• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
2K17oN.gif

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Still think it is fucking stupid. But I just saw a post of some asshole who was happy he "upgraded" to a slim so I know there is a market for this. I just question how big it is and why they would incur extra dev costs for every fucking game to make them work on 2 sets of specs.

Robb

Gold Member
Sweet, looking forward to it. Can’t say I care much for the specs specifically, but more is always better I guess. I’m just hoping for a decent redesign.

Last edited:

MikeM

Still think it is fucking stupid. But I just saw a post of some asshole who was happy he "upgraded" to a slim so I know there is a market for this. I just question how big it is and why they would incur extra dev costs for every fucking game to make them work on 2 sets of specs.
Why is it stupid to provide options to those who want a better expereince? Sony wants to keep people who can afford PC in their ecosystem. Devs know its far easier to scale up than down (Series S).
Like they already do with Series S?
Right?

You have devs sweating with Series S on the market.
I'm sure they will be okay to upgrading their games for a PS5 Pro instead of downgrading for a Series S lmao.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I'd pay real money to see Mark Cerney get up on stage when it's revealed and say 'I'd now like to show you just how shit all your base PS5s are, in comparison to my new baby....cool,right'

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
PS4 Pro was such a waste of time except for some PSVR help, plus my ears are still ringing(literally) from the fan noise. PS5 Pro needs to be other worldly to get my attention.

See Kil, I'll never understand this, I mean, I played many games at 60fps on the Pro compared to the base 30fps versions that it was worth the price of admission for that alone.

GOW, Shadow of the colossus, Infamous second son and its DLC, TLOU, Nier automata, Nioh performance mode etc etc...

Famipan

I’m more interested in another APU die shrink on the PS5 Slim. My release PS5’s PSU’s coil whine getting incrementally louder on heavy load/high electricity consumption, makes me only want to play PS4 games on it. Give me a cool and quiet little piece please!

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
He has no issue when there's a potato tier console stinking up the generation but decides it's a problem now that Sony want to give developers additional freedom and breathing room with more power.

I wonder why.
Probably the same reason why people insist that one company's weaker console holds back their more powerful console yet suddenly believe that another company's weaker console won't hold back their more powerful console.

I wonder why.

MikeM

They are already achievable.Outside of like 10 total games everything has been fucking cross gen.Demon's Souls Remake shows what the devs could do if they were to focus on next gen alone which is telling that 3 years later It's still top 3 best looking games on the PS5.
Reminds me of Infamous Second Son. Game was a launch game and remains one of the best looking games of the PS4 gen.
I still think it's a dumb decision to spend PC prices on hardware over the course of a gen for console-priced software, but how people want to blow their money is not my concern.

Team $750+
Not everyone wants a PC though. PC has its own flaws that some don’t want to deal with.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Based on the Pro consoles from last gen I am just not super interested in them this time around. Better to wait for a full next gen console and just enjoy the one you have and get your mileage out of it thru 2027 or whenever.

Tend to agree, Last gen, mid gen, current gen just meant that there never really felt like there was a jump.

Might be worth waiting for next gen's refresh to A) get access to games your hardware won't support and B) to get the experience of something new and exciting happening!

GHG

Probably the same reason why people insist that one company's weaker console holds back their more powerful console yet suddenly believe that another company's weaker console won't hold back their more powerful console.

I wonder why.

What are you even talking about?

The pro consoles have always been underutilised due to the fact that the base consoles exist, that's the entire argument against their existence.

That's why you typically only get a resolution/FPS boost in games when upgrading to a pro console, little else.

Return to base and try again.

Last edited:
PS4 Pro was needed. PS5 was a bigger waste of time considering almost everything was still PS4 games 'cross-gen'
So it's better to play crossgen games on the worst piece of hardware...gotcha.

And stuff like Demon's Souls, Astrobot, Returnal, etc never happened. Plus...games like Gran Turismo 7 with almost instant loadings instead of waiting 40 seconds for each race to start on a PS4, playing Ghost of Tsushima at 60fps, Horizon had a huge upgrade on PS5, etc...

In this case, PS4 was not needed considering it started with less games than the PS5 and its exclusive games output was non-existant until Bloodborne...and then another year until Uncharted 4. Maybe it should've been released in 2006 only. /s

You didn’t make sense beginning to end, PC prices? 750$? What?
I meant buying the base console, and then buying the upgrade in a few years. If the PS5 Pro is $750 as I think it will be, you're looking at a minimum of $1150 spent on hardware for a whole gen, getting close to what a person with a decent gaming PC spends on upgrades over the course of 7ish years. All without the benefits of open store platforms driving prices down.

I'll admit I kind of butchered my original post. Tl;dr, PC prices for console limitations.

Top Bottom