• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmmm. Media Molecule seems to be working on a NGP game. Perhaps they're handling the LBP game in-house this time?

http://www.mediamolecule.com/jobs/graphics_programmer/

We’re looking for someone exceptional, in the human form of an experienced graphics programmer, to paint magic and wonder into our new world. Shaping all parts of the art pipeline, from making artists happy with solid tools, right through to exciting millions of gamers with the final beautiful results on the screen.

Could this be you?! If you’re a singular army of rendering technology, excited by the chance to be an integral and influential part of a small team, then it very well could be.
So in summary, what we’re looking for is:
Self-motivated graphics programmer who can ‘do it all’ from tools to runtime.
Works well with artists.
You’ll be the graphics lead! So experience or extreme talent is a must.
It’s on a portable platform…

Media Molecule is passionate about the process of creation, and above all else we’re looking for someone who shares this enthusiasm and can excite us with something they’ve created.

And Alex Evans' tweet:

http://twitter.com/#!/mmalex/status/42223133897400320

can you make portable GPUs shine & artists tools they love? got a showreel? join us at mediamolecule towers! http://bit.ly/hN6gLO

With Cambridge working on Killzone I wondered how they'd manage another LBP game too...I guess this is the answer, they're not.

Widge

Pai Pai Master said:
But the Dual Analog and Dual Shock controllers for PSX?

Buying new controllers for a platform is much less of a bind than having to buy the later hardware revision.

Once on the path of 1 analogue, there was no opportunity to change. You end up splitting the hardware base and devs wouldn't make a game to take advantage of 2 analogues properly when most of the owners run with 1.

gofreak said:
Hmmm. Media Molecule seems to be working on a NGP game. Perhaps they're handling the LBP game in-house this time?

And Alex Evans' tweet:

With Cambridge working on Killzone I wondered how they'd manage another LBP game too...I guess this is the answer, they're not.

Well that's awesome news in terms of Sony not using B-teams to develop for their portables like last time.

I hope Santa Monica make an NGP game and GG new team will also make one.

V_Ben

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
Well that's awesome news in terms of Sony not using B-teams to develop for their portables like last time.

I hope Santa Monica make an NGP game and GG new team will also make one.

Cambridge aren't a B team :( They're great...

V_Ben said:
Cambridge aren't a B team :( They're great...

I didn't mean it like that. I meant it more about farming portable games out to third parties. The only thing that would be better for NGP is if the first party teams were allowed to develop their own IPs once the launch titles and established franchises have a presence. I would love to see what Sony Cambridge could do on their own IP!

V_Ben

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
I didn't mean it like that. I meant it more about farming portable games out to third parties. The only thing that would be better for NGP is if the first party teams were allowed to develop their own IPs once the launch titles and established franchises have a presence. I would love to see what Sony Cambridge could do on their own IP!

Ah, you mean like High Impact? I can agree with that. I'd love to see SCE 1st Party develop NGP stuff, but only if it doesn't take away from their PS3 development. Sony needs to balance better in that regard.

Man, I'd love to see Cambridge do something original again too... :D

onken

gofreak said:

And Alex Evans' tweet:

Man if they can make the levels/editor cross-compatible with the PS3 version of LBP2 then that would be fucking killer. Downloading a level online, then playing ad-hoc with 3 other people locally would just be too awesome for words. Hell, even cross-play with PS3 players could technically be possible.

Meh wishful thinking, but it's nice to want things.

kuroshiki

Zoibie said:
I hope Sony put more video codecs in the NGP. .avi would be nice.

Sony itself won't do it. They have to pay for codec license and everything. However NGP will have its own app market. Problem solved by 3rd party.

Doffen

I hope Activision releases CoD4 on the NGP, but we all know they'll go for the last released CoD...
Oh and Bioshock and the upcoming GTA would be awesome too! And let's not forget Red Dead Redemption and Rainbow 6! Yeah I would buy those

onken

pharmboy044 said:
Regarding multimedia and the NGP, do we know how one can get their media on to the NGP?

As it stands I think it has 2 memory stick slots (some wacky new proprietary format it would appear), one for games and one for media.

onken said:
As it stands I think it has 2 memory stick slots (some wacky new proprietary format it would appear), one for games and one for media.
I knew it was proprietary memory cards but my concern is how do I get my current movies/mp3s from my pc to the NGP?
Will this even be possible with this device?

MightyKAC

pharmboy044 said:
I knew it was proprietary memory cards but my concern is how do I get my current movies/mp3s from my pc to the NGP?

I'd be really surprised if it didn't have some kind of USB interface like all the other PSP models have.

Carlisle

KAL2006 said:
Why not just wait for NGP to be released, then you can play Peace Walker with dual analog controls. I am sure the launch line up won't have enough games (just like most console launch line ups), so you can play PSP games to keep you busy
If only...

onken said:

Well all we know is that there are two memory card slots and that one of them is for games which come on the new proprietary format. There is no reason to believe that the second one won't just use MS-Duo or SDHC.

All PSP games are emulated via software so controls could be mappable. It would make sense, and they showed MHP3 with dual analogue at the reveal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I presume also that there will be the usual local wireless network support for media sharing (e.g. DLNA).

I also presume a cable connection to a PC or other devices will be possible, although funnily enough I don't recall seeing the usual USB-mini connector on it (?) The top connectors/slots are hidden in the PR shots though, under a flap.

zomgbbqftw said:
Well all we know is that there are two memory card slots and that one of them is for games which come on the new proprietary format. There is no reason to believe that the second one won't just use MS-Duo or SDHC.

Yes, there is. There are two slots - one for game cards, one for memory cards. Both are proprietary. Yoshida made it abundantly clear in his Gamespot interview.

Carlisle

zomgbbqftw said:
All PSP games are emulated via software so controls could be mappable. It would make sense, and they showed MHP3 with dual analogue at the reveal.
But then the 2nd analog should work now when you play with a DualShock 3. And it certainly does not :(

Spiegel

gofreak said:
I also presume a cable connection to a PC or other devices will be possible, although funnily enough I don't recall seeing the usual USB-mini connector on it (?) The top connectors/slots are hidden in the PR shots though, under a flap.

It will probably use this

ilffN.jpg

Carlisle said:
But then the 2nd analog should work now when you play with a DualShock 3. And it certainly does not :(

They showed MHP3 with the camera buttons (dpad) mapped to the second analog stick.

tzare

gofreak said:
I presume also that there will be the usual local wireless network support for media sharing (e.g. DLNA).

Yes, there is. There are two slots - one for game cards, one for memory cards. Both are proprietary. Yoshida made it abundantly clear in his Gamespot interview.

two slots makes sense, regarding piracy (i guess they can put some kind of hw protection for game cards, as well as higher transfer rate), the memory card one probably won't be able to boot games unlinke actual psp MS slot

tzare said:
VLC is still not available for Android. I hope that sony allows apps though, there are a few that work pretty well, Vitalplayer, rockplayer, arcmedia....

It is/was available on iOS though, so surely the Android version isn't too far away.

zomgbbqftw said:

So BBS might actually be playable on NGP?

Speaking of apps, I know this thing has nothing to do with android, but is there any indication NGP will have its own app store? It has the same architecture as smartphones so I imagine it can't be hard for devs to get their apps running on it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
H_Prestige said:
Speaking of apps, I know this thing has nothing to do with android, but is there any indication NGP will have its own app store? It has the same architecture as smartphones so I imagine it can't be hard for devs to get their apps running on it.

PlayStation Suite may be the most likely avenue for non-game-y apps. Tretton seemed to suggest it could host general apps also. And it likely does have 'something' to do with Android - I've little doubt some kind of Android runtime environment will be used behind-the-scenes to execute that software on NGP.

(Speaking of which, I'd bet that'll probably be a first vector for hacking on NGP - people trying to get the Suite RTE to recognise and run their own Android apps).

pharmboy044 said:

It will probably work the same way it does with the PSP using Media Go.

tzare

zomgbbqftw said:
It is/was available on iOS though, so surely the Android version isn't too far away.
it is on its way AFAiK. It will depend on how sony behaves regarding apps. I hope it is more like Android. so we can use NGP for a variety of options, many of them for free (or ad-supported)

But there is a possibility that they allow divx as ps3 plays it (unlike psp though)

Zoibie

IonicSnake said:
It will probably work the same way it does with the PSP using Media Go.

You don't need to go through Media Go to put stuff on PSP but it is handy. I'd guess you could just copy-paste most things onto NGP too.

Takao

Banned
Zoibie said:
You don't need to go through Media Go to put stuff on PSP but it is handy. I'd guess you could just copy-paste most things onto NGP too.

I don't think they'll allow Windows Explorer simply for fear of loading up homebrew. I suspect they'll pull an Apple (which is weird given Apple is a clone of Sony done right, but I digress) and require you to use MediaGo for data transfers.

Takao said:
I don't think they'll allow Windows Explorer simply for fear of loading up homebrew.

That doesn't really make sense. Letting you browse the filesystem directly when you have it hooked up via USB wasn't the source of any vulnerabilities in the original PSP, and if the system is hacked in some other way people will just bypass that restriction anyway.

Zee-Row

Banned
Has Sony mentioned the capacity of the NGP Cartridges yet? I wonder if they will be comparable or more than the 3DS carts.

Zee-Row said:
Has Sony mentioned the capacity of the NGP Cartridges yet? I wonder if they will be comparable or more than the 3DS carts.

With a machine that can handle higher resolution assets with a generational difference in processing power, I can imagine it will at the very least match if not exceed 3DS carts capacity limits.

This may have been posted before, but:

http://blog.cocoia.com/2011/the-rise-and-fall-of-xmb/

I thought this was an excellent post (from a guy who REALLY knows his shit about interface design) about why the NGP's UI interface is such a dramatic step back from the XMB.

[with the XMB interface] Sony managed to innovate in the stale and extremely unfriendly gaming console interface and create something that was devoid of useless flashy crap, extremely scalable, discoverable, elegant and intuitive.

Some people may say that the almost childish, late-nineties ‘bubble icon’ look they have going on in the new interface (marketing-named “LiveArea”) is key to be friendlier for the touch-based interactions the new device will have. However, the Xross Media Bar was easily adjustable for touch, and even while I’d admit there’s a great argument to design a new interface around touch (after all, XMB was specifically optimized for the PlayStation controller input), departing from all of XMB’s core values is hard to justify. We can say LiveArea wasn’t made the way it is purely for making touch input easier.

[Looking at the Wii, 3DS, and iOS interfaces,] we see why Sony pressured several of its (no doubt talented) interaction and visual designers to disregard their feelings and years of experience to create a saltless and hideous “me-too” interface. Sony is afraid that its sterile and modern aesthetic actually scared off potential customers, particularly the more casual gamers.

Function > Form

XMB was great when it premiered on PSP, excellent in PS3, and generally functional. I really dislike the garish presentation and advertisement laden clutter of the 360 interface.

DiscoJer

badcrumble said:
This may have been posted before, but:

http://blog.cocoia.com/2011/the-rise-and-fall-of-xmb/

I thought this was an excellent post (from a guy who REALLY knows his shit about interface design) about why the NGP's UI interface is such a dramatic step back from the XMB.

I dunno, I think the XMB is cluttered.

For instance, to check the battery hours left, I have to move the d-pad 5 times to the left (from the game tab), then 5 times down, then press X, then 10 times down, and another X.

That's 20 presses to get to one fucntion. But when the bubble design, presumably it would be 3 taps on the touch screen (for Settings, then System Settings, then Battery info). Well, probably more , since I don't see a settings on the screenshot of the NGP menu. But the XMB just got too big.

DiscoJer said:

For instance, to check the battery hours left, I have to move the d-pad 5 times to the left (from the game tab), then 5 times down, then press X, then 10 times down, and another X.

That's 20 presses to get to one fucntion. But when the bubble design, presumably it would be 3 taps on the touch screen (for Settings, then System Settings, then Battery info). Well, probably more , since I don't see a settings on the screenshot of the NGP menu. But the XMB just got too big.
This new interface is also dramatically uglier than the iOS or 3DS interface.

KingDizzi

Banned
gofreak said:

And Alex Evans' tweet:

Great stuff, really good. With Killzone and Uncharted NGP I can forgive the games not being made by their actual developers if they release within a year of the NGP's release however after that all games need to be made by their actual developers. Uncharted by ND, Killzone by GG, GT by PD etc.

badcrumble said:
This new interface is also dramatically uglier than the iOS or 3DS interface.
There is nothing inherently wrong with the "bubble" icons. It just the colors that are throwing people off.

The bubbles seem to function in the same way as the square icons of any touch based smart phone, ( ios, android) but the kid friendly colors makes them look cheap and garish. If you take the current NGP interface and replace it with a black background and PS3 waves. Then give the bubbles a darker metallic glint. It would look more like a "Sony" interface.

Hopefully Sony will release an NGP version of their theme creator, like they did for the PSP and PS3.

Allowing users to create their own custom themes is something I don't think Sony gets enough props for.

DiscoJer said:

I tend to just hold the directional button until I reach the option I want, maybe I just have a knack for the timing.

jiggle

http://www.andriasang.com/e/topics/2011/03/01/flying_get/

Following last week's in-depth feature on 3DS, this week's Famitsu has a feature on Sony's new NGP portable.

Included in the feature is some commentary from many third party VIPs. Here's some of what has leaked out from the commentary:

Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase

Sega's Satoshi Sakai (aka Mr. Phantasy Star)

Crafts & Meister's Noritaka Funamizu

Namco Bandai's Katsuhiro Harada (aka Mr. Tekken)

Konami's Akari Uchida (aka Mr. Love Plus)

Level-5's Jiro Ishii (aka Mr. Time Travelers)

The feature also has commentary from Suda 51, Jun Takeuchi (Capcom), Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Capcom), Toshihiro Nagoshi (Sega), Hiroshi Matsuyama (CyberConnect2), Yoshifumi Hashimoto (Marvelous), Yousuke Hayashi (Tecmo/Team Ninja) and others.

comments in link
:lol at namco
not expecting much from Lv5 if Hino doesn't even bother to comment on the thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom