• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Slackbladder said:
I should have said, this is on PC. I'm going to plug my PC HDMI into my amp and see if that works.

Let me know how you get on.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jett said:
Checked the game out on a friend's MBP with a 6750m, game ran fine without any glitches. Doesn't hold a perfect 60fps(which is weird), but there's no texture corruption, noticeable texture streaming, stuttering or severe framerate loss. Set Anisotropic to high and texture cache to large, 1650x1050.

Why am I having such a hard time with ATI's crap. :| Why the hell do I have to disable a cpu thread to get Catalyst AI to work.

Your issues are a not-so-subtle push to have you switch to "Team Green". :p

I finally got the game to work without texture corruption and a solid 60fps. All it took was me to reinstall windows lol.

I was on Windows 7 32bit and no matter what I did I couldn't get the game to run correctly. I uninstalled every last trace of ATI's drivers over and over but nothing would get the it to run properly. I installed Windows 7 64 bit and the game absolutely flies now. No issues whatsoever.

Q6600 @ 3Ghz
4GB

Gunjin

jett said:
AMD?

You have to do two things: enable Catalyst AI, and then run the Rage executable with this command '+jobs_numThreads 0'(without the apostrophes). That should make it playable.

Yup, a 4890. However, this tip has worked better than the dozen or so others I had tried so thanks for that Jett.
Unfortunately, the game is still laggy enough to impact gameplay while texture po-up and low quality near-distance textures (even with large texture cache enabled) make it all disappointingly ugly. I'm still going to park this for a few months so id/ATI patches can make it enjoyable rather than painful to play on my current rig.

Parl

How well will a Llano A6 A3500 play Rage at 1280x1024? And how at 1080p?

Curious if could get away with it on a budget build, or will a X3 455 CPU with reason discrete graphics be much better?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally got the game to work properly.

+jobs_numThreads 0 did the trick. I tried this before and it caused a very low framerate, but this time, it actually didn't have any impact on performance. No more hitching and a perfect 60 fps.

I still don't trust it, though, as it seems to change each and every day. It's such a delicate game. The smallest changes can cause it to go from working well to becoming unplayable.

@ID_AA_Carmack If RAGE for the PC had been done with DirectX rather than OpenGL, would we have had all the same problems?

@karehaqt we probably will try a PC D3D port before D4 is done to see if it magically works better. Worry about the tex updates, though.

Magically?!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, the PC gaming world has basically abandoned OpenGL so I'm not surprised he's running into more issues. The video card vendors have less incentive to deliver optimized OpenGL drivers, I suppose, and that might be part of the issue.

I'd love to hear why exactly they stuck with OpenGL for Rage.

Peterthumpa

dark10x said:
Well, the PC gaming world has basically abandoned OpenGL so I'm not surprised he's running into more issues. The video card vendors have less incentive to deliver optimized OpenGL drivers, I suppose, and that might be part of the issue.

Performance.

dark10x said:

There was this sometime earlier this year: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/03/11/carmack-directx-better-opengl/1

Carmack said:
'It is really just inertia that keeps us on OpenGL at this point,' Carmack told us. He also explained that the developer has no plans to move over to Direct3D, despite its advantages.

'OpenGL still works fine,' said Carmack, 'and we wouldn’t get any huge benefits by making the switch, so I can’t work up much enthusiasm for cleaning it out of our codebase. If it was just a matter of the game code, we could quite quickly produce a DirectX PC executable, but all of our tool code has to share resources with the game renderer, and I wouldn’t care to go over all of that for a dubious win.'

Salsa

k so im continuing my playthrough after the patch and ugh.. its hard, man.

i have my config file, tried launch options, deleting all of these, making them again from scratch, cache folder, huge etc and nope, nada. Texture streaming is just back and worst than ever with this late patch, fuck this shit.

Everytime i take out my sniper and come back from the zoom every texture needs to load again, its beyond annoying. I was enjoying the fuck out of this game and ruining that experience mid-playthrough is the worst possible thing that could have happened :/ so bummed. Patch absolutely ruined the game for me, looked gorgeous, ran great, now its shit.

JRW

SalsaShark said:
k so im continuing my playthrough after the patch and ugh.. its hard, man.

i have my config file, tried launch options, deleting all of these, making them again from scratch, cache folder, huge etc and nope, nada. Texture streaming is just back and worst than ever with this late patch, fuck this shit.

Everytime i take out my sniper and come back from the zoom every texture needs to load again, its beyond annoying. I was enjoying the fuck out of this game and ruining that experience mid-playthrough is the worst possible thing that could have happened :/ so bummed. Patch absolutely ruined the game for me, looked gorgeous, ran great, now its shit.

I hear ya I had 0 texture loading issues before the patch and now even when I try to ignore it just keeps happening way to often, It's rather distracting and im using Nvidia (GTX 480 w/ 285.38 driver). Most cvar values are ignored since the patch came out so im not even sure what works anymore in rageconfig.cfg

GuessWho

really want this game on pc, but man this game is giving pc master race a bad reputation. Look at all the trouble to play the game. geez will wait before getting it.

GuessWho said:
really want this game on pc, but man this game is giving pc master race a bad reputation. Look at all the trouble to play the game. geez will wait before getting it.

This doesn't look like a PC problem to me. Looks more like a developer problem. I don't see any other companies have this much trouble building engines that work for PS3/360 and the PC. Carmack has lost his touch and has been passed by...well pretty much by everybody considering no one else has their engines perform this poorly with this many problems on PC.

Sad to see him fall this far really.

JRW said:
I hear ya I had 0 texture loading issues before the patch and now even when I try to ignore it just keeps happening way to often, It's rather distracting and im using Nvidia (GTX 480 w/ 285.38 driver). Most cvar values are ignored since the patch came out so im not even sure what works anymore in rageconfig.cfg

My experience was that, when I launched the game for the first time, it was a complete mess. The framerate was utter shit, texture pop-in was atrocious, there was no V-sync, and the textures were poor. I was pissed. After scrounging this thread and the Steam forums, I implemented a few fixes and had the game running essentially perfect the next day.

Then the patches started.

If id had just implemented an interface for putting on the fixes the fans found, the game would essentially be perfect now. But no. Instead, they cherry picked what they wanted to implement, and it ruined my perfect texture streaming. Now the game still runs OK, but the fact that my framerate is choppier and the textures are worse than they were with my fan fixes is kind of pissing me off.

Like has been said, the fact that the game seems to be so fickle, and that patches have a good chance of worsening instead of improving the experience--that should have been there on day one, might I add--is immensely frustrating. At this point, I'm 11 hours in and I think RAGE is a good-to-great game. But I'm questioning whether, in a season with so many amazing games coming out, and as someone with such a huge backlog as myself, is it really worth all of this hassle to finish it?

I'm also worried that the "lesson" Carmack will learn from this launch is going to be "PC gamers are whiny and ungrateful, and it's not worth the effort to port to PC anymore", instead of "make sure our shit runs well and is customizable at launch". I'm not even one of the people who's bitching that it was made for 360 and ported to PC. I'm actually fine with that. Just make sure that it's well optimized and include industry-stand options for PC gamers.

I feel really sorry for you guys having problems. Of all people that should have problems, it's me with my almost 2.5 year old MacBook Pro. Yet, it runs at 1920x1080 at near 60fps. No issues.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I H8 Memes said:
This doesn't look like a PC problem to me. Looks more like a developer problem. I don't see any other companies have this much trouble building engines that work for PS3/360 and the PC. Carmack has lost his touch and has been passed by...well pretty much by everybody considering no one else has their engines perform this poorly with this many problems on PC.

Sad to see him fall this far really.

I don't think he cared about PC, thus didn't put any effort. If he cared the game would be perfect on PC. But it's just a box that needs to be ticked for him.

Used to following config file, modified slightly from the steam forums. Set texture cache and filtering to high and vsync on. Game looks and runs incredible on 6970, zero popin, taring or stuttering.

//HD Config v2.0 By FusedCore
echo "^1 Loading the HD Config v2.0 by FusedCore..."
//cvar_restart //use this setting to use the games default settings
cvaradd s_lockListener -1; seta s_lockListener 0; echo "^1Setting the Cvar listener to unlock the settings so this game can use the config..."
seta jobs_numThreads 1; echo "^1Setting the threads..." //CPU Threads Use 0-12 for the number of threads your system has. Lower Numbers are better and Use this only if your having Stuttering or hanging.
seta com_videoRam "2048"; echo "^1Setting the Video memory size..." //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MB
//cvaradd com_synctotime -1; echo "^1Disabling the framelimiter..." //Use this command to disable the 60fps locker
//seta com_maxfps "60"; echo "^1Setting the fps to your settings..." //limits the frames to 60 can be changed to what you desire
seta fc_maxcachememoryMB 1536; echo "^1Setting the File Cache size..." //Increases the default file cache size to completely eliminate the popins
seta image_anisotropy "16"; echo "^1Setting the Ansistropy Filtering..." //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
seta image_usecompression 0; echo "^1Disabling the Image Compression..."
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"; echo "^1Setting the image filtering..."
seta image_blend "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"; echo "^1Setting the image blending"
seta image_preload "1"; echo "^1Enabling preloaded Images..."//Use preload images when ever possible
seta image_lodbias "-1"; echo "^1Setting the image LoD..." //LoD settings
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"; echo "^1Setting the HQ images..." //Sets up for using HQ gfx
seta image_ignoreLowQuality "1" echo "^1Setting the LQ images..." //ignores the low textures
seta image_useCache "1"; echo "^1Setting the image cache..." //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without popping
seta image_cacheMegs "2048"; echo "^1Setting the cache maxsize..." //Cache size in Megabytes
seta image_cacheMinK "10"; echo "^1Setting the cache minsize..." //Cache minimum size in kilobytes
seta r_aspectRatio "2"; echo "^1Setting the Aspect Ratio..." // 0=4:3, 1=16:9, 2=16:10, 3=5:4 TFT, -1 custom
seta r_fullscreen "1"; echo "^1Setting the fullscreen option..."
//seta r_customAspectRatioV "10"
//seta r_customAspectRatioH "16"
seta r_swapInterval 1; echo "^1Setting the Vsync option..." //VSYNC 1 enabled, 0 diabled
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "1"; echo "^1Setting the HQ post proccessing..." //Fore High Quality post proccessing
seta r_shadowsHighQuality "1"; echo "^1Setting the HQ Shadows..." //Fore High Quality shadows
seta r_displayRefresh "0" //keep it so the engine doesn't double render a frame
seta r_renderer "best" //highest rendering options
seta r_multiSamples "32"; echo "^1Setting the MultiSampling..." //Set this to 16 or 8 if you're having low-fps as 32 is the Max Multi-sampling
seta r_useHBAO "1"; echo "^1Setting the Ambient occlusion..."
seta r_useRenderThread "0" // 0 Disable or 1 Enable threaded rendering useful for newer cards to increase performance.
seta r_visDistMult "1"
seta r_useMotionBlur "1"; echo "^1Setting the Motion Blur..." //use blur
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_shadows "1"; echo "^1Setting the Shadows..."
seta r_cgFragmentProfile "best"
seta r_cgVertexProfile "best"
seta vt_lodBias "-1"; echo "^1Setting the Visual Texture LoD..." //LoD settings
//below is cache settings And advanced GFX settings
echo "^1Setting the Textures type..."
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"
seta vt_maxPPF 64; echo "^1Setting the Pages per file..." //Set this to 64 for Quad-cores CPU's or higher, 16 or 8 for dual-cores CPU's
seta vt_preload "1"; echo "^1Setting the Visual Textures to Preload..."
//Begin Advanced GFX Filtering and Sharper Images. Comment these 3 lines out if you are having issues or don't like the way it looks.
echo "^1Setting the Visual Texture Filters"
//seta vt_filter "GL_NEAREST, GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
seta vt_envf "GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE"
seta vt_blend "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
//End of Advanced GFX Filtering
seta vt_useCache "1"; echo "^1Setting the Visual texture cache..."
seta vt_cacheMegs "1024"; echo "^1Setting the cache maxsize..."
seta vt_cacheMinK "10"; echo "^1Setting the cache minsize..."
seta vt_ignoreHighQuality "0"; echo "^1Setting the HQ Visual Texture..."
seta vt_ignoreLowQuality "1"; echo "^1Setting the LQ Visual Texture..."
//Begin HD Settings
echo "^1 -Loading the HD Settings..."
seta vt_qualityhdplossless "1"
seta vt_qualityhdppower "1"
seta vt_qualityhdpspecular "1"
seta vt_qualityhdpnormal "0"
seta vt_qualityhdpdiffuse "1"
seta vt_qualitydctpower "100"
seta vt_qualitydctspecular "100"
seta vt_qualitydctnormal "100"
seta vt_qualitydctchroma "100"
seta vt_qualitydctluma "100"
seta vt_maxlockedpages "2048"
//HD Image settings
seta image_qualityhdplossless "1"
seta image_qualityhdppower "1"
seta image_qualityhdpspecular "1"
seta image_qualityhdpnormal "0"
seta image_qualityhdpdiffuse "1"
seta image_qualitydctpower "100"
seta image_qualitydctspecular "100"
seta image_qualitydctnormal "100"
seta image_qualitydctchroma "100"
seta image_qualitydctluma "100"
seta image_maxlockedpages "1024"
//End HD Settings
echo "^1 -HD Settings Loaded..."
//seta vt_maxaniso 4; echo "^1Setting the Visual Texture anisotropy..." //Set this to 0 if your having lots screen tarring issues and do NOT set this higher then 4 otherwise it will corrupt the Mega-Textures
echo "^1-If you Have seen NO Unknowns above this line then it has all been Loaded without errors-"
echo "^1 ...HD Config v2.0 by FusedCore Loaded, Enjoy the game!!!"

DyslexicAlucard said:
My experience was that, when I launched the game for the first time, it was a complete mess. The framerate was utter shit, texture pop-in was atrocious, there was no V-sync, and the textures were poor. I was pissed. After scrounging this thread and the Steam forums, I implemented a few fixes and had the game running essentially perfect the next day.

Then the patches started.

If id had just implemented an interface for putting on the fixes the fans found, the game would essentially be perfect now. But no. Instead, they cherry picked what they wanted to implement, and it ruined my perfect texture streaming. Now the game still runs OK, but the fact that my framerate is choppier and the textures are worse than they were with my fan fixes is kind of pissing me off.

Like has been said, the fact that the game seems to be so fickle, and that patches have a good chance of worsening instead of improving the experience--that should have been there on day one, might I add--is immensely frustrating. At this point, I'm 11 hours in and I think RAGE is a good-to-great game. But I'm questioning whether, in a season with so many amazing games coming out, and as someone with such a huge backlog as myself, is it really worth all of this hassle to finish it?

I'm also worried that the "lesson" Carmack will learn from this launch is going to be "PC gamers are whiny and ungrateful, and it's not worth the effort to port to PC anymore", instead of "make sure our shit runs well and is customizable at launch". I'm not even one of the people who's bitching that it was made for 360 and ported to PC. I'm actually fine with that. Just make sure that it's well optimized and include industry-stand options for PC gamers.

That's fine, if they're going to release terrible ports on PC they're simply losing themselves money.

rallyart

Neo Member
TOAO_Cyrus said:
Used to following config file, modified slightly from the steam forums. Set texture cache and filtering to high and vsync on. Game looks and runs incredible on 6970, zero popin, taring or stuttering.

cvaradd s_lockListener -1; seta s_lockListener 0; echo "^1Setting the Cvar listener to unlock the settings so this game can use the config..."
seta jobs_numThreads 1; echo "^1Setting the threads..." //CPU Threads Use 0-12 for the number of threads your system has. Lower Numbers are better and Use this only if your having Stuttering or hanging.
seta com_videoRam "2048"; echo "^1Setting the Video memory size..." //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MB
//cvaradd com_synctotime -1; echo "^1Disabling the framelimiter..." //Use this command to disable the 60fps locker
//seta com_maxfps "60"; echo "^1Setting the fps to your settings..." //limits the frames to 60 can be changed to what you desire
seta fc_maxcachememoryMB 1536; echo "^1Setting the File Cache size..." //Increases the default file cache size to completely eliminate the popins
seta image_anisotropy "16"; echo "^1Setting the Ansistropy Filtering..." //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"; echo "^1Setting the image filtering..."
seta image_preload "1"; echo "^1Enabling preloaded Images..."//Use preload images when ever possible
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"; echo "^1Setting the HQ images..." //Sets up for using HQ gfx
seta image_ignoreLowQuality "1" echo "^1Setting the LQ images..." //ignores the low textures
seta image_useCache "1"; echo "^1Setting the image cache..." //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without popping
seta image_cacheMegs "2048"; echo "^1Setting the cache maxsize..." //Cache size in Megabytes
seta image_cacheMinK "10"; echo "^1Setting the cache minsize..." //Cache minimum size in kilobytes
seta r_aspectRatio "2"; echo "^1Setting the Aspect Ratio..." // 0=4:3, 1=16:9, 2=16:10, 3=5:4 TFT, -1 custom
seta r_swapInterval 1; echo "^1Setting the Vsync option..." //VSYNC 1 enabled, 0 diabled
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "1"; echo "^1Setting the HQ post proccessing..." //Fore High Quality post proccessing
seta r_shadowsHighQuality "1"; echo "^1Setting the HQ Shadows..." //Fore High Quality shadows
seta r_multiSamples "32"; echo "^1Setting the MultiSampling..." //Set this to 16 or 8 if you're having low-fps as 32 is the Max Multi-sampling
seta r_useRenderThread "0" // 0 Disable or 1 Enable threaded rendering useful for newer cards to increase performance.
seta r_visDistMult "1"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta vt_maxPPF 64; echo "^1Setting the Pages per file..." //Set this to 64 for Quad-cores CPU's or higher, 16 or 8 for dual-cores CPU's
//Begin Advanced GFX Filtering and Sharper Images. Comment these 3 lines out if you are having issues or don't like the way it looks.
//Begin HD Settings
//HD Image settings
//End HD Settings
//seta vt_maxaniso 4; echo "^1Setting the Visual Texture anisotropy..." //Set this to 0 if your having lots screen tarring issues and do NOT set this higher then 4 otherwise it will corrupt the Mega-Textures
echo "^1-If you Have seen NO Unknowns above this line then it has all been Loaded without errors-"

So, for a perfect and smooth gameplay I only have to put this on rageconfig.cfg, even with quotes and everything???

My rig:

i7 920 @ 3.8 ghz
MSI GTX580 Lightning 1.5 gb
6gb ram

Thanks

rallyart said:
So, for a perfect and smooth gameplay I only have to put this on rageconfig.cfg, even with quotes and everything???

Thanks

It depends on what configuration you have. The settings above are meant for 1+G VRAM cards and quad core CPUs.
You might want to change image_anisotropy to something like 4 at max. Everything above that makes the model have some ugly texture seams appear (at least on an ATI card).

If you still experience very heavy texture popins or even worse, missing textures (black/blue blocks), you might have to turn down the vt_pageimagesize... settings.
The first to start is vt_pageimagesizevmtr, which I would recommend to set to 4096 regardless. vmtr is used for the textures of your weapons when drawn and there is almost no difference between 4k/8k settings.
On the other hand, if you have 2G vram, you can set those values 16384 for some more fidelity.

Just for comparison sake, here is my config for an iMac (i7, AMD Radeon HD 6900M 1G VRAM) which runs pretty flawless except for some minor stutters here and there.

fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 4096
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

My config is a bit redundant, though. If you set the ingame texture option to "Large", you'll get the exact same settings that I have here, except for aniso being set to 2.
I'd also recommend to set vsync either to "Smart" or "On" if you experience tearing.

Pimpbaa

I H8 Memes said:
. Carmack has lost his touch and has been passed by...well pretty much by everybody considering no one else has their engines perform this poorly with this many problems on PC.

LOL, there are far worse ports than this game, far far worse. Most of the issues with this game are issues with amd's drivers. In fact, this game has performed much better than most console ports lately on my system. Hell, compared to something like Dead Island (was probably THE worst launch on PC this year), Rage looks relatively bug free in comparison.

so i cant seem to keep vsync on in the menu even after checking my nvidia control panel and selecting "use 3d application settings" am i doing something wrong?

Wallach

Domcorleone said:
so i cant seem to keep vsync on in the menu even after checking my nvidia control panel and selecting "use 3d application settings" am i doing something wrong?

Latest nvidia driver creates a Rage profile under Game Profiles that sets vsync off specifically for RAGE, so turn that off.

TOAO_Cyrus said:

seta r_visDistMult "1"
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
//Begin HD Settings
//HD Image settings
//End HD Settings

i have a 580 3gb should I put my video ram higher than you have it? If so what should I put it at? thanks

Dmax3901

So I can run Witcher 2 at high/ultra with on average 40fps and BF3 beta at high with 30+ fps. With Rage, at the moment I'm getting a slideshow with the lowest config from steam forums :/.

HD 6950 1gb, 4gb RAM, E5300 dual core.
My processor is definitely the problem but based on the games I mentioned I figured I'd get better performance out of RAGE, any ideas?

Fxp

Dmax3901 said:
So I can run Witcher 2 at high/ultra with on average 40fps and BF3 beta at high with 30+ fps. With Rage, at the moment I'm getting a slideshow with the lowest config from steam forums :/.

HD 6950 1gb, 4gb RAM, E5300 dual core.
My processor is definitely the problem but based on the games I mentioned I figured I'd get better performance out of RAGE, any ideas?

Add +jobs_numThreads 0 to RAGE shortcut, got the same problem with my dual core CPU.

Dmax3901

Fxp said:
Add +jobs_numThreads 0 to RAGE shortcut, got the same problem with my dual core CPU.

Ok apologies for the silly question, but where exactly do I put '+jobs_numThreads 0 '? I assume properties on the shortcut but then where?

EDIT: The lowest config from Steam has +jobs_numThreads 0 already :/

Maybe I haven't integrated the rageconfig.cfg properly?

Fxp

Dmax3901 said:
Ok apologies for the silly question, but where exactly do I put '+jobs_numThreads 0 '? I assume properties on the shortcut but then where?

EDIT: The lowest config from Steam has +jobs_numThreads 0 already :/

Maybe I haven't integrated the rageconfig.cfg properly?

Mine looks like that:

C:\RAGE\Rage.exe +jobs_numThreads 0 +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +vt_maxPPF 8

angular graphics said:
I think they could have made additional detail maps to enhance the detail of the core megatextures eg when you get straight up next to a wall, the detail map would add additional definition to the underlying surface of the megatexture, and I suspect the only reason they didn't do this is to maintain 60fps on consoles. If the tech is compatible with something like what I said, it would make a big difference IMO..

Also given that something like Crysis 2, has <500mb dedicated for all kinds of textures, I don't think that the lack of detail maps was that they didn't have space for them. Either the tech is incompatible with them, or there was no memory/rendering power to hit 60fps on consoles if they would include them.. Here's hoping for Doom 4..

http://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/124916837791186945

Carmack said:
We have a bicubic-upsample+detail texture option for the next PC patch that will help alleviate the blurry textures in Rage.

Soooo.. was I right?

Deadbeat

Banned
SalsaShark said:
called that
So all the bullshit about the textures being so high quality and them having to be downgraded to fit on all these discs was pr garbage? even if they had the space they would still be this low res?
Gvaz said:
hahahaha they made tiny textures and simply stretched them to fit, fucking lol
yeah pretty much.

jett

D-Member
Deadbeat said:
So all the bullshit about the textures being so high quality and them having to be downgraded to fit on all these discs was pr garbage? even if they had the space they would still be this low res?

yeah pretty much.

You're twisting Carmack's words. The textures are super compressed in the game, some of them filled to the brim with macroblocking. That's how they were downgraded. The texture resolution has always been the same.

Top Bottom