• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R. Mika's popularity in Street Fighter is baffling

t_wilson01

I view R. Mika as having a well developed body, the face and personality of a little girl with zero sex appeal. Just look at her fighting pose and walking animation.

On the other hand, Poison (she's always been female to me), Rose and now Chun Li (finally!) are sexy looking characters.

Lulubop

I hope you respect that we like big tits and wrestling.

KbzOTj7.gif

I could masturbate furiously with the gif. Than you CAPCOM.

chill bro

Smo21

I love the goofiness when she runs after a round and she represents a different body type for street fighter being thicker than most the other main stays.

Warxard

Banned
What's with this belief that sexualized characters can't be interesting from a story perspective? Why is that baffling to believe that they can be both?

Platy

The weirdest thing about "wrestlers are sexualized therefore mika HAS to be sexualized" it is that her partner has a totaly common wrestling suit.

Also, a counterpoint article

http://www.themarysue.com/rainbow-mika-sfv/

[...]I’d still love to see R. Mika in a sports bra, because owwww, but I know that her painful boob-bouncing appearance is being presented as part of the “fantasy” sold here (sigh) and, as I’ve said, this is far from the first time I’ve seen a woman presented as a sex object rather than as a character with a personality and a sense of humor and agency and, yes, sexuality, but without it being presented as either a joke or a “fantasy” or somehow both (sigh). Much like Juliet in Lollipop Chainsaw, I don’t want R. Mika to be presented as a hyper-femme character whose femininity is the joke; I love that she’s a goofball, but I don’t want the joke to be on her. I’m reserving a little hope, because I actually dig the core concept, but I’m just not sure where it’ll end up.[...]

Village

Wow I completely forgot about her.
Remember galactus's totally canon moe daughter

this thread went about as far as it can go ya'll
We gotta shut it down
I like your attitude
I can't stop mika from existing, nor do I want to. You like her, im not conspiring to take your joy away. Im not fond of her, but im not going to extreme.

That said my issue with mika, besides her looking all types of stupid. Is that dont really have options for " no i can be a cool girl with clothes". I respect MK for running back and just doing that.

Cammy's alt in 5 should have pants.

entremet

She's really not that popular. She's surely no Ryu or Ken.

The fans she has, which I include myself because I adore Alpha 3 and love her zany fighting style, are excited about her finally reappearing in the series.

How many female grapplers does the SF have? Not much.

She looks gaudy, I get it and that's a fair criticism, but we're not rejoicing because of that. We can finally play as her again in a contemporary SF.

Much of the assessment here has been totally off base.

Vex_

Banned
Edit whoops

Anywhoo, Naruto Super Mika in streetfighter is hilarious. Especially dat slide she does in her CA.

Dereck

That said my issue with mika, besides her looking all types of stupid. Is that dont really have options for " no i can be a cool girl with clothes". I respect MK for running back and just doing that.

Cammy's alt in 5 should have pants.
Ayyy, real recognize real

dQWzFBU.png

Shoutouts to Mileena, Kitana, Cassie and Sonya having excellent designs and keeping their clothes on.

Hex

Banned
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...fighter-5s-r-mika-might-be-force-women-games/

Read an article from a feminist defending her character, and I'm just at a loss.

Never mind the fact that she was terrible and unfun in Alpha 3 (one of the weakest characters in the game for those who haven't played), but isn't she a little transparent to anyone? I mean, she's basically like a woman from a Dead or Alive or Soul Calibur game shoved into Street Fighter. I know that she's a wrestler, and I know that wrestling girls are supposed to be exploitative, but that doesn't make it any less exploitative.

She's a character designed from the ground up to appeal to the male gaze, which is where most of her support from over the years has come from. Almost no one who wanted this character back over the years was hyped about her moveset, they mostly just talked about her ass, but when you tell them as much they try to argue what a well thought out character she is.

I don't mind scantily clad characters in video games, but let's not act like Mika is anything more than transparent fan-service. No one playing Soul Calibur is pretending Ivy is anything more than she appears, so the same should apply here. Mika is just another E cupped, huge hipped, tiny-waisted fighting game girl, so the support she is getting from people who normally come down on that sort of thing is confusing.

I mean, she literally has a move where she and her equally busty friend smother her opponent with their asses as an attack, it's so out of place. It's like something out of a harem anime, but nope it's in Street Fighter, and apparently everyone loves it.

OP does not like the character or is offended and tries to invent facts.
People DID want her, for years for SF IV and SF V and other games her name came up when people discussed characters that they wanted.
While OP can not get past the cosmetic appearance there is a fun moveset combining comedy and a good wrestling move set.
Thank you OP for a prime example of bias at work.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno. I've never really cared for R. Mika, but that article made me appreciate her more to be honest.

These are individual opinions, of course, and should not be taken as the general opinion of all female gamers.

And... that's basically the end of the discussion. Some people will dig her, some people won't. People jump at designs like hers because scantily-clad, voluptuous women are a hot button topic in games today. But just because people question the designs doesn't mean they're inherently wrong or offensive.

R. Mika (like the majority of the cast in some way or another) is pretty cheesy. I don't think Street Fighter is supposed to be taken that seriously outside of its potential for competetive play. It's not a case of her "having to be sexualised"... she just is. Some people like it, some don't, regardless of gender.

The counterpoint article above just shows there will always be people on either side of the fence, and also that opinion can often simply come down to one's personal projections onto a certain character.

CLEEK

She's really not that popular. She's surely no Ryu or Ken.

The fans she has, which I include myself because I adore Alpha 3 and love her zany fighting style, are excited about her finally reappearing in the series.

How many female grapplers does the SF have? Not much.

She looks gaudy, I get it and that's a fair criticism, but we're not rejoicing because of that. We can finally play as her again in a contemporary SF.

Much of the assessment here has been totally off base.

She ranked highly in the Capcom poll from a couple of years ago. It's especially impressive when you think that at the time of the poll, she'd only appeared in a singe SF game.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...-fighter-favorite-characters-popularity-poll/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How come no one is bringing up this sexy ass beast. You ask me, I think some people had heart attacks when they saw this specimen today. He's showing more skin than she is.

bc809d75800668f4484296d310b7779e.jpg

What is this amazingness? They showing alts now?

Village

She ranked highly in the Capcom poll from a couple of years ago. It's especially impressive when you think that at the time of the poll, she'd only appeared in a singe SF game.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...-fighter-favorite-characters-popularity-poll/

There are polls where I think character popularity is reflective of the general populous for that game, I don't think street fighter, or most fighting games are those things. Alex, won a poll, alex, i like alex, but no one played sf3. Not taking what fan she has away from her I just don't think a fan poll in this sense means much of anything

There are polls where I think character popularity is reflective of the general populous for that game, I don't think street fighter, or most fighting games are those things. Alex, won a poll, alex, i like alex, but no one played sf3. Not taking what fan she has away from her I just don't think a fan poll in this sense means much of anything

Well, Capcom Japan posted a blog about her after she was announced and specifically mentioned her placement in that character poll. And they've previously mentioned that they're paying attention to it for character selection, although they aren't basing the roster solely on who people like most (as you can see by Birdie's inclusion).

Shadoken

Those polls dont really mean much. The more a fairly popular character stays away from the series the more popular they become. Karin also appeared only in one game and is no 1 on that poll in Japan. It doesnt actually mean shes a more popular character than say Ryu/Chun..etc. Just that fans really want to see her again.

Both Karin and Mika will drop once they actually get added to the game , just like Poison,Elena,Rolento.

All 3 of whom were extremely high in polls pre SFxT.

Shadoken

Nope.

In fact a lot of them aren't even really sterotypes, they are just characters or humans ripped from other things with a trope on top.

Now that I look at it , very few characters are actually "Stereotypes". A good majority of them are references or homage to some character or a martial artist. Ryu,Fei,Sagat..etc.

I mean Sagat sure as hell isnt a stereotypical thai person lmao.

Now that I look at it , very few characters are actually "Stereotypes". A good majority of them are references or homage to some character or a martial artist. Ryu,Fei,Sagat..etc.

I mean Sagat sure as hell isnt a stereotypical thai person lmao.

Sagat was a boss character so there's more creativity there.

And I don't think you get what we mean by stereotypes. It's something as simple as the clothes they are wearing. Example: it's more obvious that Guile is from the army than Nash. Nash looks like a lifeguard

Top Bottom