• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ralph Macchio is now the same age that Pat Morita was in the first ‘Karate Kid’

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't mean to cause an existential crisis for any children of the '80s out there, but we felt it was worth noting that Daniel is now as old as Mr. Miyagi was upon the release of "The Karate Kid" (1984).

Yeah, a tweet made today by Roadside Attractions pointed out that Ralph Macchio is 51 ... and so was Noriyuki 'Pat' Morita, once upon a time, even though his infinite wit and wisdom made him seem like he was at least a thousand years old.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/wanna-feel-old-ralph-macchio-now-same-age-013255154.html

karate-kid_poster.jpg

karatekid-jpg_011533.jpg

29852069.jpg

BigDug13

I think nothing makes a guy look older than grey facial hair. I'm sure if Pat had shaved, or "just for men'd" his facial hair, he wouldn't have looked 70.

Who gives a Sh-... now now calm down Winter, Thread whining is bannable.

Man times makes fools of all of us. I hope I get to live a long prosperous life.

Cheerilee

Daniel is now as old as Mr. Miyagi was

So Daniel was 22 years old in that movie? I was under the impression he was a teenager. I guess that's why he got beat up so much.

Also, Mr Miyagi was 6-12 years old when he got married and fought Nazis in WW2? What a freaking badass. Kids these days...

KHarvey16

Ridley327

Hilary Swank was so fucking hot in The Next Karate Kid. The only redeeming feature of that awful piece of shit. At least it was better than the KK remake.

I saw a little bit of it last night while I was having dinner. It was nice of the director to let an epileptic shoot the fight scenes.

Never got the KK remake hat. It was pretty fun and the evil kids would kill Cobra Kai.

It was a cringe-worthy remake that just tried to ape all the scenes from the original film, only in a much stupider way. Jayden Smith was also completely unlikeable and Jackie Chan's Miyagi clone had zero personality. It was a hollow remake without any of the charms or understanding of the original film.

Bleepey

It was a cringe-worthy remake that just tried to ape all the scenes from the original film, only in a much stupider way. Jayden Smith was also completely unlikeable and Jackie Chan's Miyagi clone had zero personality. It was a hollow remake without any of the charms or understanding of the original film.

This man is completely wrong about pretty much everything in his post.

Jackie Chan was 55 and Jaden was 12, so the age gap from the first movie is larger, Jackie will be dead when Jaden hit 55...

Opiate

I like how the author says he doesn't intend to cause an existential crisis, when that is the only ostensible reason this news would be posted.

On what grounds could this information possibly be considered newsworthy, other than to cause 80s kids to say, "Wow, I feel old?"

Instead of that piece of shit remake, they should've just gone with Ralph Macchio as a karate teacher to a troubled youth, having Daniel passing the knowledge taught to him by Miyagi. I would've respected that much more, even if it failed to live up to the name.

Raistlin

I like how the author says he doesn't intend to cause an existential crisis, when that is the only ostensible reason this news would be posted.

On what grounds could this information possibly be considered newsworthy, other than to cause 80s kids to say, "Wow, I feel old?"

Seriously. Prefixing this 'news' with "don't mean to cause an existential crisis" is the pretentious equivalent of calling us old and ending with "just kidding".

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This movie came out the year I was born and I'm nearly 30. :p

I think if you're old enough to feel old from this, you'd already have a lot more clues in your life making you feel old :p

Fusebox

Banned
Jesus this is just another nail in my freaking coffin...

When do I buy a rocking chair and when do I move it outside to my porch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom