• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

jett

D-Member
New AMD drivers can't get soon enough, or id patch or something I don't know. I want to play this game glitch-free at a decent framerate. It's either glitches or no glitches and low frames. :/

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm a hour or so into it. It looks fantastic.

Anyone else notice the really nice 5.1 audio. It's pretty accurate.

what the..?

I started a new game on nightmare and when I was about to get an achievement, I got the message that says that console is/was enabled and achievements are locked.
Finished the game with the new patch before, even got "Hurt me plenty" and had the exact same configuration as of now.

As far as I understood, all saves (ever) have to be deleted now to have it go away and even that didn't help some on the Steam forums. This game is testing my patience on a lot levels now. I know that software development and QA can be very difficult, but this is getting ridiculous.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Slackbladder said:
Got the patch. I have no issues right now except that I don't have 5.1. I use optical and ALL my other games work fine with it. Apparently Rage does not and I doubt they will fix it either.

I've got 5.1 going hdmi into my receiver. Sounds pretty good too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It was running fine yesterday, but loading it up today I find that it is dropping frames as textures load more severely than before. I find it very strange how the performance seems to vary so heavily every time you open it.

Hela

Does anyone else get crashes on loading screens every so often? Happened a lot while entering/leaving Wellspring for me and it starts to get on my nerves.

Teknoman

jett said:
New AMD drivers can't get soon enough, or id patch or something I don't know. I want to play this game glitch-free at a decent framerate. It's either glitches or no glitches and low frames. :/

Did you try the preview drivers and setting Catalyst to advanced? No glitches...so far. Is the pistol supposed to have a muzzle flash though? I'm not seeing anything, just hearing the shot.

jett

D-Member
Teknoman said:
Did you try the preview drivers and setting Catalyst to advanced? No glitches...so far. Is the pistol supposed to have a muzzle flash though? I'm not seeing anything, just hearing the shot.

Yeah, but for catalyst AI to work I have to enable a RAGE command that makes it only use one thread on my CPU. No glitches whatsoever, but framerate gets cut in half mostly...although only when I move. If I'm stationary the framerate stays at 60fps.

Yeah...wat.

I don't see muzzle flash either. The lighting in this game is really poor anyway.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Teknoman said:

There aren't any real-time lighting effects in this game. Nothing has muzzle flashes or any other lighting effect of any sort. It's technically inferior to Quake 2 in that respect.

Prodigal

Banned
My friend's having a rough time with Rage crashing pretty frequently. We were just playing coop and after we beat it it kicked him out and crashed on him while it was loading. He's got the latest drivers too.

Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 12.0 GB DDR3, Radeon HD 6870 1 GB

ss_lemonade

Man, just tried the game. Textures look neat from afar but holy shit at their quality up close. Even doom 3 had less blurry textures than this as far as I know. I remember watching an id tech 5/megatexture demo before where the textures looked amazing even when zoomed in super close. The fuck happened?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
georaldc said:
Man, just tried the game. Textures look neat from afar but holy shit at their quality up close. Even doom 3 had less blurry textures than this as far as I know. I remember watching an id tech 5/megatexture demo before where the textures looked amazing even when zoomed in super close. The fuck happened?

Console texture memory limitations happened.

MrBig

georaldc said:
Consoles. Also not everyone has real time access to a render farm.

jett

D-Member
Sinatar said:

I think the textures have always been mostly of the same quality. And again its disk space what matters most with megatextures, it can be seen clearly as day with the retarded amount of macroblocking some textures have because of high compression. It's nothing to do with texture resolution. What has been downgraded since the 2007 and 2008 trailers has been the lighting and the post processing effects.

jett

D-Member
AndyMoogle said:
The game is 21GB as it is. With less compression it would take up ridiculous amounts of space.

Ya. Even going back to the first showing of the game in 2007, you can tell that Wellsprings looks virtually the same now.

rage-20070803110111309.jpg

There are a few structural differences, and it shows what I believe to be real-time shadows, but the textures are the same

rage-20070803110056638.jpg

In this one you can see the low quality textures on the ground.

edit: it's possible that textures were compressed even further as time went by but they were never really high-res to begin with.

Killer

Banned
does anyone play this on PC get screen tearing? I have severe tearing even after the update. I turned on Vsync but when i check the video options i see it turned off . I don't know what to do with this game its completely unplayable atm.

Linkup

Win7 64bit
Core 2 Duo E8400 3.2GHz
4GB ram PC2 6400
9600gt 512mb
7200 rpm hardrive

I played about 2 hours. It does look very good usually, kind of a mixed bag in some places though. Atmosphere and gunplay is top notch. Saw plenty of textures filling in ahead of me when driving and a few other times besides that. I can't complain considering the machine I'm running it on.

MountZion

Neo Member
Boards of Canada said:
My framerate drops in half when I'm in a vehicle. Anyone else notice this?

I had the same problem. I had to turn down AA from 16x to 8x and all was well. Actually I do prefer the look of 8x now. It's not as blurry :)

Casp0r

Banned
Carmack can suck my dick. This game is broken as shit.

Ergh, what a waste of £30, this just flushed Carmack's remaining flecks of credentials down the toilet, in my opinion.

PC gamers really need a quality control authority that can bitch slap developers that release broken games into the market.

dark10x

Sinatar said:
That's not true at all. This game requires an enormous amount of video memory to look its best. Rage absolutely gobbles up v-ram. I don't think it would be possible to improve the quality of the textures on most PCs. Simply doubling the size would cause the game to jump up to 40gb and would require more texture re-drawing due to memory requirements.

jett said:
Yeah, but for catalyst AI to work I have to enable a RAGE command that makes it only use one thread on my CPU. No glitches whatsoever, but framerate gets cut in half mostly...although only when I move. If I'm stationary the framerate stays at 60fps.

Yeah...wat.

I don't see muzzle flash either. The lighting in this game is really poor anyway.
1) It seems to me that the framerate dips when crunching through textures. As the game loads textures into the scene, performance takes a dip. That seems to be the most demanding aspect of the engine, really. When you limit the game to one thread this operation becomes even more demanding and results in a massive framerate hit.

2) I actually quite like the lighting myself. There isn't much in the way of dynamic lights being thrown around, but the pre-calculated global illumination used here is quite lovely. This is rather similar to Mirror's Edge, actually, which also used pre-calculated GI. Dynamic shadows are nice, but not always necessary.

jett

D-Member
dark10x said:
That's not true at all. This game requires an enormous amount of video memory to look its best. Rage absolutely gobbles up v-ram. I don't think it would be possible to improve the quality of the textures on most PCs. Simply doubling the size would cause the game to jump up to 40gb and would require more texture re-drawing due to memory requirements.

1) It seems to me that the framerate dips when crunching through textures. As the game loads textures into the scene, performance takes a dip. That seems to be the most demanding aspect of the engine, really. When you limit the game to one thread this operation becomes even more demanding and results in a massive framerate hit.

2) I actually quite like the lighting myself. There isn't much in the way of dynamic lights being thrown around, but the pre-calculated global illumination used here is quite lovely. This is rather similar to Mirror's Edge, actually, which also used pre-calculated GI. Dynamic shadows are nice, but not always necessary.

Yeaaaah I hope I get a fix soon. I'm enjoying the game though despite running it nowhere close to Carmack's vaunted 60fps. :p At least the graphics are not a mess anymore.

dark10x

jett said:
Yeaaaah I hope I get a fix soon. I'm enjoying the game though despite running it nowhere close to Carmack's vaunted 60fps. :p At least the graphics are not a mess anymore.
I've actually just been playing the PS3 version while trying to get the PC version running well. Loving the game on PS3, though. I'll enjoy replaying this on PC eventually, but right now, it's still a mess.

cyberheater

I've taken out the rage config file, reduced texture cache to small and it still looks great. Go figure.

I must say. I'm loving the solid 60fps shooting. It's very responsive and smooth using the 360 gamepad.

Gunjin

spent the last few days trying to get more than around 0.1FPS on my mid-range rig and have now given up. I'm not returning it but will try it again on my next rig (some point next year) and will certainly not be buying any id games at launch again. Once bitten, twice pissed off.

jett

D-Member
Gunjin said:
spent the last few days trying to get more than around 0.1FPS on my mid-range rig and have now given up. I'm not returning it but will try it again on my next rig (some point next year) and will certainly not be buying any id games at launch again. Once bitten, twice pissed off.

AMD?

You have to do two things: enable Catalyst AI, and then run the Rage executable with this command '+jobs_numThreads 0'(without the apostrophes). That should make it playable.

dark10x

I love just loading up Rage each day and discovering new ways in which it is broken.

Today, I load it up and now it is freezing for 5 seconds at a time before continuing. Just two days ago it was totally playable, now it's unplayable today. Why? You got me, but that's what it's doing.

I have no clue what is causing this.

Pimpbaa

Killer said:
does anyone play this on PC get screen tearing? I have severe tearing even after the update. I turned on Vsync but when i check the video options i see it turned off . I don't know what to do with this game its completely unplayable atm.

Ugh, repeated this so many times. Look in the game profiles for Rage in your nvidia control panel. V-sync is forced off by nvidia.

Good finds jett.

given that you need 1 gig of vram in order to do the 8k texture cache thing, you'd need 1 gig of vram in order to double the resolution of the textures with the amount of pop in we see at a 4k texture cache.

i don't think we should expect to see better from this tech until consoles have 1 gig or more video memory.

also, has anyone shipped a PC game on blu-ray yet even as an option? blu-ray drives must be starting to get common enough these days right?

JoeTheBlow said:
I myself see no point in getting one. I have a PS3 for blu-rays connected to the big TV and surround sound. The idea of watching one on a PC monitor is mental. And the days of disc backups are over, hard drives cost practically nothing per GB.
well, if and when games start to come on three or more dvds as standard, do you not see the value in having it as an option?

do you love crappy 720p fmv in your PC games?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
plagiarize said:
well, if and when games start to come on three or more dvds as standard, do you not see the value in having it as an option?

do you love crappy 720p fmv in your PC games?

I haven't bought a PC game at retail in eons.

jett said:
Agreed, it sounds terrible. The sound in Rage isn't all that great either.

No, it's pretty fucking awful actually.

The only thing I sort of like is the shotgun. Though it's a little metallic and hollow for my tastes as well.

Max

I am not Max
Is the reason I get only 20 fps because of the patch limiting video memory?

I think I should be able to run this better with a 4890, i5 750, 4gb ddr3

JRW

Has anyone noticed the game has more texture streaming problems since the patch came out?

It still runs solid 60fps but I'm noticing textures loading in a lot more often than I did before.

Even if I just stand in one spot and do a 180 and then repeat it has to keep reloading the textures every time I spin.

Before the patch I would have to move the mouse really quickly to notice any streaming, if at all, and even then they loaded in much faster than now.

Just to troubleshoot I tried disabling gpu transcoding, lowering Texture cache,Anisotropic and Anti aliasing to minimal settings but this doesn't affect the symptom at all.

i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / 6GB
GTX 480 w/ 285.38 driver
Win 7 64

JRW said:
Has anyone noticed the game has more texture streaming problems since the patch came out?

It still runs solid 60fps but I'm noticing textures loading in a lot more often than I did before.

Even if I just stand in one spot and do a 180 and then repeat it has to keep reloading the textures every time I spin.

Before the patch I would have to move the mouse really quickly to notice any streaming, if at all, and even then they loaded in much faster than now.

Just to troubleshoot I tried disabling gpu transcoding, lowering Texture cache,Anisotropic and Anti aliasing to minimal settings but this doesn't affect the symptom at all.

i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / 6GB
GTX 480 w/ 285.38 driver
Win 7 64

I kind of felt the same way. I figured it was my eyes adjusting, but who knows.

Hey guys, I just tried to change the AA from 4x to 2x and now the screen just went all White and I had to close the game, now when I open it it just goes to a white screen and the game crashes... how can this be caused by the AA settings?

Can anyone tell me what line I need to put in the cfg file to change the AA setting back up to 4x?

Cheers!

Wallach

ColonialRaptor said:
Hey guys, I just tried to change the AA from 4x to 2x and now the screen just went all White and I had to close the game, now when I open it it just goes to a white screen and the game crashes... how can this be caused by the AA settings?

Can anyone tell me what line I need to put in the cfg file to change the AA setting back up to 4x?

Cheers!

Use the +com_safemode 1 launch property in Steam to launch it with default settings, then change what you need to. Make sure to remove it the next time you launch it after that.

No idea what happened with your case, though. You're not forcing AA through drivers right?

Wallach said:
Use the +com_safemode 1 launch property in Steam to launch it with default settings, then change what you need to. Make sure to remove it the next time you launch it after that.

No idea what happened with your case, though. You're not forcing AA through drivers right?

I'll check CCC but I don't believe I'm forcing, I never do, generally find it screws with performance, and thanks for that line of code.

No idea what happened either!?

If all else fails I'll install the game again... but I hope that doesn't mean a re-download :/

jett

D-Member
Checked the game out on a friend's MBP with a 6750m, game ran fine without any glitches. Doesn't hold a perfect 60fps(which is weird), but there's no texture corruption, noticeable texture streaming, stuttering or severe framerate loss. Set Anisotropic to high and texture cache to large, 1650x1050.

Why am I having such a hard time with ATI's crap. :| Why the hell do I have to disable a cpu thread to get Catalyst AI to work.

Top Bottom