• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 Design Possibly Leak

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Looks good if true.
NGVR-Design01-1536x864.jpg

The model presented has reduced the size of its predecessor and has increased the rear in contact with the head.
The wheel also disappears,which adjusted the side fastening rubbers and is replaced by anchors in the form of snaps.
NGVR-Design.jpg

Last edited:

McCheese

Light leak would be terrible on that mockup, looks more like an AR headset than a VR one.

The design in the filing looks more realistic

onQ123

That "render" is an actual AR headset Sony made for a Ghostbusters AR thing they did in Japan.

99zk6mA.jpg
OsY9UzF.gif

That said, the patent could be for a VR headset. Who knows.

Im probably the only person here that want the next headset to be AR or MR & not just VR.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Wireless? We're a few gens away from it being able to deliver the kids of visuals I want wirelessly and as an owner of the of PSVR a single wire and proper controllers is a fucking game changer for this thing, I'm more than happy

NoviDon

Same way the Quest 2 is. Really hope they figure out a way for this to be before launch.
Oculus is not comparible to a AAA VR device. Idk why you would even bring that up. And yeah I don't think the technology is going to advance to allow super low latency wireless AAA VR gaming that will be available 5-10 years from now, by the time it launches.... Also even if it miraculously did the price would not be feasible for an consumer product.

kyliethicc

Same way the Quest 2 is. Really hope they figure out a way for this to be before launch.
The Quest is wireless, but weak. Its literally the mobile gaming version of VR.

Mobile gaming is wireless, sure. But pales in comparison to the fidelity and experience of wired home console gaming on PS5.

Sony will be aiming to deliver the same gap in experience between PS5VR and Quest as there is between a PS5 and a smartphone.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Mobile gaming is wireless, sure. But pales in comparison to the fidelity and experience of wired home console gaming on PS5.

Sony will be aiming to deliver the same gap in experience between PS5VR and Quest as there is between a PS5 and a smartphone.
This. Wireless also would increase the cost of it and require a battery.

One single USB-C is fine. The current PSVR mk2 I have has one single cord and it's never an issue unless sitting down and even then rarely.

baphomet

Oculus is not comparible to a AAA VR device. Idk why you would even bring that up. And yeah I don't think the technology is going to advance to allow super low latency wireless AAA VR gaming that will be available 5-10 years from now, by the time it launches.... Also even if it miraculously did the price would not be feasible for an consumer product.

It's already available and had been for years. As has been said you can use the Quest 2 wirelessly to play PC VR.

ManaByte

Gold Member

I play Steam VR on my Oculus wirelessly.

Pagusas

Elden Member

the heck are you talking about? Have you not used a quest 2 in the last year? 100% wireless streaming from a local PC, extremely low latency and it’s completely wonderful to use. Could never ever go back to a wired connection again. Playing Half Life Alyx and walking around a super large area without fear of cords is amazing, and it’s built natively Into the quest now, not a third party software/system

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
the heck are you talking about? Have you not used a quest 2 in the last year? 100% wireless streaming from a local PC, extremely low latency and it’s completely wonderful to use. Could never ever go back to a wired connection again. Playing Half Life Alyx and walking around a super large area without fear of cords is amazing, and it’s built natively Into the quest now, not a third party software/system
But now with the fear of low battery and heavy headset

No thanks, I prefer my one wire.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Exactly!

If I can play Half Life Alyx completely wirelessly on ultra settings right now…

…why do I have to have a wired PSVR 2?

Last edited:

Fredrik

But now with the fear of low battery and heavy headset

No thanks, I prefer my one wire.
There are better head straps to make the weight a nonissue and you can plug in a wire if you want. Quest 2 is the real deal, Steam VR works great wirelessly. The only problem is the lack of AAA games, but that’s a VR problem more than a Quest 2 problem.

MHubert

Im a bit confused. I know that the headset is confirmed to have a wired connection, but: what exactly is prohibiting them to make a wireless add-on? As far as I know, the tech is there

ManaByte

Gold Member
Im a bit confused. I know that the headset is confirmed to have a wired connection, but: what exactly is prohibiting them to make a wireless add-on? As far as I know, the tech is there

The tech is there and it works beautifully thanks to the genius of Lord Carmack. There's no reason to be tethered to a box with VR in 2022. Hopefully Sony realizes that and quickly makes PSVR2 wireless before they officially reveal it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
PSVR was a mess of cables, just make it with one cable this time.

I don't think the people ok with "one cable" have really experienced true wireless room scale VR. Even with just "one cable" you'll be tripping over that and restricted in your movement when trying to walk around a 6x6 room scale VR environment.

It's like making a DualSense Pro controller, but making it wired when the technology exists and is proven for it to be wireless.

Again, PSVR hasn't been officially revealed yet so Sony has time to improve it to 2022 VR standards before they do.

MHubert

The tech is there and it works beautifully thanks to the genius of Lord Carmack. There's no reason to be tethered to a box with VR in 2022. Hopefully Sony realizes that and quickly makes PSVR2 wireless before they officially reveal it.
My thoughts as well. I honestly believe that when Sony says that PSVR2 is wired, it will be wired as is, and that a wireless option will be available for an additional fee. Which is a smart move to keep the costs down for the headset. A bit dated, but I remember this article touching on the subject.

Last edited:

yurinka

PSVR was a mess of cables, just make it with one cable this time.
make a wired and wireless version with a $100 price difference, I'd happily pay the extra for wireless
Have Sony confirmed if PSVR2 is wireless this time around?
Not sure right now but I think it was confirmed to have a single USB cable. And it was rumored that some time later after launch they'd release an add-on to make it wireless.

KiteGr

If Sony want this VR thing to catch on, Sony needs to allow you to buy 3rd party headsets.
Being able to choose your headset, and use it on othe devices as well would be a huge boon on the concept, whos biggest issue is the price.

Kev Kev

Wired = DOA

Quest is already better and offers the full VR experience wirelessly.
i keep trying to figure this but cant get a straight answer...

so you need a PC to make the most of the quest correct?

im pretty sure you NEED a pc for other VR like oculus and vive (unless im mistaken?) but for quest you dont need a PC, but if you really want to get the most out of it you need a PC to power it, correct?

is thats the case, then that is the reason why someone like me would stick with a wired psvr2. im not a pc guy and i wont be investing inone just for vr. i will be buying a ps5 for a lot of different games, and the fact that psvr2 is coming to ps5 just sweetens the deal. so the wire isnt a big deal to me at that point.

does that make sense to those who dont understand why some of us are okay with the wire? i hope this post isnt coming off as facetious because im not trying to be. just from everything ive looked up, you can play the quest without a PC, but its not nearly the high quality experience everyone is describing without a pc to help it out. am i missing something here?

I wouldn’t put PSVR 2, up on a pedestal as if it were the Vive 3 or Index 2. It has to be affordable. Wireless is amazing and should be available as it’s the best way to experience VR. Oculus’s wireless VR tech is incredible and works very well as I’ve used it many times. Sony would be stupid not to at least try to implement it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom