• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Quake II Remaster Announcement is imminent

Kuranghi

Its pretty stark how the opinion on Q2 is split in this thread, I was also there for launch and I loved it, the music was a big part of it definitely but I enjoy the weapons and level design too. I had great fun back then and I still do when I play it today. Its not like a masterpiece of level design but the bonus levels were large and it felt like you were finding something special when you entered them imo.

I understand if you just loved the MP over SP but even some people here who played it for the SP here say they thought it was disappointing at the time, I think Unreal was more impressive visually in most ways but it didn't run well for me I remember and also felt like it took ages to get going so I never finished it. Q2 you are literally shooting guys like 5 seconds after the intro finishes and you can find the regular shotgun within 1 minute.

Unreal felt like you were dicking about in a swamp for 20 mins before anything happened, or am I misremembering?

Kuranghi

Charles Dickens once wrote:

“It was the best of Quakes (Quake 1), It was the worst of Quakes (Quake 2)…”

and it still stands true today. Bring on Quake 3 remaster.

The worst? Q4 is the worst if there any worst one. Q3 isnt an SP game so technically Q2 is the 2nd best Quake if you prefer Q1. I played Q1 for first time this year and its clearly a great game but didn't really hook me in like Q2 does even now, I want to complete the game every time I play it.

The worst? Q4 is the worst if there any worst one. Q3 isnt an SP game so technically Q2 is the 2nd best Quake if you prefer Q1. I played Q1 for first time this year and its clearly a great game but didn't really hook me in like Q2 does even now, I want to complete the game every time I play it.
Yeah, no. To me Quake 4 has a much more engaging and tense campaign that Quake II and it combines Q3 multiplayer to boot. Considering you've only entered the franchise recently it's not surprising.

Kuranghi

Yeah, no. To me Quake 4 has a much more engaging and tense campaign that Quake II and it combines Q3 multiplayer to boot. Considering you've only entered the franchise recently it's not surprising.

Yeah no I entered the franchise in 1997. I played Quake 2, 3 and 4 at launch. I played Q1 for the first time this year. Q4 is a great game, I like it, Q2 is better purely due to the music. Let's agree to disagree.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Its pretty stark how the opinion on Q2 is split in this thread, I was also there for launch and I loved it, the music was a big part of it definitely but I enjoy the weapons and level design too. I had great fun back then and I still do when I play it today. Its not like a masterpiece of level design but the bonus levels were large and it felt like you were finding something special when you entered them imo.

I understand if you just loved the MP over SP but even some people here who played it for the SP here say they thought it was disappointing at the time, I think Unreal was more impressive visually in most ways but it didn't run well for me I remember and also felt like it took ages to get going so I never finished it. Q2 you are literally shooting guys like 5 seconds after the intro finishes and you can find the regular shotgun within 1 minute.

Unreal felt like you were dicking about in a swamp for 20 mins before anything happened, or am I misremembering?

Unreal always felt like a tech demo to me. Only enjoyed UT.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Wild. As someone that grew up with Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM releases, to me Quake 4 was the worst. I felt like the pacing was strange and had a number of what felt like personality disorders. At times it felt like a DOOM 3 expansion/mod to me, and then others it just did random things that felt out of place. I vividly remember the vehicle riding segments thinking it was SUPER odd, lol. I beat it feeling like nothing felt too memorable outside of the Stroggification scene. I just loved that it was a sequel to Q2, because, well, I LOVED Q2. I never really got to experience the multiplayer unfortunately because every time I tried to play there were either no servers or it lagged to hell, lmao. So I was just left thinking it wasn't good. A ton of my homies online and offline that played Q1/Q2/Q3 a ton didn't play it or ever talk about it so I felt like it was pretty telling. It's just all a matter of opinion.

Yeah, Unreal always felt like a glorified tech demo to me. I remember being wowed by the engine, especially the scene where you go up against a Skaarj for the first time. Where the hallway goes dark and the small lights light up the walk way. But I remember putting the campaign down and playing the multiplayer for awhile. It felt much more memorable to me, even if it still kind of felt a bit shallow. But man did I love the level with the gigantic fan in it that people could fall into, lol.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I was a big Quake fan back then, spent hundreds of hours with Q1 and Q3, and modded Q2 (mostly action Quake), but when Q4 launched, I think I didn't even finish the first mission, because the game didn't click with me at all. I loved and wanted the medieval and gothic themes of Q1 and Q3, and Q4 was a RAH RAH SPACE MARINES! game that didn't feel like real Quake in the slightest.

But a few months ago I bougth it on Steam to give it another shot, and what can I say, I really liked it. Still haven't played more than an hour or so, but I'm definitely going to play through it this time.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I was a big Quake fan back then, spent hundreds of hours with Q1 and Q3, and modded Q2 (mostly action Quake), but when Q4 launched, I think I didn't even finish the first mission, because the game didn't click with me at all. I loved and wanted the medieval and gothic themes of Q1 and Q3, and Q4 was a RAH RAH SPACE MARINES! game that didn't feel like real Quake in the slightest.

But a few months ago I bougth it on Steam to give it another shot, and what can I say, I really liked it. Still haven't played more than an hour or so, but I'm definitely going to play through it this time.
Some people are overly harsh on the games IMO. I feel like every single one should be experienced. But the outcome of how a person feels about each one is up to them. Even with Q4 being my least favorite, I don't regret playing it at all or anything. It's NOTHING like that.

Wildebeest

Quake 2 was fine I guess, but the level design wasn't that exciting and varied since by then half of the Quake designers had left and the game had stronger competition. It feels like half step towards the more story driven games that came later, that only really conceptually worked when Half-Life came out.

Patrick S.

Banned
Some people are overly harsh on the games IMO. I feel like every single one should be experienced. But the outcome of how a person feels about each one is up to them. Even with Q4 being my least favorite, I don't regret playing it at all or anything. It's NOTHING like that.
Yeah, regardless of what I expected from the Quake games after the first one, they all range from good to masterpiece. Absolutely worth playing all of them.

Apocryphon

Quake IV was the worst, evidenced by it not having anything like the following the preceding games have. It didn’t have the atmosphere of Quake and it deviated too far from the world laid out in Quake 2. Doom 3 has a bigger cult following than Quake IV.

I think Quake IV not being developed by id themselves was to its detriment.

I’ll buy the Quake 2 remaster on platforms I don’t already own Quake 2 on though, even if it isn’t as well rounded as the original game.

Quake 2 was great, but at the time there was something far more impressive and satisfying about Unreal. To this day, Quake and Unreal are two of my favourite FPS games. Here’s hoping id give Quake the Doom 2016 treatment and stick to Eldritch gothic.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Of all idSoft developed games, I think Quake II has aged the worst.

Still hopeful for the remaster, but at the same time I hope that's not the only announcement related to the future of the series.

Yeah no I entered the franchise in 1997. I played Quake 2, 3 and 4 at launch. I played Q1 for the first time this year. Q4 is a great game, I like it, Q2 is better purely due to the music. Let's agree to disagree.
Quake II had excellent audio design thanks to Sonic Mayhem, but to me that's not a huge deal as I take the whole package into consideration.
Wild. As someone that grew up with Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM releases, to me Quake 4 was the worst. I felt like the pacing was strange and had a number of what felt like personality disorders. At times it felt like a DOOM 3 expansion/mod to me, and then others it just did random things that felt out of place. I vividly remember the vehicle riding segments thinking it was SUPER odd, lol. I beat it feeling like nothing felt too memorable outside of the Stroggification scene. I just loved that it was a sequel to Q2, because, well, I LOVED Q2. I never really got to experience the multiplayer unfortunately because every time I tried to play there were either no servers or it lagged to hell, lmao. So I was just left thinking it wasn't good. A ton of my homies online and offline that played Q1/Q2/Q3 a ton didn't play it or ever talk about it so I felt like it was pretty telling. It's just all a matter of opinion.

Yeah, Unreal always felt like a glorified tech demo to me. I remember being wowed by the engine, especially the scene where you go up against a Skaarj for the first time. Where the hallway goes dark and the small lights light up the walk way. But I remember putting the campaign down and playing the multiplayer for awhile. It felt much more memorable to me, even if it still kind of felt a bit shallow. But man did I love the level with the gigantic fan in it that people could fall into, lol.
Quake IV has been compared to Doom III largely because of the same engine and the nature of the games themselves. The campaign has more emphasis on tense horror action, though the vehicle sections are absolutely tedious. The narrative of having to battle the Strogg and taking out their main communication network is more involving and expanded than the second game, plus it has some solid weapons to boot. The multiplayer never took off because Q2 & 3 were still extremely popular and IV essentially remade their maps into ID Tech 5, though many people never wanted to migrate. As for Unreal, it's much more than a tech demo, the campaign is both extremely long and extremely gruelling, but it's absolutely worth it with some of the largest and varied locations ever in gaming. The multiplayer for Unreal on the other hand is terrible due to extremely thin character models and questionable maps, though UT99 fixed this.
Quake IV was the worst, evidenced by it not having anything like the following the preceding games have. It didn’t have the atmosphere of Quake and it deviated too far from the world laid out in Quake 2. Doom 3 has a bigger cult following than Quake IV.

I think Quake IV not being developed by id themselves was to its detriment.

I’ll buy the Quake 2 remaster on platforms I don’t already own Quake 2 on though, even if it isn’t as well rounded as the original game.

Quake 2 was great, but at the time there was something far more impressive and satisfying about Unreal. To this day, Quake and Unreal are two of my favourite FPS games. Here’s hoping id give Quake the Doom 2016 treatment and stick to Eldritch gothic.
Some of these points are usual hyperbolic thrown out by people who hate on later instalments. Doesn't have the same atmosphere of Quake because it's an entirely different setting and it basically expands upon the world and narrative of Quake II as it's a sequel. And how was ID not developing the game a detriment when Raven Software were one of the most respected FPS developers of the decade and worked alongside them? Between Unreal and Quake II I'm most definitely in the Unreal camp as it's much better than Quake II in my humble opinion, though it doesn't have the same level of multiplayer and as such has suffered in legacy.
Yeah, no. Not even close to Q3 levels of MP quality. The maps and weapons were terrible, nobody played it. Even pro players quickly fell off and moved onto something else.
Most of the maps from Q2/3 were recreated in Q4 and they look and play pretty much the same. The weapons are the same bag, though they feel a little different. It was well received and sole reasonably well, though it fell off because it wasn't strong enough to move people away from Quake III: Arena.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Can we all at least agree on Quake Champions being shit?

GIF by MOODMAN

Can we all at least agree on Quake Champions being shit?
Game looks fantastic and has some stunning environments. The weapons, characters and sound design is absolutely top notch. We can't praise it because it went into the hero shooter mould, despite the fact that most abilities are balanced and they provide for another layer of gameplay depth. Though I'll be honest I can't comment too much on this one as it has heavy system requirements and I can't run it.
Quake-Champions-Beta-Shot-12.jpg
https%3A%2F%2Fapptrigger.com%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F06%2FQuake-Champions-Lockbox_Screenshot_1497055153.jpg

At least they tried and put it out unlike Epic.
Epic has removed all Unreal Tournament games from electronic storefronts and whist that wasn't an issue for me because I own them, it clearly shows how they feel about their flagship franchise. Word on the grapevine was that Epic were turning Unreal Tournament III into a free to play version called 'Unreal Tournament 3 X' and I was happy there were some developments, but now it seems even that has been cancelled!

• Triggered
Reactions: Fuz
Unreal Engine 2 was used in UT2003 which released in 2002, then UT2 came along in 2003 and then UT2004 (an expanded version of UT2003) in 2004.
2003 was the medicore one. The time span between 2003 and 2 was four months as u2 came out in February 2003. Concurrent development i assume.

2003 was the medicore one. The time span between 2003 and 2 was four months as u2 came out in February 2003. Concurrent development i assume.
2003 scored solidly and UT2004 is basically an expanded version of it. Unreal 2 was made by Legend Entertainment who are the same people who did the expansion pack to the first game.

Apocryphon

Quake II had excellent audio design thanks to Sonic Mayhem, but to me that's not a huge deal as I take the whole package into consideration.

Quake IV has been compared to Doom III largely because of the same engine and the nature of the games themselves. The campaign has more emphasis on tense horror action, though the vehicle sections are absolutely tedious. The narrative of having to battle the Strogg and taking out their main communication network is more involving and expanded than the second game, plus it has some solid weapons to boot. The multiplayer never took off because Q2 & 3 were still extremely popular and IV essentially remade their maps into ID Tech 5, though many people never wanted to migrate. As for Unreal, it's much more than a tech demo, the campaign is both extremely long and extremely gruelling, but it's absolutely worth it with some of the largest and varied locations ever in gaming. The multiplayer for Unreal on the other hand is terrible due to extremely thin character models and questionable maps, though UT99 fixed this.

Some of these points are usual hyperbolic thrown out by people who hate on later instalments. Doesn't have the same atmosphere of Quake because it's an entirely different setting and it basically expands upon the world and narrative of Quake II as it's a sequel. And how was ID not developing the game a detriment when Raven Software were one of the most respected FPS developers of the decade and worked alongside them? Between Unreal and Quake II I'm most definitely in the Unreal camp as it's much better than Quake II in my humble opinion, though it doesn't have the same level of multiplayer and as such has suffered in legacy.

Most of the maps from Q2/3 were recreated in Q4 and they look and play pretty much the same. The weapons are the same bag, though they feel a little different. It was well received and sole reasonably well, though it fell off because it wasn't strong enough to move people away from Quake III: Arena.
You don’t need to take my word for it. Quake IV is mid..

MiguelItUp

Man, Quake Champions could've, and should've been better. Though I remember when they first announced it, it gave a hint that hero abilities were a thing and I was like, "Oh, oh no...."

I still won't forgive Epic for shelving UT repeatedly. Especially the latest iteration that they swept under the rug and then moved everyone to Fortnite.

Last edited:

simpatico

Quake 4 isn't even Quake. More of a cash in using Doom 3 tech. Feels nothing like Quake, plays nothing like Quake, and doesn't even use classic Quake visual themes. Everyone talks about the Strog scene, but ask yourself, is it worth slogging through 5 hours of a very mid, slow and sluggish shooter for one cool cut scene? It's 100% a console shooter in terms of structure and gameplay. If it was called Alien Warz, no one would even remember it.

Quake 4 isn't even Quake. More of a cash in using Doom 3 tech. Feels nothing like Quake, plays nothing like Quake, and doesn't even use classic Quake visual themes. Everyone talks about the Strog scene, but ask yourself, is it worth slogging through 5 hours of a very mid, slow and sluggish shooter for one cool cut scene? It's 100% a console shooter in terms of structure and gameplay. If it was called Alien Warz, no one would even remember it.

It was def a reskinned Doom 3. MP was abysmall as well since it had this D3 engine "heaviness", everything was a slog like slow motion compared to Q2,3 MP.

Man, Quake Champions could've, and should've been better. Though I remember when they first announced it, it gave a hint that hero abilities were a thing and I was like, "Oh, oh no...."

I still won't forgive Epic for shelving UT repeatedly. Especially the latest iteration that they swept under the rug and then moved everyone to Fortnite.
Worst thing is, the community was going full on with the assets. It could of been released as a F2P game later on since the fans built it. They just left them to hang dry and their work made useless.

MiguelItUp

Worst thing is, the community was going full on with the assets. It could of been released as a F2P game later on since the fans built it. They just left them to hang dry and their work made useless.
Yuuuuuup! They didn't even really address killing it off IMO either. It was just all treated so poorly I feel. It's just all so weird to me, especially for everything the Unreal/UT series was for Epic.

Top Bottom