• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

Ricker

Error,game is unavailable at this time,please try again later...wtf is this shit?

EDIT: I`ts working now,guess it was patching or something hehe...

Looks a little better now after the patch,I left everything like the default for the new video settings,except I have 8x AA,at 1920x1080.(GTX560Ti)

Bumhead

Banned
I can't create an AppData folder.

Whenever I go to C:/Users/Username and try to create an AppData folder, I get the following message:

"This destination already contains a folder named AppData.

If any files have the same names you will be asked if you want to replace those files.

Do you still want to merge this folder"

Regardless of if I click yes or not, it doesn't create an AppData folder. But there's no other AppData folder in my C:/Users/Username folder. Nothing.

Help? It's really frustrating as it's not going to be possible for me to create this cache until I get around this..

Mat C said:
I can't create an AppData folder.

Whenever I go to C:/Users/Username and try to create an AppData folder, I get the following message:

"This destination already contains a folder named AppData.

If any files have the same names you will be asked if you want to replace those files.

Do you still want to merge this folder"

Regardless of if I click yes or not, it doesn't create an AppData folder. But there's no other AppData folder in my C:/Users/Username folder. Nothing.

Help? It's really frustrating as it's not going to be possible for me to create this cache until I get around this..
You already have the folder but its hidden in Windows by default. You can also check the Steam thread for more info.

But, make sure you can view hidden files and folders, and if the folders aren't there, create them (the bolded ones below)

(C:/)/Users/YourName/AppData/Local/id software/rage

Just type "Folder Options" into the Start menu search...it'll pop up in a shortlist, "Show Hidden Files and Folders" will be within that list. Click and there you go.

Bumhead

Banned
Ah, yep, that was my problem. The folder was hidden. Ooops! Thanks guys. So what exactly are the benefits of doing this?

Another issue I'm having with RAGE right now is that outside I'm only getting a maximum of 30fps. It's locked in at 30, but it never goes any higher. As soon as I go anywhere inside however it immidietly jumps to 60fps.

I've got an i5, 4GB RAM and a GTX 560ti 1GB.

Any idea's.

Mat C said:
Ah, yep, that was my problem. The folder was hidden. Ooops! Thanks guys. So what exactly are the benefits of doing this?

Another issue I'm having with RAGE right now is that outside I'm only getting a maximum of 30fps. It's locked in at 30, but it never goes any higher. As soon as I go anywhere inside however it immidietly jumps to 60fps.

I've got an i5, 4GB RAM and a GTX 560ti 1GB.

Any idea's.

You have v-sync on. The update said that if the fps drops below 60, it will drop all the way down to 30. there is no inbetween. You're obviously not maintaining 60 fps, so the game drops down to 30. Indoors you are maintaing 60 fps, so it stays at 60.

Salsa

NullPointer said:
For those who still have issues this tip from the Steam forums might help:

Not sure if this was the last tweak to push me over the top but the game runs flawless for me right now.

Thread

using that since the beggining, hasnt changed a thing. Texture streaming is back with a vengeance, and i still believe the .cfg file does nothing. People should try moving it away from the rage/base folder and see if their game looks the same. They just blocked a ton of tweaks.

maybe people getting slow texture streaming now and not before are all nvidia users?

Bumhead

Banned
I disabled V-Sync in the game options and am still getting 30fps outdoors, although I do have my Nvidia control panel set to always force on. All the rest of my tweakable settings within RAGE itself are set to low and I'm only running at x2 AA..

I suspect at this point I may just have to settle for that, rather than upsetting the texture pop-in again..

Salsa

hey guess what: you enabled and used the console anywhere in your playthrough? like before to fix the shitty FOV or something? your savefile is flagged and you cant get any more achievements now.

Just fucking great.

MrBig

Started playing the game on my 32" TV instead of my monitor.
Feels like I'm getting sub 60Hz at times; 1280x720, 4x AA. 512mb 9600 GT with 285 beta drivers, and a 2.4 ghz C2D cpu. Small amount of occasional tearing. The game will hang and get stuck at ~5 fps at random times during races.

Overall I'm happy with how it runs on this old hardware, though I'm starting to regret going for a desktop replacement laptop instead of building a new tower 4 years ago.

scitek

SalsaShark said:
hey guess what: you enabled and used the console anywhere in your playthrough? like before to fix the shitty FOV or something? your savefile is flagged and you cant get any more achievements now.

Just fucking great.
I've been using the console and getting achievements.

Salsa

scitek said:
I've been using the console and getting achievements.

i still havent made any progress post-patch to see if its happening to me, but there are a good 5 people stating that on the Steam forums. Downright getting an error that says "Achievements have been disabled cause this playthrough has enabled console" or something like that. So yeah, not even disabling user-made tweaks but punishing users that managed to fix the previous issues by themselves.. this is just far worse handling of this whole situation than the shoddy launch or whatever.

There's absolutely nothing worse than developers blocking user-made tweaks, its like taking away a big chunk of what makes PC gaming so superior to other experiences.

Linkup

MrBig said:
Started playing the game on my 32" TV instead of my monitor.
Feels like I'm getting sub 60Hz at times; 1280x720, 4x AA. 512mb 9600 GT with 285 beta drivers, and a 2.4 ghz C2D cpu. Small amount of occasional tearing. The game will hang and get stuck at ~5 fps at random times during races.

Overall I'm happy with how it runs on this old hardware, though I'm starting to regret going for a desktop replacement laptop instead of building a new tower 4 years ago.

How does the game look? I have the same gpu/cpu and I'm not going to bother if the game is a blurry mess 60fps or not. Really want to play it but I haven't heard much about how it's running on older hardware.

MrBig

Linkup said:
How does the game look? I have the same gpu/cpu and I'm not going to bother if the game is a blurry mess 60fps or not. Really want to play it but I haven't heard much about how it's running on older hardware.
Looks just as good as any of the pics from the high-res screenshots thread. I'm pretty sure the graphical appearance of the game is consistent across all hardware, its just performance you would have to worry about, which I'm not having any problems with. If I were keep AA off it would be a solid 60 fps.

scitek

SalsaShark said:
i still havent made any progress post-patch to see if its happening to me, but there are a good 5 people stating that on the Steam forums. Downright getting an error that says "Achievements have been disabled cause this playthrough has enabled console" or something like that. So yeah, not even disabling user-made tweaks but punishing users that managed to fix the previous issues by themselves.. this is just far worse handling of this whole situation than the shoddy launch or whatever.

There's absolutely nothing worse than developers blocking user-made tweaks, its like taking away a big chunk of what makes PC gaming so superior to other experiences.

I'm pretty sure my config still works too. With the in-game settings I get terrible texture pop-in. I type "exec rageconfig.cfg" and it goes away. Also, r_multisamples 16 and 32 both work in the console.

EDIT: Nevermind, "exec" doesn't work mid-game, but if I start the game with the config file in the 'base' folder, and I check the options, it says I have cache size set to small, but when I set it to large and then back to small, I can see there's no way it starts that way. With my config I have virtually no pop-in after the initial load, no matter how quickly I look around, but with small I can stare at walls and watch them fill in. My config's definitely working.

Linkup

MrBig said:
Looks just as good as any of the pics from the high-res screenshots thread. I'm pretty sure the graphical appearance of the game is consistent across all hardware, its just performance you would have to worry about, which I'm not having any problems with. If I were keep AA off it would be a solid 60 fps.

What about texture pop in? That 512mb card worries me.

MrBig

Linkup said:
What about texture pop in? That 512mb card worries me.
Better than consoles. Look to you HDD speed for what to expect. I have a 5400 rpm ssd/hdd hybrid and it's noticeable but only takes a few frames for everything to load in.

Gvaz

Banned
I haven't used the patch yet, but with GPU-z I notice with 8k the memory hovers around 800-950mb out of my 1GB available. This is at max everything AND 8xAA

SalsaShark said:
If the steam forums are anything to go by: your .cfg file isnt doing anything anymore

actually it does.. I had in-game set to 2x AA, and that's what it was before I dropped my config file back in. When I closed the game and put my config file in, the game said 8x AA.. which was from my config file.

All of the settings we were using might not work, but some of them seem to.

It could be that only the ones they added to the menu work via the config file.. that would explain why the AA setting works.

aeolist

Banned
SalsaShark said:

I've been seeing that message my whole game. I don't really care and I just wish I could disable the damn popup.

Weird thing is I just got like 9 achievements at once when I finished the jail.

SalsaShark said:
i still havent made any progress post-patch to see if its happening to me, but there are a good 5 people stating that on the Steam forums.

I got achievements all the time, even though I've been using launch parameters, console and config file.

Not been using the cfg file since the patch, but launch parameters still seem to be recognized and you could always check if it says that the cfg was loaded right after starting the game in the console. There are some options that will only work as a launch parameter and I remember seeing an error about those in the console.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:

Just fucking great.

Yeah, this certainly does suck. The game actually glitched out at one point when I entered the Prison level and gave me like 7 achievements at once (all of the ones from completing previous levels). That never happened again, though.

scitek

All I have in my config is the stuff from the OP at 16k and AF set to 4x. Everything else is as the game loads it, and I get no texture pop-in whatsoever save for the first second or two in a place.

Someone on the Steam forums mentioned that the game only loads 4x AF the first time you load the game, and as soon as you enter a new area, it resets to 2x. They bound a key to 4xAF and hit it whenever a new area loads and there's supposedly a difference. Also, someone over there mentioned that the "vt_pageimagesizevmtr" only applies to your HUD and gun, and shouldn't be any higher than 4096.

So, I have THAT at 4096 and the other three at 16k and am running perfectly with my 2GB Radeon 6950 whereas before, if I set all four to 16k, I'd get horrible stuttering. I knocked AA down to 4x, as well, and I have yet to see a single drop below 60fps aside from maybe an explosion or two right in my face.

Boards of Canada said:
I'm thinking of buying Rage, but will it run at least decently (20-30fps+) on my MacBook Pro with a GeForce 9600M GT 512MB?
A 9600M is well below the system requirements, so I seriously doubt it would be playable.

MrBig

Boards of Canada said:
I'm thinking of buying Rage, but will it run at least decently (20-30fps+) on my MacBook Pro with a GeForce 9600M GT 512MB?
AndyMoogle said:
A 9600M is well below the system requirements, so I seriously doubt it would be playable.
MrBig said:

I can't keep 60 at all times, but it certainly hovers around it.
A 512mb 9600 has more power than what the consoles got so I don't even know how you came to that conclusion.

MrBig said:
A 512mb 9600 has more power than what the consoles got so I don't even know how you came to that conclusion.
I came to that conclusion by looking at the system requirements and seeing that a 9600M is below what those requirements are.

MrBig

AndyMoogle said:
I came to that conclusion by looking at the system requirements and seeing that a 9600M is below what those requirements are.
Well, as I said maybe 5 posts above you, if I were to keep AA off I would be getting a solid 60. That information is incorrect, as always.

Bluth54

After downloading the latest patch for Rage and the new drivers that ATI released the other day the texture pop in is mostly gone (it happens rarely enough now that it doesn't bother me), but now I get screen flickering. Several times every minute the screen will flicker and I can see my desktop. No other game does this and it wasn't happening before the driver update/Rage patch. It's even more annoying then the texture pop in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MrBig said:
You can't really think about it like that. The consoles have a HUGE advantage here as the game is coded very specifically for the machines using a lot of techniques that simply aren't possible on the PC platform (due to hardware variation). They could write directly to the hardware at a low level.

kemical

Neo Member
I've been running the game great on a 9650M GT (laptop) @ 720p cause my ATI 5800 card just can't run it currently. So I'd say it is possible, I don't know how different the 9600 GT is, I think the 9650M has 1gb of ram.

jett

D-Member
Anyone else still getting corrupted textures, despite the latest AMD drivers and the recent patch? Seems it gets worse the higher the resolution I set.

dark10x: what did you do to get rid of the stuttering and the corrupted textures?

Deadbeat

Banned
dark10x said:
You can't really think about it like that. The consoles have a HUGE advantage here as the game is coded very specifically for the machines using a lot of techniques that simply aren't possible on the PC platform (due to hardware variation). They could write directly to the hardware at a low level.
2005 hardware more powerful than 2011 hardware. Confirmed.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
jett said:
Anyone else still getting corrupted textures, despite the latest AMD drivers and the recent patch? Seems it gets worse the higher the resolution I set.

dark10x: what did you do to get rid of the stuttering and the corrupted textures?
It's still a problem with AMD cards it seems. If I use crossfire/cat AI the corruption goes away, but the game freezes up constantly. I'm gonna hold off until crossfire is officially supported.

Just played 10-15 min of RAGE on my MacBook Pro 9600M GT. At 1280x720, runs at over 60fps. Silky smooth. At 1920x1080, runs close to 60fps but has drops outside. At 2560x1440, about 30fps. Very playable.

Mr_eX

My game hasn't given me issues until today. In the game I just said I was ready to go to the area after Wellsping and the loading screen came up then it just went black and now the same thing happens every time I try to load my game. On top of that every time I try to verify my game cache my computer blue screens.

Now when I try to launch the game it says it can't open vmtr page file

edit

Steam finally validated my files without my computer crashing and 63 files failed. 17 gigs downloading and I just downloaded 21 gigs Tuesday.

Pimpbaa

Mr_eX said:
My game hasn't given me issues until today. In the game I just said I was ready to go to the area after Wellsping and the loading screen came up then it just went black and now the same thing happens every time I try to load my game. On top of that every time I try to verify my game cache my computer blue screens.

Now when I try to launch the game it says it can't open vmtr page file

Sounds like some corruption on your harddrive. Time to do a chkdsk.

Arment

Just got this game and I'm having a rippling bar run across my screen every now and then. Anyone else have this problem? Is that tearing?

None of the force vsync things fixed it. I just got this PC so not sure if my 560 ti is bad or it's the games problem. Haven't had it in any others games though.

Top Bottom