• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSNProfiles user discovers Dead or Alive 5 for the PS3 in the PS Store on his PS5 with a price tag. #backwardscompatibility

tusharngf

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/120861-have-i-stumbled-upon-something-here/

https://ibb.co/bH8VnCf

20220115-235637.jpg

From resetera

20220115_204318.jpg

Source:

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So if this isn't some kind of interpretation made in error how far away is the announcement?
I see it around 3 possibilities:
1- it's simply a bug
2- it is a test for integration that went public by mistake
3-It is the first step for a full merger between actual ps store and ps3 store's catalog.

I honestly think that it is only a bug for now but the recent removal of psnow cards makes me think that Spartacus may be around the corner and that we will probably know more about BC then.As for backward compatibility about ps3 I don't know if the ps5 is powerful enough to circumvent or emulate the way ps3 was built.One argument that points toward it being capable is rpcs3, sure it runs on powerful computer but can do great things and I guess that sony can get the coding to get an emulator working.The point where I am more skeptical is how those games will perform and will it be sufficiently broad to accept a significant enough number of games.

85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

There's a price tag on it. And the 2 Prince of Persia games too.
True, I was thinking DLC but that looks like the game itself.

Maybe this is the rare IT'S HAPPENING that is actually happening?

edit: Those Prince of Persia games show up on my PS5 too. They have a price, but you can only wishlist them. The content description though seems straight from the PS3 (even say it requires PS3 Firmware 3.30), and doesn't have any of the BC language that the PS4 games have.

Last edited:

killatopak

Not to derail the finger crossing for PS3 BC (I want it too), but why would anyone want vanilla DOA5 for the PS3 when Last Round is available for the PS4?

Not specifically DOA but maybe somebody wants that Vanilla experience that Last Round may have patched up. Maybe balancing or something that’s no longer available on the LR versions.

Rayderism

I will always maintain that backwards compatibility means putting my previous gen disk in the drive and being able to play it.

It's not TRUE BC if it's just streaming or some digital download from an extremely limited selection of a previous console's games. It's just fake BC at that point. There needs to be a new term made up for this streaming/digital download form of what they're calling BC.

Kinda like how my TV "says" it has HDR, but it doesn't have a full color gamut, so it can't possibly be real HDR, it's fake HDR (or as I like to call it pHakeDR), it just accepts HDR content.

Or like how games call themselves "full game" when there is tons of DLC locked behind a paywall. Let's take DOA5 as a great example, they will call it the full game, but it literally has hundreds of dollars of DLC that's not included and you have to buy separately to truly have the "full game". When any game has DLC, and it's not just included with the purchase of the "full game" automatically, they shouldn't be able to call it a "full game", it should be called the "base game".

There are a few other things like that I could mention, but I'm starting to get a little off-topic, so I'll stop.

These things really are a pet peeve of mine though. It burns my ass how companies continue to obscure terms that should have one meaning, but now means anything they decide to make it mean. And it also irritates me to know that this sort of thing will only continue.

I'll stop ranting now.

TLZ

Banned
True, I was thinking DLC but that looks like the game itself.

Maybe this is the rare IT'S HAPPENING that is actually happening?

edit: Those Prince of Persia games show up on my PS5 too. They have a price, but you can only wishlist them. The content description though seems straight from the PS3 (even say it requires PS3 Firmware 3.30), and doesn't have any of the BC language that the PS4 games have.
Went to the PS3 section in PS now and when I press on any game, I see subscribe and no price tag.

PS3 Prince of Persias are not in PS now and show up in search and show pricing. Very interesting.

I'm hopeful.

reksveks

also it's more likely that they start offering streaming ourchases for PS3 games than it is that they actually make them backwards compatible.

selling cloud versions separately works on Switch after all apparently lol
If this move effectively enables this features across all platforms (currently just limited to the cloud streaming providers), I would be extremely happy.

CamHostage

Not to derail the finger crossing for PS3 BC (I want it too), but why would anyone want vanilla DOA5 for the PS3 when Last Round is available for the PS4?
Yeah, this is (oddly) a little off tangent of the thread to talk about the actual games discovered, so hopefully this won't generate much in replies, but ideally, every version of every game available on a platform would be available to consumers, should they want it.

I don't know DOA5 specifically, probably everything's flat-out better in DOA5 LR. But maybe something little was changed, somebody's moveset/balance or some bug that could be exploited or even just the title screen, and that may make it the version somebody wants. Super Street Fighter II Turbo is the most complete version of that game, but I'd personally still pop in Hyper Fighting instead...

(*This isn't how publishers see their products, of course, so ultimately, why Tecmo would put the PS3 vanilla DOA5 up when even PS3 had Last Round, I'm not sure?
One reason may simply be that they're matching listings added to the new service to titles consumers have paid for digitally in the past. The version of DOA5 we're seeing would correspond to the earlier product listings which people bought back then, and that existed in the DB alongside the DOA5 LR product. It just happened to be DOA5 2012 was ported over first? They may not necessarily be concerned with keeping 2012 and LR versions separate, since "Spartacus" supposedly has a custom pricing structure, but they do want customers to find "my games I own" so maybe even DOA5 was a specific test case for this?)

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its always been inevitable that PSNow in its present form has a fixed and limited lifespan tied to the availability of components.

To run rack-mount servers incorporating PS3 hardware, they need a supply of CELL chips for example, so what happens when supplies of those get scarce and/or expensive to source? Moving to an emulated/virtualized solution was always going to happen in the long run, and obviously if they can implement this using PS5 generation hardware its not only a cost-saving solution, but potentially a means to further monetize their back-catalog product line directly.

It was never impossible anyway. If sony really want to do it they can. Imagine ps plus giving uou access to games across every PS console. Doing nothing with such an amazing legacy is stupid.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I will always maintain that backwards compatibility means putting my previous gen disk in the drive and being able to play it.

It's not TRUE BC if it's just streaming or some digital download from an extremely limited selection of a previous console's games.

It's only "BC" if you can stick your old PS3 disc in. That said, I didn't own a PS3 so I'd be excited to buy some games on PSN.

YES. I’ll accept nothing less. The fat PS3 is still the best console of all time when it comes to BC. Being able to play (almost) the entire catalogue of all three (at the time) PS generations was amazing – and the selection of digital PS1 and PS2 games was great too!

Neff

Yea no shit you have to buy a game if you don’t already own it. But if you have the disc you can put it in the system and it’ll allow you to download the game.

And we know this will be different? They may be Sony, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

ManaByte

Gold Member
And we know this will be different? They may be Sony, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Can you put your Twisted Metal Black game disc in your PS4 or PS5 and play that game? No you need to buy it off PSN.

Top Bottom