• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R. Mika's popularity in Street Fighter is baffling

Yokai

I know that she's a wrestler, and I know that wrestling girls are supposed to be exploitative, but that doesn't make it any less exploitative.

Uh what? I mean, street fighter is entirely made out of stereotypes and extreme characters.

Also, the butt slam seems like an actual wrestling move and it's not exclusive to women in the series. Hugo also has a butt slam and there wasn't that many complaints. It's a double standard to say R Mika's is sexy and Hugo's isn't...

I don't think you can get dizzy for 20+ seconds tho'.

You don't need to charge it all the way. And, by the time they're dizzy, they won't have full health anyways. Maybe charge it to level one or two, depending on the circumstances (How far away are you? How many hits in the combo so far? How much meter do you have?).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hugo also has a butt slam and there wasn't that many complaints. It's a double standard to say R Mika's is sexy and Hugo's isn't...
Lol, it's not a double standard at all. Ridiculous

The alt costumes look amazing. Chun Li, Ryu and Bison have never looked better imo.

Still holding out hope for something better for Mika, but not to the opposite extreme:

Z95V2Mp.jpg

R. Burka alternate costume CONFIRMED. Neogaf Pre-Order Exclusive Only.

KingBroly

Banned
1. Knock opponent dizzy.

2. Cut promo full screen.

3. Grab them after they shake out and try to stop you.

4. Count EVO money.

You MIGHT be able to get a Level 2 promo with a Dizzy. Even then you'd probably cut it close.

Not sure how long the effect lasts, or if it carries over between rounds. Probably should.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
She's okay I guess. She has some dope moves but for me if she's in or not it doesn't matter.

But I WILL say I'd actually like her more if she didn't wear what she wears though, the whole "sexy female fighter" thing got old for me a looong time ago. This is why a lot of my favorite female fighters are people like Asuka Kazama or Makoto. They don't need to rely partially or wholly on sex appeal....they are decently clothed and still kick plenty ass with personality to boot and can still be appealing.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The alt costumes look amazing. Chun Li, Ryu and Bison have never looked better imo.

Still holding out hope for something better for Mika, but not to the opposite extreme:

Z95V2Mp.jpg
hahaha, missed that one!

But really, I'm eager to see her alt costumes. Never been a fan of her main :(

kunonabi

You MIGHT be able to get a Level 2 promo with a Dizzy. Even then you'd probably cut it close.

Not sure how long the effect lasts, or if it carries over between rounds. Probably should.

Do we know how long it takes for the delayed Nadeshiko attacks to come out? I mean dizzy full screen > Call nadeshiko > Start promo > Opponent wakes up > Opponent rushes in > Nadeshiko knocks them back down or forces them to block seems to be the best bet for getting the most time out of the promo. The full 20 seconds still seems unlikely though.

Gbraga

Do we know how long it takes for the delayed Nadeshiko attacks to come out? I mean dizzy full screen > Call nadeshiko > Start promo > Opponent wakes up > Opponent rushes in > Nadeshiko knocks them back down or forces them to block seems to be the best bet for getting the most time out of the promo. The full 20 seconds still seems unlikely though.

If you can call her during the promo, then shit gets interesting.

It's a "2-3 second delay" according to gootecks: https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFigh...uys_gootecks_here_to_give_you_the_rundown_on/

ugh, there's a tell for whether or not nadeshiko is doing the delayed version. typical Capcom stupidity I should have expected.

It's already a directional mix-up. It doesn't need to be a mix-up in a mix-up.

SF5 is trying to be a more "solid fundamentals" type of game, so super gimmicky, guessing stuff isn't really appropriate.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...fighter-5s-r-mika-might-be-force-women-games/

Read an article from a feminist defending her character, and I'm just at a loss.

Never mind the fact that she was terrible and unfun in Alpha 3 (one of the weakest characters in the game for those who haven't played), but isn't she a little transparent to anyone? I mean, she's basically like a woman from a Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur game shoved into Street Fighter. I know that she's a wrestler, and I know that wrestling girls are supposed to be exploitative, but that doesn't make it any less exploitative.

She's a character designed from the ground up to appeal to the male gaze, which is where most of her support from over the years has come from. Almost no one who wanted this character back over the years was hyped about her moveset, they mostly just talked about her ass, but when you tell them as much they try to argue what a well thought out character she is.

I don't mind scantily clad characters in video games, but let's not act like Mika is anything more than transparent fan-service. No one playing Soul Calibur is pretending Ivy is anything more than she appears, so the same should apply here. Mika is just another E cupped, huge hipped, tiny-waisted fighting game girl, so the support she is getting from people who normally come down on that sort of thing is confusing.

I mean, she literally has a move where she and her equally busty friend smother her opponent with their asses as an attack, it's so out of place. It's like something out of a harem anime, but nope it's in Street Fighter, and apparently everyone loves it.

Whats wrong with making a male gaze character? Can a half naked woman not be an empowered woman? Why can't female characters have humorous moves in a game (male ones often do)? Are you the puritan police?

Have you seen the way female professional wrestlers dress?

I can understand women wanting to have OPTIONS that are not oversexualized and I believe they should get their female gaze characters too but, why does every character have to be "PC" for lack of a better term?

PS. I think she looks ridiculous and is completely oversexualized but then I like campy oversexualization to begin with.

I don't mind scantily clad characters in video games, but let's not act like Mika is anything more than transparent fan-service. No one playing Soul Calibur is pretending Ivy is anything more than she appears, so the same should apply here. Mika is just another E cupped, huge hipped, tiny-waisted fighting game girl, so the support she is getting from people who normally come down on that sort of thing is confusing.

I loved Ivy in SC1 before they turned her into an inflatable doll. I still hate Namco for that. She had an incredibly unique weapon and fighting style.

I also kind of liked Rainbow Mika in Alpha 3, having a female wrestler was quite a novelty. I agree they've gone full retard with her sexualization in V.

It's kind of sad in an ironic way that whoever pushed those changes had an identical mindset to you: "fans only like them because of T&A".

Does the direction really matter though? Isn't it just back to block both of them? Is the one from above even an overhead?

I don't know the hit properties, but according to Gootecks, the up-version is an anti-air meaning you can't jump. The others seem jumpable, but they seem to hit at different times depending on screen location...so the hit times are probably different and harder to react to. With all these different timings and the threat of command grabs, I don't think just holding back is going to save you from potentially taking a lot of damage.

It would probably be even worse if you couldn't tell the difference between fast and delayed. We'd be getting into Fuerte territory...

I loved Ivy in SC1 before they turned her into an inflatable doll. I still hate Namco for that. She had an incredibly unique weapon and fighting style.

Ivy debuted in SC1 looking like a dominatrix. Sexy was always her thing.

BTW, she STILL has a unique weapon and fighting style. Breasts don't magically erase those.

kunonabi

I don't know the hit properties, but according to Gootecks, the up-version is an anti-air meaning you can't jump. The others seem jumpable, but they seem to hit at different times depending on screen location...so the hit times are probably different and harder to react to. With all these different timings and the threat of command grabs, I don't think just holding back is going to save you from potentially taking a lot of damage.

It would probably be even worse if you couldn't tell the difference between fast and delayed. We'd be getting into Fuerte territory...

If the differences in timing are distinct enough between the three directions then it isn't so bad.

PtM

Banned
Whats wrong with making a male gaze character? Can a half naked woman not be an empowered woman? Why can't female characters have humorous moves in a game (male ones often do)? Are you the puritan police?
"All cannons fire!"
Have you seen the way female professional wrestlers dress?
Guy addressed that.

Kenstar

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...fighter-5s-r-mika-might-be-force-women-games/

She's a character designed from the ground up to appeal to the male gaze, which is where most of her support from over the years has come from. Almost no one who wanted this character back over the years was hyped about her moveset, they mostly just talked about her ass, but when you tell them as much they try to argue what a well thought out character she is.
1438568674643.gif

First 3 pages of the reveal:
Hell YES.

She is an awful design, but I have always wanted them to revist her

Well, damn. That's a cool throwback.

Wow, it actually happened. Cool.

at least they got rid of the stupid hearts on her boobs

Hooray!

The worst designed Street Fighter character that I inexplicably enjoy.

God damn she looks awesome with those assist calls and throws.

God that fucking Critical Art

Still as hilariously over the top as ever

I have found my main.

Lol her critical art has me dying.

Holy shit at the tag moves! Man, I'm loving this!

So her V-Trigger is some kind of Tag Team thingie? Amazing.
I didn't really care about Mika but this trailer sure changed it.

We have stunners

KAFAOSQ.gif

wow, she looks horrendous

perfect

Ono bringing the hype!

OMG she looks so much fun to play! Found my new main! :D

Yooooo her tag team moves are nuts!

lmao @ the stunner

Still don't care for her design, but she looks fun as hell.

Yeah look at all these thirsty lonely sex-deprived weaboos amirite
Why else would you like a female character other for anything other than her body (the only thing that matters right fellas lol)

Some people posting assslap.webm don't speak for everyone you know, if you judge by a subset of vocal fans online then you'd never let your kids watch Lazytown after seeing some of the shit people posted of that lead girl.

poodaddy

This is the main reason i think ppl get mad honestly its ok to not like a design or a character(example: i hate chopper from one piece but i dont go around saying why do u guys like him? Oda needs to get rid of him)people like different things jus because u dont like him/her doesn't mean they aren't popular

You're right I could of worded that better and I apologize. What someone likes is no business or concern of mine and I have no right to question it. I should of said, I think she's a garbage KOF concept art reject that I hope we never see again. But if you like her that's cool too.

JackelZXA

For me, I like this version of r.mika because I understand her. Everything about her design seems set in who her personality is. I still can't figure out why Cammy pulls her G-string up further than what would be comfortable leg-flexibility. It's TOO skimpy and would cause OTHER problems... (Also she seems unaware of it) Without the leg paint it's way more obvious how randomly naked she is.

tldr: I think Cammy is a sexist design, even though she's my favorite character to play and I like her "look". (I always felt her design would look way cooler with green leggings like that girl on her squad has in her ending. Maybe give it the camo treatment, too) But then with R.Mika I think she is a sexy design that makes sense and is more of a complete character. (Which is funny because R.Mika felt trashy and lame in Alpha 3)

Ivy debuted in SC1 looking like a dominatrix. Sexy was always her thing.

"Sexy" and "inflatable sex doll" are two very different things:

Furthermore, this was her 2p costume (the one I mostly used):

latest

BTW, she STILL has a unique weapon and fighting style. Breasts don't magically erase those.

It has the opposite of the intended effect, making me find her design and the game at large repulsive. It's also less unique after five iterations and more characters using similar weapons, of course.

Skilletor

"Sexy" and "inflatable sex doll" are two very different things:
Furthermore, this was her 2p costume (the one I mostly used):

It has the opposite of the intended effect, making me find her design and the game at large repulsive. It's also less unique after five iterations and more characters using similar weapons, of course.

Her 2p in SC4 (the game you got that image from) was this:

Her outfit in SC5 was this:

Which I think is a pretty awesome fucking design for her character.

So, yeah, her 1p was hideous IN THAT ONE GAME, but it's not like there weren't other options.

Top Bottom