• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Race Your PC Thread of Benchmarking to find out who has the fastest PC on GAF!

Hawk269

ColonialRaptor said:
Exactly why not number 1 :) Because the person who is number 1 is likely to 'have it all' already anyway :p

But at this rate... I should have made it not number 4 because it's going to be a Dual 580's person anyway :p

Well, I did not thank you for the thread. It is pretty cool to have something like that on Gaf. Tell you what, I will throw in a copy of Alpha Protocol...but since you are the maker of the thread, you choose who get's it or what position they need to be in to get the game.

Hawk269 said:
Let me post my numbers and I will bump you out of #4..lol. Or I dont post my score and you send me $5.00??? lol

Haha, it's all good buddy... Post away! I enjoyed the thrill ride for a while in the limelight!

I bought my rig with the money i saved from quitting drinking (I had a problem), and indeed won Corky's contest a year ago'ish .. which gave me a ton of games to tinker with! I've already witnessed the generosity of this forum first hand, and had I won this; would have felt a bit guilty to be honest... or overly lucky.

P6154 - 1x EVGA GTX 460 2Win ( Acts as two cards SLI, but on one card) @ 700 MHz Core(x2), 1800 MHz Memory, default voltage - i7-980X 6-Core @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.44v - 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1600 - EVGA Classified X58 - Corsair H50 cooler - bluerei - Link

With a 6-core i7 and a dual core video card, figured it would be higher. Wonder what's holding it back.

Smokey

bluerei said:
P6154 - 1x EVGA GTX 460 2Win ( Acts as two cards SLI, but on one card) @ 700 MHz Core(x2), 1800 MHz Memory, default voltage - i7-980X 6-Core @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.44v - 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1600 - EVGA Classified X58 - Corsair H50 cooler - bluerei - Link

With a 6-core i7 and a dual core video card, figured it would be higher. Wonder what's holding it back.

Your CPU and RAM is fine, your speeds on your GPUs is what is holding you back. Look at the small bump I got in the OP compared to my post a few up. That was with an increase of only 17mhz increase.

Smokey said:
Your CPU and RAM is fine, your speeds on your GPUs is what is holding you back. Look at the small bump I got in the OP compared to my post a few up. That was with an increase of only 17mhz increase.

Yeah I haven't touched a thing, but I get good temps right now. Not sure the right path I should take in even adjusting anything. But right now, it handles pretty much any game at top settings, so maybe I should just leave it be?

bluerei said:
Yeah I haven't touched a thing, but I get good temps right now. Not sure the right path I should take in even adjusting anything. But right now, it handles pretty much any game at top settings, so maybe I should just leave it be?

Leave it be. This is just benchmarking - of course, you can overclock it for a benchmarking run to see what your system is capable of, and then set it back, but if you're happy with how it runs it's a good idea just to keep it how it is.

Honestly though, your cards would probably handle being put up to 750mhz without skipping a beat or having much extra heat no worries.

Smokey

bluerei said:

Yeah you're fine. Of course you can adjust it if you feel like it. You may see a gain of a few frames but that's about it.

P5461 - ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 - 700 MHz/1848 MHz - i7-930 @3.4GHz - 12GB G.Skill 9 @ 667 MHz - Gigabyte X58A-UD3R - SuperSonic1305 - Air - Link

It says my score is low comparable to other similar systems. Any ideas why?

Smokey said:
Yeah you're fine. Of course you can adjust it if you feel like it. You may see a gain of a few frames but that's about it.

I've found that overclocking your GPU when you have a single card is not worth the extra stress or even frames that it may bring... When I went crossfire however, the magnitude of the increase went up as both cards were performing better and in sync...narrowing margins and all that.. and by mathematics I saw more of a difference.

So I would say give a mild O.C. a shot it could be worth it?

SuperSonic1305 said:
P5461 - ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 - 700 MHz/1848 MHz - i7-930 @3.4GHz - 12GB G.Skill 9 @ 667 MHz - Gigabyte X58A-UD3R - SuperSonic1305 - Air - Link

It says my score is low comparable to other similar systems. Any ideas why?

Mine is also, I think it's because most people who 3DMark are heavy overclockers and benchmarkers.

Smokey said:
P11,744 - Link

This is with a very small OC from 832mhz - 849mhz on the cores.

Your Ram is running at a low speed (so Is mine I need to go into BIOS tonight I keep forgetting to set it after a reformat) that could be slightly decreasing your performance... not necessarily on this test, but for real applications?

Smokey

Johnny2Bags said:
Your Ram is running at a low speed (so Is mine I need to go into BIOS tonight I keep forgetting to set it after a reformat) that could be slightly decreasing your performance... not necessarily on this test, but for real applications?

Hmm..you're right. How do I go about fixing this?

P11,949 - 2x MSI Lightning Xtreme 580 3GB - (875mhz, 2100mhz, 1.013v) - Core i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600 - ASUS P8P67 Pro - Smokey - Corsair H70 - Link

You got me Hawk, but as you can see...I'm running at 875mhz, you're at 932. I'll try and catch ya tomorrow:p

Hawk269

ColonialRaptor said:
Could you please write out your specs in the format for the Ladder? It's a lot of work for me if I have to figure it out from that page for everyone, and / or even edit each person's thing... simply just maintaining the ladder so far has been heaps and it's only just getting started :)

Cheers dude, amazing score - puts me in slot 4 now :p

No problem, I will edit my score posst with the specs.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
P9084 - 2x HD6950 (880/1266) - 2500K @ 4.2Ghz - 8GB GSkill DDR3 @ 1333 - ASUS P8P67 PRO - Hazaro - Air - Link

Took me a while to remember tweaks to bump me over 9000. I'm pretty sure I can break 10,000. Depends how frisky I want to get.
Shame my CPU isn't as good as most.

*edit, suck it raptor

Smokey said:
Hmm..you're right. How do I go about fixing this?

You can set it in your bios ... I think advanced settings, and ram frequency 800 = 1600... Sorry I will be tweaking mine tomorrow maybe i'll slip back with more details because I can't remember the exact steps.. it's easy though.

Anyways, goodnight everyone! good luck

Jin

Score P8737 - 1 x Asus GTX 590 3GB (612Mhz, 3420Mhz, stock voltage) - i7 930 @ 3.2Ghz - 6GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz - ASUS P6X58D-E - Hadoken - Air Link

BTW I'm using the latest beta drivers from Nvidia therefore the result said my drivers are not supported.

Wag

Being that I seem to be the only one with a Tri-Crossfire 6950 (albeit unlocked to 6970) setup here I guess my results will stand out. My setup doesn't o/c well for some reason. I'll post my results later.

Wallach

P4157 - VisionTek 5850 @ 800/1050 - i5-750 @ 3.6GHz - 4GB XMS3 DDR3 @ 1333MHz - Gigabyte P55M-UD2 - Wallach - Air - Link

Fuck if I know what driver version is approved for AMD right now. I've only ever run release WHQL drivers and I don't think any driver has come up approved.

Smokey

Hadoken said:
Score P8737 - 1 x Asus GTX 590 3GB (612Mhz, 3420Mhz, stock voltage) - i7 930 @ 3.2Ghz - 6GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz - ASUS P6X58D-E - Hadoken - Air Link

BTW I'm using the latest beta drivers from Nvidia therefore the result said my drivers are not supported.

ColonialRaptor make sure you put this result under SLI.

Thoraxes

Good thing I saved this for posterity. I remember when I used to be number 1 around these parts.

IuJeY.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wallach said:
P4157 - VisionTek 5850 @ 800/1050 - i5-750 @ 3.6GHz - 4GB XMS3 DDR3 @ 1333MHz - Gigabyte P55M-UD2 - Wallach - Air - Link

Fuck if I know what driver version is approved for AMD right now. I've only ever run release WHQL drivers and I don't think any driver has come up approved.
They've always been super slow on verifying drivers.

Hawk269

Hazaro said:
P9084 - 2x HD6950 (880/1266) - 2500K @ 4.2Ghz - 8GB GSkill DDR3 @ 1333 - ASUS P8P67 PRO - Hazaro - Air - Link

Took me a while to remember tweaks to bump me over 9000. I'm pretty sure I can break 10,000. Depends how frisky I want to get.
Shame my CPU isn't as good as most.

*edit, suck it raptor

Yeah...if this thread gets more popular we may attract those people that do "suicide runs" for benchmark purposes. Some of these people are crazy though...they will OC at max, then try to get a benchmark to run just to post a high score...they dont care if it is stable or not as long as it can make a run of whatever benchmark they are running is what they are after. I mean it is neat to see the scores, but for everyday use it is not whay they run at.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hawk269 said:
Yeah...if this thread gets more popular we may attract those people that do "suicide runs" for benchmark purposes. Some of these people are crazy though...they will OC at max, then try to get a benchmark to run just to post a high score...they dont care if it is stable or not as long as it can make a run of whatever benchmark they are running is what they are after. I mean it is neat to see the scores, but for everyday use it is not whay they run at.
Yeah I used to do some of that. The old 06 tricks didn't work on 11 and my score went down and I was kind of sad.
Had an E8500 that could do 4.6Ghz+ on air. Some DDR2 667 sticks that could clock past 1000

Aligned my memory speed a bit more to match core and score went up a fair amount. Fans to max, turned off second monitor, etc, etc.
Maybe I'll do a 1.35V run, clock my RAM, and up the voltage on my 6950's. Sort of re interested in how capable my hardware actually is. Depends how much I need to pull to 10,000 I guess.

I'll only feel competitive if someone else with dual 6950's posts though.

P4790 - 1 x Asus GTX 570 1280 MB - 742 Mhz / 1900 Mhz / 1.5 V - i5 2500k @ stock Speed - 8GB @ 1600Mhz - Asus p8p67 PRO - Vulcano's assistant - Air - Link

I'm doing something wrong. Any tips?

Edit:
Scratch that one above, I am getting equal performance with the stock voltage of 1.013V

P4795 - 1 x Asus GTX 570 1280 MB - 742 Mhz / 1900 Mhz / 1.013 V - i5 2500k @ stock Speed - 8GB @ 1600Mhz - Asus p8p67 PRO - Vulcano's assistant - Air - Link

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Vulcano's assistant said:
P4790 - 1 x Asus GTX 570 1280 MB - 742 Mhz / 1900 Mhz / 1.5 V - 2500k @ stock Speed - 8GB @ 1600Mhz - Asus p8p67 PRO - Vulcano's assistant - Air - Link

I'm doing something wrong. Any tips?
CPU is not at 4.2Ghz
GPU is not overclocked 20%

That is why you are below average. Almost everyone that runs this is already at a mild overclock.

P9556 - 1x ASUS GTX 590 @ 675/1710/stock voltage - i7 950 @ 4.0ghz - 12GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1600 - Rampage Formula III - Revolutionary - Air - Link

Could do with a better processor but it gets the job done for 99% of games (GTAIV still puts up a fight). Can't wait for BF3. My PC is ready.

Edit: Had the wrong value for memory clock (put shader clock instead), and incorrect speed for RAM (recently switched to 12GB @ 1600 from 6GB @ 2000 due to stability issues). Everything is good now.

Wallach

Yeah I'm not doing any bomb runs. Just what I actually run the kit at 24/7.

This benchmark is very GPU heavy. Sign of the times I guess.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Revolutionary said:
P9556 - 1x ASUS GTX 590 @ 675/1350/stock voltage - i7 950 @ 4.0ghz - 12GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 2000 - Rampage Formula III - Revolutionary - Air - Link

Could do with a better processor but it gets the job done for 99% of games. Can't wait for BF3. My PC is ready.
Aw fuck I can't stand for this.
brb figuring out safe voltages.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
P4384 - Zotac GeForce 560 Ti - Core i5-2500K @ 3.7 MHz - 4096 MB Corsair 9 @ 667 Mhz - ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 LE - Htown - Air (Cooler Master 212) - Link

Hazaro said:
CPU is not at 4.2Ghz
GPU is not overclocked 20%

That is why you are below average. Almost everyone that runs this is already at a mild overclock.

Thanks, I might check in the other thread for guidance before overclocking.

My PC was pretty moderate 2 years ago, except for maybe the videocard! I don't even like to OC anything... Didn't expect it to do very well against these newer, brutal, machines, but here you go! :0)

P3630 - 1xSapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 - Stock (724 MHz/1024MB/Default Voltage) - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 @ 1600 - ASUS P5P43TD Pro - ArtistDude88 - Air - [Link]

Wazzim

Banned
Shouldn't physx be off for NVIDIA cards? That's what we did on another forum because it was unfair or something.

Hawk269 said:
Specs in the link are lower than what you stated you have. Might want to change your oc or your post to reflect the right speed of your GPU.

Not sure why it's coming across like that. In MSI afterburner, I'm at the higher clocks. I'm using the nvidia beta driver. Could that have something to do with it?

Hawk269

Wazzim said:
Shouldn't physx be off for NVIDIA cards? That's what we did on another forum because it was unfair or something.

I may be wrong completely, but I thought I read somewhere that 3dmark11 does not consider the physics cards for the benchmarks. Even if installed and configured, the bench does not use it. I may be wrong though...I am very tired! :)

Smokey

Here's my last update for the night. I changed my RAM to reflect 1600mhz (thanks Johnny2Bags), and it's showing correct as 800mhz in CPU-Z, however 3DMark still shows it as 600ishmhz. It must have taken affect because my score jumped into the 12k's :shrug

P12,191 - 2x MSI Lightning Xtreme 580 3GB - (875mhz, 2100mhz, 1.013v) - Core i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600 - ASUS P8P67 Pro - Smokey - Corsair H70 - Link

Wallach

RukusProvider said:
Not sure why it's coming across like that. In MSI afterburner, I'm at the higher clocks. I'm using the nvidia beta driver. Could that have something to do with it?

The results pages have all kinds of issues picking up the proper frequencies. It does the same on my 5850.

JRW

P5500 1x EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 - 700 Mhz/1848 Mhz (stock clocks and voltage) - i7 920 @3.36Ghz (stock voltage & heatsink) - 6GB Corsair XMS3 @ 667 Mhz - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (rev 1.6) - JRW - Air - Link

I built this rig in 2009 and still runs everything great.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
P3496 - XFX Radeon HD 6850 - 800/1050/default volts - Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1 GHz - 4GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1333 - Biostar TZ68A+ - MrOogieBoogie - Air - Link

Should I be concerned that 3DMark told me that my score is low compared to similar systems? Is it because it doesn't recognize my video drivers? :(

Smokey

MrOogieBoogie said:
P3496 - XFX Radeon HD 6850 - 800/1050/default volts - Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1 GHz - 4GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1333 - Biostar TZ68A+ - MrOogieBoogie - Air - Link

Should I be concerned that 3DMark told me that my score is low compared to similar systems? Is it because it doesn't recognize my video drivers? :(

No. Most people running this have a OC on the CPU and GPU.

Top Bottom