• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Moses85

Yes, yes they do.
Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

Audiophile

Hopefully we'll get 30th Anniversary Limited Edition Pros and Slims like the launch PS4 had for the 20th Anniversary. As much as I like the PS1 though, it'd be cool if they themed it around the PS2 this time (or one of each).

Loxus

Nothing supposedly about it. Sony put in a DMCA claim against MLID, it's definitely a leaked document.

We got this leaked information way earlier relative to say the PS4 Pro (which leaked in July)

Somehow people don't want to focus on the fact that we didn't get confirmation of a PS4 Pro from Sony until September and here we are in June and people are super impatient around leaks and announcements.

Could we hear something before September? Sure. Could the PS5 Pro launch before November? Sure, but that's the precedent we have to go on.

Something I think *might* complicate matters is a 30th anniversary edition of the PS5. Consoles, plates, and controllers. And hopefully we see a 25th anniversary of the PS2 supported by plates and controllers too, which would come out or be announced in March of next year.

Big opportunity for Sony to sell quite a few peripherals, we'll see if they take it. Hopefully it's a little bit better than Jim Ryan's retirement peripherals/console.
Supposedly, because lots of things not adding up.

MikeM

Do you guys think SquareEnix would spend the development time to boost FFXVI performance on the Pro? I have a copy of the game still shrink-wrapped.
Unless the issue is on the CPU side (which I doubt), you’ll see probably a close to 60fps on a Pro with that about 1.7x GPU increase (ignoring other potential bottlenecks).

PaintTinJr

Nothing supposedly about it. Sony put in a DMCA claim against MLID, it's definitely a leaked document.

We got this leaked information way earlier relative to say the PS4 Pro (which leaked in July)

Somehow people don't want to focus on the fact that we didn't get confirmation of a PS4 Pro from Sony until September and here we are in June and people are super impatient around leaks and announcements.

Could we hear something before September? Sure. Could the PS5 Pro launch before November? Sure, but that's the precedent we have to go on.

Something I think *might* complicate matters is a 30th anniversary edition of the PS5. Consoles, plates, and controllers. And hopefully we see a 25th anniversary of the PS2 supported by plates and controllers too, which would come out or be announced in March of next year.

Big opportunity for Sony to sell quite a few peripherals, we'll see if they take it. Hopefully it's a little bit better than Jim Ryan's retirement peripherals/console.
Do we have a expanded acronym for the "MF" part of the PSML MFSR in that document?

Along with my much older predictions that Spectral Analysis is using dynamic ML based on histogram frequency analysis to concentrate ML processing on identifying high frequency areas in the native renderer used for training, first and then trying to recover as much of that lost high frequency detail in the upscale, where the player will notice it most.

If the "MF" part hasn't been labelled, yet I wonder if it stands for "multiple frequency".

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
When I really care about cranking up the fidelity, I am gonna play on my PC. This is totally useless in my life, my PS5 can play PS5 games fine.

When I really care about cranking up the fidelity, I am gonna play on my PC. This is totally useless in my life, my PS5 can play PS5 games fine.
When I first learned about RT, it was presented to me as the graal of light rendering. Being able to simply simulate light instead of loosing time to fake it, it would allow devs to iterate much faster and get better results. Spiderman 2 shows that you can go RT only in a AAA PS5 game, and in the future some of that promise may become reality for this gen and future ones. I see the PS5 Pro, and the focus on a DLSS equivalent to do the same in the long term. Helping getting better games, faster. I know that it won't be the case at first, but I hope that it will one day.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
When I first learned about RT, it was presented to me as the graal of light rendering. Being able to simply simulate light instead of loosing time to fake it, it would allow devs to iterate much faster and get better results. Spiderman 2 shows that you can go RT only in a AAA PS5 game, and in the future some of that promise may become reality for this gen and future ones. I see the PS5 Pro, and the focus on a DLSS equivalent to do the same in the long term. Helping getting better games, faster. I know that it won't be the case at first, but I hope that it will one day.
Yeah unfortunately I don't think it's quite enough on the RT front. I think some of these PC games that are doing path tracing really are realizing that dream of truly next gen lighting but it requires more than what's on offer here, and nVidia is so very far ahead on both RT and AI-baded technologies needed to make it work that I don't think Song can catch up with AMD silicon.

hussar16

they would ahve to have me do a turn in incentive where i turn in my ps5 and pay 200 dollars, becasue i am not paying 600 dollars for more frames per second and not native 4k

Yeah unfortunately I don't think it's quite enough on the RT front. I think some of these PC games that are doing path tracing really are realizing that dream of truly next gen lighting but it requires more than what's on offer here, and nVidia is so very far ahead on both RT and AI-baded technologies needed to make it work that I don't think Song can catch up with AMD silicon.
The PS5 is probably not goot enough. The PS5 Pro, with PSSR and dual compute, who knows? Hopefully the PS6 will have path tracing, and that the PS5 Pro will somehow be able to cope. A man can dream. As for AMD not being able to compete, I don't think that will be a problem for Sony. As long as they can sell 100+ millions consoles each gen, they will get to be part of the cutting edge by default, like they made SSD standard now, even if it was obviously already the case for PC for a certain time already, but they and Microsoft raised the bar. Same with RAM for another example. Unless Nividia can use their advance to control how we will do path tracing, be it by patents or people being so accoustumed to do it their way that AMD will have to follow?

Loxus

What isn't adding up?
MLID and DF having access to this kind of info without prior history and not having a good history of Sony leaking console specs.

2 Shader Engine with 60CUs don't match Cerny's previous design of 18CUs.

300TOPs and 67TFLOPs not matching.

300TOPs not matching the CU count or clocks.
The 7900XTX with 96CUs (192 AI Accelerators) and 2.5 GHz only has 123TOPs.

2.35 GHz with 60CUs not matching the 300TOPs and 67TFLOPs.

Drop clocks to 2.18 GHz not making sense. Strix Halo is rumored to run at upto 3.0 GHz @ 175W.
R11wTSL.png

Sony having a NPU for that 300TOPs would double die size looking at Strix Point NPU size, which only has 50TOPs.
dOY4DQu.jpeg

PSSR doesn't make sense from an R&D prospective. It makes more sense to share R&D with AMD to add AI/ML into FSR. Which makes sense for PC releases and we see Sony already updating the some of their PC games to FSR3.

The list goes on.
At the end of the day, Sony is still using AMD hardware. Sharing R&D helps keep the cost of the PS5 Pro down.

I'm not saying the PS5 Pro isn't real or not, I'm just saying don't expect leaks to be 100% accurate. We can't keep falling for rumors like we did with Tommy Fisher.
19m8gJX.jpeg
5Gl3kHl.jpeg

Zathalus

Do we have a expanded acronym for the "MF" part of the PSML MFSR in that document?

Along with my much older predictions that Spectral Analysis is using dynamic ML based on histogram frequency analysis to concentrate ML processing on identifying high frequency areas in the native renderer used for training, first and then trying to recover as much of that lost high frequency detail in the upscale, where the player will notice it most.

If the "MF" part hasn't been labelled, yet I wonder if it stands for "multiple frequency".
Playstation Machine Learning Multi Frame Super Resolution.

As per Sony themselves “PSSR is a machine learning-enhanced version of Temporal Anti-Aliasing Upscal (TAAU). It will replace a game's existing temporal anti-aliasing or temporal upsampling. The inputs are "quite similar to DLSS or FSR" with full HDR support.”

It’s all on the second page of that document.

Last edited:

Zathalus

MLID and DF having access to this kind of info without prior history and not having a good history of Sony leaking console specs.

2 Shader Engine with 60CUs don't match Cerny's previous design of 18CUs.
GPU architectures change, you can’t expect the GPU to keep a butterfly approach forever. PS4 Pro was the first attempt at a Pro console, I’d imagine the hardware and software design for regular console emulation has become far more advanced.
300TOPs and 67TFLOPs not matching.

300TOPs not matching the CU count or clocks.
The 7900XTX with 96CUs (192 AI Accelerators) and 2.5 GHz only has 123TOPs.

2.35 GHz with 60CUs not matching the 300TOPs and 67TFLOPs.
We have no idea how those numbers were calculated as the clock speeds of the GPU have a larger variance than prior consoles. Also the 300TOPs could be rounded up or down because it is so specific.

The comparison with the 7900XTX is also useless as we are talking about a new GPU architecture that is bringing up some large updates to ML acceleration.
Drop clocks to 2.18 GHz not making sense. Strix Halo is rumored to run at upto 3.0 GHz @ 175W.
R11wTSL.png

Sony having a NPU for that 300TOPs would double die size looking at Strix Point NPU size, which only has 50TOPs.
dOY4DQu.jpeg
Different GPU archs, different nodes (likely 6nm for Pro vs 4nm for Strix).
PSSR doesn't make sense from an R&D prospective. It makes more sense to share R&D with AMD to add AI/ML into FSR. Which makes sense for PC releases and we see Sony already updating the some of their PC games to FSR3.
PSSR may very well be based on a ML version of FSR that AMD plans to announce with RDNA4. Or Sony might have developed it because AMD is not bothering to do so. We just don’t have enough information yet.
The list goes on.
At the end of the day, Sony is still using AMD hardware. Sharing R&D helps keep the cost of the PS5 Pro down.

I'm not saying the PS5 Pro isn't real or not, I'm just saying don't expect leaks to be 100% accurate. We can't keep falling for rumors like we did with Tommy Fisher.
19m8gJX.jpeg
5Gl3kHl.jpeg
The leaks have come from like 5 different sources at this point.

Last edited:

Loxus

The PSSR architecture is fully custom, therefore I honestly don't think it's appropriate to call this particular area of the silicon "AMD hardware".
You do know AMD can provide Sony with two choices for AI/ML right?

XDNA and RDNA with the AI accelerators.
hKXUg3g.jpeg

This thinking is like thinking Sony would drop AMD RT to create their own. It just doesn't make sense from a cost prospective.

Just share R&D and build on top of what AMD already has. That way, we can avoid having a $700 console.

"quite enough" is subjective in my opinion and will differ depending on who you are asking.

I think when Mark Cerny was designing the PS5 Pro, he didn't say "let's bump up the RT by 2.5-3x" and call it a day. I Imagine judging by his past history that he approached it by saying "how much RT capability do we need so that developers can implement their RT solution in a significantly more meaningful way than they did on the PS5", or "how much RT do we need so that we can make RTGI, RT Shadows and Reflections all run simultaneously in realtime at 60 or 30 FPS". I also imagine that there was heavy developer feedback in this process as well.

Path tracing is still far from becoming a standard on PC hardware when we account for both GPU capability and especially on the number of titles implementing it. We're still years off from even full ray tracing becoming a standard let alone path tracing. I suspect however that the PS5 Pro is a step in the right direction, and hopefully it will encourage more developers to pursue and develop a fully tay-traced pipeline in their game engines.

In a related subject, I'm curious if whether Sony has gone out fishing for marketing deals with 3rd party developers to show off the Pro. If they haven't approached 4A Games yet I think they're fools... Imagine what the next Metro game will be able to pull off in the ray tracing department.

Loxus

GPU architectures change, you can’t expect the GPU to keep a butterfly approach forever. PS4 Pro was the first attempt at a Pro console, I’d imagine the hardware and software design for regular console emulation has become far more advanced.

We have no idea how those numbers were calculated as the clock speeds of the GPU have a larger variance than prior consoles. Also the 300TOPs could be rounded up or down because it is so specific.

The comparison with the 7900XTX is also useless as we are talking about a new GPU architecture that is bringing up some large updates to ML acceleration.

Different GPU archs, different nodes (likely 6nm for Pro vs 4nm for Strix).

PSSR may very well be based on a ML version of FSR that AMD plans to announce with RDNA4. Or Sony might have developed it because AMD is not bothering to do so. We just don’t have enough information yet.

The leaks have come from like 5 different sources at this point.
Clearly you don't understand AMD hardware and anything from Road to PS5.

We aren't lacking info from RDNA3.5 or RDNA4 either.
We have lots of info here.
AMD RDNA 3.5’s LLVM Changes

Examining AMD’s RDNA 4 Changes in LLVM

I can't be the only one here that's trying to make sense of the leaks. Where are all the tech guys from 2019-2020 are?

ChiefDada

You do know AMD can provide Sony with two choices for AI/ML right?

XDNA and RDNA with the AI accelerators.

Uh ok but Sony went with their own solution for whatever reason, more likely than not because it makes sense for purposes of levereging strictly for the Playstation console.

hKXUg3g.jpeg

This thinking is like thinking Sony would drop AMD RT to create their own. It just doesn't make sense from a cost prospective.

Clearly Sony has done the cost benefit analysis and decided to go "fully custom" with the ML upscaling architecture, and alternatively for RT, go with the "more powerful ray-tracing architecture" that is most likely lifted from RDNA 4.

Just share R&D and build on top of what AMD already has. That way, we can avoid having a $700 console.

There's not much "sharing" that can be done when you're building special purpose architecture that is to be used specifically for one platform, similar to PS5 I/O. Besides, all evidence points towards AMD FSR tech leaning general purpose for all GPUs to be able to run without the need for specialized hardware.

Loxus

Uh ok but Sony went with their own solution for whatever reason, more likely than not because it makes sense for purposes of levereging strictly for the Playstation console.

Clearly Sony has done the cost benefit analysis and decided to go "fully custom" with the ML upscaling architecture, and alternatively for RT, go with the "more powerful ray-tracing architecture" that is most likely lifted from RDNA 4.

There's not much "sharing" that can be done when you're building special purpose architecture that is to be used specifically for one platform, similar to PS5 I/O. Besides, all evidence points towards AMD FSR tech leaning general purpose for all GPUs to be able to run without the need for specialized hardware.
This is the guy who first leaked the PS5 Pro specs before that leak document.

AMD doesn't have SSD/IO hardware available, so it's obvious Sony would have to create their own.

Last edited:

Loxus

Right, Sony is using their own proprietary hardware for ML upscaling. That's what I've been saying.

The document isn't fake. Sony successfully struck it down via copyright claim. They were legit.
Hurricane Beryl is affecting my island and I had stuff doing.

I meant to say this
So either the document is fake and Sony is using their own hardware or the document is real but that 300TOPs is just the total TOPs.
Like this.
hf9K2ER.jpeg

But I edited out to make it a separate post, cause the 300TOPs still ain't adding up.

Last edited:

Sure and no surprises here. They also were and still are fully custom with their ID buffer that is still used in some PS5 games for different things, not only reconstruction. People are still surprised that some games using CBR are showing better results on PS5 like in Dragon dogma 2? Of course it's easy to say it's a bug on Xbox. But the most logical explanation would be that PS5 has hardware advantages with CBR reconstruction in Dragon Dogma 2 as it's the actual truth.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Hurricane Beryl is affecting my island and I had stuff doing.

Stay safe.

I meant to say this
So either the document is fake and Sony is using their own hardware

Which document are we talking about? The MLiD leak, which is what I'm referring to, states the Pro is using "fully custom architecture" for PSSR. My position is the MLiD docs which cites custom ML architecture is real because Sony successfully executed a copyright strike against the leak.

or the document is real but that 300TOPs is just the total TOPs.
Like this.
hf9K2ER.jpeg

But I edited out to make it a separate post, cause the 300TOPs still ain't adding up.

Nah, it wouldn't make sense for Sony to list TOPS performance related to other areas of GPU/CPU. the 300 TOPS is specifically related to the dedicated PSSR hw imo.

Zathalus

Clearly you don't understand AMD hardware and anything from Road to PS5.

We aren't lacking info from RDNA3.5 or RDNA4 either.
We have lots of info here.
AMD RDNA 3.5’s LLVM Changes

Examining AMD’s RDNA 4 Changes in LLVM

I can't be the only one here that's trying to make sense of the leaks. Where are all the tech guys from 2019-2020 are?
Road to PS5 is irrelevant when discussing the Pro. GPU architecture and priorities change over time. The link to RDNA4 mentions improved tensor capability and sparsity. The 300 TOPs figure is likely calculated with sparsity, as NVIDIA has done with newer generations.

Top Bottom