• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R. Mika's popularity in Street Fighter is baffling

jerry1594

What, "lol"? VEGA EXPLICITLY and PURPOSEFULLY THRUSTS HIS CROTCH INTO THE CAMERA. It's not an oversight. It's not some happy coincidence. Some one animated both HIM thrusting his pelvis AND the camera focusing specifically on it. The camera actually changes JUST for this moment.

Don't just dismiss it. It's there.

I'm not grasping at straws, or imagining things.
Lol, I didn't. I'm saying it's a single shot of his winpose vs pretty much all of Cammy's winpose.

Gren

Man, that some don't consider any of Sakura's moves where she flashes her bloomers as intended for male fans is kinda surprising.

I think that speaks more to my own perversions & gutter-wrought mind though, lol. Maybe after all these years of FGs I just have any eye for ass/crotch/whatever-shots.

... I haven't checked the Hot Ryu thread much since I assumed it was just everyone loving Hot Ryu like they have in this thread here.

Sounds like I need to check it out.

Man, that some don't consider any of Sakura's moves where she flashes her bloomers as intended for male fans is kinda surprising.

I think that speaks more to my own perversions & gutter-wrought mind though, lol. Maybe after all these years of FGs I just have any eye for ass/crotch/whatever-shots.

I figure most people just don't find Sakura attractive, thus never think anything of it.

Dante

I equate her slapping her butt before using a butt attack to when The Rock would slap his elbow before using it.

Whether it is a game or not, it seems in-character.

Actually wrestlers are taught to do this so fans in the nose bleeds can anticipate what's coming, It's sort of like telegraphing a move, although I don't believe GinoFelino want's to hear any of the logic behind wrestling as he's pretty much chalked it up to being racist and sexist.

Wait wait wait wait.... are there any female characters in Street Fighter that aren't designed for the Male Gaze™ on some level? Other than Sakura and Makoto, maybe?

Makoto and Rose are conservatively dressed, but people will try to argue that Rose has large breasts...and apparently, having large breasts is a no-no...even IRL.

And, during Makoto's dizzy animation in 3S, you can temporarily see her bra under her gi. So, you could argue that that is male gaze.

Karin is protected by two different layers of clothing under her skirt, one of which extending to the level of shorts, so you'd think she'd qualify. But, some people might argue that a skirt in and of itself is designed for "male gaze".

Ingrid is actually showing very little skin. But, she's just "weaboo loli fanservice". So...shrug.

I dunno...the term "Male gaze" can be interpreted to mean anything and everything even remotely attractive.

... I haven't checked the Hot Ryu thread much since I assumed it was just everyone loving Hot Ryu like they have in this thread here.

Sounds like I need to check it out.

I figure most people just don't find Sakura attractive, thus never think anything of it.

It's not that she isn't attractive its that her design is incredibly generic.

NEO0MJ

*snip*

I dunno...the term "Male gaze" can be interpreted to mean anything and everything even remotely attractive.

So far the only ones ringing up those characters are Mika supporters who feel they are being attacked. No else on this thread said that Makoto or Ingrid were sexulized.
Though ingrid is a terrible, terrible design and I hope she never sees the light of day again

Producer

Makoto and Rose are conservatively dressed, but people will try to argue that Rose has large breasts...and apparently, having large breasts is a no-no...even IRL.

And, during Makoto's dizzy animation in 3S, you can temporarily see her bra under her gi. So, you could argue that that is male gaze.

Karin is protected by two different layers of clothing under her skirt, one of which extending to the level of shorts, so you'd think she'd qualify. But, some people might argue that a skirt in and of itself is designed for "male gaze".

Ingrid is actually showing very little skin. But, she's just "weaboo loli fanservice". So...shrug.

Lol if you were refering to me i was being sarcastic. Ingrid isn't even a loli but i brought it up because people refer to any young female as that.

Mik317

Ok like one no one is going to homoginize anything. Two if making all the lades have practical clothing is something you genuinely fear is going to happen. Like fear, you all types of fucking delusional.

Also in what realm do any mortal kombat character look the same. Hell mk has gone out of its way for the last decade and and some change and differentiating their characters. And is also cast of weirdos as you describe. If you dont the mk art style, thats fine. But dont lie. Shit is dishonest and makes your argument look faulty as hell. I dont like sg but I would be a damned lie if i said them characters looked the same.

Lastly its not about military women, no one wants everyone to be a military lady. Dont you understand whats being discussed. Its about a female character who can fight with out having their outfit always tailored to sexual eye candy mode. Not everyone in mk is a military lady either. Folks want more variety in their female characters the same way the male ones do. Mk is a good example thats why its being mentioned.

No one said they wanted to homoginize your fighting games. Stop trying to twist the argument into that.

MKX has about 7-8 female characters. 3 are military types (Cassie, Jacci and Sonja), 3 are ninja esque females (Kitana, Tanya, and Mileena) and then there is D'Vorrah. But this is super diversity somehow? I reject that being some bastion of diversity , sorry. Its hella better than what it was before and yeah the characters are better but it really isn't that much more diverse than SFIV (can't speak for SFV because I have no clue about Laura or if Karin will be updated to please certain people)... Yeah there is Cammy, Elena and Posion..but there is also Rose,Juri, Chun Li and Viper. Then there is Sakura and Ibuki for that. Then there is Makoto. SF is a pretty fucking diverse series if MKX is going to be propped up. But no all of those characters are mushed together as male gaze for some reason tho. If I am being unfair, then so are those who hand wave away any design that doesn't prove their point. We legit had a dude argue that skirt physics was put in because of sexism....like come on.

This is my own issue...I think SF is a pretty diverse series. Can it get better? hell yeah..everything can always get better when it comes to diversity. I think Mika "could" be a step forward in that by being muscular as fuck and not being hit by the Capcom Vagina tax.

That is always my issue with this topic...I just don't feel like the right games are being singled out. I fucking love MGS but Quiet is fuckin dumb (even after finding out why...if not more so), MGS is wacky and cray but still wants us to take her and her resoning seriously...and it doesn't work. Mika is meant to be sexy and silly but it works in context and works because (space boobs bug aside) Chun Li also exists...hopefully Laura also is classy enough to keep the balance within correct, I also doubt Karin will be overly sexualized as she wasn't (not even to the level Sakura was) before....

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did Vince slap his own ass and seduce the camera beforehand? I guess context is important.

It happens.

saJf51I.jpg

sWJEBym.jpg

But he gives as good as he gets, so to speak
Z31DdET.gif

Gbraga

Someone in a Mika thread admitting that they didn't play alpha 3. Who would have thought?

I really didn't. Before the actual announcement, I was just looking at pictures and a couple of videos and thinking like "why the fuck do people want her back? this is garbage", but then the trailer came out and I finally understood.

RM8

I have literally never seen those complaints except for Rose's boobs. And those probably are directed at her alt costumes in SF4.

BTW, since they have toned up the sex factor in Chun, Cammy and Mika, I wouldn't be surprised if an older Karin becomes eye candy as well. And I'll tell you what will happen: some people will complain, and everyone will point at Ryu's "totally the same as Cammy" paid alt costume to try to shut down the discussion.

Heads up, I'm absolutely going to whine if they make Karin a fanservice character :mad:

I hope Karin gets a sexy update if she makes the SFV roster.
Unless someone had a schoolgirl fetish, I dont think they'd find much sex appeal with that red sailor suit.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hold on

you're telling me she stands there and cuts a promo and gets powered up from it?

that's

fucking

AWESOME

hold on

you're telling me she stands there and cuts a promo and gets powered up from it?

that's

fucking

AWESOME

It's her V-Skill. It powers up her throws the longer she cuts her promo. If you end if early she'll even throw the mic at her opponent which can open them up for attacks.

Coda

Why did you have to start this thread OP? Either way, you're entitled to your opinion, but it seems misguided instead of actually making a valid argument against her. Just saying you think she is oversexualized and is dumb isn't saying anything we all haven't heard before.

Why did you have to start this thread OP? Either way, you're entitled to your opinion, but it seems misguided instead of actually making a valid argument against her. Just saying you think she is oversexualized and is dumb isn't saying anything we all haven't heard before.

R. Mika is kind of like Bayonetta. Makes you question what the developers were thinking at first but then when you find out more about her you get hyped as shit.

Crayon

Aw I love how she lands on her butt after the giant swing. This character is adorable and I'm not offended. I think sf5 and sf4 before it do a great job of handling the sexuality of the characters. Male and Female. Out of a sizable female cast, only poison actively serves fish the camera or her opponent. And that's a trap hehe. Noone else seems interested in impressing or luring any man.

In mika's case, her body language and animation is accutley non-feminine or unladylike despite being tits and ass out in an obvious gesture to please male fans. Even if she looks fully objectified as a static design, she totally comes to life when you see how rough around the edges she is.

Mika's design pays homage to multiple overlapping traditions that try to cast her in a sexified mold, while busting out of that mold with a personality that's bigger than her bra. It's a great character and she's going to have more fans than ever now.

Aw I love how she lands on her butt after the giant swing. This character is adorable and I'm not offended. I think sf5 and sf4 before it do a great job of handling the sexuality of the characters. Male and Female. Out of a sizable female cast, only poison actively serves fish the camera or her opponent. And that's a trap hehe. Noone else seems interested in impressing or luring any man.

Better edit that out mi amigo.

Dai101

Banned

In mika's case, her body language and animation is accutley non-feminine or unladylike despite being tits and ass out in an obvious gesture to please male fans. Even if she looks fully objectified as a static design, she totally comes to life when you see how rough around the edges she is.

Mika's design pays homage to multiple overlapping traditions that try to cast her in a sexified mold, while busting out of that mold with a personality that's bigger than her bra. It's a great character and she's going to have more fans than ever now.

Hc6rUpR.gif

Can she stack it over different uses or does the charge level just get overridden with the highest or most recent charge? If she can stack a level here and there while playing neutral in spurts. I can see people using the higher level charges, since even if it's not max a few levels would seem like a huge threat anyways.

edit: NVM read the comments in the video. It's like Sagat's angry scar, it just refreshes to the most recent one you used.

I don't think you can get dizzy for 20+ seconds tho'.

I think with how much scaling that usually happens after a dizzy in a combo (unless you managed to dizzy them with a single hit or something), it might just better to stock it up a level or maybe 2. I wonder how much damage increase it is but usually if you get a stun they are 3/4 of the way to death, so I dunno if it's strong enough at that level to take you the rest of the way. Though giving up position to do this might just too much unless you really want to get them with this.

I also wonder if you can time a command grab right before they shake out of stun. Since command grabs seem to be made slower than say, Gief's spd, if you somehow time the grab a few frames right before they shake out, you get a command grab (unless they mash something throw invincible on the first frame they are out). But doing this would be the hardest read and you basically have to guess when they randomly shake out haha.

Top Bottom