• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

SalsaShark said:
right click -> properties -> update -> change from "always keep this game up to date"

wish ive done that D:

So it turns out that you can't change that setting when you're in offline mode.. thankfully I was quick enough to be able to change that setting for rage before it started patching.

Geoff9920

I finally solved all my issues with this game. My problem was being directly caused by having RadeonPro installed. After a fresh driver install, the game would work fine. As soon as RadeonPro was run even once after the install, my problems came back and would not go away even if the program was exited. After completely uninstalling RadeonPro, and then doing a fresh uninstall / install of the latest 11.10 preview drivers, the game now runs smooth with no major issues. Damn that took me way too long to figure out. Figured I'd post this in case it would help someone else.

Here's a pic of what was occuring: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9501567/rage 2011-10-04 21-53-03-89.jpg

SalsaShark said:
The game is fucking fantastic and im loving it, you should check the stuff im posting in the OT.

Although this is the tech thread, I just want to second this. The game is fun with a lot of stuff it does. I wasn't too impressed with the driving at first, but now it really grew on me.
It's unfortunate that it got off with such a bad start and I don't see it as game of the year material, but for all the crying on the internets about linear, modern war shooter, it is nice to have some alternatives coming up at the moment.
Yes, the environment textures look horrible if you focus on them, but whenever I am driving around or stuff is being shot at me (I don't even want to know what it is at times), there is hardly time to notice the flaws. On the upside, character design and animation during dialogues look fantastic and I love me some wingstick action.

luka said:
Patch fixed almost all performance issues I had. Outside of initial loading pop-in is almost completely nonexistent, and performance is solid. I'm still getting texture compression artifacts here and there, but that should be gone once crossfire is officially supported. I'm happy.

I still can't figure out why opengl games have that weirdly subtle microstutter/hitching on my machine that keeps it from looking perfectly smooth at 60 fps though. I've noticed it in all id tech 4 games (except wolfenstein as that was re-engineered for directx) and now this. Never in anything else.
That is the same issue I'm having, if it weren't for that random stuttering everything would be fine. Really wish there was a way to fix that

Salsa

Pylon_Trooper said:
Any truth to that last comment about Steam forcing the patch even if you toggle auto-updating to 'off'?

that dude's one of the ones trying to figure out what's going with the new patch, id believe him, but then again it might be one specific case.

I just expect to wake up tomorrow and see some fix, otherwise i'll try that.

Smash88

Banned
196237303111d961c1bb3d2.jpg

[not my computer]

Installed the Rage patch, ditched my config and got rid of most of my launch options, save POV and no intro movies. Video settings in-game still give me a black screen whenever I apply them, and I have to alt-tab out and back into the game to get any visuals at all. V-Sync definitely crashes it too, and "smart" isn't what I'm after so I just turned it off and kept the forced v-sync and OpenGL triple buffering through CCC.

Besides that though the game is running fine. No problems. But I wouldn't describe the game as completely fixed.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Smash88 said:
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6426/196237303111d961c1bb3d2.jpg[IMG]

[not my computer][/QUOTE]
That actually looks kind of awesome. Reminds me of I'76 :P

JRW

Ugh the game was running perfect before the patch (played 7 hours so far) but tonight after the patch i'm seeing some pretty obvious texture load in especially if I move the mouse fast, using a single GTX 480 / 285.38 beta driver / i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / Win 7 64.

I sympathise with you fellows...

...even more so, because I roll home, load up Steam, feel the burn and horror of the forced update.

And the sheer elation of it working a treat. No issues, no pop-in, runs sweet as a nut. Thank the digital heavens.

Salsa

JRW said:
Ugh the game was running perfect before the patch (played 7 hours so far) but tonight after the patch i'm seeing some pretty obvious texture load in especially if I move the mouse fast, using a single GTX 480 / 285.38 beta driver / i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / Win 7 64.

yup, we're all having that. At least most of us that used a .cfg file before.

Salsa

derFeef said:
I am not having that. And yes I used a config before.

most!

i still find it odd though, are you using any launch options at all? specs? it might be that its unnoticeable to you. Its really not that big of an issue if it wasnt for the fact that it wasnt happening before.

derFeef

SalsaShark said:
most!

i still find it odd though, are you using any launch options at all? specs? it might be that its unnoticeable to you. Its really not that big of an issue if it wasnt for the fact that it wasnt happening before.
Only skipintro and FOV change. Having a 6970, 4ghz quad, 4gb ram.
And I was pretty bummed by the streaming on release so I would notice it. I am going to say that if I load a game (just checked again) The textures take a bit longer to come in, but after that its no more streaming.

Salsa

derFeef said:
Only skipintro and FOV change. Having a 6970, 4ghz quad, 4gb ram.
And I was pretty bummed by the streaming on release so I would notice it. I am going to say that if I load a game (just checked again) The textures take a bit longer to come in, but after that its no more streaming.

Its streaming at new stuff, you see something for the first time and it loads, then if you away and go back to it (without loading another area in the middle) its still loaded and crisp. The way the game worked (for me, and for many) was that all the textures were already loaded once you load a new area, or rather load so fast as you turn that its impossible to notice.

Im thinking they just focused on making the game run on ATI hardware and we're suffering collateral damage. I cant speak to how it ran on your card before, but i was getting absolutely 0 issues with anything, so this is definetly a step backwards. Going around a new corner only to see a texture waiting to load is just not the same, specifically when you can compare it to how the game ran a couple hours ago.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
derFeef said:
The textures take a bit longer to come in, but after that its no more streaming.

This is the only noticeable difference I'm seeing with the patch, and it takes only about an extra half second now, which is nothing. Otherwise I'm getting the exact same results with the 1.0 release and custom.cfg. No extra texture loading, and yeah, I'd notice that.

outsida

I used a config before the patch and had it running fine. Now that the patch is installed its still running fine... Go figure. Really enjoying the game though. Been playing on my 50" plasma since subway town and I wish I had hooked my laptop up to the tv when I first began the game.

Locke562

So, I didn't have any screen tearing before the patch but now I do. When I try to turn V-sync on it asks if I want to keep changes. I say yes, go into the game, get more screen tearing. When I check the video settings again it says V-sync is off.

Can't get V-sync to stay on :/

I notice maybe a half second of texture loading, if at all after the patch (it forced the upgrade on me when I launched it while online)..

I notice the game actually properly reads the config file now.. before it was like it applied 8x AA but the game was still showing 2x AA.. now it shows 8.. I drop it down to 2x to get my 60 fps back.

Pretty much no change with regard to the patch with my config file in place.. running an i7 920 @ 3.64Ghz 6GB of ram and a HD6970 2GB.. running like butter at 2560x1440 w/2x AA and v-sync enabled still.

I'm really enjoying this game.. they went overboard on the details of the environment.. I find wellspring in particular to be quite impressive. Loving the voice acting and character animation, too.

outsida

Locke562 said:
So, I didn't have any screen tearing before the patch but now I do. When I try to turn V-sync on it asks if I want to keep changes. I say yes, go into the game, get more screen tearing. When I check the video settings again it says V-sync is off.

Can't get V-sync to stay on :/
I had this problem also... I fixed it by turning off vsync and triple buffering in the catalyst control panel.

Salsa

Robobandit said:
I notice maybe a half second of texture loading, if at all after the patch (it forced the upgrade on me when I launched it while online)..

I notice the game actually properly reads the config file now.. before it was like it applied 8x AA but the game was still showing 2x AA.. now it shows 8.. I drop it down to 2x to get my 60 fps back.

Pretty much no change with regard to the patch with my config file in place.. running an i7 920 @ 3.64Ghz 6GB of ram and a HD6970 2GB.. running like butter at 2560x1440 w/2x AA and v-sync enabled still.

I'm really enjoying this game.. they went overboard on the details of the environment.. I find wellspring in particular to be quite impressive. Loving the voice acting and character animation, too.

If the steam forums are anything to go by: your .cfg file isnt doing anything anymore

Carm

Game is running for me after patch. I removed the config file, cache folder before I started the game. I have vsync/triple buffering enabled in control panel though. Game looks the same to me when I used the config file, average. One thing I did notice, that I didn't before, was my footstep sound would just stop occasionally. It might have done that before the patch though.

At least it runs at 60fps.

Mohonky

Running retail product, game is running flawlessly.

1920 x 1080
Everything on
4xAF

Game is activated on steam but it wouldn't let me in the sewer....hmm

Wallach

Mohonky said:
Running retail product, game is running flawlessly.

1920 x 1080
Everything on
4xAF

Game is activated on steam but it wouldn't let me in the sewer....hmm

I think if you bought retail you need to activate a separate code in your packaging somewhere for the sewers.

After the patch I could play for a while without CTD and hitching, so that's a plus but now I have texture pop-in. It's not bad but noticeable on far way objects.

Oh well, at least it's running at 60 FPS with everything max.

I still can't get over how bad some of the textures are - even the ones you are "supposed" to look at from relative close proximity.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The patch seems to have completely removed texture pop-in for me. I haven't noticed any whatsoever since the update was downloaded and applied.

alisdair

I'm playing on a 6870 connected to a TV over HDMI, and Rage picks the 50Hz mode for 1920x1080. Is there a way to either disable this mode or force Rage to pick 60Hz?

Runs fine apart from the tearing caused by this.

mandiller

Mohonky said:
So I take it it's simply not worth purchasing this game now?

Have the latest nVidia drivers and GTX570.

Is ANYONE running this game ok? Was thinking of picking up a retail copy but sounds like it's going to be too much dicking about.

I've got a GTX 570 and I'm running the latest drivers and having no problems before or after the patch. It's still working great for me without pop-ins.

Bumhead

Banned
My rig:

i5 @ 2500k
4GB RAM
GTX 560ti 1GB

Loaded up the game vanilla when I first finished downloading from Steam. Texture pop in was pretty bad, maybe taking half a second to pop in whenever you turned around, moved or looked in a different direction.

However, I downloaded the config file and cache folder from the big fix thread on the Steam forums, and the game is running almost perfect for me now. Textures pop in when you first load the game, but after that there's absolutely no issues with it at all. The pop in when you turn around or look in a different direction is non-existent for me now.

I fixed mine with custom config and start options, running with zero pop-in and 60FPS solid at 8k textures, 8xAA, Triple Buffering and VSync forced in Nvidia control panel. When I was running 16xAA it'd often drop to 30FPS mostly when driving.

Given some of the comments/concerns about the patch I've disabled updating for RAGE until I've read more impressions.

Peterthumpa

Game was running great before the patch and runs equally great now, but now whenever there's an explosion of enemies buggies near me while driving in the Wasteland I get a stupid graphical glitch above my buggy for like 5 seconds.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Any truth to that last comment about Steam forcing the patch even if you toggle auto-updating to 'off'?
Yes...mine is doing it right now...dammit! Mine was running perfectly, so didn't want to risk screwing with it with the patch. And my broadband is completely pathetic.

commissar

When you set to not update, steam won't download it automatically but you have to install the patch next time you run the game FYI.

Class_A_Ninja said:
You know what? I found the key, entered it for activation, and it said I already had rage. Hmm.

This may sound a bit stupid, but did you take the right sewer entrance?
All sewers have an entrance and an exit close by. It won't let you go in through the exit, though. Easiest way is to check the entrance right next to the red tent near the ark at the start of the game.

For those who still have issues this tip from the Steam forums might help:

Steam Forums said:
Rage - Do not forget to create cache maps, IMPORTANT!

And please people don't forget creating a cache map for Rage it helps alot you know .

(C:/)/Users/YourName/AppData/Local/id software/rage

=> After creating id software/rage start new game and quit the game to check if game created cache files for you it's around 1gb for now.

Somehow game doesn't do that by itself :p.

Have a nice day!

-Alencek_Forever aka Farystar ^^

Not sure if this was the last tweak to push me over the top but the game runs flawless for me right now.

Thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah, wonderful. I just noticed a new patch was released and now the game crashes when attempting to load. Any thoughts?

It's simply a generic "Rage has stopped working" right after a level load.

NullPointer said:
For those who still have issues this tip from the Steam forums might help:

Not sure if this was the last tweak to push me over the top but the game runs flawless for me right now.

Thread

You gorgeous man you. Worked like a charm, game is even more silky smooth than before. Ace.

PjotrStroganov said:
Can anyone tell me what to change in the config file to get 60fps on a HD5850 stock and Phenom IIx4 955 @3.6ghz?
Pretty much my setup (my 5850 is stock overclocked and I have a 965) and I deleted my cfg. Using the latest preview catalysts. Maybe try to totally sweep your gfx driver and re-install the newest one?

dark10x said:
Ah, wonderful. I just noticed a new patch was released and now the game crashes when attempting to load. Any thoughts?

It's simply a generic "Rage has stopped working" right after a level load.
Strangely enough that happened to me before the patch but has stopped since the update.

Top Bottom