• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSNProfiles user discovers Dead or Alive 5 for the PS3 in the PS Store on his PS5 with a price tag. #backwardscompatibility

Fredrik

Or like how games call themselves "full game" when there is tons of DLC locked behind a paywall. Let's take DOA5 as a great example, they will call it the full game, but it literally has hundreds of dollars of DLC that's not included and you have to buy separately to truly have the "full game". When any game has DLC, and it's not just included with the purchase of the "full game" automatically, they shouldn't be able to call it a "full game", it should be called the "base game".

There are a few other things like that I could mention, but I'm starting to get a little off-topic, so I'll stop.

These things really are a pet peeve of mine though. It burns my ass how companies continue to obscure terms that should have one meaning, but now means anything they decide to make it mean. And it also irritates me to know that this sort of thing will only continue.

I'll stop ranting now.
Don’t stop, just make a new thread about that. I agree. Team Ninja has killed DOA as far as I’m concerned. I used to be a big fan and playing to unlock used to be fun and rewarding. Now it’s a money and time sink like nothing else and you’ll never unlock everything no matter how much you grind. I bet their next plan is NFTs.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Oh well, guess it is just a bug 💔 would like to see BC at least on PS5, though. Even if this isn't my main reason to have a PS5, it is always nice to have options (MotorStorm 2, Suikoden II, Resistance and Breath of Fire III are some classics I miss form PSone and PS3).

You can subscribe to PS Now to play PS3 games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't think it's happening. Why would they even bother testing/including games that already have a ps4 version?
What if you own the PS3 version and not the PS4 version
You'd be glad they bothered then
Anyway I call BS
Jeremy Renner Endgame GIF

Last edited:

wipeout364

My guess: Sony has decided game streaming is a must have feature and is going to put more effort into PSnow. Early on their was talk ofnallowing users to buy games on the service instead of subscribing and if I was betting this is what this listing is. You will be able to buy games for streaming similar to stadia and switch.

That said if they have nailed a PS3 emulator for PS5 I will be overjoyed and will be giving a standing ovation.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just let me download ps1/ps2 games and Im good

Very unlikely to be offered outside of a very curated subset of the library unfortunately due to licensing and publishing rights issues.

The key problem is of course that Sony themselves probably own less than 5% of the entire library, and so its not really up to them to offer titles for sale digitally.

yurinka

I think it can be:
  • They would implement something they hinted/mentioned in a talk for investors when talking abot the future: adding a new way to buy games (the Stadia one), where you were able to buy (not 'renting' as part of a subscription) games not as digital download or as a physical copy, but to play games via streaming from the cloud, so it would allow you to buy PS2/PS3/PS4/PS5 games to play them via streaming not only in your console, but also in PC, mobile, smart tvs and so on. It could be part of the Spartacus top tier (maybe it's required to play via streaming but the games you could buy for streaming would be all, not only the ones from the subscription). This would allow day one PS5 on streaming using a good enough for them business model, so players who don't even have a console could buy them
  • Maybe they finally are merging the different stores they had for each console into a single multiplatform one, and here is a but showing these games when they shouldn't appear there
  • A human error of someone who was adding or modifying a game in the PS Store or PS Now database
  • Another random bug

That said if they have nailed a PS3 emulator for PS5 I will be overjoyed and will be giving a standing ovation.
For some games it could be possible. For other ones, according to the main dev of the PS3 emulator PC and a Sony ICE/Insomniac programmer it wouldn't be possible to emulate them properly at real performance unless they do some black magic shit. And if they can't offer proper support, I think they won't be able to allow you to play PS3 games locally, but will do it via streaming only.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It's not TRUE BC if it's just streaming or some digital download from an extremely limited selection of a previous console's games. It's just fake BC at that point.
Sure? But only MS has ever called 'limited library' BC, neither Nintendo or Sony had ever used the term to reference their limited compatibility offerings.
And to that end - we know we're never getting 'true' library compatibility for PS3 gen or older - that's been an immutable fact now for multiple generations, for all platform holders. The licensing mine-field is not something that is ever getting fixed.

Physical media though - that's one that all of them could fix, but MS is the only one that chose to so far.

spons

Gold Member
It's absolutely possible to emulate PS3 on PS5. Sony has the full design documents for every inch of that device.
The problem is not technical. Sony is simply unwilling.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
And if they can't offer proper support, I think they won't be able to allow you to play PS3 games locally, but will do it via streaming only.
As pointed above - they need emulation solution for streaming in the first place. The PS3 bc hw-racks aren't a thing they want to indefinitely support - especially if service becomes really popular in the future, it can quickly become unsustainable.
Whether they ever offer it locally is a different story - on PS4 they've already had emulators for all platforms but Vita/PS3 and they only allowed limited access to PS2 one, so even if they get PS3 working there's no guarantee we'll ever see it directly.

Lupin25

It's absolutely possible to emulate PS3 on PS5. Sony has the full design documents for every inch of that device.
The problem is not technical. Sony is simply unwilling.

This seems less about personal reluctance and more about how they can wrap this into an attractive offer to consumers and ultimately, a profitable venture.

PS Now has been lagging behind for years, a restructuring was guaranteed and at least they can help bridge the gap with PS3 owners, as well, by doing this.

EDIT: A side note.

While this is fantastic to see, having a collection of free-floating retro games on (similar to PS1-2) PSN isn’t the best way to promote them. Definitely expecting an upgrade to the service.

Last edited:

yurinka

As pointed above - they need emulation solution for streaming in the first place. The PS3 bc hw-racks aren't a thing they want to indefinitely support - especially if service becomes really popular in the future, it can quickly become unsustainable.
Whether they ever offer it locally is a different story - on PS4 they've already had emulators for all platforms but Vita/PS3 and they only allowed limited access to PS2 one, so even if they get PS3 working there's no guarantee we'll ever see it directly.
Their PS3 hardware racks for PS Now streaming are there generating low revenue. With this more people would use them so would generate more revenue (they could add PS1 or even PS2 games streaming here if desired too). They always can add more servers, and if they run out of CELLs or 2nd hand PS3 to build them they already have implemented the typical cue system from these services for when servers are full.

PS3 can't be properly fully emulated on PS4, PS5 or current top PCs due to tech limitations with some games that take full advantage of its hardware, but yes in the future once it becomes possible (maybe with PS6 and future PC hardware) it will be the way to build new PS3 servers.

Last edited:

Elios83

I wouldn't expect local emulators.
Psnow allowed the option to buy single games before and it didn't work well infact they switched to a whole catalogue access model.
Even buying single PS2 games with local emulation didn't work on PS4 because people didn't want to pay 10-15$ for HD and trophies.

They'll just have a back catalogue of games running on their cloud servers that you can access to with a specific tier of the new service they're planning.

Neff

Can you put your Twisted Metal Black game disc in your PS4 or PS5 and play that game? No you need to buy it off PSN.

True, but that was a decision made when Sony basically had the generation all to itself after Microsoft flushed their chances of seriously competing with PS4 down the toilet right out of the gate. Very different times now, and the balance of power isn't what it was. The rumours of Sony consolidating Plus and Now is most likely a result of Game Pass gaining ground. So I wouldn't write off Sony wanting to assert their competitiveness just yet.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
They always can add more servers, and if they run out of CELLs or 2nd hand PS3 to build them
These racks don't get built out of 2nd hand retail chips - they use custom hw. Much like when BC PS3 launched - it wasn't recycling chips produced for the PS2, it was chips custom produced 'for' the PS3 (subtle tweaks, but substantial enough that you can't just reuse retail ones).
More important is that the capacity they will need for a successful service will grow 10s, 100s of times (it's both subscriber increase and covering a much larger number of regions), we're not talking about adding a few %. So yea they will need a hw-strategy that isn't reliant on overpriced chips that they don't want to manufacture anymore.

PS3 can't be properly fully emulated on PS4, PS5 or current top PCs due to tech limitations
That isn't really saying much - the question is maintaining sufficient compatibility to cover the curated selection that all of these services offer.
All the companies already have products like this out that are 'not proper full emulation' (whatever we define that as) - they exhibit minor compatibility or performance deviations and need tweaks to add more titles, this isn't exactly a new development.

yurinka

These racks don't get built out of 2nd hand retail chips - they use custom hw. Much like when BC PS3 launched - it wasn't recycling chips produced for the PS2, it was chips custom produced 'for' the PS3 (subtle tweaks, but substantial enough that you can't just reuse retail ones).
I know, obviously their servers racks use new components, which basically are -in the case of the PS3 ones, they also have PS4 ones and were building PS5 ones- slightly modified console hardware to put multiple of them on a rack and to work for streaming instead of to be plugged to a tv.

I meant for the hypothetical case where Sony would desperately need more PS3 PS Now servers once they ran out of CELL chips (the other PS3 hardware is easily available) and aren't able to produce more. I think this won't happen, first because I assume they will have some stock there, and because the amount of people interested on PS3 is too small so even if they even temporally 'saturate' a bit them, cues would temporally solve it until somewhere in the future full proper emulation of PS3 becomes possible.

The PS2 BC hardware included in PS3 had way more modifications differences to the normal PS2 hardware than the differences of PS3 vs its PS Now PS3 rack version (same with PS4 vs its PS Now rack version).

More important is that the capacity they will need for a successful service will grow 10s, 100s of times (it's both subscriber increase and covering a much larger number of regions), we're not talking about adding a few %. So yea they will need a hw-strategy that isn't reliant on overpriced chips that they don't want to manufacture anymore.
As I remember the few dozen of countries supported by PS Now or XCloud combined cover over 80 or 90% of the console market revenue. So I think they may add some extra countries, but I think they will wait several years to scale globally their streaming services.

What I think Sony will scale globally relatively soon is a base Game Pass -without day one 1st party games- like PS Now tier (the Spartacus mid tier, like a PS Now but only with download games, without playing in the cloud). That will generate them tons of new subscriptions, profits and won't require to scale their PS Now streaming servers.

I think the small and mid tier of Spartacus will be available globally, while the top tier that includes streaming will be limited to around 30 countries, they may support a few more in the mid term but that's all.

That isn't really saying much - the question is maintaining sufficient compatibility to cover the curated selection that all of these services offer.
All the companies already have products like this out that are 'not proper full emulation' (whatever we define that as) - they exhibit minor compatibility or performance deviations and need tweaks to add more titles, this isn't exactly a new development.
For me 'proper full emulation' means being able to run without noticiable bugs and at original performance of most games (let's say over 90%) of the catalog. Obviously not counting the few ones that can't work like the ones requiring specific accesories like light guns, plastic music instruments or the EyeToy. This remaining less than 10% or so would be ones with major bugs or performance issues because they did use the common hardware in some very rare, uncommon way that with their current emulator and hardware can't be properly emulated.

For me having like over a third of the catalog that can't be played at original performance with no noticiable bugs because main console components can't be emulated at full speed isn't proper full emulation.

When I say original performance I mean to run 60 fps games at 60fps, or 30fps games at 30fps without frameskipping. A few frames dropped or to drop sometimes the fps maybe up to 4 or 5 fps less than in the original hardware could be even acceptable even if obviously it would be better to have the same or even better performance than in the original hardware.

I’m expecting PS1 and PS2 BC, but hopefully allowing us to use our digital purchases and discs we already have. I have many digital PS1 games from the PS3 era so I’d rather that not be locked to streaming.
PS3 digital would be ace and a cherry on the top. All of those PS+ games would be brilliant to play again as they are in my library.

NewYork214

Feel like It's most likely some kind of error with ps now. Because I will not let this get my hopes up for resistance. Really want to play through them again as well as other ps3 games

Agent X

Their PS3 hardware racks for PS Now streaming are there generating low revenue. With this more people would use them so would generate more revenue (they could add PS1 or even PS2 games streaming here if desired too).

Just an aside here, but they already can (and do) offer PS2 games through PS Now, with the ability to either stream or download the games. Streaming of these games is accomplished through the PS4 hardware, rather than the PS3 hardware.

Here is a link that shows the 21 PS2 games that are currently available on PS Now in the US:

• Ape Escape 2
  • Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
  • Dark Cloud
  • Dark Cloud 2
  • Destroy All Humans!
  • Destroy All Humans! 2
  • FantaVision
  • Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition
  • Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland
  • Hot Shots Tennis
  • Kinetica
  • Okage: Shadow King
  • Primal
  • Red Faction
  • Red Faction 2
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • Siren
  • Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
  • Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
  • Star Wars: Racer Revenge
  • Wild ARMs 3

I've said for a long time that Sony should bring many more PS2 games over to PS4/PS5. Don't worry about the laborious process of retrofitting trophies into the games. Just toss the games "as is" onto PS Now, and also make them purchasable from PS Store at affordable prices. It would be easy money for Sony, as well as for third-party developers and publishers.

yurinka

Just an aside here, but they already can (and do) offer PS2 games through PS Now, with the ability to either stream or download the games. Streaming of these games is accomplished through the PS4 hardware, rather than the PS3 hardware.

Here is a link that shows the 21 PS2 games that are currently available on PS Now in the US:

• Ape Escape 2
  • Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
  • Dark Cloud
  • Dark Cloud 2
  • Destroy All Humans!
  • Destroy All Humans! 2
  • FantaVision
  • Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition
  • Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland
  • Hot Shots Tennis
  • Kinetica
  • Okage: Shadow King
  • Primal
  • Red Faction
  • Red Faction 2
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • Siren
  • Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
  • Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
  • Star Wars: Racer Revenge
  • Wild ARMs 3

I've said for a long time that Sony should bring many more PS2 games over to PS4/PS5. Don't worry about the laborious process of retrofitting trophies into the games. Just toss the games "as is" onto PS Now, and also make them purchasable from PS Store at affordable prices. It would be easy money for Sony, as well as for third-party developers and publishers.
Yes, I know that both PS4 and PS5 digital stores have PS2 games to download and play natively via emulation and that some of them are in PS Now.

I meant that since PS3 also can emulate PS2 games, in the case that they would have too busy their PS4 and PS5 PS Now servers and that their PS3 PS Now servers would be almost empty, they could use redirect the PS2 games of PS Now to the PS3 servers to balance the user distribution better between their servers and make room to allow more users there without needing to add more PS4/PS5 servers.

Sony plans to keep improving PS Now in different ways like supporting its client in more devices like smartphones, tablets or smart tvs, to bring it to more countries and improve its catalog adding at least PS5 games. And if what Bloomberg said about Spartacus is true -they often lie and spread fud about Sony- they would add more PS2 and PS3 games to project Spartacus' PS Now tier, plus if I remember correctly they would add PS1 and PSP games.

Those are just the ones they ported to PS4 with trophies.
These are a portion of the ones available to buy on PS4 and PS5, which basically are emulated games with added trophies, not exactly ports. As I remember the PS Now were twenty something, while the PSN ones were fighty something, some game more than the Xbox OG ones supported by the Xbox BC (where they give you this downloadable games for free when you insert the disc, something Sony doesn't do).

Last edited:

Agent X

I’m expecting PS1 and PS2 BC, but hopefully allowing us to use our digital purchases and discs we already have.

It would be excellent if we could use our physical discs and carry over previous digital purchases. I and others here have been advocating this for years. I would be pleasantly surprised if this happens.

I have many digital PS1 games from the PS3 era so I’d rather that not be locked to streaming.
PS3 digital would be ace and a cherry on the top. All of those PS+ games would be brilliant to play again as they are in my library.

I agree!

ManaByte

Gold Member
These are a portion of the ones available to buy on PS4 and PS5, which basically are emulated games with added trophies, not exactly ports. As I remember the PS Now were twenty something, while the PSN ones were fighty something, some game more than the Xbox OG ones supported by the Xbox BC (where they give you this downloadable games for free when you insert the disc, something Sony doesn't do).

There are 55 PS2 games ported to the PS4. That includes Ace Combat 5, which was only a pre-order bonus and you can't buy it separately.

There are 60 original Xbox games that are BC on the One/Series consoles that you can use your original disc to play.

yurinka

There are 55 PS2 games ported to the PS4. That includes Ace Combat 5, which was only a pre-order bonus and you can't buy it separately.

There are 60 original Xbox games that are BC on the One/Series consoles that you can use your original disc to play.
Uh, the number I did remember from some months ago was 56 on PS4 plus and way less on MS. They must have added some OG Xbox games in these recent months.

I think that in addition to copy the base Gamepass-like tier (so a PS Now tier without streaming, with download only games and available worldwide), plus adding tons of PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP games to PS Now and the PS Store, Sony should also copy that BC part of MS where if you insert the game of an old platform and it's available on the (in this case would be PS1 & PS2, the ones playable locally) BC store/catalog, you would download them for free.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Been going back to use my PS3 for games that didn't make the jump and while that gen is ROUGH as fuck I welcome this with open arms, especially if you can use your discs too.

Reactions: TLZ

Agent X

Those are just the ones they ported to PS4 with trophies.

Yes, and that's not even half of them. That's why I suggested they should bring more of those games to PS Now, and also make more PS2 games available for PS4/PS5 even if they don't have trophies.

I meant that since PS3 also can emulate PS2 games, in the case that they would have too busy their PS4 and PS5 PS Now servers and that their PS3 PS Now servers would be almost empty, they could use redirect the PS2 games of PS Now to the PS3 servers to balance the user distribution better between their servers and make room to allow more users there without needing to add more PS4/PS5 servers.

I understand what you are saying. There are also a lot more of the PS2 games available for PS3, that never made their way over to PS4. There are over 100 "PS2 classics for PS3", compared to around 50 "PS2 classics for PS4". Here are the lists from Wikipedia:

With that in mind, they should add some of the "PS2 classics for PS3" to PS Now, if the corresponding games aren't available in "PS2 classics for PS4". Ideally, the long term goal should be to bring those games to PS4 (and by extension, PS5), as the emulation on PS4 offers numerous benefits for both local and streamed play.

Sony plans to keep improving PS Now in different ways like supporting its client in more devices like smartphones, tablets or smart tvs, to bring it to more countries and improve its catalog adding at least PS5 games. And if what Bloomberg said about Spartacus is true -they often lie and spread fud about Sony- they would add more PS2 and PS3 games to project Spartacus' PS Now tier, plus if I remember correctly they would add PS1 and PSP games.

Yes, and I'd like to see all of these improvements, too.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
There are 55 PS2 games ported to the PS4.
Not ports - they are original PS2 ISOs with external-add on for trophies, and AC was done by adding a texture-pack.
Yes there's added work for trophies - but then that'd be like calling XBox BC games that received resolution boost 'ports' because that involved extra work too.

If we're counting - there was also the retail/PSN release of a handful PSP games done the same way as AC (PSP binaries with a texture-pack).

PS4 and PS5 can't read CDs.
There's over 400 PS1 and 300 PS2 games on PSN - that'd be a good place to start.

The PS2 BC hardware included in PS3 had way more modifications differences to the normal PS2 hardware than the differences of PS3 vs its PS Now PS3 rack version (same with PS4 vs its PS Now rack version).
TBH - I don't really know, how custom the rack hw is, but they run off of different storage etc so yea, there's hw-abstractions/virtualization going on that retail hw doesn't deal with.

As I remember the few dozen of countries supported by PS Now or XCloud combined cover over 80 or 90% of the console market revenue. So I think they may add some extra countries, but I think they will wait several years to scale globally their streaming services.
It's a good question how much they even want to scale right away. Streaming is largely still a loss-leading service at this point, for all players involved.

For me 'proper full emulation' means being able to run without noticiable bugs and at original performance of most games (let's say over 90%) of the catalog.
That's fair/valid definition.
But it does mean many fan-projects are 'not proper/full emulation' because they usually take years/decades to reach high compatibility, or in some cases (PCSX2) they never really get there. But it goes back to the point of curated libraries, where individual titles can be hand-configured to work more optimally, and total number is never that high anyway.
Eg. MS currently offers about 25% of the 360 library in their BC program, and that's considered a substantial enough offering that keeps people happy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom