• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSNProfiles user discovers Dead or Alive 5 for the PS3 in the PS Store on his PS5 with a price tag. #backwardscompatibility

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
When the PS5 launched, a few PS3 games (like KIllzone 2) were listed in the store with a price (£7.99)

The other day I was randomly searching the store on my PS5, I saw that the Telltale Back to the Future PS3 episodes were each listed as PS3 games with prices, but when you clicked through were not purchasable. I know they used to be on PS Now, but I don't think they are now (or maybe are in some regions) so maybe it is related to that.

Last edited:

SpokkX

I really hope they throw in hundreds of ps1/ps2 games in PSNow - to play locally (emulation should be easy - there have beeen perfect emulators for years on pc)

I doubt they will solve ps3 - but the homebrew community has created a ps3 emu that works for 60% games so it is POSSIBLE if Sony puts in the effort

DaGwaphics

I would be very surprised if Sony got PS3 emulation working, but it is the right thing IMO. Bonus points if you can use your PS3 discs.

They should have the CPU available now to make it happen. You can run PS3 games at original framerates on weaker hardware than PS5, and that is with a reverse engineered approach. With direct knowledge of the processors and code involved you should be able to lower emulation overhead (how the x1 was able to emulate 360).

Shifty1897

The cell processor in the PS3 is a complicated mess. It was hard enough to program for natively, but now you're talking about writing an emulator that will run PS3 games on a PS5.

Sony bought Gaikai and set up PSNow with the knowledge that even if they could write an emulator that would one day run on a powerful enough computer for a play experience comparable to a PS3, it's not worth the extraordinary cost of doing so. Instead, they stuffed huge server rooms with full of PS3's (each of which use 5 times the amount of power of a refrigerator) and decided to use that for game streaming. At this point, most good PS3 games are ported, and the 10-15 stuck on the system will probably eventually get ported as part of a collection.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I really hope they throw in hundreds of ps1/ps2 games in PSNow - to play locally (emulation should be easy - there have beeen perfect emulators for years on pc)
Not for PS2 there haven't been/aren't.
Of course - Sony's had PS2 emulation for a decade now so it's hardly a feasibility problem. Hell they even have a PSP emulator on PS4 - but they keep holding things back :/

Esppiral

The cell processor in the PS3 is a complicated mess. It was hard enough to program for natively, but now you're talking about writing an emulator that will run PS3 games on a PS5.

Sony bought Gaikai and set up PSNow with the knowledge that even if they could write an emulator that would one day run on a powerful enough computer for a play experience comparable to a PS3, it's not worth the extraordinary cost of doing so. Instead, they stuffed huge server rooms with full of PS3's (each of which use 5 times the amount of power of a refrigerator) and decided to use that for game streaming. At this point, most good PS3 games are ported, and the 10-15 stuck on the system will probably eventually get ported as part of a collection.
Do you realize that there is an unofficial PS3 emulator than runs on PC? Even more, many games can be played at full speed even on a potato like the i5 4690.

Shifty1897

Do you realize that there is an unofficial PS3 emulator than runs on PC? Even more, many games can be played at full speed even on a potato like the i5 4690.
Does Sony own the code to that emulator? Is the emulator optimized to run on PS5? Have security engineers vetted the code to make sure there are no security issues / backdoors / opportunities for remote code injection with the product?

I'm never said it's not possible, just that it's not going to happen. At least not on the PS5.

TLZ

Banned
Does Sony own the code to that emulator? Is the emulator optimized to run on PS5? Have security engineers vetted the code to make sure there are no security issues / backdoors / opportunities for remote code injection with the product?

I'm never said it's not possible, just that it's not going to happen. At least not on the PS5.
Point is, if it can be done on PC without official SDK, it surely can be done on PS5 with official documentation. But it's all down to Sony wanting to even bother.

Knowing Sony and it's software department I really don't have my hopes up for anything special.

Then again then they can blow my mind..

playXray

They should have the CPU available now to make it happen. You can run PS3 games at original framerates on weaker hardware than PS5, and that is with a reverse engineered approach. With direct knowledge of the processors and code involved you should be able to lower emulation overhead (how the x1 was able to emulate 360).
X1 does have dedicated hardware to help with this. Not saying Sony haven’t solved the problem some other way though.

Banned
If it’s not streaming I would gladly buy some ps3 stuff.

especially if it runs better, similarly to how 360 games run faster in back compat.

MGS4 has no fps lock for example... so an easy way to play MGS4 at 60fps would be amazing. res scaling should also be no issue, but I wouldn't expect that tbh.
but then again, I don't expect this to be local emulation... streaming is the most likely outcome here if it amounts to anything at all

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

It’s open source. Sony could build off their work and get it running on PS5 if they wanted to. Will they tho? Who knows.

TLZ

Banned
it sucks that it doesn't have an Direct X11 renderer... so there is currently no hope for an Xbox Series port of it :(
Aren't all Xbox emulators gone now anyway? All the ones I had stopped working after MS pulled Dev mode from us.

Banned
Aren't all Xbox emulators gone now anyway? All the ones I had stopped working after MS pulled Dev mode from us.

no it's easier than ever to get them. apparently it is now super easy to upload them without whitelists or anything. and for me none stopped working after they got removed (which happens basically all the time... I had a 6 month old version of PPSSPP on my Series X and that was removed ages ago but still worked)

look in the thread I made for a link:

just go on the site linked there on your Xbox and download what you want. you can remotely install them using your PC (follow my guide in the OP) or your phone as well... but it's easiest on your actual console to just click download

also also: Dev mode is not gone at all, they mistakenly deactivated unused accounts, which was apparently an issue on the Windows site of things and the Xbox branch told them to reinstate all of them

edit: ok apparently the current uploads have been taken down. but the guy running that site usually updates with new links pretty fast.
so you are a bit late, these current uploads were online for 2 weeks or so. I would assume 2-3 days until new working links are there

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

ManaByte

Gold Member
When the PS5 launched, a few PS3 games (like KIllzone 2) were listed in the store with a price (£7.99)

The other day I was randomly searching the store on my PS5, I saw that the Telltale Back to the Future PS3 episodes were each listed as PS3 games with prices, but when you clicked through were not purchasable. I know they used to be on PS Now, but I don't think they are now (or maybe are in some regions) so maybe it is related to that.

Those are the old PS Now rental prices.

Well, PS3 would be golden(and it isn't impossible), but it seems with Spencer chiming in on Spartacus(whatever it ends up being), it is a very real thing and seemingly must be coming very soon.

The PlayStation fanbase has been enormously vocal about backwards compatibility(or some service that enables it to an extent) since PS4 and Sony has been more apt to listen these days to what fans want...

Except for VRR. Really? Way late on that one, guys.

giphy.gif

TLZ

Banned
no it's easier than ever to get them. apparently it is now super easy to upload them without whitelists or anything. and for me none stopped working after they got removed (which happens basically all the time... I had a 6 month old version of PPSSPP on my Series X and that was removed ages ago but still worked)

look in the thread I made for a link:

just go on the site linked there on your Xbox and download what you want. you can remotely install them using your PC (follow my guide in the OP) or your phone as well... but it's easiest on your actual console to just click download

also also: Dev mode is not gone at all, they mistakenly deactivated unused accounts, which was apparently an issue on the Windows site of things and the Xbox branch told them to reinstate all of them

edit: ok apparently the current uploads have been taken down. but the guy running that site usually updates with new links pretty fast.
so you are a bit late, these current uploads were online for 2 weeks or so. I would assume 2-3 days until new working links are there
I downloaded everything fine on my Xbox. Played AM2R for a bit. Very cool. But it freezes from time to time.

Also setting up retroarch again. Everything I had setup on the other app is gone obviously.

And thanks a bunch obviously!

Last edited:

Banned
I downloaded everything fine on my Xbox. Played AM2R for a bit. Very cool. But it freezes from time to time.

Also setting up retroarch again. Everything I had setup on the other app is gone obviously.

And thanks a bunch obviously!

really? ok so the downloads still work on Xbox? I just tested out of curiosity on my PC and it gave me an error message.
maybe they removed it from the PC store... for some weird reason? well... good to hear tho. thx for telling me lol

TLZ

Banned
really? ok so the downloads still work on Xbox? I just tested out of curiosity on my PC and it gave me an error message.
maybe they removed it from the PC store... for some weird reason? well... good to hear tho. thx for telling me lol
Yeah.

Well no wonder my 2 other retroarch apps weren't working. Everything in them was deleted 😳

No exe to load. All my games and save states gone. I'm browsing through retroarch to direct the games folder to my older one but all is gone.

😢

Last edited:

Banned
Yeah.

Well no wonder my 2 other retroarch apps weren't working. Everything in them was deleted 😳

No exe to load. All my games and save states gone. I'm browsing through retroarch to direct the games folder to my older one but all is gone.

😢

well that is weird... maybe a corrupt update. apparently that can happen with these behind the scenes releases. I also got a corrupt update once :/

Last edited:
  • Empathy

playXray

I've never heard that before, like what? The system didn't even launch with back compat support.
Yes, they could have launched with it but it wasn't ready. Imagine if they hadn't wasted so much time on Kinect, and instead had BC ready at launch!

Here's a couple of articles that explain the hardware support for 360 titles:

TLDR:

"Helping the task immensely is the fact that certain aspects of the Xbox 360 hardware design are indeed built into the Xbox One processor - specifically, support for texture formats and audio."

"The Xbox One doesn’t have an Xbox 360 or Xbox SoC inside of it for dedicated hardware support, but it does support certain critical capabilities required for backwards compatibility in hardware."

DaGwaphics

Yes, they could have launched with it but it wasn't ready. Imagine if they hadn't wasted so much time on Kinect, and instead had BC ready at launch!

Here's a couple of articles that explain the hardware support for 360 titles:

TLDR:

"Helping the task immensely is the fact that certain aspects of the Xbox 360 hardware design are indeed built into the Xbox One processor - specifically, support for texture formats and audio."

"The Xbox One doesn’t have an Xbox 360 or Xbox SoC inside of it for dedicated hardware support, but it does support certain critical capabilities required for backwards compatibility in hardware."

I guess I never paid any attention to that. Good work by them to be thinking that far ahead.

Top Bottom