• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

twilo99

Is this supposed to have a disk drive? That's dead weight and it needs to go. Just have a optional CD drive peripheral for the boomers and be done with it.

That space can be used for better cooling, packaging, and to save weight overall.

I think it would be fine if they were adding 3d cache but they aren’t doing that either it seems

That would certainly make a big difference.

Nvzman

Except Sony themselves stated the PS4 Pro was made to keep people from jumping to PC about midgen to keep them in the PS ecosystem

These companies only care about your dollar, period
Which is proving my point exactly, PS4 was extremely behind which is why the Pro exists. The PS5 is not, hence it being even more niche.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Its going to be hard for the majority of people to not use the TF metric to base performance on since (especially Xbox) was screaming it every chance they got

Have been saying it for maybe close to a year here TFs wont be the buzzword but RT will be for the Pro

Plus again people are going to see the actual TF number for the Pro and think its weak but wait for performance numbers to roll in

Another side note once the TF numbers are out there I am quite certain the "armies" have their marching orders to get out there the supposed TF numbers of the next xbox the closer the Pro gets to launching
You would think that we've been through this ignoramus TF shit already from the beginning of this gen. But it would not surprise me one bit if it repeats.

Last edited:

leizzra

Can’t really compare the two. It’s DIY vs out of the box.
Well it’s much closer comparison then cameras and TVs. And as there are people that are going from consoles to PC it’s even closer.

If only 15% of the potential 100.000.000 userbase thinks like that it’s a viable business decision.

From where are those numbers? For one mid-gen update it would probably be ok, because after PS4 Pro Sony is doing another. But it’s not a 1k console but probably closer to $599 (just like PS4 = PS4 Pro price ). If it was $400 more expensive then the percentage would be smaller I bet. And for what it’ll be the price would be even bigger overkill.

Just look at the yearly released TVs from Sony. They go up to 3500€ and only sell low volume, but it still makes sense for Sony to sell them.

TVs don’t need different versions of shows/movies for each TV models, which requires more work from production companies. Consoles do.

$399 - 1080/30fps
$599 - 1440p/30fps
$1000 - 4k/120fps

What u gonna get?

Or, another option, you don't care about GTA, but that $1000 console allows you to play your favorite single player game, which has been stuck at 4k/30fps for years, in glorious 4k/120fps with ray tracing and much higher fidelity.

What u gonna do? Settle for lower quality and lower frames when you can have a much better experience for 400 more dollars?

For me image quality is more important then higher frame rate (most of the times). So I’m not interested in 120fps. 60 maybe, but it’s not a must. I would be ok with 1440 if the image quality would be good. If the 1k console is giving me only higher resolution and more frames then it’s not my priority. What I would like would be better lighting, textures, less aggressive LOD, higher polycount models or more advanced shaders. This is where I see the improvements and proper utilization of better hardware. Unfortunately I wouldn’t received that, because of other hardware versions.

Last edited:

Skifi28

TVs don’t need different versions of shows/movies for each TV models, which requires more work from production companies. Consoles do.
It's not mandatory. Even when the pro was out, many devopers didn't have any enhancements for their games. The content works by default whether the devopers bother supporting it specifically or not, much like TV content doesn't have to be 8k because some people will watch it on their new shiny TV.

It's also much easier to support more powerful hardware than downgrade for something like the S. The best things is that many games already have uncapped framerates or toggles so they can get enhanced without any devopers intervention whatsoever.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
People also tend to ignore the fact that PSVR had a lot to do with PS4 Pro being released, as base PS4 struggled with the bare minimum requirements for VR.
PS4 Pro released like a month after PSVR.
MS released the One X a year after PS4 Pro, to stay competitive.

But neither of these are the case this gen, reducing the need for a PS5 Pro further.
People also forget that Playstation has always been a trojan horse for Sony’s other hardware divisions.

PS1 - CD
PS2 - DVD
PS3 - Blu-Ray
PS4 - 1080P TV’s
PS4 Pro / PS5 - 4K TV’s
PS5 Pro / PS6 - 8K TV’s

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What's funny is that those people think they can actually change things.

News flash things actually got worse for them.

😆
Hate to go here but also wonder how much their (Xbox) fucked up naming of their consoles hurt them in sales with the pure casual buyer especially buying from someone like WalMart and asking the 75 year old lady working the register for help who normally works in house goods and is just filling in

ChiefDada

Which is proving my point exactly, PS4 was extremely behind which is why the Pro exists. The PS5 is not, hence it being even more niche.

PS4 Pro did not significantly improve the 2 major bottlenecks of base PS4: CPU and HDD. It was mainly a response to mass adoption of 4k TVs.

Base PS5 is behind - it's main deficiency this gen is ray tracing, due in large part to AMD inability to keep up. Our resident insider Heisenberg, Tom Henderson, Kepler, and Jeff Grubb have all stated that RT performance is the main goal of PS5 Pro. Even Cerny quote emphasizes RT focus by labeling it as the 3rd era of graphics after 2D and 3D. It is also different this time around because base PS5 has HW RT support, so there is no risk of alienating base PS5 users with key game design features. As an example, both platforms can run a game designed entirely around RTGI, PS5 Pro will just crank the fidelity to a much higher level. That wouldn't have been the case if PS4 Pro included Zen CPU or fast SSD.

Nvzman

PS4 Pro did not significantly improve the 2 major bottlenecks of base PS4: CPU and HDD. It was mainly a response to mass adoption of 4k TVs.

Base PS5 is behind - it's main deficiency this gen is ray tracing, due in large part to AMD inability to keep up. Our resident insider Heisenberg, Tom Henderson, Kepler, and Jeff Grubb have all stated that RT performance is the main goal of PS5 Pro. Even Cerny quote emphasizes RT focus by labeling it as the 3rd era of graphics after 2D and 3D. It is also different this time around because base PS5 has HW RT support, so there is no risk of alienating base PS5 users with key game design features. As an example, both platforms can run a game designed entirely around RTGI, PS5 Pro will just crank the fidelity to a much higher level. That wouldn't have been the case if PS4 Pro included Zen CPU or fast SSD
In 2016 SSDs weren't extremely common (or cheap) yet, and on top of that CPU speeds were irrelevant to consumer demands. 4K was becoming in demand as well as PSVR was being developed, hence the Pro making sense to create.

It's very interesting reading these replies completely failing to understand marketing. 95% of consumers buying consoles do not care about "oh the CPU is so weak" or "oh it's using dynamic resolution" or "oh the Ray tracing support isn't good". People DID care that they just spent $1000-$2000 on their brand new 4K TV and the PS4 only outputs 1080p at best and "looks blurry". So it serves a purpose even to those not tech-savvy.
On top of that, saying the ray-tracing support on a PS5 Pro would be dramatically better is kidding themselves, RDNA3 cards still have pretty crap RT performance at the lower end of the card lineup (although a step up from RDNA2), it be a minor difference at best, especially considering this would be an APU focused on efficiency and not a dGPU.

You can cope all you want, PS5 Pro would be ultra-niche, which is why I still don't even believe this is a real product. Someone here assumed maybe 20% of PS5 owners owning one, and that's an incredibly generous number. I cannot imagine the general public giving a shit in the slightest about a PS5 Pro, especially considering a good chunk of PS4 owners probably just upgraded with Spider-Man 2.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

With RDNA3+, its easier to get DIC to work as its something that the GPU does for the devs and that scheduling can improve (drivers), basically the GPU should be able to group all instructions and see to it that as many 32-wide instructions are occupying ALUs in pairs. And yes, Sony's first party can utilize that, at the end of the day it's an optimization thing, if done, GPUs that support that kinda code would perform significantly faster, and those that don't would work just the way they always did.

Thanks, I remember former Unity dev getting very excited about RDNA 3.5 architectural changes, is this the same thing he's talking about? Also, do we know what types of workloads in layman terms are advantageous for dual issue?

Killjoy-NL

People also forget that Playstation has always been a trojan horse for Sony’s other hardware divisions.

PS1 - CD
PS2 - DVD
PS3 - Blu-Ray
PS4 - 1080P TV’s
PS4 Pro / PS5 - 4K TV’s
PS5 Pro / PS6 - 8K TV’s
And just like I said earlier, they killed multiple birds with one stone.

Changes nothing about the fact that this gen, there is little need for a Pro console.

4K has no wow-factor anymore.
PSVR2 performance is good.
Competition is almost non-existent.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I haven't kept up with the specs leaks at all but is this supposed to be like the doubling gpu strategy like ps4 pro?
8as604.jpg

Probably

ChiefDada

In 2016 SSDs weren't extremely common (or cheap) yet, and on top of that CPU speeds were irrelevant to consumer demands. 4K was becoming in demand as well as PSVR was being developed, hence the Pro making sense to create.

It's very interesting reading these replies completely failing to understand marketing. 95% of consumers buying consoles do not care about "oh the CPU is so weak" or "oh it's using dynamic resolution" or "oh the Ray tracing support isn't good". People DID care that they just spent $1000-$2000 on their brand new 4K TV and the PS4 only outputs 1080p at best and "looks blurry". So it serves a purpose even to those not tech-savvy.
On top of that, saying the ray-tracing support on a PS5 Pro would be dramatically better is kidding themselves, RDNA3 cards still have pretty crap RT performance at the lower end of the card lineup (although a step up from RDNA2), it be a minor difference at best, especially considering this would be an APU focused on efficiency and not a dGPU.

You can cope all you want, PS5 Pro would be ultra-niche, which is why I still don't even believe this is a real product. Someone here assumed maybe 20% of PS5 owners owning one, and that's an incredibly generous number. I cannot imagine the general public giving a shit in the slightest about a PS5 Pro, especially considering a good chunk of PS4 owners probably just upgraded with Spider-Man 2.

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

MikeM

Changes nothing about the fact that this gen, there is little need for a Pro console.

Username checks out

bitbydeath

Gold Member

To sell 8K TV’s and push it as the new medium, as they have done before.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

PS1 - CD
PS2 - DVD
PS3 - Blu-Ray
PS4 - 1080P TV’s
PS4 Pro / PS5 - 4K TV’s
PS5 Pro / PS6 - 8K TV’s
8K TVs won't be mainstream even in 10 years
There is no point for TVs manufacturers to go 8K when even the average TV channels don't have 1080p

bitbydeath

Gold Member
8K TVs won't be mainstream even in 10 years
There is no point for TVs manufacturers to go 8K when even the average TV channels don't have 1080p
They won’t be without incentive. That’s where Playstation comes in. The only reason we use Blu-rays today is because of PS3, if not for that push we would have been relegated to HD DVD.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
No in both cases.

We'll use mine for example.

EVGA 3090Ti
96GB DDR5 @ 6800MHz

No $1000 console is touching that in 2023/4. 2024, $1000 console stronger than a 4090? Lay off whatever crack pipe you thought was a good idea to use before typing that.

As for convenience — that's up to the individual. I lose none with my rig. And please, use the multiquote feature this site offers.
I mean, this is coming from someone who says that if the PS5 Pro isn't 4080-tier in GPU performance, it'll be disappointing.

Mr.Phoenix

Thanks, I remember former Unity dev getting very excited about RDNA 3.5 architectural changes, is this the same thing he's talking about? Also, do we know what types of workloads in layman terms are advantageous for dual issue?

Well, hard to say, since PS5pro is going to be RDNA3.5 and I would expect some changes are made to the somewhat rather limited implementation of DIC in RDNA3.

However, in RDNA3, if going buy DIC's actual name, its called Vector Operation, Dual. Which as the name suggests are for vector operations. 32 wide vector operations to be exact. But the limitations don't just end there, it's limited to vector operations with two inputs and one output. So basically the add and subtract stuff. No fused multiply-add stuff. It also takes a hit on your cache and cache bandwidth, since you are running double the amount of code and storing twice the amount of results than you otherwise would have been doing.

Killjoy-NL

1080P TV’s aren’t widely available for purchase anymore, I’d say that makes 4K the current standard.
Could be, but that still leaves movies and games.
8K is completely pointless for now.

Apart from a lot of people that still actually need to make the jump from full HD to 4K tvs.

Last edited:

Quantum253

PS1 - CD
PS2 - DVD
PS3 - Blu-Ray
PS4 - 1080P TV’s
PS4 Pro / PS5 - 4K TV’s
PS5 Pro / PS6 - 8K TV’s
Back in the day, a PS3 was cheaper than Blu-Ray players. I knew a couple of people who weren't that into games but didn't want to drop 1K on a player. A PS3 was an interesting prospect taking in cutting-edge technology at the time hundreds cheaper than a stand-alone unit.

Killjoy-NL

Same issues were raised when PS4 Pro was rumoured to feature 4K, history repeats.
Sure, but then there was also a pandemic that put a lot on hold and things aren't exactly going great globally.

I don't see a big push for 8k happening until next-next-gen, tbh.

But we'll see. I'll wait for Sony to officially announce a Pro. Until then, I'll take everything as nothing but rumors, with little reason to release a Pro since MS didn't seem to have any plans gping by those leaks a while ago.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Sure, but then there was also a pandemic that put a lot on hold and things aren't exactly going great globally.

I don't see a big push for 8k happening until next-next-gen, tbh.

But we'll see. I'll wait for Sony to officially announce a Pro. Until then, I'll take everything as nothing but rumors, with little reason to release a Pro since MS didn't seem to have any plans gping by those leaks a while ago.
MS doesn’t need any plans for Sony to push their own hardware. Tom Henderson has a pretty solid track record and the move to 8K would be just Sony doing what Sony always does.

Killjoy-NL

MS doesn’t need any plans for Sony to push their own hardware. Tom Henderson has a pretty solid track record and the move to 8K would be just Sony doing what Sony always does.
True, but I was talking about how there is little need for a Pro.

Also, idc about Henderson. I never even said he's talking nonsense.

Besides, wasn't there once a Gaffer called CBOAT that was almost always spot-on and then got into a shitstorm because he was fed false info or something like that?
Insiders aren't right all the time so until Sony comes out with an official announcement, I'll take all these rumors with a grain of salt.

And if I'm wrong, I'm cool with that. Already got the money for a Pro ready.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

The need would be for Sony to make bank on their 8K TV’s. Your needs may differ from Sonys however.
Also true, but that changes little about what I said imo.

Anyway, I edited my previous post:

Besides, wasn't there once a Gaffer called CBOAT that was almost always spot-on and then got into a shitstorm because he was fed false info or something like that?
Insiders aren't right all the time so until Sony comes out with an official announcement, I'll take all these rumors with a grain of salt.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I have said this before here but I have been in Discord with Spencer and Ybarra (while he was still at Xbox) and even back then they said of some upcoming projects that have never surfaced

Not sure if those were canceled or what but even coming from the president and VP it seems those plans changed

So yeah even the most reliable "insiders" will be wrong at times

Killjoy-NL

I have said this before here but I have been in Discord with Spencer and Ybarra (while he was still at Xbox) and even back then they said of some upcoming projects that have never surfaced

Not sure if those were canceled or what but even coming from the president and VP it seems those plans changed

So yeah even the most reliable "insiders" will be wrong at times
Makes sense.

That's also something I have adressed before, what if the info that Henderson received is correct, but it's a situation as you describe it?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Makes sense.

That's also something I have adressed before, what if the info that Henderson received is correct, but it's a situation as you describe it?
I will just say this when RGT and Henderson and Digital Foundry were all saying they didn't think a PS5 Pro was coming I kept saying it was and honestly can't say anymore than that without flying too close to the sun

As of right before Christmas I am still 100% in the boat its coming

I suppose it could always be canceled last minute but Tom's info is correct

ChiefDada

I will just say this when RGT and Henderson and Digital Foundry were all saying they didn't think a PS5 Pro was coming I kept saying it was and honestly can't say anymore than that without flying too close to the sun

As of right before Christmas I am still 100% in the boat its coming

I suppose it could always be canceled last minute but Tom's info is correct

I see.... So are you waiting to leak full PS5 Pro specs on December 31 for dramatic effect?

surprised steve urkel GIF

leizzra

It's not mandatory. Even when the pro was out, many devopers didn't have any enhancements for their games. The content works by default whether the devopers bother supporting it specifically or not, much like TV content doesn't have to be 8k because some people will watch it on their new shiny TV.
Well you just said that not every game needs to be made for Pro so what’s the point of making one or better, what’s the point of making an expensive machine then? As for TVs and the whole comparison - manufacturer is making many models of TVs, mostly 4K (but obviously not all). They have differences in image quality (more or less) but in the end you have the same media on it. It’s universal and you can’t say that it’s not using a TV to its potential. With games it doesn’t work this way.

It's also much easier to support more powerful hardware than downgrade for something like the S. The best things is that many games already have uncapped framerates or toggles so they can get enhanced without any devopers intervention whatsoever.
Yes and no. It can be easier because you have the power overhead so you just brute force the problems. In the end it’s quite lazy approach well known from PC space. You also aren’t using the potential of the hardware. Most of the times it’s easier to downgrade from high quality then to add quality to lower stuff (like character models). But you can’t or maybe rather shouldn’t do that when you are making an upgraded version of the console. In the end your baseline will be lower spec not other way around.

This discussion became a second topic here so I think that we need to agree to disagree on this ;).

When will people realize their will never be a high end console.

It's because of the power comsumption, size, thermals, price.

If you want high end go with PC.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I see.... So are you waiting to leak full PS5 Pro specs on December 31 for dramatic effect?

surprised steve urkel GIF
Sadly and being honest I very seldom get these are the full specs type of info

Even leading up to the launch of this gen Ybarra was the one I got the 20% power advantage from I said a few times in the epic next gen thread but even then he wouldn't give me the exact numbers

And this is a guy who told me about a month before telling anyone else outside his family he was leaving Xbox including what they offered him salary wise so they keep those exact figures a very closely guarded secret

I pray ps5 pro rumors about machine learning upscaler are true so we can ditch FSR2. Alan Wake 2 is ruined due to FSR2 and devs insistence upon using it with these really low base resolutions. The aliasing/shimmering/artifacts are SO god damn ugly and distracting. Some areas of the game are not too terrible but most are and some are unbelievably bad like the Oceanview Hotel.

Skifi28

Well you just said that not every game needs to be made for Pro so what’s the point of making one or better, what’s the point of making an expensive machine then?
That's the wrong conclusion to reach from my argument. Not forcing all developers to do extra work does not mean the hardware is not needed or used. The majority of developers will be supporting the new hardware like we've seen before, it's in their best interest. But small studios without resources or technical knowledge don't have to do anything extra for their game to work. Developers also don't have to support the PS5, they can just make a PS4 version of their game and it'll work on everything, but I hope we're also not arguing that the PS5 was never needed.

As for the TV stuff, I'll leave it at that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I pray ps5 pro rumors about machine learning upscaler are true so we can ditch FSR2. Alan Wake 2 is ruined due to FSR2 and devs insistence upon using it with these really low base resolutions. The aliasing/shimmering/artifacts are SO god damn ugly and distracting. Some areas of the game are not too terrible but most are and some are unbelievably bad like the Oceanview Hotel.
It's honestly lazy to rely on a less than optimal solution in FRS. Glad Sony doesn't in their first party games, so I agree, hopefully the rumor is true about them working on a better solution to be shared.

Top Bottom