• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverBed

Banned
It just hit me: SOCOM on NGP will be crazy! It is already good on PSP, so imagine how much better it'll be on NGP, ESPECIALLY with dual analogues!

KAL2006 said:
I hope the launch sega games are Virtua Tennis and Yakuza

but I bet it will be something shitty like Monkey ball

Monkey Ball isn't neccesarily a shitty game.

It's actually one of the franchises with the most potential on the system. Because it's one of the few non-Nintendo franchises that has the same light hearted spirit, fun gameplay and casual appeal that games like Mario Kart and Mario Galaxy have.

Sega has recently run the franchise into the ground. But if they put some effort into the PSP2 iteration, it could be the stand out launch title for the system.

The PSP2 will have plenty of serious/hardcore games. But Monkey Ball is one of the few games that can draw in the same audience that love Mario Kart.

Stephen Colbert said:
Monkey Ball isn't neccesarily a shitty game.

It's actually one of the franchises with the most potential on the system. Because it's one of the few non-Nintendo franchises that has the same light hearted spirit, fun gameplay and casual appeal that games like Mario Kart and Mario Galaxy have.

Sega has recently run the franchise into the ground. But if they put some effort into the PSP2 iteration, it could be the stand out launch title for the system.

The PSP2 will have plenty of serious/hardcore games. But Monkey Ball is one of the few games that can draw in the same audience that love Mario Kart.

It won't happen though.
They'll make it into a crappy minigame fest just like all the other recent Monkey Ball games.

kuroshiki

M3Freak said:
Ya - I'm not even contemplating discs anymore. I know eventually my PSP will die, so PSN purchases are the only long term option.

I do wish I could get my current UMD games onto the NGP. I should be allowed to - I already bought the damn things!

I know, right? I have 15 UMDs that won't play on NGP.

But I also understand that Sony doesn't have to put any PSP BC support at all, so I'm grateful that at least we get PSN PSP BC. (Hey, it's better than none at all)

Now I wish old PSP games have some crazy sales so I can double dip without killing my wallet.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
FoxSpirit said:
Doesn't anyone else find it crazy how the developers just seem to hop aboard? Actually, more like streaming aboard. If you compare it with PSP1 where there was a lot of vocal 'yes' but do 'no's, the PSP2 seems to get a really big pile of software right at launch.

Why are devs so exited about a handheld this strong?

edit: if you can get most of PSP1 stuff for it on psn, I'm going to Patapon the hell out of my wallett :p

The biggest franchises on the DS platforms are overwhelmingly Nintendo. There is less competition software wise on the NGP, so you have a better chance of establishing your own franchise on Sony's system.

And also, the NGP will almost definitely be successful in Japan, which is the homeground of many handheld devs.

jiggle

hard to judge what the support is when there are no announcements
it could all be lip service at this point

although i'd think they would be less reluctant to support it this time around
esp in jpn

neptunes

With everybody thinking the NGP will be suiteable for certain genres of games, Sony should have just added a second nub to the 1st one.

Takao

Banned
neptunes said:
With everybody thinking the NGP will be good for certain genre of games, Sony should have just added a second nub to the 1st one.

Would have made the library incompatible with older units, and Sony never does that. It would be like them removing the Dual Shock 3 from the PS3, and making a new controller standard that's only available in new units (this is world where controllers are not sold separately!). Older players would be SOLed.

Emitan

neptunes said:
With everybody thinking the NGP will be good for certain genre of games, Sony should have just added a second nub to the 1st one.
And be stuck with all the PSP's shortcomings? Not a chance.

Kuran

Banned
neptunes said:

Why would that be better over all of the other improvements the NGP brings?

I don't get it.

Takao

Banned
neptunes said:
I meant they should have added a second one the first time around.

I guess they didn't think it would be that big of an issue in 2003 given that there were platforms that had only 1 analog stick in the past, and had functioning games. Though, the fact Nintendo watched Sony get criticized for including only 1 nub, and then doing the exact same shows a weird thought process.

gbovo

Takao said:
I guess they didn't think it would be that big of an issue in 2003 given that there were platforms that had only 1 analog stick in the past, and had functioning games. Though, the fact Nintendo watched Sony get criticized for including only 1 nub, and then doing the exact same shows a weird thought process.
I've been thinking the same thing myself. And wondering why no one in the media has queried them about this.

gbovo

Diablohead said:
The touch screen is more or less another analog stick, think metroid.
I don't necessarily think that's an adequate substitute. A touchscreen has its advantages, but the usability of it as a makeshift analog stick has drawbacks, that range from minor to major, depending on the game and what you're doing, as opposed to a traditional analog stick.

The NGP has the traditional setup of analog sticks (dual analogs), and the advantage of a capacitive touchscreen as well.

I've always viewed Nintendo as the most forward thinking with regards to gaming interfaces, but it seems like Sony has outdone them within the context of the new handheld console interfaces.

gbovo said:
I don't necessarily think that's an adequate substitute. A touchscreen has its advantages, but the usability of it as a makeshift analog stick has drawbacks, that range from minor to major, depending on the game and what you're doing, as opposed to a traditional analog stick.

Case in point; the iPod touch's emulates analog stick.

plainr_

RiverBed said:
It just hit me: SOCOM on NGP will be crazy! It is already good on PSP, so imagine how much better it'll be on NGP, ESPECIALLY with dual analogues!

Socom 2 for NGP.

Believe. :)

Anyway, I would love to see a Socom game on this.

http://directtovideo.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/come-see-me-talk-at-gdc-2011/

"I’ll be introducing the new version of PhyreEngine – 3.0 – to the world. It has tools and everything. I’ll also be talking about the new rendering work we’ve done on PS3 lately. That includes:
-a particle system on SPU (which took a lot of ideas from the one ive presented on this blog which ran on GPU. but now on SPU.)
-a new take on MLAA on PS3
-deferred lighting on SPU and our rendering engine in general.

And then I get to talk about NGP. If you’re thinking of (or are currently) developing for the device, you might be interested in knowing what you can do on it graphics-wise and how it went adding NGP support for our engine. This I shall attempt to impart."

ZoddGutts

Good to hear that they have PhyreEngine ready for the NGB so soon. It didn't come out on the PSP till last year. Now developers with small budgets can use it. Also good to hear that a new version is coming out.

neptunes said:
With everybody thinking the NGP will be suiteable for certain genres of games, Sony should have just added a second nub to the 1st one.

Analog sticks > analog nubs/sliders

And NGP is a much more advanced device than PSP in other ways.

KAL2006

Banned
neptunes said:

what a silly thing to say

why release a Wii when they could have added a new motion controller for GameCube
why release 3DS when they could have added a 3D screen as a revision

Man

Has any other platform holder offered an internally made game engine at launch before? As far as I know, PhyreEngine might even be the first platform holder made game engine ever?

KAL2006 said:
what a silly thing to say

why release a Wii when they could have added a new motion controller for GameCube
why release 3DS when they could have added a 3D screen as a revision

But the Dual Analog and Dual Shock controllers for PSX?

Man said:
Has any other platform holder offered an internally made game engine at launch before? As far as I know, PhyreEngine might even be the first platform holder made game engine ever?
Sony has done a lot of things wrong this gen, but development tools and support hasn't been one of them.

Baki

Man said:

That's an interesting question. At least this bodes well for development side of things.

lupinko

It was mentioned in another thread unrelated to the NGP, but has it been announced anywhere that the NGP is region locked? I don't remember that in the conference, I sure hope not.

Especially since Sony as a whole has been moving in a more positive direction in recent years (PSP region free, PS3 BD region free, PSN region free, BD only has 3 regions as opposed to DVD's 9 regions) with regards to regional distribution licensing.

tzare

i really doubt sony will region lock NGP. for downloadable games, PSN regions now do not accept foreign cards, and locking retail games would make hardcore gamers angry. It makes no sense at all.

lupinko

tzare said:
i really doubt sony will region lock NGP. for downloadable games, PSN regions now do not accept foreign cards, and locking retail games would make hardcore gamers angry. It makes no sense at all.

Well for the most part they never did (or supposed to) accept foreign CCs anyway since using a fake billing address would constitute as CC fraud.

IIRC, only a few of the stores (US, HK) had this flaw, but other stores like CA, JP, etc. would never allow for CCs with bogus billing addresses.

Again it was just something that was posted in that other thread about PS3 hacking lawsuits or whatever.

I didn't constitute it as fact I just wanted to know if there was anything mentioned about it, and it looks like there wasn't and hopefully won't ever be made.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's been no official word.

Someone on the 8-4 Play podcast immediately after the announcement said that he had heard publishers would have the option to region-lock. Which would, AFAIK, be a step backward from their policies on PS3 and PSP where I believe no such option exists. I hope it's not true.

lupinko said:
It was mentioned in another thread unrelated to the NGP, but has it been announced anywhere that the NGP is region locked? I don't remember that in the conference, I sure hope not.

Especially since Sony as a whole has been moving in a more positive direction in recent years (PSP region free, PS3 BD region free, PSN region free, BD only has 3 regions as opposed to DVD's 9 regions) with regards to regional distribution licensing.
Listening to the 8-4 play NGP special podcast Matt Leone mentioned that the system itself is not region locked but the decision was up to each developer on locking their software.
Edit:beaten

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
There's been no official word.

Someone on the 8-4 Play podcast immediately after the announcement said that he had heard publishers would have the option to region-lock. Which would, AFAIK, be a step backward from their policies on PS3 and PSP where I believe no such option exists. I hope it's not true.
I have heard that rumor before.

StuBurns

Banned
pharmboy044 said:
Listening to the 8-4 play NGP special podcast Matt Leone mentioned that the system itself is not region locked but the decision was up to each developer on locking their software.
He said that's what he heard. But he also said he heard they don't want to call it PSP2 because of the 3 in 3DS, so I call bullshit on his sources.

Takao

Banned
pharmboy044 said:

But didn't he say something like "it's how it is on PSP or PS3"? I think I remember him saying "it's like how it is on PS3, and PSP, publishers can region lock if they want to" or something akin to that, which is incorrect as no game on PSP or PS3 has been region-locked, and I'm sure some developers would (SCEE's Asian releases with English for example).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Can I ask why Nintendo went region locked with 3DS? is it for selling more devices? ( for people who like to import games I mean ) or for some other reasons?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Takao said:
But didn't he say something like "it's how it is on PSP or PS3"? I think I remember him saying "it's like how it is on PS3, and PSP, publishers can region lock if they want to" or something akin to that, which is incorrect as no game on PSP or PS3 has been region-locked, and I'm sure some developers would (SCEE's Asian releases with English for example).

Yeah, he said 'but that's how it is on PSP and PS3'. So depending on what he heard, his comment might have more or less significance - i.e. if he heard 'it's the same as PSP and PS3' and then indirectly assumed that meant publishers had the option, it'd be different than if he heard explicitly and directly that they'd have the option. (Assuming, anyway, his info is reliable).

I'd have thought it unlikely before, but with them stepping back to proprietary memory cards, for example, who knows...

lupinko

Actually if it is like the PS3/PSP situation, then I know what they mean based on what I know from
insider contacts
, thanks you guys answered my question and for the most part should be fine. =)

Zoe

StuBurns said:
He said that's what he heard. But he also said he heard they don't want to call it PSP2 because of the 3 in 3DS, so I call bullshit on his sources.

That's the Xbox 360 excuse.

fernoca

StuBurns said:
Well, that sounds like the Xbox situation were Microsoft didn't wanted to call it Xbox 2 because of the PlayStation 3. So is not that crazy to think Sony would think similar. :p

StuBurns

Banned
fernoca said:
Well, that sounds like the Xbox situation were Microsoft didn't wanted to call it Xbox 2 because of the PlayStation 3. So is not that crazy to think Sony would think similar. :p
Indeed, that's my point though, it sounds like his sources are a kid using message board logic and passing it on as fact. "Well MS did it, so Sony must be doing it too, I'll say that".

Maybe I'm just overly suspicious of uncredited sources.

AceBandage said:
It won't happen though.
They'll make it into a crappy minigame fest just like all the other recent Monkey Ball games.
the 3DS monkey ball isn't a minigame fest (just has two minigames, both way more developed than your average monkey ball minigame).

whether or not it's still crappy is still a mystery.

FoxSpirit

Totobeni said:
Can I ask why Nintendo went region locked with 3DS? is it for selling more devices? ( for people who like to import games I mean ) or for some other reasons?

I don't know, seriously.

And thanks for reminding me of the region lock, I had almost forgotten *glares at Nintendo*

Takao

Banned
Totobeni said:

They started it with the DSi, and I think it may have been a form of piracy protection. Though, it's incredibly short sighted if they actually think that's a good solution.

pharmboy044 said:
It was John who said the 360 has the same policy. Not sure if that's actually true for the 360.

I believe this is true, the 360 allows for both region-locked, and region-free titles.

Teetris said:
Where's the bit about BC? I can't find it?

When the Capcom guy went on stage during the show for Monster Hunter Portable 3rd it was said he was playing the PSP version off of PSN. In later interviews both Yoshida and Hirai confirmed this, as well as confirmed that PSP games will have slight visual improvements if played on the NGP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom