• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Quake II Remaster Announcement is imminent

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I bought it day one and lied to myself, telling myself I was enjoying it, but in reality, it was really bland, and the weapons sucked balls. The level design was also much inferior to Q1‘s medieval fantasy setting.
IMO Q2 has most boring weapons monsters and level design. So everything that is important is bland and boring. I hate Q2. It's like Dark Souls 2 - you feel like they fooled you.

twilo99

We really need a new Quake and I have no idea what it should look like.

Part of me wants a Quake3/live based game but then again all the work that went into developing Quake Champions with all the different movement styles is very interesting.. hard to master, but its nice to have all the styles in one game.

Also, I guess this needs to remain a "hardcore" PC game, which won't attract a lot of players, but adding aim assist will just kill it.

RayBoy

oh_yeah_macho_man.gif

Always hated Quake II and consider it the worst in the series, though I can imagine being the minority in this opinion. The environment ranged from brown to shaded brown and the level designs were somewhere convaluted. An expanded weapon roster and horrific enemy designs were welcome additions, but I hated the science fiction setting in contrast to the fantasy one of the first. For me it's Q1, Q3, Q4 Q2

Fuz

Banned
I'm old enough to remember how disappointing Quake 2 was to me besides the amazing graphics. Quake 1 was incredibly atmospheric and the levels were great. I never liked the switch to Sci-Fi.
Oh, I absolutely agree.
I was so fucking disappointed, you have no idea.

Then I discovered multiplayer.

P.S.
Quake 2 multi was MILLION times better than Q3. "Pro" players moved to 3 just because they were kind of forced to since it was the new thing.

Last edited:
Oh, I absolutely agree.
I was so fucking disappointed, you have no idea.

Then I discovered multiplayer.

P.S.
Quake 2 multi was MILLION times better than Q3. "Pro" players moved to 3 just because they were kind of forced to since it was the new thing.
I admit I played Q2 MP literally once for 20 minutes before deciding I wasn't nearly competitive enough. I didn't play FPS MP again until...Hunt: Showdown.

I missed out on 20 years of MP shooters lol

MiguelItUp

P.S.
It always feels SO good to see someone else say this. Every time I do I'm just glad I wasn't the only one that felt that way, lol.

I ADORED Quake 2's multiplayer so much. So much so that when Quake 3 came out I just didn't get "it". I still played it a bit, but to me it just didn't feel like what I thought the third game would feel like. I never understood how people legitimately thought Quake 3 was better than 2, lol.

twilo99

But Q3A/QukaeLive multiplayer is also very, very good.. I might be biased since my competitive streak peaked with QuakeLive, but I think a lot of people enjoyed it

Fuz

Banned
It always feels SO good to see someone else say this. Every time I do I'm just glad I wasn't the only one that felt that way, lol.
I was in a pretty serious clan at the time (not "pro", "pro" didn't exist yet and the term was just coming to light - I found it stupid back then), and a lot of people were saying just that - "Q2 plays better, but we need to switch to the new thing". Q3 was called "a flipper" (italian for pinball) among many Q2 players. So it's not just you and me. [Edit: and it was more welcoming to newbies since it was much, much easier to score a random kill]

Play it or disappear from the scene.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I was in a pretty serious clan at the time (not "pro", "pro" didn't exist yet and the term was just coming to light - I found it stupid back then), and a lot of people were saying just that - "Q2 plays better, but we need to switch to the new thing". Q3 was called "a flipper" (italian for pinball) among many Q2 players. So it's not just you and me.

Haha, the ONLY clan I was ever in was a Quake 2 clan, we won a Heat.net tournament, so it was a pretty big deal for me back then. I was never in a clan after that cause I just didn't care enough to do that again. Quake 2 was really special for me, lol.

Yeah, I had noticed a lot of big players just kind of disappeared.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I'm so going to play this. Experiencing q2 back in the days when it was new was mind blowing. The colors and lighting was like nothing I had ever seen before. And I could just stand still and watch those flies swarming over the hot and fresh body parts.

Last edited:

Ivan

Quake 2 reminds me of 1997, one of my favourite gaming years. PS1 was awesome and PC with 3d acceleration was the next big thing. I remember seeing Quake 2 on voodoo 2 for the first time, and MAN....

What was interesting is that all my friends that introduced me to first person shooters always played on keyboard only, so when Q2 came out, that's how I experienced it. I was too young to surf the web and find alternate control schemes. I actually tried mouse look in Q2 AFTER Half-life which made it default for the first time.

That was all back then, awesome times, but with age, I changed my opinion a bit. It doesn't have that God-tier status in my head anymore. The campaign is nothing special, general feel of the guns is so-so, but the music still rocks.

For me that was 56k modem era, so MP experience sucked big time.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Great news, i bought it at the time, loved the game, i didn't like the switch to mp with 3 and Quake 4 was ok, but didn't quite hit the mark for me, Quake 2 was the last great Quake game, a good decision imo to remaster it.

This is sweet news.
Quake 2 is what got me started in online gaming with clans. Still got the files with all our clan skins on a drive somewhere. Then Quake 3 arena was a game I played with a clan for years.
Day one for me. Can't wait to play the single player for Quake 2 all over again in 4k widescreen.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Cant wait!

Played quake 2 rocket arena 2 like a 100 hour double job the summer of 98’.

As mentioned in another post, it was when I got my voodooFX 3d card and my first game loaded up was Quake 2. Light up rockets down hallways, amazing colored lighting with lava and toxic waste. Was like upgrading from from SD to HD for the first time.

Was also when I upgraded from 33.6k modem to cable modem. Being a HPB (average 250 ping) moving to a LPB (30 ping average) was also magic with the net code back then.

Lastly, Q2DM1 “The Edge” is the greatest FPS level of all time.

Last edited:

Sojiro

I'm old enough to remember how disappointing Quake 2 was to me besides the amazing graphics. Quake 1 was incredibly atmospheric and the levels were great. I never liked the switch to Sci-Fi.

I'll pick this up and see how it is now, I'm sure I was just being an elitist and it's a good time in its own right.
I like them both for their strengths. Quake one definitely has better level design and I like the atmosphere, and the weapons rocked (especially the g launcher and thunderbolt), but I also really like the strogg angle of Quake 2, and shit like the railgun was equally as cool. Part of the reason I really dig Quake Wars was the strogg, I really like how they are.

ZehDon

Gold Member
It'll need to be a sterling remaster to compete with Quake II RTX. With that said, the Quake Remaster was very nice - I'm actually playing through it again at the moment - so they may deliver once again. For as much as I enjoy Quake II/4, I hope a new Quake is basically Doom III in Quake 1's setting. Quake II and 4 just don't climb to the same atmospheric heights.

Hudo

For all the fans of Quake 2 im happy for you. Personally ill wait for Quake 3 arena my baby.
Quake 3 is my jam as well but I have a hard time believing that they're gonna give it the remaster treatment because that would compete with Quake Live and Quake Champions too much, I think. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Quake 3 is my jam as well but I have a hard time believing that they're gonna give it the remaster treatment because that would compete with Quake Live and Quake Champions too much, I think. I'd love to be wrong, though.
Ill take an upres re release with online. Ill change my username back to Fragking28. IYKYK

Danknugz

I was in a pretty serious clan at the time (not "pro", "pro" didn't exist yet and the term was just coming to light - I found it stupid back then), and a lot of people were saying just that - "Q2 plays better, but we need to switch to the new thing". Q3 was called "a flipper" (italian for pinball) among many Q2 players. So it's not just you and me. [Edit: and it was more welcoming to newbies since it was much, much easier to score a random kill]

it was the rail gun mainly, quake3s tried to go this futuristic route with it but it just ended up kind of weak and effeminate compared to the supremacy of the q2 rail gun.

not surprised at all about the sentiment here about quake2. only those who played multiplayer a lot really got to enjoy what it was alll about. i can't imagine only having played single player, being oblivious and missing out on what was likely one of the most intense early multiplayer scenes.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz
I like them both for their strengths. Quake one definitely has better level design and I like the atmosphere, and the weapons rocked (especially the g launcher and thunderbolt), but I also really like the strogg angle of Quake 2, and shit like the railgun was equally as cool. Part of the reason I really dig Quake Wars was the strogg, I really like how they are.
The grenade launcher in Q1 is still endlessly satisfying. Find that right angle to bounce it around a corner and blow up several grunts...oh my.

theHFIC

Charles Dickens once wrote:

“It was the best of Quakes (Quake 1), It was the worst of Quakes (Quake 2)…”

and it still stands true today. Bring on Quake 3 remaster.

Top Bottom