• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 issues are freaking me out.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol try being a computer user who has spent thousands on your machine and it still crashes

look if you got a bum machine, that sucks for you, but don't pretend like your isolated experience is the same as other people.

it is hilarious when i see posts like "how are people taking this news?" as if the news that someone's busted system is supposed to make me feel something. lol. you guys really do this rah-rah console team bullshit, don't you?

i played my console pretty much non stop for 4 days and had a total of 3 game crashes. i might get that number of crashes just playing games in Steam on a normal weekend. difference is the PS5 takes all of 3 seconds to restart a game.

Last edited:
lol try being a computer user who has spent thousands on your machine and it still crashes

look if you got a bum machine, that sucks for you, but don't pretend like your isolated experience is the same as other people.

it is hilarious when i see posts like "how are people taking this news?" as if the news that someone's busted system is supposed to make me feel something. lol. you guys really do this rah-rah console team bullshit, don't you?

i played my console pretty much non stop for 4 days and had a total of 3 game crashes. i might get that number of crashes just playing games in Steam on a normal weekend. difference is the PS5 takes all of 3 seconds to restart a game.

To be fair not everyone has the same experience of spending over 1K on a PC with it only to crash. Plus PCs are very different.

If you know what your doing you can take apart a PC and immediately try to resolve the problem. You can't do that with the PS5.

Do not remind me. A mate of mine bought a GTX 2080 when it first came out and kept getting constant display issues. Had to wait for a GPU & Chipset drivers for the issue to be fixed and even then, the issue comes back once in a blue moon when Windows release a new update and have to reinstall the drivers.

Andodalf

Banned
I've only had one crash is Spider-Man Remastered, but I have been getting some weird stutter that happens when a trophy pops, but it's not every time, only very occasionally.

Karak

Karak Karak what issues are you having now pal? Details please
First systems have issues. They just do.
That being said. Second system no external used no spiderman installed it had already got the widespread queue error thing with a couple games and...worse with DLC for games. meaning if the queue error for a game pops up but with the dlc of that game your forced to reset the ps5 to factory due to that. I can't NOT been able to figure a way around that yet

What an immature and pathetic attitude.

Projection much?

You're literally 'freaking out' about reported bugs of a videogame console you don't even own. That is not normal.

It's a stupid as an iPhone 11 user 'freaking out' about the bugs of an iPhone 12 that they don't own. Everyone would assume this person has mental problems.

Last edited:
Projection much?

You're literally 'freaking out' about reported bugs of a videogame console you don't even own. That is not normal.

It's a stupid as an iPhone 11 user 'freaking out' about the bugs of an iPhone 12 that they don't own. Everyone would assume this person would have mental problems.

Wah wah I can't behave like a mature adult and let someone be worried about something on a games forum without having to try and insult them! Wah wah!

That being said. Second system no external used no spiderman installed it had already got the widespread queue error thing with a couple games and...worse with DLC for games. meaning if the queue error for a game pops up but with the dlc of that game your forced to reset the ps5 to factory due to that. I can't NOT been able to figure a way around that yet

Oof that's rough. Especially as it's your second system.

I'm going to be downloading NMS and Destiny 2 Beyond Light so hopefully I don't run into those same issues!

Sony really need to get the stick out of their ass and release a patch. It's getting ridiculous.

Last edited:
Wah wah I can't behave like a mature adult and let someone be worried about something on a games forum without having to try and insult them! Wah wah!

I'm saying this from a good place. A luxury item that you don't have is introducing problems into your life. You should really step back and evaluate why that is. It's not normal.

jaysius

Banned

This pairs interestingly with your remarks about how reviewers are chastising each other for talking about BUGS in reviews.

Some of the issues you've mentioned are uncommon, but the one about the DLC and having to FACTORY RESET the PS5 because of a stupid thing seems more common.

Karak

Oof that's rough. Especially as it's your second system.

I'm going to be downloading NMS and Destiny 2 Beyond Light so hopefully I don't run into those same issues!

Sony really need to get the stick out of their ass and release a patch. It's getting ridiculous.
Well i am sure they also want to make sure that the patch is good too.

If I was like most people on youtube I would have 50 videos all with me making weird faces at my PS5 lol

mr.dilya

Banned
It doesn't look like PS5 issues are widespread (let's remember that all the people without any issues with their consoles are staying silent on social media) so you're basically taking the same risk as with most new hardware.

Like I've said you can play it safe and keep your PS4 or wait for the first updated model with less day1 flaws (or at least for the updated firmware).

It's looking widespread enough to cause concern to me. 2013 wasn't ages ago, the internet and social media were around and in full swing....I don't remember seeing even half the amount of reported issues with the launch consoles back then. I think it has something to do with rushed production due to the pandemic. But you are right, anybody who is buying these consoles day 1 is taking a risk, but at the same time people need to tone down their fanboyism and stop trying to make excuses for Sony. They should have delayed the launch and took some extra time for quality control, people would have understood.

I don't get the shitty drive bys. OP and I am guessing a few others (me included) are worried that our consoles will have problems, bricking even when we get our hands on it.
Yes there is warranty BUT even then, you will have to send it back and wait even longer to get a replacement console which btw isn't guaranteed to be safe either.

I can't wait to get mine on thursday though. I am not freaking out, just a tad worried.
Hopefully we all get good hardware. :)

Karak

I don't get the shitty drive bys. OP and I am guessing a few others (me included) are worried that our consoles will have problems, bricking even when we get our hands on it.
Yes there is warranty BUT even then, you will have to send it back and wait even longer to get a replacement console which btw isn't guaranteed to be safe either.

I can't wait to get mine on thursday though. I am not freaking out, just a tad worried.
Hopefully we all get good hardware. :)
Hmm. I haven't been checking much but "its under warranty" isn't actually a valid discussion point as that would also be ignoring lost time, travel, ship time back replacement time, any other situations/planned and possible sunk costs. That would be arguing endpoint over the process so ya I totally know why that would bother you. However you do see that in any item int the world when something is released.

Seen a few with faulty GPUs but you would know straight away it was broken and be able to exchange it.

The CE-108255-1 crash seems fairly common and Sony are saying it is software but you would have thought it would have come up in testing if it was only a software issue - then again we've just had 7 years of PS4 stability updates so shit happens in programming I guess.

I am a bit concerned about coil whine as my PS4 was unbearable unless I had headphones on and I quite often play while listening to a podcast or something but those are the risks you take with any new tech I guess.

xacto

I was asking Cas (Fextralife) earlier, he's been playing Demon's Souls for the last couple of day, about any issues with his PS5; he mentioned one system freeze while trying to launch DS, and the download queue thing. He said his console does not have any noticeable coil whine, as far as he can tell.

I really hope people will get their PS5 problems solved, it's really a bummer to go through all that, especially with these lockdowns that make things happen at very slow pace.

I intend to get a PS5 (if I can find one) before Christmas, and I would really like to get a good one; my OG PS4 is still working perfectly, bought it basically day 1 back in 2013.

xacto

All I'm hoping is that A) Sony are aware of what's going on B) They are working on a decent patch as Karak says and C) This patch will be delivered pretty damn soon.

It will be interesting to see if Sony acknowledges these issues, and release some kind of stability patch, or just release the patch without saying anything about what's happening to some of the users.

I would love that Sony says something, anything about it, it would make for good PR for them and also help people that need it.

dcx4610

MVG mentioned the coil whine in his latest video and shows his has it as well. Once again, I'm convinced they all have it and some people just aren't sensitive to it. It doesn't affect performance but it's something to consider and something they'll probably fix in a future revision.

MrS

Banned
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate you.

ManaByte

Gold Member
All I'm hoping is that A) Sony are aware of what's going on B) They are working on a decent patch as Karak says and C) This patch will be delivered pretty damn soon.

Right after TLOU was released on the PS3, Sony released a busted FW that bricked systems. It took at least three days after release for Sony to update the scripts for their phone support to address it (before that they were denying anything happened and just told people to re-update their bricked consoles) and then it took another few days for Tokyo to update the FW and fix the bricked systems. Since I called Sony the day it bricked the console and got bullshit as a response, I ended up with a year of PS+ as an apology.

My PS5 has hard crashed once so far. The screen just froze during the first 15 minutes of Spiderman. It was totally unresponsive. Had to hold power button down for awhile to hard boot it. Upon reboot it told me it was going through error recovery. Since then Spiderman has been almost unplayable in terms of jitter. Not sure if its framerate because it seems to be linked to his animations and not camera movements. Photomode felt smooth. I tried messing with Picture settings including BFI and such. Didnt help. Restarting game or playstation doesn't help. Might make a video later if I have time to demonstrate. Astrobot has had zero issues. Im worried.

I had some graphical issues, mostly vertical lines and a few game crashes but all of it was rectified by simply urinating into the back of the console.
Almost immediately my core temps were down five degrees, A gain of 22.2 fps was achieved, and I was able to see the matrix surrounding the console.

My PS5 has hard crashed once so far. The screen just froze during the first 15 minutes of Spiderman. It was totally unresponsive. Had to hold power button down for awhile to hard boot it. Upon reboot it told me it was going through error recovery. Since then Spiderman has been almost unplayable in terms of jitter. Not sure if its framerate because it seems to be linked to his animations and not camera movements. Photomode felt smooth. I tried messing with Picture settings including BFI and such. Didnt help. Restarting game or playstation doesn't help. Might make a video later if I have time to demonstrate. Astrobot has had zero issues. Im worried.

Just a thought, but have you tried doing a factory reset to see if it could fix the problem? It's annoying but seems to be a solution for other problems happening.

Definitely sucks though. That's crap. :/

THEAP99

Banned
God fucking dammit :messenger_downcast_sweat: I think my ps5 may be defective.

I haven't had a single crash or any issue at all like that, but rather the console itself is not quiet like the reviewers claim.

I've seen people claim it's coil whine or whatever.. but mine has varying degrees to it.

Check it out. It's like when I pause the game on astro Playroom the coil whine changes pitches. Same if I un-pause it. In fact, whenever I move the camera around it even seems as if there's varying degrees of the whine.

Is this even coil whine? I saw people say it's normal but I'm afraid it's defective because the pitch of the whine will change based on what I'm doing.. :(

It's like I'll close the game and the level of it will change. This happens in Spider-man as well. In fuck I think notice now that Spiderman makes my fans go a lot more now. With my headphones on I of course don't hear it.. but come on this can't be normal. I can't imagine how my roommate will handle this if he can hear. This will be fucking humiliation

What do I do?

Mozza

Bro, it's been rough being a ps5 owner this past day or so. I've encountered 0 issues but it's because I'm trying so hard to avoid my console breaking to the point where I'm missing out on features. When you get yours, I suggest u follow these guidelines as I've had a flawless experience so far:

- first I'd recommend letting the console air out and get used to air temperature in the room after being in packaging for a bit and through cold climates

- do not connect external storage

-do not transfer data from ps4
-just upload ur ps4 game saves to cloud storage so u can play those on ps5 and load them up with the saves from ur ps4

-do not use rest mode at all. Disable it completely when u get ur ps5

-don't play games while installing games/updates

-don't do dumb stuff like unplugging the console while it's turned on

-do not use ethernet

- do not play Spider-man remastered

-say a few prayers to God

Good luck. May God guide you to a working system my friend. So far so good for me

So basically do not use the console just in case it breaks, or just wait a while for a console that does not have any issues and some decent next generation games to play on it, the exact same advice goes for the Xbox series X.

cMonry

Neo Member
something they'll probably fix in a future revision.
Whoa, that's bold statement. Coil whine started to appear widely with PS4 Pro with each subsequent revision having it worse than the previous one. I bet we'll have to wait for a Slim revision with improved energy consumption to mitigate this issue.

Grinchy

Banned
I have had a few crashes on games here and there. Most have been on COD, but I've read about people on PC crashing all the time so I'm not ready to blame the PS5 for that one. But, one of the crashes from COD was so bad that my PS5 just completely shut itself off. After getting it back on, I've probably played another 7+ hours of it online without any other crashes.

Demon's Souls has had a crash and also a weird moment while fighting the Tower Knight where I kept having this one second screen blackout. It happened a few times during the fight.

Bro, it's been rough being a ps5 owner this past day or so. I've encountered 0 issues but it's because I'm trying so hard to avoid my console breaking to the point where I'm missing out on features. When you get yours, I suggest u follow these guidelines as I've had a flawless experience so far:

- first I'd recommend letting the console air out and get used to air temperature in the room after being in packaging for a bit and through cold climates

- do not connect external storage

-do not transfer data from ps4
-just upload ur ps4 game saves to cloud storage so u can play those on ps5 and load them up with the saves from ur ps4

-do not use rest mode at all. Disable it completely when u get ur ps5

-don't play games while installing games/updates

-don't do dumb stuff like unplugging the console while it's turned on

-do not use ethernet

- do not play Spider-man remastered

-say a few prayers to God

Good luck. May God guide you to a working system my friend. So far so good for me

- Don't put it near light, especially sunlight

- Don't feed it after midnight

- Don't let it get wet with water

Just as I thought OP was being hyperbolic, my PS5 almost gave me a heart attach tonight.

Was playing Astro's playroom and the loading screen last forever, I was freaked and hard shut the console then restarted, the issue persisted.
Just as I was gonna search online how to return PS5, I checked the download center and found Miles Morales was being copied for update. I guess that was where it took all SSD bandwidth. After the update everything went normal.

Although I still feel the pain for forced shutting down my PS5 for twice. The UI definitely need more polishing, when I turned on the console no notification whatsoever telling me that there were games currently undergoing update.

DonJorginho

Banned
Just got a system update....got stuck in a repairing drive loop...had to pull the power cord....now a black screen and nothing

sigh
Try holding down the power button whilst plugged out to ensue a power drain, then put the plug back in after 5-10 minutes and hold down the power button again till you hear two beeps

Last edited:
Try holding down the power button whilst plugged out to ensue a power drain, then put the plug back in after 5-10 minutes and hold down the power button again till you hear two beeps
Yeah I unplugged everything and started it back up again with no external plugged in....it got to the startup screen but when I went to plug in the external drive it went back into the repair loop again

I cant find the patch notes

SsOudDG.jpg

TheZink

I’ve actually decided to return my PS5 today. The buzz is just getting on my nerves. I’d prefer a louder fan than hearing coil whine all the time. Posted a video below. You could hear it from 10 feet away fairly easily.

ps. Also just tested positive for Covid. 🤦‍♂️

My returned PS5

sorry the video won’t work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom