Stop being so pathetic and selfish. Let's see you buy a next gen system only to brick it.

Some common decency and empathy goes a long way, lest you find yourself in the same situation.

What an immature and pathetic attitude.

Dude, we have seen your posts. You are not in any position to call anyone pathetic

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

You're freaking out, but you won't cancel your preorder? Sounds like you're not freaking out, and just want some attention. Some of us can't even buy a console this year, because it might not even release in our countries until 2021, and you're whining about normal failure rates on a system you already have preordered. Is this thread going the way you expected it would? Didn't think this one through properly, did you?

Paulxo87

Was in the middle of playing spiderman screen froze and system was unresponsive. Had to hit the power button to get it to restart. It did the whole drive check thing etc.

Stop shaming people for reporting issues with this console. There is enough smoke to warrant the fact that there are definitely at least software issues that are causing a whole range of issues that many people are experiencing. I also believe these issues are somewhat widespread. I say this as a Sony fanboy since 1998

Last edited:

Rodolink

rest mode not working is a bummer, having to close a game each time i stop playing. I hope they fix that one soon.

Ar¢tos

People used to joke about the stability updates of the ps4 and now they eagerly waiting for them for the ps5.
Maybe Sony knew best all along.
I expect a new fw update to come at the same time of the EU launch.

xrnzaaas

Nobody wants to be putting in a warranty claim days after purchasing a brand new product. That's bullshit.
It doesn't look like PS5 issues are widespread (let's remember that all the people without any issues with their consoles are staying silent on social media) so you're basically taking the same risk as with most new hardware.

Like I've said you can play it safe and keep your PS4 or wait for the first updated model with less day1 flaws (or at least for the updated firmware).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
ACG, who was one of the first people in games media to have their PS5 crap out on him said tonight that his replacement PS5 is also acting up now.

it makes me wonder if all the ones acting up are coming from the same place? Is there anyway to track lot numbers and see if there’s some connection?

rest mode not working is a bummer, having to close a game each time i stop playing. I hope they fix that one soon.
There was someone on reddit who explicitly tested rest mode and did not have any issue. So, it’s not like it’s not working - just some people having issues.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
After reading the PS5 tech issue thread on reddit I am starting to get really anxious about what's going on.

From rest mode not working, controllers not charging, graphics issues in games, full on PS5 crashes and random shut downs, games being randomly uninstalled by the PS5, download bugs, PS4 games being locked for no reason in a person's primary account, and reports of PS5s bricking after 30 mins of use, I'm not sure what to do when I get my PS5 on the 19th.

Is this not freaking anyone else out? Nothing has been said by Sony and no one knows when any sort of patch will be released.

How are current PS5 Gaf users dealing with this news?

Cancel the preorder and get a chimney. Winter is close.

Game crashing is one thing but game shutting off the system is another...

fmbSkve.jpg

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Getting a launch model has always been a little bit risky. We know nothing of the failure rates yet, though, so I don't see a reason for panic.

THE:MILKMAN

Coil whine is not acceptable in a game console. I want silence.

If it was as loud as in the video of the PS4 Pro I posted last night I would tend to agree as I would definitely hear it, but as I understand it this sort of high frequency buzzing isn't classified as a fault as all it is is electricity/current flowing around a coil making it shake?

Will have to wait and see how prevalent this problem s in the few weeks as more people get consoles.

- Rest most is for sure NOT just MIles as I am now on my second PS5 with those issues and no miles and not Spiderman Remastered
That sucks Karak, I just saw your video about getting the other PS5 and how excited you were. I hope everything works out for you in the coming days.

I got that weird vibrate noise on my ps5 ....only occurs when a game is on and it’s not a disc read as there is no disc in the tray

presuming it’s a fan profile or something
Console is standing up

Velius

Banned
Demons souls is more reason than anything on xbox one on the whole gen :messenger_angry: (to me at least)

Faulty consoles SUCK so I hope this is minor thing and mine is ok when it launches:messenger_savoring:
Demon's Souls came out over a decade ago. You don't need a new console to play it

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
what are you doing on a gaming forum then complaining? Most people here would probably say it’s a wise use of their money as it brings them happiness..... it is for me anyway.

such a troll

Good question and I'm going to answer in a legit way which I shouldn't even have to: I don't have sympathy for stupid people using their money unwisely, exactly like those cynical corporations and therefor I could want them to scam, abuse and ruin these people out of their money.

The problem is that I'm also sane, passionate and want the best products: these stupid people are the reason why the whole innovative, creative and products industries are getting worse and worse. By accepting to continue voting "degenerate" with their wallet, these people are the reason why innovation is dead, smart and better design is dead, better, more creative and fun or practical products or games are dead, objective sanity in the criticism of these product enabling company to know where to aim is dead.

Which eventually does not just alienates and disgusts what I believe to be still a majority of smart people, but also actually destroys the value produced by these products, and eventually the company behind making it. But again in the absence of sanity, stupid degenerate I could treat like companies and medias since that's what you deserve or...I prefer to "troll" in order to show the few that sanity still exist and maybe distill some sense into other.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It doesn't look like PS5 issues are widespread (let's remember that all the people without any issues with their consoles are staying silent on social media) so you're basically taking the same risk as with most new hardware.

Like I've said you can play it safe and keep your PS4 or wait for the first updated model with less day1 flaws (or at least for the updated firmware).

I played some CoD MP and Astros Playroom so far, without issues. I have not played Valhalla or Spider-Man MM yet.
My set up has standard WD external USB HDD connected to the PS5. I shut down every time, no rest mode (Not ready to risk issues with that yet).

GeorgPrime

Banned
After reading the PS5 tech issue thread on reddit I am starting to get really anxious about what's going on.

From rest mode not working, controllers not charging, graphics issues in games, full on PS5 crashes and random shut downs, games being randomly uninstalled by the PS5, download bugs, PS4 games being locked for no reason in a person's primary account, and reports of PS5s bricking after 30 mins of use, I'm not sure what to do when I get my PS5 on the 19th.

Is this not freaking anyone else out? Nothing has been said by Sony and no one knows when any sort of patch will be released.

How are current PS5 Gaf users dealing with this news?

You forgot the automatic downscaling to PS 4 versions of PS 5 games xD

But stuff like this is to be expected from a exclusive 500 Dollar Beta test.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

The only issue I noticed so far (that is obvious) is the controller charging.
I hook it up directly to the PS5, it lights up but when I start the console it shows less than 100% after hours of charging.
I'm guessing it is reading the battery level wrong since I have not ran out of juice in all the hours I have played it.

MrS

Banned
ACG, who was one of the first people in games media to have their PS5 crap out on him said tonight that his replacement PS5 is also acting up now.

it makes me wonder if all the ones acting up are coming from the same place? Is there anyway to track lot numbers and see if there’s some connection?

Karak Karak what issues are you having now pal? Details please

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Good question and I'm going to answer in a legit way which I shouldn't even have to: I don't have sympathy for stupid people using their money unwisely, exactly like those cynical corporations and therefor I could want them to scam, abuse and ruin these people out of their money.

The problem is that I'm also sane, passionate and want the best products: these stupid people are the reason why the whole innovative, creative and products industries are getting worse and worse. By accepting to continue voting "degenerate" with their wallet, these people are the reason why innovation is dead, smart and better design is dead, better, more creative and fun or practical products or games are dead, objective sanity in the criticism of these product enabling company to know where to aim is dead.

Which eventually does not just alienates and disgusts what I believe to be still a majority of smart people, but also actually destroys the value produced by these products, and eventually the company behind making it. But again in the absence of sanity, stupid degenerate I could treat like companies and medias since that's what you deserve or...I prefer to "troll" in order to show the few that sanity still exist and maybe distill some sense into other.

ok mate....... no one was questioning your sanity. I'm going to go play my PS5 and just enjoy it and hope it doesn't break, which it probably won't :)

You're freaking out, but you won't cancel your preorder? Sounds like you're not freaking out, and just want some attention. Some of us can't even buy a console this year, because it might not even release in our countries until 2021, and you're whining about normal failure rates on a system you already have preordered. Is this thread going the way you expected it would? Didn't think this one through properly, did you?

Apart from the trolls it's actually going perfectly well. Even Karak has been posting in here with his console woes and considering we are over 5 pages in with only a few of you assholes trying to ruin the thread, I'd say I'm happy with the general mood and attitude of everyone here.

Thanks for checking in with me though. You really didn't have to.

Last edited:
We are going through a deadly pandemic and you're freaking out because your warranty-covered console may be faulty? Your priority scale seems a little messed up

How dare people get upset that they've spent over £/$500 of their hard earned cash on a new console to only be riddled with problems! How dare the consumers! How very dare they the bunch of Karens & Kyles!!

I don't get this "being careful" logic.

Just play it and if you got a bad one, send it for repair. You can only delay the inevitable for so long if you have a buggy console.

Just enjoy it when you get it and cross that bridge if you get to it.

They believe is a software problem and not a hardware one. So they are being careful until Sont releases a patch.

Top Bottom