• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 review thread

So were happy Neogaf? I don't see much activity here and it seems like almost GotY material this year
MSFS2020 on XBOX is, but that's besides the point.

Not everyone is happy lol. Some people can't cope.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Not everyone is happy lol.
I wanted to paste my thoughts there and it got promptly locked. SAD

Hugare

Damn, want expecting such high scores

I'm happy for Double Fine. They are very talented, but havent made a game with a sizable budget in many years.

Sadly, Im just a PS5 owner with terrible PC, so I'll play it only some years from now

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member

What was the OP about?, it only shows the mod edit. Paid reviews i guess?

Banjo64

cumsessed

How’s that level of copium not worth a perm :messenger_tears_of_joy: what a sad act.

TwistedSyn

Hey congrats to DF on Psychonauts 2. I played the original on PC a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot. I know fans of the original game have been waiting a long time for this.
Will pick it up later next month. Work is not being kind to me right now.

Last edited:
What was the OP about?, it only shows the mod edit. Paid reviews i guess?

I believe that was that kingfey kingfey thread was about. Not necessarily paid reviews but trying to argue that critics give higher scores to the PlayStation version of games. I didn't agree with him though.

I saw the other thread before it got the edit but I don't remember it being about paid reviews. It was dumb though.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

So happy for Schafer, if he’s relieved from monetary issues and manages to make good scoring games with profit with Microsoft, then it seems this gem of a studio will prosper.

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

So happy for Schafer, if he’s relieved from monetary issues and manages to make good scoring games with profit with Microsoft, then it seems this gem of a studio will prosper.

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

Going to be exciting to see what DF can do with all the budget and tools they need right from the get go. From what I understand Psychonauts 2 got a resources infusion in the middle of the development cycle. I’m guessing the next game from them may be more ambitious from a design standpoint.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I was voicing my opinion in a previous thread about my dissatisfaction with a lot of my anticipated gamepass releases lately. I'm glad to see this one has seemingly delivered. I am very much looking forward to this game.

Do I need to play the original first?

Wait, if it's on gamepass, why does that prevent you from playing it on PC?

Some people seem to still have trouble with the Xbox app on pc. A lot of the games on there are early pre-patch versions with bugs, performance issues and no achievements. Some have updates available if you head over the the actual store (had to do this for The Ascent) but generally speaking the app has a way to go in terms of getting up to date versions of everything on it.

For me it’s open app, click install, click play for the most part. I’ve only needed to file-dive a few times since I started using Gamepass.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I was voicing my opinion in a previous thread about my dissatisfaction with a lot of my anticipated gamepass releases lately. I'm glad to see this one has seemingly delivered. I am very much looking forward to this game.

Do I need to play the original first?
It has an in game recap for those who haven't played the 1st, but I recommend playing it anyway.

Kagey K

Banned

Jesus :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Everytime there's a bit of positivity towards MS, these come out of the woodwork.

sad schitts creek GIF by CBC

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Quiet review thread for what is clearly going to be one of the best games of the year from the sounds of it. Such a shame.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wait, if it's on gamepass, why does that prevent you from playing it on PC?
Major issues with installs for me when getting the games straight from MSFT.

I've bought games on Steam for this reason. I still can't fully uninstall Forza Horizon 4 on my 500gb 980 Pro and it takes up over 50GB.

Dr Bass

What is the point of the post three above?

I remember wanting to play the first one on the OG Xbox when it came out but the design and general aesthetic kind of turned me off. Looks a little too Tim Burton-ish for me, but maybe it's worth checking out? What is the closest comparison one might make for the gameplay?

Last edited:
What is the closest comparison one might make for the gameplay?
Light platforming with multiple powers. More exploration and dialogue than most platformers. Light puzzles involving using the correct items at certain times.

It's comparable to Mario and Astrobot, but it doesn't control as smoothly as Mario. Has more story than both of them. The art style and general creativity carry a lot of it. Some levels are like Space Channel 5, some like Mario Galaxy, some are like X-files but hilarious, some like a crazy Mexican graffiti fever dream. It's a basic platformer / collect-a-thon though in terms of gameplay.

Last edited:

tommib

EKujua1.png

Bustafellows is some VN garbo with 10 reviews and Quake shouldn't be there as OpenCritic doesn't put remasters/re-releases in their hall of fame for the year. Meaning Psychonauts is numba one babyyyy
So good to see Quake, the greatest game ever made, leading the pack.

Haggard

Banned
Nice.
I was one of the few who played the first one when it came out.
I remember a very whacky and just all around sympathetic game. Might give the sequel a try :)

How that wasn’t ban worthy is a head scratcher for me. But I am appreciative of the mods attempts to clean that shit up in general.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Glad it is receiving good reviews, unfortunately I have never got around to playing the first game so would probably do that before jumping in to this?

Sentenza

The first one is still one of my all-time favorites.
I currently have a Gamepass Ultimate subscription active on PC (one of these deals for a dollar) but I'm seriously considering straight-up buying this one.
It's not like we get a new Psychonauts every month after all.

More like the game R&C wishes it could ever be.
Especially when it comes to writing.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Major issues with installs for me when getting the games straight from MSFT.

I've bought games on Steam for this reason. I still can't fully uninstall Forza Horizon 4 on my 500gb 980 Pro and it takes up over 50GB.

Oh thats so wierd, for me it just loads/deletes like any of the other launchers.

Glad it is receiving good reviews, unfortunately I have never got around to playing the first game so would probably do that before jumping in to this?

I played a few hours of the first and loved what I experienced…but then the big Game Pass drops REALLY started and I left it for other things. Just got back into Psychonauts 1 again this morning with the intention of finishing it before I delve into #2.

As special as the sequel is looking, it just feels “right” somehow to have played the first game.

Fuz

Banned
EKujua1.png

Bustafellows is some VN garbo with 10 reviews and Quake shouldn't be there as OpenCritic doesn't put remasters/re-releases in their hall of fame for the year. Meaning Psychonauts is numba one babyyyy
Dafuck is bustafellows?

Top Bottom