• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP battery 3 hours!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sorry if late, but only just found this place again, and noticed this on teletext.

Apparantly Kaz Hirai has gone on record about the battery life on PSP. He is quoted as saying if a game uses the CPU a lot, the battery life would be 'about 3 hours'. No mention about UMD access on top of that, but 3 hours isn't a lot.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The PSP is not a portable. This is something Hirai (or maybe it was Kutaragi) said himself. It is made for home use. Think of it as a playstation 2 that you can play movies on and...wait. Think of it as a PS2 that you can take into the bathroom.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Lost Weekend said:
The PSP is not a portable. This is something Hirai (or maybe it was Kutaragi) said himself. It is made for home use. Think of it as a playstation 2 that you can play movies on and...wait. Think of it as a PS2 that you can take into the bathroom.

this seems hardly worth 300 dollars + money to buy the same games over doesnt it?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah, it's been discussed quite a bit already. But the general consensus around here seems to be that we need to talk about it every three days until the PSP arrives and then probably every day after that, so you're right on schedule :p

Kaz was providing overall high and low estimates for battery life on PSP. I think the 2.5-3 hr estimate he provided is really supposed to be as low as it goes. Just because he didn't explicitly state that that included every part in the PSP burning juice doesn't mean you should expect it could go lower for battery life. He gave two estimates, 8-10 hrs for music playback with no screen use and 2.5-3 hrs for a game going full tilt on the system resources.

Mercurial

AniHawk said:
It's enough for a car ride. Really, how long are you going to be playing it away from a plug outlet?
Do you own a Gameboy?

You'd be surprised how much gaming you can get done while away from any outlet.

sprsk

and really its not that youre gonna be playing it away from an outlet its that youre gonna have to charge it alllll the freaking time and that is a pain.

A comparison I'd like to make is... remember how you used to hate having to be by a lamp to play the Gameboy? Or having to spend money onf a light that never really worked well?

Yeah, well now you have to be near an outlet. Or buy a battery pack, which probably wouldn't be $5 like those lights you could buy back in the day.

Anyways... *patiently waits for kaching and jarrod to post and duke it out*

ChrisReid

AniHawk said:
It's enough for a car ride. Really, how long are you going to be playing it away from a plug outlet?

It's not enough to last a car ride to E3 from Seattle.. but an SP can tackle it no problem. Even when I'm at home, I can lie in bed and play an SP for an hour or two right there and then set it on the nightstand and fall asleep. The next night, I don't want to get into a game, then go have to charge it again in the middle. An SP will last me a week or two no problem. If I want to be held down with an AC adapter or other wires, I'll just play a console. There's an inherent quality in not having to be tied to a wall. That's why I've got four wavebirds on my Cube. How ridiculous would it be to always be able to play my home Nintendo console wirelessly.. but always have to worry about plugging in my portable Sony system?

Sure, 3 hours is long enough to do a lot of things.. but having just a 3 hour gameplay life adds in a stupid charging factor. You're ALWAYS going to be looking for time to charge it or a place to plug it in, even if you've just played one game for a little while, because you're going to have to worry about it running out of life when you're in the middle of the next car ride or whatever. That's not a portable gaming system.

sprsk

i dunno i really dont see the point in buying a portable ps2 that i "should only play in my house" when i already own a ps2? I dont get it.

daMandus

I wonder how many times you can recharge before the battery life is half of the original... as in the GBA it was 500 times if I remember it right.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod and I pretty much see eye to eye on the battery life issue, Darth. GBA battery life is above average for portable devices and I can understand why that is so important for many people. But PSP battery life is by no means below average when considering the full variety of portable devices out there. What's unfortunate is those who love battery life over performance who can't see the perspective of other's and yet continue to post in topics about a product they clearly have no intention of buying.

Lost Weekend said:

Ah, I see now. That must be why they named it PlayStation Portable. And I'm glad I can play movies on the PSP in my home. I've always wanted that feature on my PS2.

sprsk

Cerebral Palsy said:
Ah, I see now. That must be why they named it PlayStation Portable. And I'm glad I can play movies on the PSP in my home. I've always wanted that feature on my PS2.

thats what im sayin! what is the point of this machine again?

maybe they should just rename it "the toilet playstation" the tag line could be "For when you have to take a shit and play games at the same time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom