• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

Arment said:
Just got this game and I'm having a rippling bar run across my screen every now and then. Anyone else have this problem? Is that tearing?

None of the force vsync things fixed it. I just got this PC so not sure if my 560 ti is bad or it's the games problem. Haven't had it in any others games though.

Yep I can't get rid of it on mine either. Its like a strip of tearing...its really bizarre.

Pimpbaa

KingOfKong said:
Yep I can't get rid of it on mine either. Its like a strip of tearing...its really bizarre.

Did you guys check the profile for Rage in the nvidia control panel? An update forces v-sync off.

KingOfKong said:

Tearing happened like this on my ATI card until I forced vsync with +r_swapInterval 1 on the launch options. After the patch, it was not necessary anymore (the game defaults to +r_swapInterval 2 now, which is "smart" mode).

The differences between the options seem to be that if the game does not run at 60 frames, it will either stutter (drop to 30 fps) or tear (keep 60 fps, regardless if the rest can keep up), depending on which setting is chosen. (0 = tear, 1 = stutter, 2 = smart). Smart mode does the same as 1 (vsync on), but instead of dropping to 30 fps, it will tear instead. The latter option only works on some grafics cards, though.
You should try to force vsync on if you prefer to have slight stutters instead of the tearing or try to lower some other options so that the framerate does not drop below 60.

I have a GTX 580 so it stays well above 60 fps. Forced sync and still had the weird tearing bar. Oh well I will fool with it tomorrow, I'm giving up on it for tonight.

KingOfKong said:
I have a GTX 580 so it stays well above 60 fps. Forced sync and still had the weird tearing bar. Oh well I will fool with it tomorrow, I'm giving up on it for tonight.

I got my settings right by starting from the low end (4k pages, no aa, no aniso, force vsync) and worked upwards from there. Strangely enough, setting aniso to "0" pre-patch led to worse performance than having it at "2", but I couldn't verify that anymore post-patch.
Triple buffering also doesn't crash the game for me anymore, but it didn't seem to have any impact either.

Good luck

Arment

Pimpbaa said:
Did you guys check the profile for Rage in the nvidia control panel? An update forces v-sync off.

That fixed it. I was forcing vsync in general, not going in to the games profile and forcing there.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
KingOfKong said:

My game suffered from that pre-patch, however only at the main menu.

Edit: I should also mention that I don't play with v-sync/triple-buffering enabled as screen tearing, for the most part, goes unnoticed by me.

Social

Running this pretty good after the patch. Streaming is 70% better and I'm playing it on a 60 inch plasma with a controller. Rough start but it seems to be ok to enjoy now :).Only 3 hours in so far though...

Pimpbaa

KingOfKong said:
No I didn't. I just updated the game and turned on sync ingame which didn't help it.
Did you read what I said? Turning on v-sync on in game will not help when the profile for the game in the nvidia control is forcing it off.

Pimpbaa said:

Just got the game. This fixed it for me. Steady 60FPS with sli 560 ti's everything maxed at 1080p. Game looks and runs great after the update and this fix for the tearing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I just want to play this game, still completely unplayable thanks to the constant random freezes. =(

Sinatar

derFeef said:
Using RadeonPro?

Tried with it, without it. Sweeped my drivers, tried 4 different config files, disabled catylist AI in the .xml ATI profiles, had triple buffering on and off, every possible driver setting permutation I could conceive of and the problem persists.

derFeef

Sinatar said:
Tried with it, without it. Sweeped my drivers, tried 4 different config files, disabled catylist AI in the .xml ATI profiles, had triple buffering on and off, every possible driver setting permutation I could conceive of and the problem persists.
Hm, the only time I got those constant freezes were when I had a Rage profile (even without anything set) in RadeonPro. I am out of ideas as my game runs pretty sweet now with a 6970 :/

Sinatar

Fxp said:
"+jobs_numThreads 0" fixed the freezing/stuttering for me, running game on dual core machine and 6850.

Yea that doesn't work so well on an i7, causes the framerate to dive to the single digit range.

I just tried with RadeonPro turned off and it was actually working fine, so I guess that was the culprit. I hadn't tried that with the latest drivers/patches so thanks for the suggestion derFeef it seems to have worked.

Teknoman

Metal-Geo said:
Welp. Just installed the AMD 11.10 preview 2 driver. The performance is much better! But now I get those 'corrupted' textures! Aaaargh! Is there a fix for this? Or would reverting the driver be the best?

Same thing happened to me. At least once the 11.10 full drivers are out, we should all be playing 60 fps with large cache no problem.

Metal-Geo

Teknoman said:
Same thing happened to me. At least once the 11.10 full drivers are out, we should all be playing 60 fps with large cache no problem.
Oh crap, sorry! I totally forgot to share I fixed this problem!

Turns out, I had Catalyst AI disabled in my profiles.xml. Turning it back on fixed the problem. :O

Got the patch. I have no issues right now except that I don't have 5.1. I use optical and ALL my other games work fine with it. Apparently Rage does not and I doubt they will fix it either.

Arcipello

Slackbladder said:
Got the patch. I have no issues right now except that I don't have 5.1. I use optical and ALL my other games work fine with it. Apparently Rage does not and I doubt they will fix it either.

sound design has ALWAYS been a very very low priority for all id software games... didnt expect much at all from RAGE and thats what we got :(

Metal-Geo

Arcipello said:
sound design has ALWAYS been a very very low priority for all id software games... didnt expect much at all from RAGE and thats what we got :(
I thought DOOM 3 was wildly advertised for its great horror atmosphere in 7.1 surround sound.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Arcipello said:
That's not true at all. They put a lot of effort into Doom 3, for instance.

Honestly, I think Rage sounds tremendously good. The PS3 version delivers a perfectly punchy 7.1 mix that sounds fantastic throughout. The PC version also has no issues for me on the sound front.

codhand

Sound design has never been a priority at id? So when id hired Trent Reznor to do sound design on Quake, it was just for shits?

jett

D-Member
ALL RIGHT! Fixed the stuttering casued by enabling Catalyst AI with the +jobs_numThreads 0 setting, and Catalyst AI incidentally fixed the corrupt textures.

I have a new problem now, of course. +jobs_numThreads 0 makes the framerate dive everytime I move. :( If I don't move its 60fps, if I move at all dives into the twenties. This game... >_<

Echoplx

This is my current config, been running at 60FPS @ 2560x1440 on a GTX470 with very minimal pop in

Any more tweaks/changes i can make to improve quality.

Code:
seta image_usecompression "0"
seta image_anisotropy "16"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "16384"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192" 
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "16384" 
seta vt_minlod "-1"
seta vt_lodBias "-1"
seta vt_maxaniso "2"
seta vt_qualityhdplossless "1"
seta vt_qualityhdppower "0"
seta vt_qualityhdpspecular "0"
seta vt_qualityhdpnormal "0"
seta vt_qualityhdpdiffuse "0"
seta vt_qualitydctpower "100"
seta vt_qualitydctspecular "100"
seta vt_qualitydctnormal "100"
seta vt_qualitydctchroma "100"
seta vt_qualitydctluma "100"
seta vt_maxlockedpages "256"

garath

This might have been answered somewhere already but has anyone found a cvar for changing the mouse speed in the menus to match the sensitivity elsewhere in the game?

In game sensitivity is fine, but when I hit TAB to open the menus the mouse is easily twice the speed.

Wallach

garath said:
This might have been answered somewhere already but has anyone found a cvar for changing the mouse speed in the menus to match the sensitivity elsewhere in the game?

In game sensitivity is fine, but when I hit TAB to open the menus the mouse is easily twice the speed.

Add +cvar m_menu_sensitivity -0.2 to your Steam launch properties. It won't fix it completely (there is still obvious positive acceleration) but it won't be as crazy. You can change that number yourself if you find it unsuitable.

dark10x

I found, perhaps, the best point of torture for the game thus far. When you first make your way to the Wasted Garage you cross along the top of a large dam. In this area, I ran into a lot of issues with performance. As I look in different directions you can see the texture re-draw clearly and when it DOES re-draw the framerate drops. Most areas are smooth, but this one section really bogged down with texture loading.

That is one of the things I've noticed the PC choking on that isn't a problem on the consoles. For both PS3 and 360, the loading of textures appears to have no impact on performance.

garath

Wallach said:
Add +cvar m_menu_sensitivity -0.2 to your Steam launch properties. It won't fix it completely (there is still obvious positive acceleration) but it won't be as crazy. You can change that number yourself if you find it unsuitable.

Thanks!

I was in this thread a long time ago, nervous and uneasy, asking whether RAGE would run properly on a newish 27" imac.

Just wanted to say, that it runs like a dream and my cold sweat is gone, replaced by dorky, drooling joy. I'm like a stupid kid with a new toy - This shit is the bee's knees.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Okay. Just picked up the boxed pc version today and slowly installing it.

Is a 3Ghz PC with 4Gb of Ram and a GTX460 going to be okay for this game. Should I expect to play at 60fps?

garath

cyberheater said:
Okay. Just picked up the boxed pc version today and slowly installing it.

Is a 3Ghz PC with 4Gb of Ram and a GTX460 going to be okay for this game. Should I expect to play at 60fps?

Yep. You didn't say what kind of processor but I would expect 60fps with 4-8x AA and the 8k textures.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
garath said:
Yep. You didn't say what kind of processor but I would expect 60fps with 4-8x AA and the 8k textures.

It's a core 2 duo. Thanks for the reply.

scitek

dark10x said:
I found, perhaps, the best point of torture for the game thus far. When you first make your way to the Wasted Garage you cross along the top of a large dam. In this area, I ran into a lot of issues with performance. As I look in different directions you can see the texture re-draw clearly and when it DOES re-draw the framerate drops. Most areas are smooth, but this one section really bogged down with texture loading.

That is one of the things I've noticed the PC choking on that isn't a problem on the consoles. For both PS3 and 360, the loading of textures appears to have no impact on performance.

Isn't that because the console versions dynamically change the resolution to keep the framerate constant? The PC's fixed at whatever res you have it set, so the framerate takes a hit.

ss_lemonade

So how does the game run with 6970 cards? I read about awful AMD performance these past few days, has it improved? Would suck if I can't even run this at 60fps

scitek

georaldc said:
So how does the game run with 6970 cards? I read about awful AMD performance these past few days, has it improved? Would suck if I can't even run this at 60fps
I have a 2GB 6950 with unlocked shaders and overclocked to stock 6970 speeds, so it's basically a 6970, and I run close to flawlessly with my config (from the OP) set to 16k and 4xAA on. It used to crash and stutter every now and then, but those issues are all but gone.

scitek said:
I have a 2GB 6950 with unlocked shaders and overclocked to stock 6970 speeds, so it's basically a 6970, and I run close to flawlessly with my config (from the OP) set to 16k and 4xAA on. It used to crash and stutter every now and then, but those issues are all but gone.

Runs perfectly on my 6970 as well..

Pimpbaa said:
Did you read what I said? Turning on v-sync on in game will not help when the profile for the game in the nvidia control is forcing it off.

no, i misunderstood what you were saying. was running on fumes last night. just did what you said this morning and it worked. you were right, it kept forcing vsync off. many thanks!

ShdwDrake

Banned
Robobandit said:
Runs perfectly on my 6970 as well..
Same on my 6870. Ever since ^the patch no glitching or anything. Haven't tried out 16k textures though but rock solid performance with 8k. Now if I could just enable hardware mouse itd be perfect.

dark10x

scitek said:
Isn't that because the console versions dynamically change the resolution to keep the framerate constant? The PC's fixed at whatever res you have it set, so the framerate takes a hit.
It's not related to resolution, though, it's the texture loading. The same issue occurs regardless of how low the resolution is on the PC. After this drop occurs the framerate immediately returns to 60. It only slows down while textures are popping in.

Echoplx

Anyone else have the issue where the texture size option resets every time you reboot the game?

Also now with this patch what exactly do I need the rageconfig file for?

Arcipello said:
Well I don't understand. Either Rage has 5.1/7.1 or it doesn't. If it doesn't at all then that's crazy. But if it's a problem for me then can it be fixed. I heard it may have something to do with the game being OpenGL?

Mr_eX

3chopl0x said:
Anyone else have the issue where the texture size option resets every time you reboot the game?

Also now with this patch what exactly do I need the rageconfig file for?
I removed the config and I started getting black squares, put the config back and it was perfect again.

Top Bottom