• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 Design Possibly Leak

ManaByte

Gold Member
i keep trying to figure this but cant get a straight answer...

so you need a PC to make the most of the quest correct?

im pretty sure you NEED a pc for other VR like oculus and vive (unless im mistaken?) but for quest you dont need a PC, but if you really want to get the most out of it you need a PC to power it, correct?

is thats the case, then that is the reason why someone like me would stick with a wired psvr2. im not a pc guy and i wont be investing inone just for vr. i will be buying a ps5 for a lot of different games, and the fact that psvr2 is coming to ps5 just sweetens the deal. so the wire isnt a big deal to me at that point.

does that make sense to those who dont understand why some of us are okay with the wire? i hope this post isnt coming off as facetious because im not trying to be. just from everything ive looked up, you can play the quest without a PC, but its not nearly the high quality experience everyone is describing without a pc to help it out. am i missing something here?

Oculus doesn't need a PC. BUT if you have a PC you can play any PC VR game on your Oculus wirelessly with the full quality that PC VR provides.

"Not needing a PC" isn't a valid excuse to keep PSVR2 wired. The technology exists to make it wireless, to not take advantage of that would be a step backwards. Again, it'd be like making a wired DualSense for reasons.

Buggy Loop

I was half way through Half Life Alyx “wired” on Quest 2 and then they released the wireless patch for the headset. It makes a world of difference for the experience. I can’t imagine a single reason to want wired beyond this point. The battery added I bought that is behind the head actually even makes the headset more comfortable as it balances out.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was half way through Half Life Alyx “wired” on Quest 2 and then they released the wireless patch for the headset. It makes a world of difference for the experience. I can’t imagine a single reason to want wired beyond this point. The battery added I bought that is behind the head actually even makes the headset more comfortable as it balances out.

I still need to get one of those. I got the pro strap though.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Oculus doesn't need a PC. BUT if you have a PC you can play any PC VR game on your Oculus wirelessly with the full quality that PC VR provides.

"Not needing a PC" isn't a valid excuse to keep PSVR2 wired. The technology exists to make it wireless, to not take advantage of that would be a step backwards. Again, it'd be like making a wired DualSense for reasons.
Yeah I’d love for it to be wireless too, but I’m still gonna get it and enjoy the crap out of it even with a wire. But it seems to be a no deal for a lot of people so they should just work on making it wireless.

ManaByte

Gold Member
But it seems to be a no deal for a lot of people so they should just work on making it wireless.

Because a tethered wire hampers gameplay. More and more VR games are being designed with room scale in mind, and you can't walk around a room with a cable dangling from your head that's attached to a box. Especially with a VR headset on as you'll either trip over the cable, pull it out of the device, or possibly even yank hard enough to pull the device out of the TV stand onto the floor.

Room scale VR is basically being in a Star Trek Holodeck. It doesn't work the same when you're tied down with a cable. So producing a wired VR headset anytime after 2021 is a huge step backwards.

Kev Kev

Because a tethered wire hampers gameplay. More and more VR games are being designed with room scale in mind, and you can't walk around a room with a cable dangling from your head that's attached to a box. Especially with a VR headset on as you'll either trip over the cable, pull it out of the device, or possibly even yank hard enough to pull the device out of the TV stand onto the floor.

Room scale VR is basically being in a Star Trek Holodeck. It doesn't work the same when you're tied down with a cable. So producing a wired VR headset anytime after 2021 is a huge step backwards.
Fair enough. I’m not disagreeing with you. I think they should go wireless. It’s just not a deal breaker for me.

Rudius

If Sony want this VR thing to catch on, Sony needs to allow you to buy 3rd party headsets.
Being able to choose your headset, and use it on othe devices as well would be a huge boon on the concept, whos biggest issue is the price.
A single device made in great numbers can be sold for a cheaper price due to economies of scale. A additional thing Sony could do to help boost VR is allowing PSVR2 to function natively on PCs. It would be the best bang for the buck in that segment.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've used both wired and wireless for room scale and while wireless removes the issue of the cord possibly getting in the way (which it won't if you have a long enough one) it doesn't solve the bigger issue of hitting/running into other shit in the room.

People acting like everyone has a 10x10 foot empty rooms to play VR in. I'll take the single cord for a more straightforward superior VR experience than dealing with battery life, streaming to the headset, and an increase in cost. Even the the resolution would probably be lower if it's wireless.

If they offered a more expensive wireless version that had decent battery life then I'd go for that personally, but for most people wired is their best option.

LimanimaPT

I'll pass any game that forces me to be standing, so wireless or not is the same to me.

I wish my valve index was wireless... Who cares about batteries? It's not like anyone will be doing 8 hours straight in VR... I've done it before, but holy shit that can be intense.

ManaByte

Gold Member
People acting like everyone has a 10x10 foot empty rooms to play VR in. I'll take the single cord for a more straightforward superior VR experience than dealing with battery life, streaming to the headset, and an increase in cost. Even the the resolution would probably be lower if it's wireless.

You really only need at least 6x6. But smaller works. I have a 6x4 area I can clear for room scale.

Wireless doesn't affect resolution either. Stop trying to create FUD over wireless VR.

Gamerguy84

I've said this many times before but also fine with a USB C cord. I don't want to have to charge it before use.

Batteries are heavy but a hybrid solution with a smaller battery could be fine.

It's VR and your not walking around or going anywhere. PSVR was more limited by its tracking solution and camera system than a wire.

Sony makes pretty good balance of affordable and quality electronics. No matter though in the end its the software that will define it.

DaGwaphics

The Quest is wireless, but weak. Its literally the mobile gaming version of VR.

Mobile gaming is wireless, sure. But pales in comparison to the fidelity and experience of wired home console gaming on PS5.

Sony will be aiming to deliver the same gap in experience between PS5VR and Quest as there is between a PS5 and a smartphone.
Air Link no good?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Have Sony confirmed if PSVR2 is wireless this time around?

Rumored to only have a single wire. Thank God as being an owner of the OG Playstation VR, the cables are a nightmare.
Network-Spaghetti.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't get this wireless obssession.
How many people prefer playing with wired gamepads? Not many. Just about everyone goes wireless. And with wired controllers they dont even get in the way as it's always pointed straight ahead to the console.

Why would you purposely want wires for VR if a VR system can do well without it?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Air Link no good?

Provided you have a dedicated router, it's absolutely excellent. Better than wired PCVR for me. Picked up an old TP-LINK, and use that with no internet connection. If you have the PC to run VR games, you have a pretty much flawless experience in wireless.

R6Rider

Gold Member
You really only need at least 6x6. But smaller works. I have a 6x4 area I can clear for room scale.

Wireless doesn't affect resolution either. Stop trying to create FUD over wireless VR.
I mentioned lower resolution in the fact that they would take cuts in other areas to meet a price point. If they were to make it wireless and headset resolution would probably be one of them.

Again the advantages having it wired far outweigh those of it being wireless. Especially for walking around in a small area when 99% percent of the movement in VR games is still done with the controller.

DaGwaphics

Provided you have a dedicated router, it's absolutely excellent. Better than wired PCVR for me. Picked up an old TP-LINK, and use that with no internet connection. If you have the PC to run VR games, you have a pretty much flawless experience in wireless.

No PC for VR gaming personally, just wondering how the tech works in general. If they could get something like that working ad hoc between a headset and a dongle it could be great.

MHubert

I mentioned lower resolution in the fact that they would take cuts in other areas to meet a price point. If they were to make it wireless and headset resolution would probably be one of them.

Again the advantages having it wired far outweigh those of it being wireless. Especially for walking around in a small area when 99% percent of the movement in VR games is still done with the controller.
What are the advantages of having it wired if wireless is sold seperately?

ManaByte

Gold Member
No PC for VR gaming personally, just wondering how the tech works in general. If they could get something like that working ad hoc between a headset and a dongle it could be great.

Don't even need a dongle. Oculus works through your network. No resolution drop or anything for wireless, full PC VR fidelity completely wireless.

And it didn't even launch that way. You originally needed to download an app in order to get it working, but then Lord Carmack in his eternal brilliance built it into an OS update to allow it to work natively without having to download the Virtual PC app that you previously had to use.

So, again, the technology exists for Sony to do this with PSVR2. There's no real excuse for them to not do it at this point, and likewise making up excuses to keep a tethered wire doesn't make sense in the face of where VR technology is in 2021.

DaGwaphics

Don't even need a dongle. Oculus works through your network. No resolution drop or anything for wireless, full PC VR fidelity completely wireless.

And it didn't even launch that way. You originally needed to download an app in order to get it working, but then Lord Carmack in his eternal brilliance built it into an OS update to allow it to work natively without having to download the Virtual PC app that you previously had to use.

So, again, the technology exists for Sony to do this with PSVR2. There's no real excuse for them to not do it at this point, and likewise making up excuses to keep a tethered wire doesn't make sense in the face of where VR technology is in 2021.

True, I just meant that instead of using a dedicated router for this like a poster mentioned, they could eliminate the reliance on your home WiFi network by just creating a direct connection to an ad-hoc dongle. Would completely alleviate any concern about others using the Wifi at the same time as well, unless there was an online component to the game of course. You could also use a higher, short-range frequency since you probably would not need a connection more than 15-20ft, good for latency.

Oculus does it at a competitive price too, so, that really isn't much of an excuse either. But Sony will probably brings some tricks we aren't expecting too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom