• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queen Elizabeth caught doing the Hitler salute like 100 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexMogil

Yup.
wqYQlej.jpg

Mein Kampf released in 1925

Well to be fair look how big that book is.

kmag

Jesus, just read the BBC article about it. I knew Edward VIII was a Nazi loving shit but I didn't realise he visited Germany in '37 and tried to organise a peace favourable to the Nazis, and visited a freaking concentration camp in the process.

Really wouldn't be surprised if the whole Wallis Simpsom thing was a cover and he was forced to abdicate because of his views. We founded an entire religion once so the King could marry who he wanted.

Plenty of rumours about his brother as well, who as king sent his private secretary a letter with orders to tell the Foreign Secretary that he was glad that Jews were getting stopped from going to Palestine.

From the Guardian:

Support for appeasement of Hitler was common among the British establishment during the 1930s. Conservative MPs who publicly opposed the policy, such as Winston Churchill, were threatened with de-selection.

The historian Andrew Roberts believes that Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain's appeasement policy 'commended itself to the royal family on a number of levels. It was, correctly, considered axiomatic that another war would spell doom for the British Empire.'

Some documents from the period have already entered the public domain, giving an indication of the royal couple's views. In the spring of 1939 George VI instructed his private secretary to write to Foreign Secretary Lord Halifax. Having learnt that 'a number of Jewish refugees from different countries were surreptitiously getting into Palestine', the King was 'glad to think that steps are being taken to prevent these people leaving their country of origin.' Halifax's office telegraphed Britain's ambassador in Berlin asking him to encourage the German government 'to check the unauthorised emigration' of Jews.

Cambridge University's library still holds correspondence between members of the royal household and Tory Minister Sir Samuel Hoare, a leading appeaser. Key documents remain 'unavailable'.

Chariot

She was just a kid back then. Sure its bad, but you can't hold that over her.
Yeah, you know what recent research found out? Hitler used to be a kid too, not so long before he turned into a crazy mass murderer. It's a slipperly slope from being a seemingly innocent kid to a facist dictator. In fact, every facist used to be a child. Think about that for a minute.

Not just them. Daily Mail was Nazi propaganda back in 1933. They along with Daily Mirror supported fascists.

Lord Rothemere (owner of both papers at the time): "The minor misdeeds of individual Nazis would be submerged by the immense benefits the new regime is already bestowing upon Germany."

lx5ETUz.jpg

Rothermere_-_Hurrah_for_the_Blackshirts.jpg

Nationalism! Partially responcibile for both World Wars.

Oriel

Who cares? I'm more angry by the fact parasitical monarchies still exist in this, the 21st century. Thank Christ I live in a republic.

Gawge

This just in:

Nazi's were alright until 1939.

Seriously though, not sure why there is a rush to try and dismiss this. Sure, she was a kid, but this is another example of the fascism and weirdness that is endemic within the royals.

injurai

Banned
Well, mostly by fascists. Overwhelmingly by that time.

Not that a little child can be blamed for that. That her family were fascists or at least sympathisers should not be overlooked because of that, though.

Fascism was one of the political experiements of that time and a lot of people were leaning into it. So it's no wonder "by that time" it was becoming more and more used by fascists. That doesn't mean all of these people subscribed to the same for of fascism as Hitler pushed, nor all the other eugenic beliefs.

Roman culture had long been influencing Europe, so you're point that it fascism was just "trending by those times" is a pretty moot point. It was a ubiquitous sight during the Nepoleonic age of France.

ZF6BJIy.jpg

Oriel

This just in:

Seriously though, not sure why there is a rush to try and dismiss this. Sure, she was a kid, but this is another example of the fascism and weirdness that is endemic within the royals.

It's endemic in all royals. Blame such psychosis on rampant incest and inbreeding.

hadareud

The Translator
Fascism was one of the political experiements of that time and a lot of people were leaning into it. So it's no wonder "by that time" it was becoming more and more used by fascists. That doesn't mean all of these people subscribed to the same for of fascism as Hitler pushed, nor all the other eugenic beliefs.

Roman culture had long been influencing Europe, so you're point that it fascism was just "trending by those times" is a pretty moot point. It was a ubiquitous sight during the Nepoleonic age of France.

ZF6BJIy.jpg

It's nice that you're trying to give us a history lesson, but I think we can be fairly certain that they were neither hailing Caesar nor Napoleon in 1933.

I'm not going to go into the suggestion that it's ok because a lot of people were fascists and that they couldn't possibly know what it stood for/how it turned out, because that's just ridiculous.

Koomaster

Props to the article headline that actually made me laugh because I love horrible puns so much. But yeah the whole story is complete trash.

injurai

Banned
It's nice that you're trying to give us a history lesson, but I think we can be fairly certain that they were neither hailing Caesar nor Napoleon in 1933.

I'm not going to go into the suggestion that it's ok because a lot of people were fascists and that they couldn't possibly know what it stood for/how it turned out, because that's just ridiculous.

Do you know who they are hailing, what doctrine they are hailing. It's 1933 and they are showing their daughter a very common salute for the time even apart from fascism. What's rediculous is trying to say this act is conveying something stronger than it really is. I'm not say it isn't I'm trying to paint a notion that this is not necessarily as malicious as what it's being made out to be. Even if it was upholding the faschist experiment, fascism was so heavily mixed with nationalism that I would not be suprised seeing the royal family co-opt it part in parcel.

I'm not saying it's one way or the other, but I am saying you can't just say they know. Of course this act strengthens the over influence of a idealogy even beyond what they may intend.

PJV3

This just in:

Normally the British love stuff from this period, all of a sudden it's off limits. odd.
We just need a few of old Churchill's racist quotes and we can party.

phaze

Plenty of rumours about his brother as well, who as king sent his private secretary a letter with orders to tell the Foreign Secretary that he was glad that Jews were getting stopped from going to Palestine.

From the Guardian:

Not surprising as the Jewish emigration there fueled ethnic tension in British controled territory. That hardly makes him a nazi.

Mesousa

Banned
It seems she inherited her bad parenting from her own parents then. Her son sleeping with another mans wife while married too himself. Her grandsons dressing up like Nazis and calling ethnic minorities "sooty".

Sch1sm

Queen Elizinazi. Nah. Kids are young and impressionable enough when it's family. Really funny they went this far back to run a story, either way.

Time Magazine's Man of the Year in 1938?
This guy:
w583h583_737965-hitler-time-magazine-man-of-the-year.jpg

Least he didn't kill 6 million Jewish people at that point, right? He was a charismatic enough for the title.

Walpurgis

Banned
WTF at that newspaper cover. It's like something out of a TV show. Looks like the Sun is even worse in the U.K. than it is in Canada.
Least he didn't kill 6 million Jewish people at that point, right? He was a charismatic enough for the title.
I believe he was already rounding up Jews at that point and he was obviously super racist. They wouldn't have given him the award if he didn't share the values of Time magazine and its readership.

Fritz

Queen Elizinazi. Nah. Kids are young and impressionable enough when it's family. Really funny they went this far back to run a story, either way.

Terror began in 1933 though.

jerry113

Banned
The Bellamy salute used to be performed by schoolchildren in the United States for the Pledge of Allegiance until WW2 and the Nazis happened.

Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_American_flag_with_the_Bellamy_salute.jpg

Children performing the Bellamy salute to the flag of the United States.

The hand-over-heart stance was adopted in 1942 in the US after the Nazis ruined it for everyone.

Like the Swastika, the Nazis hijacked the Bellamy salute and changed its meaning for all of history afterwards.

Sources: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/22/opinion/greene-pledge-of-allegiance-salute/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellamy_salute

So really, who cares if this child did the salute in 1933. Millions of American children were performing the salute every morning too.

The Bellamy salute used to be performed by schoolchildren in the United States for the Pledge of Allegiance until WW2 and the Nazis happened.

Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_American_flag_with_the_Bellamy_salute.jpg

The hand-over-heart stance was adopted in 1942 in the US after the Nazis ruined it for everyone.

Like the Swastika, the Nazis hijacked the Bellamy salute and changed its meaning for all of history afterwards.

Sources: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/22/opinion/greene-pledge-of-allegiance-salute/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellamy_salute

So really, who cares if this child did the salute in 1933. Millions of American children were performing the salute every morning too.

I actually remember doing this in the early-mid 80s in school during the pledge. It's possible I'm misremembering.. Anyone else? This would have been in a suburb of Atlanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom