• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R. Mika's popularity in Street Fighter is baffling

Kikujiro

Why some people can't understand that some things are just meant to be fun and nothing more? SF has never been a super serious series, it's full of crazy or silly or goofy characters. R. Mika is fun and sexy, I personally don't liker her attire, but women like her because she's not a poor and vulnerable lady in need of help, she's an exagerrated version of a female wrestler (you can google female wrestlers and see for yourself how eye-candy their attires are, just like the men), strong and confident, who can beat anyone.
How is an ass attack out of place when it's based on a real wrestling move (if you don't know wrestling is full of comedy, check Kenny Omega vs a 9 year old kid) and how is it out of place in freaking Street Fighter, did you see Birdie's jump rope critical art? Or Hakan's moveset?

Making a female character with big breasts and a big ass isn't sexist, wearing a female character like a whore and act like there's a super serious reason for it is (see Quiet in MGSV). R. Mika is as exploitative as Ryu's new costume.

You sound like the kind of person who likes to tell people how a woman should look and dress.

She's in that Bayonetta zone where while a lot of her character is clearly designed to appeal to men she's also likable enough outside of those traits that she can appeal to women as well.

Here come the "guys present unrealistic standards too!" posts.
I would say that R. Mika's design isn't any more idealized/"unrealistic" than a lot of the male characters.

That is not a tiny waist by any means. She has large proportions overall and that waist is by no means unreasonable. Even from that funky back angle you can see it matches the slope of her hips fine.

I feel like women with big butts are getting the short end of the stick here. x_x

Yeah, I always feel like it's kind of insulting to women who do have those proportions (or close to them, anyway) when people point at an attractive fictional character (or real person!) and say "real women don't look like that."

I can't play a character I don't like. I know that sounds pretty lame to seasoned FG players but it's the truth. The perfect mixture of personality and gameplay is what gets me to main people.

Back in SFIV I played as Rufus and Adon because I loved their personalities AND their playstyles. Since they're likely not coming back, I've been pretty down about SFV tbh.

In SFV, I like Chun Li and Vega as characters, but I'm not a fan of their movesets as they are a little too defensive for my tastes. Birdie seems like the only kind of character that fits the mold of someone I'd enjoy playing as. If I sounded salty in the OP, that's probably because I am. I loved SFIV, and it feels like I'm gonna be left in the dust for this game. It's petty I know, but it's a frustrating feeling since everyone around me is celebrating so hard.

Chun is better on aggression, though! AFAIK, at least.

SephLuis

I never cared about R. Mika in SFA. I thought she was a fun and goofy character, but never got around to play her.

Now in SF V, her moveset looks great with plenty of options. So, why exactly is a bad thing that she returned ?

Chun is better on aggression, though! AFAIK, at least.

In V-Skill mode, sure. But she is lacking a lot of options to be truly aggresive/rushdown.

I guess Ken will take this spot.

She's an adorable Japanese wrestler, thought it was pretty simple.

latest

Warxard

Banned
No one playing Soul Calibur is pretending Ivy is anything more than she appears, so the same should apply here. Mika is just another E cupped, huge hipped, tiny-waisted fighting game girl, so the support she is getting from people who normally come down on that sort of thing is confusing.

First of all Ivy is a really good character in regards to her story, so you lost me with that statement.

Not to mention Mika is totally in charge of her sexuality and actually uses it as a boon when fighting.

Dante

I'd say her and Karin (that ones baffling to me) are the most requested fighters in the roster thread. Going by the responses their she is quite popular and after seeing some videos she looks really fun to play.

I played her.

People keep bitching about sf2 characters coming back, then say stupid shit when less popular characters get another chance.

The character was unpopular because she wasn't fun or appealing to play, it's not any more complicated than that. Street Fighter isn't so devoid of ideas that we're desperate enough to re-imagine R.Mika as a cool SF character.

There are Marines on this base at various gyms that have bodies just like her's. I mean exactly like her's. And they are freakin strong. There are HITT gym instructors that have the same physique. I guess she just looks normal to me because of the environment I work in.
Well there you go, actual women look like her.

Hopeford

How come no one is bringing up this sexy ass beast. You ask me, I think some people had heart attacks when they saw this specimen today. He's showing more skin than she is.

bc809d75800668f4484296d310b7779e.jpg

Ryu should be neither be allowed to shave nor wear a shirt for the rest of ever. Like, damn that's an awesome design for him and makes me compelled not to skip gym today.

HardRojo

I wasn't really cheering for her to be included in SFV but after seeing her moveset in the reveal trailer... GODDAMN! She looks amazing from a gameplay standpoint.

Heroman

Banned
I know that she's a wrestler, and I know that wrestling girls are supposed to be exploitative, but that doesn't make it any less exploitative.

I mean, she literally has a move where she and her equally busty friend smother her opponent with their asses as an attack, it's so out of place. It's like something out of a harem anime, but nope it's in Street Fighter, and apparently everyone loves it.

Using your ass a weapon is a pro wrestling tradition
tumblr_nhrhkg95bq1snhdpvo5_250.gif

Axass

She looks weird and unreal, which is great. I hate homogenization and I don't like the "everything has to be realistic" cult.

Skilletor

The character was unpopular because she wasn't fun or appealing to play, it's not any more complicated than that. Street Fighter isn't so devoid of ideas that we're desperate enough to re-imagine R.Mika as a cool SF character.

Whatever you say, chief. Doesn't matter to me since I have Mika I'm sf5. /shrug

The only thing out of place on Mika is the thong.

Otherwise she's dressed exactly like actual female wrestlers.

Nothing out of place in a fantasy character in a video game.

I'm so tired of crying of feminist and white knights repressed when a woman appears with big tits in a video game. I do not mean for you.

But when a man goes shirtless or in loincloths full of muscles nothing happens.

Some have a severe problem, if it bothers see a nice pair of tits or a muscular guy in a videogame.

Momentary

Banned
Ryu should be neither be allowed to shave nor wear a shirt for the rest of ever. Like, damn that's an awesome design for him and makes me compelled not to skip gym today.

Damn right. I'm gonna be hitting it hard today. I wish I had a gym shirt with his beardedness on there too.

I mean if we're talking about popularity polls Q is confirmed right?

Q is popular? Maybe in the West. If people were to get in on popularity it would probably be Karin or Juri.

edit: huh looks like Q is actually rather popular according to this and Karin beat fucking Ryu in the JP poll, would be shocked if she isn't in

Lulubop

I'd say her and Karin (that ones baffling to me) are the most requested fighters in the roster thread. Going by the responses their she is quite popular and after seeing some videos she looks really fun to play.

Alex and Karin, if we're talking about characters that didn't make the cut for 4.

pablito

I wouldn't call myself an R Mika fan, but she's goofy and I like it. I also love me some Skullomania. And her moves look pretty good this time around.

Kei-

latest

Enormous breasts, huge ass, but itty bitty waist. Doesn't look like anything resembling an actual woman, but if she were proportioned logically she would lose what drew most of her fans to her in the first place.

Here come the "guys present unrealistic standards too!" posts.

Lol wth, you're actually body shaming...not sure if you realise it. That body type exists, and it's not even rare.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
She's showing the same amount of ass as Cammy, and same amount of cleavage as, say, C. Viper. At least she's a female wrestler, so her attire is a lot more justified.

She also has the biggest female body frame in the game, so the design and her mannerism doesn't portray any stereotypical weekness/helplessness.

I don't understand the hate for r mika..

She is a pro wrestler.

She is a joke character.

We're people asking el fuerte to put a shirt on and stop putting his legs around people faces?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
gonna go out on a limb and say it's not so much about people wanting to bury their face in Mika's fictional gentials but rather that they like seeing characters return after a long time

Vice

Wrestling is pretty much about finding the biggest gimmick possible and running with it. Mika looks like a hyper-gimmicky Diva or female Japanese wrestler.

As far as her being popular goes, ever Street Fighter character has a big fanbase. There are probably people who would explode with passion if Cracker Jack or Twelve was in SFV. They've been hoping to see their favorite character in a game for 20 year, they're going to talk about her alot.

gonna go out on a limb and say it's not so much about people wanting to bury their face in Mika's fictional gentials but rather that they like seeing characters return after a long time

That's also a huge part of it, R. Mika hasn't shown up since Alpha 3 (her only game!) and has been popular ever since, you would see the same reactions for Q or Karin.

zhixson

Beautiful, just beautiful.

I swear this game is doing everything right visually. It's amazing. They had me at insta-buy with Mika's glorious curvy reveal and hilarious gameplay, but beardRyu has me going a little wild and having confusing thoughts. I hope Urien makes it in too 'cause I'm sure he'll be a damn trip. He had better walk into the stage casually in a swank suit and burn it off again revealing his badass nudity.

Top Bottom