• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Quake II Remaster Announcement is imminent

Draugoth

Gold Member
After a rating in Korea, notable leaker @billbil_kun says the remastered version of Quake II will be announced at QuakeCon 2023 (August 10 to 13) for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (as well as Game Pass).

The game will be revealed at QuakeCon 2023.

QuakeCon 2023 will take place from August 10 at 3:00 p.m. to August 13, 2023 at 10:00 p.m. (French time) at the Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center in Grapevine, Texas (United States). This annual event focuses on games developed by id Software. He returns this year in physics, after three years of virtual shows.

Besides, we think we know the date of the official announcement of the game thanks to its ESRB rating, which is not yet public. We can read in the document that the evaluation of the game will be made public on August 11, 2023 at this address (the URL is not active at the moment). It could therefore be that the game will be announced on this date or on the evening of August 10, 2023 since ESRB ratings are generally published long after the video games are announced.

Last edited:

twilo99

All I heard about Quake 4 were complaints about the multiplayer. How was the campaign?

Quake never had any good campaigns, I don't think that was ever a priority, multiplayer was, which is why people complained about it.

I personally think it was because of how good Q3A was so anything after that was always going to be rough.

intbal

We're never going to get that 360 version added to BC.

I suppose this will have to do.

Add: I wonder what they'll do about the opening intro. They could remake it. But the music is lost. They would just have to use the original audio files.

Last edited:

twilo99

It really was. I think that was the first game where 3D really blew me away.

Yes!

It was the first time I got to experience high framerate gameplay.. once I played a few games at 125fps it was over, everything else felt like a huge downgrade.

I've been hooked ever since lol and I honestly think that is the main reason I've been a PC gamer ever since then.

I actually remember the very day it happened. I was hanging with a group of guys who were a bit older than me and they've just started a little business of building and repairing PCs out of a two bedroom apartment in my neighborhood. They've just gotten a batch of the new Voodoo GPUs that were supposed to run Q2 properly so they invited me over to check it out. They had 5 PCs hooked up and 3 of them were in a deathmatch on Q2DM1... I just sat there staring at the screens in awe, then I played.. and then, lots of skipped classes for the rest of the school year hanging at the local "internet cafe" lol

twilo99

I was there for the launch, and I don’t really remember anything groundbreaking about it other than colored lightning, to be honest.

I don't know what it was, but the game felt absolutely amazing compared to anything before it. At least from my perspective..

Topher

Gold Member
Yes!

It was the first time I got to experience high framerate gameplay.. once I played a few games at 125fps it was over, everything else felt like a huge downgrade.

I've been hooked ever since lol and I honestly think that is the main reason I've been a PC gamer ever since then.

I actually remember the very day it happened. I was hanging with a group of guys who were a bit older than me and they've just started a little business of building and repairing PCs out of a two bedroom apartment in my neighborhood. They've just gotten a batch of the new Voodoo GPUs that were supposed to run Q2 properly so they invited me over to check it out. They had 5 PCs hooked up and 3 of them were in a deathmatch on Q2DM1... I just sat there staring at the screens in awe, then I played.. and then, lots of skipped classes for the rest of the school year hanging at the local "internet cafe" lol

Thresh......wasn't he the guy who won Carmack's Ferrari in some competition?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I've been REALLY looking forward to this ever since the rating came out. Quake 2 was HUGE for me growing up. The multiplayer was my jam for SEVERAL years, especially with all the mods. Rocket Arena 2, Rail Arena, Action Quake, Gloom, etc.

While I enjoyed the campaign, multiplayer was where it absolutely shined. I HOPE that they support multiplayer here. It'd be SO cool to get back into that. I'd LOVE it.

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm old enough to remember how disappointing Quake 2 was to me besides the amazing graphics. Quake 1 was incredibly atmospheric and the levels were great. I never liked the switch to Sci-Fi.

I'll pick this up and see how it is now, I'm sure I was just being an elitist and it's a good time in its own right.
I bought it day one and lied to myself, telling myself I was enjoying it, but in reality, it was really bland, and the weapons sucked balls. The level design was also much inferior to Q1‘s medieval fantasy setting.

drotahorror

Unless it's a complete remake, this is not exciting at all. Most people that wanted to play the original Quake 2, have already done so in HD/60+ with mouse/kb support, even controller.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Should be free on PC.

Also Quake 4 (GoG key) will be given away to Prime members this month. So be on the lookout if you’re interested, and don’t have it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I don't know what it was, but the game felt absolutely amazing compared to anything before it. At least from my perspective..

The sound production was what got me. The music was fucking badass and the guns sounded and felt so damn good.

Romulus

I'm old enough to remember how disappointing Quake 2 was to me besides the amazing graphics. Quake 1 was incredibly atmospheric and the levels were great. I never liked the switch to Sci-Fi.

I'll pick this up and see how it is now, I'm sure I was just being an elitist and it's a good time in its own right.

I felt the exact opposite outside of the graphics. I thought quake 2 was more fun and a better game.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Memories of Glide API and seeing transparent water for the first time.......good times.

edit: that was actually the first quake, but still....
Quake 2 was the first game I played after I got a Voodoo 2. I had already been playing with software renderer. Switching to hardware acceleration was a big “holy shit” moment.

I’ve been a snobby PC elitist ever since.

MiguelItUp

Quake 2 was the first game I played after I got a Voodoo 2. I had already been playing with software renderer. Switching to hardware acceleration was a big “holy shit” moment.

I’ve been a snobby PC elitist ever since.
I'll never forget when I got my first GPU...
image.raw

First thing I did was load up Q2, go from software to Open GL, and loaded up Q2DM1. Just staring with an open mouth while I shot rockets down hallways, lol.

All I heard about Quake 4 were complaints about the multiplayer. How was the campaign?
Outside of the Stroggification scene (best part), Quake 4 is fine and fun enough to finish. But for me it wasn't super memorable.

Last edited:

Danknugz

quake2 was always known for the multiplayer and the single player was more of an after thought, opposite of quake 1. it was the direction iD was headed, as quake3 had no campaign at all.

Fuz

Banned
The greatest multiplayer game of all time, with the greatest map of all time.

There's a very high chance that they fuck it up its mechanics (double jump, circle strafe jumping and the likes) if they modernize too much, though.

If they don't fuck it up they'll make me happy. I know they're gonna make me furious.

Great back when it came out, though I'd say "good not great" when playing it these days. Can't say a remaster is super exciting or anything but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Ditto. Q1 blew me away. Q2 seemed out of place and just odd. Q3A had fuckin legs, though.

Top Bottom