• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake II Remastered | Review Thread

Apocryphon

Nah, man. Even Doom 1 and 2 is better than Quake 2 .
The death animations are lame in Quake 2 imo.
I actually understand what you’re saying. The limitations of the technology didn’t allow for the kind of detailed animations Doom had, so we got the knock back/gibbing. I definitely don’t hate it, but there is a distinct lack of impact in many of the death animations unless you do enough damage to gib them. It’s a product of it’s time though, Half Life and Unreal weren’t much different.

Danknugz

really disappointing when a non q2dm* map comes up or it's just the edge over and over, people need to take the time to set up the q2dm* in rotation

Danknugz

seems like there's some server bug, keep getting disconnected from games and also happened when i tried to host myself

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What is the invert issue? Did they not include an invert option?
They did but in co-op it is either normal or inverted for all players. Each player has their own controller settings and their own invert setting it just populates to all the other players so it seems like it is a bug that is hopefully fixed soon.

Nice surprise that the Steam version got updated to this automatically! I never really played too much of this game (i'm more a fan of the original Quake), but enjoying it so far.
Question though, do you do better damage the closer you are to the enemies in this?

JimboJones

They did but in co-op it is either normal or inverted for all players. Each player has their own controller settings and their own invert setting it just populates to all the other players so it seems like it is a bug that is hopefully fixed soon.
Some work arounds

The sn30 pro 8BitDo controllers let you invert the right stick in their PC software.

I think Xbox lets you remap at a system level which includes inverting the sticks.

But hopefully they fix it in game.

Krathoon

Yeah. You get it for free if you have it on gog. It's fantastic. Now, you can easily do multiplayer in Quake 1 and 2. Then you got Quake Live for 3.

Last edited:

Pakoe

The reviews. It's not a good remaster, they changed too many things were they should have changed none.

Q1 if you only intend to play the campaign.
Q2 for the greatest multiplayer in history (esp. duel)
Haven't played it yet, but wasn't aware it had that many changes.
Besides the new AI and campaign, what doesn't resonate with you?

T-0800

Quake 1 IMO is a better game. Can't say for the quality of Quake 2. Quake 1 have perfomances issues on base PS4.

Are you talking about the weird frame pacing issue? It is possible to make that go away but it's annoying to do each time you want to play the game.

simpatico

It's worth it for everyone to download the unmaster mod just to reverse the rail gun nerf. No clue why they did that. Guess it was too perfect.

Fake

Are you talking about the weird frame pacing issue? It is possible to make that go away but it's annoying to do each time you want to play the game.

I talking about frame rate drops. Believe or not, there are frame rate drops on base PS4 running Quake Remaster. Normally close to portal or when foes use lightning attack source like rocket, grenade or thunder.
You can check right now, even in the first level 'welcome to Quake' where you select both episode and difficult, there are performance issues.

Danknugz

This tends to be a divisive question. I love both, but I definitely prefer the first. At the same time, I have no argument with people who prefer the second.

You will find that both have aged extremely well. The world has a strange kind of physicality which has rarely been matched since its release.
It isn't a "strange physicality" it's just a well designed engine and super fine tuned mechanics and gameplay, sadly people are so used to garbage, boring games one comes along that's actually fun and good and they think it's a "strange physicality"

Dazraell

I've played it a bit on Switch, but gonna say, this is a fantastic remaster for a really great price. I wish other companies would give their older games a similar treatment. Hopefully we will have more remasters like this, not shitty "commercially accurate" re-releases

Scotty W

Gold Member
It isn't a "strange physicality" it's just a well designed engine and super fine tuned mechanics and gameplay, sadly people are so used to garbage, boring games one comes along that's actually fun and good and they think it's a "strange physicality"
You repeated exactly what I said, but in a way that tries to make me look bad.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Could care less about multiplayer.....how is this for single player content on PS5? Decent trophy list and a platinum without multiplayer trophies?

Last edited:

Enjoying this. Plays silky smooth on xcloud. Shocked how different Quake 64 2 was to pc q2, great to have these different versions in one plays.

twilo99

Weren’t we supposed to get mouse and keyboard support for cloud gaming? That would allow me to play this on my laptop when on the go

DelayTheSun

Neo Member
This remaster finally got me to play the Q2 expansions mission packs and wow is The Reckoning ROUGH. I don't know that I would have made it through without the compass. Just a constant flow of bland environments filled with bullet sponge enemies. I'm finally done with that slog and happy to be back in the warm embrace of Rogue with Ground Zero. Finished the first unit and the jump in quality is super apparent.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
F4GYVR4XUAAp9uT

clapping-cigar.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Played through Quake II, The Reckoning, Ground Zero, and Quake II 64 so far. Yes, there's a couple things I hope they tweak (like the machine gun recoil), but all things considered, I'm really enjoying this. For whatever reason, I played a lot of Q2 back in the day, but never got past the 5th or 6th stage, so this is almost all new content to me, more or less.

Quake II: Great game. Solid level designs, good difficulty ramp, but pretty easy overall. Classic id.
The Reckoning: Much more intense, still fun, but it feels super imbalanced, and the reliance on monster closets with enemies that spawn behind you is obnoxious.
Ground Zero: Way better than The Reckoning, and in a lot of ways, better than vanilla Q2. It's faster and more intense, and I love the added weapons. Levels get a little too maze-y at times, but the compass really helps even things out.
Quake II 64: This was unexpectedly excellent - honestly, it might be my favorite of the campaigns. It's Quake II with more color, slightly more interesting environments and (most importantly) much more readable maps. The level layouts are so much less confusing, and it makes for a much, much more enjoyable game overall.

At the end of the day, the game is still great and the mechanics are really enjoyable. I'm taking a break before playing Call of the Machine, but this has been a super enjoyable game to revisit and finally give some proper time to.

Top Bottom