• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAL2006

Banned
So does anyone know when the NGP dev talk is happening today, I'm not expecting big announcements, just want to know more about the system

Achtius said:
the hell is a ngmoco.

This is their game history

Charadium (2010)
Dr. Awesome (2008)
Dropship (2009)
Eliminate Pro (2009)
'Eliminate Sequel' (Name and game to be announced 2011)
Eliminate: Gun Range (2010)
GodFinger (2010)
MazeFinger (2008)
Rolando (2008)
Rolando 2: Quest for the Golden Orchid (2009)
Star Defense (2009)
Topple (2008)
Topple 2 (2009)
Touch Pets: Cats (Coming later 2010)
Touch Pets: Dogs (2009)
Touch Pets: Dogs 2 (2010)
We City ( 2010)
We Doodle (2010)
We Farm (2010)
We Rule (2010)
Word-Fu (2009)
Imperial Academy (2010)

IonicSnake said:
Anyone know if there will be a live stream/blog from the NGP lecture?

I'm not sure about Live, but Sony are very open to having their lectures recorded and posted on the GDC website. I've watched loads of their conferences on there. The Home ones are particularly interesting.

Galvanise_ said:
I'm not sure about Live, but Sony are very open to having their lectures recorded and posted on the GDC website. I've watched loads of their conferences on there. The Home ones are particularly interesting.

That's good to hear.

KAL2006 said:
So does anyone know when the NGP dev talk is happening today, I'm not expecting big announcements, just want to know more about the system
According to the GDC sched, yes

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/12598

SPEAKER/S: David Coombes (SCEA)
DAY / TIME / LOCATION: Wednesday 1:30- 2:30 Room 130, North Hall
TRACK / FORMAT: Programming , Game Design / Sponsored Session
DESCRIPTION: In this presentation we will introduce a new handheld console. We will talk about the devices broad range of input and connectivity options and how these create exciting new opportunities for game designers.
ELIGIBLE PASSES: Summits and Tutorials Pass, All Access Pass, Audio Pass, Main Conference Pass

Wait, is today Wednesday or Tuesday?

Or Monday?

Galvanise_ said:
Do you have to have some sort of membership to access that on their site?

KAL2006

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
According to the GDC sched, yes

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/12598

SPEAKER/S: David Coombes (SCEA)
DAY / TIME / LOCATION: Wednesday 1:30- 2:30 Room 130, North Hall
TRACK / FORMAT: Programming , Game Design / Sponsored Session
DESCRIPTION: In this presentation we will introduce a new handheld console. We will talk about the devices broad range of input and connectivity options and how these create exciting new opportunities for game designers.
ELIGIBLE PASSES: Summits and Tutorials Pass, All Access Pass, Audio Pass, Main Conference Pass

Wait, is today Wednesday or Tuesday?

Or Monday?

what time zone is that, shouldn't this have already happened today

Takao

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
This is their game history

Rolando (2008)
Rolando 2: Quest for the Golden Orchid (2009)

Rolando (2008)
%5B272%5D_rolando.jpg

LocoRoco (2006)
locoroco_midnight_carnival_5.jpg

You would think they'd want the NGP to succeed so that they can get more "inspiration" for "their" games.

Alts

Takao said:
Rolando (2008)
%5B272%5D_rolando.jpg

LocoRoco (2006)
locoroco_midnight_carnival_5.jpg

You would think they'd want the NGP to succeed so that they can get more "inspiration" for "their" games.

Worth pointing out that ngmoco didn't develop that game. I don't know that they develop anything. They just "publish".

Takao

Banned
Alts said:
Worth pointing out that ngmoco didn't develop that game. I don't know that they develop anything. They just "publish".

That's actually worse. If they were a small studio who didn't know better than I can understand. But an actual publisher releasing a game that is a shameless clone is Ubisoft/Gameloft style, and publishing the sequel after they were called out for being a clone just proves they don't care.

jeremy1456

Takao said:
3/4 platforms Sony has launched were released at $299 or less. There's only 1 platform that broke that pattern, and it's the platform that burned a huge hole in the company and is the least successful. I doubt they'll ever want to repeat that.

You fail to point out that the very last system they released was the one for more than $299, and that they released a revision for their 5 year old handheld system at the insane price of $250.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jeremy1456 said:
You fail to point out that the very last system they released was the one for more than $299, and that they released a revision for their 5 year old handheld system at the insane price of $250.
Part of that 250 was to insentivise the retailers to carry a DD only system...profiting on the hardware itself IIRC.

Sipowicz

Banned
people are making the mistak of thinf america = the world

europe is a huge market and even if it is a rip by american standards sony could release it at a competitive price here

daoster said:
Wonder if sony will have a hotspot deal with att similar to nintendo...and netflix should be a given right?

they'll probably have a deal with the one that decides to carry the 3G edition. be it at&t or verizon.

Cyborg

Sipowicz said:
people are making the mistak of thinf america = the world

europe is a huge market and even if it is a rip by american standards sony could release it at a competitive price here

Thats true......and dont forget Europe is a richer continent! But you cant blame the Americans :) Most of them think Europe is ONE country ;)

Joke.

Ellis Kim

Banned
pharmboy044 said:
Looking at that image, I really hope they change the sticks so that they are concave and click in.
You say that as if Sony wasn't first to market with clicking sticks.

Cyborg said:
Thats true......and dont forget Europe is a richer continent! But you cant blame the Americans :) Most of them think Europe is ONE country ;)

Joke.
And yet, looking at those graphs that Iwata put up during his GDC keynote indicates a curiously smaller penetration of gaming into the market across all demographics in comparison to America. The fact that various countries in Europe have negative growth in population (less kids) also contribute to this.

thuway

I am really hoping that future iterations of the PSP2 end up in a mobile device. The tech will allow it to scale to a mobile phone easily :).

FoxSpirit

The more I think about the back touchpad the better it becomes. I didn't realise, but it's the same size as the front screen, so interaction is 1:1.

This means you can pretty freely hit a spot on the display tapping from the back pretty easily with little practice and won't have your hand cover the whole screen when you reach for the upper left. Brilliant.

Cruzader

Banned
daoster said:
Wonder if sony will have a hotspot deal with att similar to nintendo...and netflix should be a given right?
Netflix is something that will be on everything. PSP2 being social like and having improved infrastructure than PSP mean yes, Netflix will be on for PSP2 on that glorious screen!

Spiegel

1:32
Alright we're in!
Wednesday March 2, 2011 1:32
1:33
Long ass line. The room
s filling up quickly.
Wednesday March 2, 2011 1:33
1:34
Saw Reggie from Nintendo on my way in. Shit's getting real, son!
Wednesday March 2, 2011 1:34
1:34
I'm hoping there's some real info
Wednesday March 2, 2011 1:34
1:36
I'll let you know if there is
Wednesday March 2, 2011 1:36
1:36
So far everyone's just filing in. Sitting next to a few guys from SEGA.
Wednesday March 2, 2011 1:36
1:37
cell-phones going off. Time to begin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom