• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Takao said:
They started it with the DSi, and I think it may have been a form of piracy protection. Though, it's incredibly short sighted if they actually think that's a good solution.

nintendo put region locking in places cause they're not the official distributor in many countries, they rely on other companies so they need to put region locking in it in order not to cut their sales.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
fernoca said:
Well, that sounds like the Xbox situation were Microsoft didn't wanted to call it Xbox 2 because of the PlayStation 3. So is not that crazy to think Sony would think similar. :p
NGP = Playstation Trinity, confirmed.

Takao

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:
nintendo put region locking in places cause they're not the official distributor in many countries, they rely on other companies so they need to put region locking in it in order not to cut their sales.

That makes sense, but it does clash with their business model for the past 20 years. Though I guess that's because of the rise in internet importation.

lupinko said:
It was mentioned in another thread unrelated to the NGP, but has it been announced anywhere that the NGP is region locked? I don't remember that in the conference, I sure hope not.

Especially since Sony as a whole has been moving in a more positive direction in recent years (PSP region free, PS3 BD region free, PSN region free, BD only has 3 regions as opposed to DVD's 9 regions) with regards to regional distribution licensing.

Completely different Sony that is running the show now. Hence why NGP doesn't support such simple things as SD cards, HDMI, or USB ports. I would not expect region free gaming like PSP and PS3.

Gravijah

H_Prestige said:
Completely different Sony that is running the show now. Hence why NGP doesn't support such simple things as SD cards, HDMI, or USB ports. I would not expect region free gaming like PSP and PS3.

Huh, NGP doesn't have a USB port? Can't be true.

Sipowicz

Banned
the psp didn't have a usb port either so i dont think it's a big deal

what's this about region locking? there's no way this thing is region locked right?

Jinfash said:
NGP = Playstation Trinity, confirmed.

There was a rumor going around on some message boards the the system will be named P3P, for Playstation 3 Portable. That Sony is moving towards having Playstation just be one word rather than two.

I would be okay with that name.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sipowicz said:
i'm guessing it's just for chargin it or putting things on the memory card. seems a bit unnecessary tbh
Are there any other uses for USB ports I'm not aware of lol? My sarcasm detector is busted.

plagiarize said:
the 3DS monkey ball isn't a minigame fest (just has two minigames, both way more developed than your average monkey ball minigame).

whether or not it's still crappy is still a mystery.

There's nothing wrong with minigames. As long as they are fun, well designed, easy to learn and balanced, I wouldn't mind a minigame compilation at all. The problem is that most minigame compilations don't meet that criteria.

Takao

Banned
Sipowicz said:
i'm guessing it's just for chargin it or putting things on the memory card. seems a bit unnecessary tbh

It's a Mini-USB cable. It comes with literally ever single portable device I own that uses USB to connect to a computer. Heck, it's the same cable that recharges Dual Shock 3s, and PlayStation Move controllers.

Stephen Colbert said:
There was a rumor going around on some message boards the the system will be named P3P, for Playstation 3 Portable. That Sony is moving towards having Playstation just be one word rather than two.

I would be okay with that name.

I think Nintendo owns the name "Playstation", and P3P is terrible.

The Go had a proprietary, iPod-like USB port. I wouldn't be surprised if the NGP kept this 'feature'.

H_Prestige said:

It depends on what division of Sony we are talking about, what their agenda of the day is etc.

Sony Ericsson for example have no qualms about including industry standard features in their smartphones, such as micro USB and micro SD, nor are they bothered about supporting an open platform with Android.

Takao

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
The Go had a proprietary, iPod-like USB port. I wouldn't be surprised if the NGP kept this 'feature'.

The ports we've seen on the PlayStation Meeting NGPs basically confirm a proprietary cable port.

Sipowicz

Banned
Jinfash said:
Are there any other uses for USB ports I'm not aware of lol? My sarcasm detector is busted.

i've got this microhpone thing you put on the top. never used it for connecting via usb tbh

you can just charge it off the plug and you can just take out the memory card if you want to put stuff on it

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
MoxManiac said:
It's 4x the resolution, right? I wonder how PSP games will look on this thing? Paticularly 2D games (like Tactics Ogre!)
MH3P looked alright, but 2D games' appearance is yet to be seen :(

Gravijah

Sipowicz said:
i've got this microhpone thing you put on the top. never used it for connecting via usb tbh

you can just charge it off the plug and you can just take out the memory card if you want to put stuff on it

I don't think I have any other device that can read... whatever the fuck the memory cards name is.

WillyFive

MoxManiac said:
It's 4x the resolution, right? I wonder how PSP games will look on this thing? Paticularly 2D games (like Tactics Ogre!)

2D games should look the same. And unless the NGP renders the polygonal games at a higher resolution, they will also look the same.

Sipowicz

Banned
Gravijah said:
I don't think I have any other device that can read... whatever the fuck the memory cards name is.

the best thing to do is use micro sd. get either one or two micro sds and get a sony memory stick adapter (which can take one or two micro sds)

good thing about micro sds is you can get adapters to convert them into sd cards as well

tzare

MoxManiac said:
i think it is twice the resolution

480x272 psp
960x544 ngp

My favorite part is that it's exactly 1/4th of 1080p resolution.

1920x1088 /4 -> 960x544

I look forward to uploading and viewing many blu ray captures on the system.

Sipowicz

Banned
if this thing did have a tv out would it be possible to play it on a tv without putting it in a box?

could they not upscale it or something? i always wondered why they didn't do that with the normal psp

Stephen Colbert said:
My favorite part is that it's exactly 1/4th of 1080p resolution.

1920x1088 /4 -> 960x544

I look forward to uploading and viewing many blu ray captures on the system.

Assuming Sony lets you.

Zoibie

Sipowicz said:
if this thing did have a tv out would it be possible to play it on a tv without putting it in a box?

could they not upscale it or something? i always wondered why they didn't do that with the normal psp

I hope Sony put more video codecs in the NGP. .avi would be nice.

I highly doubt Sony is going to be as open with the NGP as they were with the PS3. Just looking at the recent images of the NGP, it shouts proprietary hardware. The gaming media, multimedia, and input slot are proprietary. Sony was completely burned by piracy on the PSP and they do not want history to repeat itself.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Takao said:
When the Capcom guy went on stage during the show for Monster Hunter Portable 3rd it was said he was playing the PSP version off of PSN. In later interviews both Yoshida and Hirai confirmed this, as well as confirmed that PSP games will have slight visual improvements if played on the NGP.
Thanks mate. That's good to hear too

btkadams

pharmboy044 said:
I highly doubt Sony is going to be as open with the NGP as they were with the PS3. Just looking at the recent images of the NGP, it shouts proprietary hardware. The gaming media, multimedia, and input slot are proprietary. Sony was completely burned by piracy on the PSP and they do not want history to repeat itself.
the NGP can't shout.

plus, haven't a lot of sources said that an sd slot will be included? having sd rather than memory stick is a big step for sony and it's not in the direction of proprietary. proprietary flash carts for the games make perfect sense. i don't see any indication that the NGP won't follow the line of the PSP/PS3 and support many formats.

btkadams said:
the NGP can't shout.

plus, haven't a lot of sources said that an sd slot will be included? having sd rather than memory stick is a big step for sony and it's not in the direction of proprietary. proprietary flash carts for the games make perfect sense. i don't see any indication that the NGP won't follow the line of the PSP/PS3 and support many formats.
I don't know what sources mentioned SD because Shuhei Yoshida in the video below confirmed that they will be using proprietary memory slots for both gaming and multimedia.
http://www.gamespot.com/ngp/action/uncharted/video/6287022

btkadams

pharmboy044 said:
I don't know what sources mentioned SD because Shuhei Yoshida in the video below confirmed that they will be using proprietary memory slots for both gaming and multimedia.
http://www.gamespot.com/ngp/action/uncharted/video/6287022
oh, so it's been confirmed now? well that sucks haha.

BUT, let's not forget this playstation suite business. they're putting playstation games on other devices. they are clearly open to cross-platform games which would lead us to believe they'd be open to cross-platform formats.

btkadams said:
oh, so it's been confirmed now? well that sucks haha.

BUT, let's not forget this playstation suite business. they're putting playstation games on other devices. they are clearly open to cross-platform games which would lead us to believe they'd be open to cross-platform formats.

at the very least, I think we can say goodbye to PSP's copy and paste window explorer file management where you can make any folder wherever you want. it's all gonna be controlled through media go software or it's new iteration.

btkadams

Callibretto said:
at the very least, I think we can say goodbye to PSP's copy and paste window explorer file management where you can make any folder wherever you want. it's all gonna be controlled through media go software or it's new iteration.
i am not against this. the software needs to be lean and user friendly (as well as on mac please). the fact that it's possible it wouldn't work on mac would lead me to believe you could drag and drop like the psp though.

tagrat

I'm sorry if this question has been answered, but do we know if the PSP games that you have already downloaded will be allowed to be installed on the NGP without paying for it again? I am thinking about buying PSP now that they are dropping the price to hold me until the NGP is released. I just want to make sure anything I pay for and download now will have no issue being installed on the NGP when I get it. I assume that you can just log in with your PSN account and redownload the titles?

tagrat said:
I'm sorry if this question has been answered, but do we know if the PSP games that you have already downloaded will be allowed to be installed on the NGP without paying for it again? I am thinking about buying PSP now that they are dropping the price to hold me until the NGP is released. I just want to make sure anything I pay for and download now will have no issue being installed on the NGP when I get it. I assume that you can just log in with your PSN account and redownload the titles?

The games that you buy from PSN right now can be used on your PSP2 without repurchasing them.

tagrat

SolidSnakex said:
The games that you buy from PSN right now can be used on your PSP2 without repurchasing them.

Awesome! I used to have a launch PSP, but then got rid of it. Ever since then I have wanted one again. Now I know I can buy games on PSN when possible, and still be able to play UMD based games too.

KAL2006

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
Anyway I can pick up a used PSP go for around a $100? If so Metal Gear Solid, here I come.

Why not just wait for NGP to be released, then you can play Peace Walker with dual analog controls. I am sure the launch line up won't have enough games (just like most console launch line ups), so you can play PSP games to keep you busy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom