• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest 3 VR Headset render images have been leaked by Brad Lynch, may be mixed reality.

Good chance we get pancake lenses and bigger FOV. Reasonable chance of eye tracking. The OLED seems a longshot, for some reason they have been reluctant to use OLED and I don't think it is even the cost as even the Quest Pro is some type of local dimming LCD.
Also hoping for color high res pass thru.
add to that some new fangled laser based wifi for zero latency I heard about some company testing.

Was playing Alyx last night and had the thought that the deckard will probably be powerful enough to run it natively. Whenever they release it sheesh.

And PSVR2 needs a cable and an external processing box which is an automatic dealbreaker.
There’s only a cable, no external processing box. And that cable is needed to deliver in all of its awesome features. People complaining about a single cable should check their mental health. It’s not like the experience requires you to dance around in the room. 99% of the games are made to be played sitting down or just standing still. Maybe they’ll be only like 1 or 2 games that require a room setup.

Droxcy

Putting the cable connection on the piece on the plastic where it snaps onto the headset doesn't seem like a smart move but we'll see.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Was playing Alyx last night and had the thought that the deckard will probably be powerful enough to run it natively. Whenever they release it sheesh.

The who.....

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

fart town usa

Gold Member
PSVR or nothing at all for me. VR is already a gimmick for the most part, the content simply isn't there (outside of a handful of bangers). I'm sure people who spend hundreds on this will feel satisfied when they're waving their arms around in Beat Saber.

Last edited:

Reallink

Good chance we get pancake lenses and bigger FOV. Reasonable chance of eye tracking. The OLED seems a longshot, for some reason they have been reluctant to use OLED and I don't think it is even the cost as even the Quest Pro is some type of local dimming LCD.
Also hoping for color high res pass thru.

Pancake lenses eat 80% of display light output (they're comically inefficient), meaning you'd need like 800nit OLED panels just to deliver basic SDR brightness (~150 nits) through pancakes.

Last edited:

Reallink

They're waiting on AMD. They're gonna need something that at least doubles the Steamdeck to reach PCVR's 8 year old minimum system requirements

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
PSVR or nothing at all for me. VR is already a gimmick for the most part, the content simply isn't there (outside of a handful of bangers). I'm sure people who spend hundreds on this will feel satisfied when they're waving their arms around in Beat Saber.
That’s totally cool, but what exactly is PSVR2 offering that isn’t already on Quest 2+PCVR? Call of the Mountain? I look at the list of launch games and it’s all games already on Quest 2+PCVR, but without some of the very best games like Alyx, RE4, Asgard’s Wrath, and Flight Sim.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That’s totally cool, but what exactly is PSVR2 offering that isn’t already on Quest 2+PCVR? Call of the Mountain? I look at the list of launch games and it’s all games already on Quest 2+PCVR, but without some of the very best games like Alyx, RE4, Asgard’s Wrath, and Flight Sim.
It is at least also getting the newer RE games in likely as good implementations as RE4 rather than the somewhat janky PC VR mods out there. We'll see if Capcom actually grace other capable platforms with ports or just ignore them like with RE7. But yeah, whether they do or not at this time, VR is becoming just another way to game (as it is), normalized if you will, so it's very likely that eventually all major platforms will be getting the bulk of the games just like flat gaming evolved so you get pretty much everything whether on PS, PC, Xbox or wherever, save for (some of) the first party stuff.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It is at least also getting the newer RE games in likely as good implementations as RE4 rather than the somewhat janky PC VR mods out there. We'll see if Capcom actually grace other capable platforms with ports or just ignore them like with RE7. But yeah, whether they do or not at this time, VR is becoming just another way to game (as it is), normalized if you will, so it's very likely that eventually all major platforms will be getting the bulk of the games just like flat gaming evolved so you get pretty much everything whether on PS, PC, Xbox or wherever, save for (some of) the first party stuff.
It's still a "less-janky" version of something that's already been experienced on PC. RE4 Remake says "VR content", so we're not sure exactly what that entails.

PSVR2 seems like a good headset. I'm just addressing the statement made that it will have games, while Quest2/3+PCVR is, and will have, gimmicks. You know as well as anyone what's available across the Quest 2+PCVR ecosystem. For now, the PSVR2 doesn't really offer anything worthy of enticing me to drop $550. Different strokes for different folks, for sure. I don't value higher fidelity with the penalty of a cable as much as I value standalone VR with the bonus of wireless PCVR. I routinely take my Quest 2 and Chromecast(sometimes even my laptop) and bring it family and friends homes and rarely fails to disappoint. It all fits into a grocery bag or a small backpack. No worrying about pets and kids tripping on the wire. That's freedom and flexibility. It's the future, now.

Last edited:

Alexios

t's still a "less-janky" version of something that's already been experienced on PC. RE4 Remake says "VR content", so we're not sure exactly what that entails.

PSVR2 seems like a good headset. I'm just addressing the statement made that it will have games, while Quest2/3+PCVR is, and will have, gimmicks. You know as well as anyone what's available across the Quest 2+PCVR ecosystem. For now, the PSVR2 doesn't really offer anything worthy of enticing me to drop $550. Different strokes for different folks, for sure. I don't value higher fidelity with the penalty of a cable as much as I value standalone VR with the bonus of wireless PCVR. I routinely take my Quest 2 and Chromecast(sometimes even my laptop) and bring it family and friends homes and rarely fails to disappoint. It all fits into a grocery bag or a small backpack. No worrying about pets and kids tripping on the wire. That's freedom and flexibility. It's the future, now.
You already have VR as someone may have a PC and not care for a PS5 for flat gaming, sure, people choose, that was my point, most VR games will be multiplatform just as most flat games are so people choose whichever. Consoles didn't die cos of PC, or vice versa, they all can have an audience regardless of you or I. Others are still waiting for a platform that seems right for them. Maybe that will be PSVR2 soon or much later after it gets more games, maybe Quest 3 or Pico 5 or Focus 4, or Nintendo VR, it's not like the boasted but still few existing Quest users is all VR is ever going to reach.

Though I'll say it seems less likely than in flat gaming that we'll see people have multiple beyond PC VR + whichever stand alone kit from Meta or other competitors, current or eventual. Not also have PSVR2 and some other stand alone kit and PC VR on top. But who knows. Maybe Sony should look into making PSVR2 compatible with PC VR for interested users who haven't yet jumped in or want an upgrade, maybe their next iteration will be both stand alone and PS5 (and could do PC VR too itself), that'd certainly make it more enticing as you get 2 or 3 in 1 vs a stand alone + PC VR kit's 2 in 1.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
You already have VR as someone may have a PC and not care for a PS5 for flat gaming, sure, people choose, that was my point, most VR games will be multiplatform just as most flat games are so people choose whichever. Consoles didn't die cos of PC, or vice versa, they all can have an audience regardless of you or I. Others are still waiting for a platform that seems right for them. Maybe that will be PSVR2 soon or much later after it gets more games, maybe Quest 3 or Pico 5 or Focus 4, or Nintendo VR, it's not like the boasted but still few existing Quest users is all VR is ever going to reach.
Now we're on a completely different subject than "PSVR2 will have games, while Quest+PCVR has gimmicks". I'm fine with people wanting a different ecosystem. I'm simply making the objectively true statement that at this time there's less there than is already here.

Last edited:

Alexios

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong, such claims are idiotic to say the least, lol, I ignore that sort of thing most of the time regardless of the topic, there's too much, I was doing the same here rather than silently agreeing or anything. I was just giving my related thoughts to some stuff you said there.

Last edited:

Gorgyles

Banned
I bought a PSVR
and sold it after exhausting the experiences

Then a couple years later I bought a Quest 2
and sold it after exhausting the same experiences

VR hasn't arrived
There's no AAA content and don't say Bone Lab which is a janky murder simulator
Locomotion still sucks as well

I wonder if these problems will ever be solved and big devs will actually jump in
Until then, I have my fond memories of Astro Bot

They're waiting on AMD. They're gonna need something that at least doubles the Steamdeck to reach PCVR's 8 year old minimum system requirements
I am wondering if steam go all in one will they be linux based, as the quest and the mountain of devs creating content for all in one VR are developing for an android based system right? Or does that have more to do with the cpu and not the software over it? I obviously am confused someone explain this to me.

Basically I am asking how screwed valve would be in the all in one software market.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not much of anything. I don't think PSVR2 is gonna be the ultimate VR headset, I'm just getting it cause of a potential Astrobot game and because I have a PS5. Village as well but I'm not sure if that's exclusive to PSVR2.

I'm fine with VR but all the major headsets are lacking big time with meaty games. It is what it is though, it's such a dynamic technology and is probably damn difficult to make the types of high-caliber games that us nerds want to experience.

I should have worded my original reply better, my snarky comment wasn't directed at the users, mostly just that there's this new exciting tech but it still comes down to guided tour-type experiences and Beat Saber like games for the most part.

I'm fine with VR but all the major headsets are lacking big time with meaty games. It is what it is though, it's such a dynamic technology and is probably damn difficult to make the types of high-caliber games that us nerds want to experience.

There's also the issue of how much money there is on the table. If there's no Roi you won't see much major investment. VR headsets are already, aside from Quest 2, niche in sales compared to a game console for example, and the software sales will also be a lot less. Beat Saber is still the premier game to beat.

hlm666

End of that video has a part about cloudvr again. I've screwed around with a quest 2 using plutosphere when I was bored during covid and the experience was much better than you would expect. I'm really curious to see how well meta can get it working and if they do a subscription for it if they will include some games. Speaking of subscriptions without games, anyone know if you can get vr working with geforce now? that's the best streaming service i've used to date for normal games and would be interesting to see how it goes with vr.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't see the point of bringing up PSVR every time, when it will have no access to the things you can get with a PC-connected headset like the Quest. It just isn't even in the same league as a product.

Something fun I've been playing (mute the video):

Even just the amazing emulators and ports are worth connecting it to a PC. And if you don't have a PC, there's still lots of homebrew ports you can run natively inside the headset, since they actually allow you run homebrew code freely.

Not to mention Alyx and its endless hours of mods.

Top Bottom