• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the PlayStation Showcase

Rate the PlayStation Showcase

• It was fantastic

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 53 7.1%
  • It was okay

Votes: 194 26.1%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 199 26.7%
  • It was poor

Votes: 151 20.3%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 131 17.6%

• Total voters

DJ12

I liked it, not a lot of games for me, but love that Sony still back all projects big and small and throw them in these big shows.

Was exactly what I was hoping for to be honest, a diverse showing of games.

jorgejjvr

WY6SKQN.png

Nicktendo86

In all honesty my desire to buy a ps5 this year has now been pushed back another year. There still isn’t enough unique content to justify the price and this showcase hasn’t affected that for me, sadly. Ah well, I still have a massive ps3/ps4 backlog.

Lokaum D+

At the point that spider-man 2 dropped i couldnt care less, 95% was multiplat, trailers and no dates, for a Sony Showcase 2/10

Last edited:

GooseMan69

It is one of the most disappointing showcases I have ever seen, on par with $599 US dollars, that Wii E3 (forgot what year), and Xbox One TV. Only this one didn’t have the funny memes like those ones did.

What a flaming dumpster fire. Literally just GAAS, Indie, Not Actual Gameplay, and PSVR2. They waited til the very end to throw people a bone with Spider Man. MGS 3 would’ve been an awesome reveal if it was actual gameplay. Alan Wake 2, that Chinese game, and the new Ass creed look alright I guess. Whatever.

No Naughty Dog or Death Stranding 2. Unbelievably disappointing

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
People are mental. Alan Wake 2, Talos Principle 2, Spidey 2, Helldivers 2, Phantom Blade Zero and FFXVI all looked fantastic! Some of those games are worth the price of admission alone. I mean... Talos FUCKING Principle TWO? Hello?! Let alone all of the other 'smaller' games that seem to be punching well above their weight such as The Plucky Squire, Cat Quest, Sword of the Sea, Towers of Aghasba, etc. Hell, even Assassins Creed looks interesting as it seems to be returning to its roots which is a very welcome change. The MGS3 remake announcement was a nice cherry on top as well.

As someone who grew up with MS DOS games I'm astonished by the diverse and incredible looking games that we're getting as of late. This showcase was another reminder that we're eating good and that the medium is truly maturing.

The only downer for me being Marathon which admittedly was a cool announcement but unfortunately turned out to be a PVP extraction shooter. I mean I get why and it's probably the best business decision, I imagine, but I would've loved to have a modern take on the boomer shooter from Bungie themselves. Still cautiously optimistic though.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Average showcase. They showed variety which they do well with. I think people set themselves up too high and when you allow the hype to control your expectations then you have yourself to blame.

And were left with s bunch of games coming with wondering what they have up their sleeve from their talented studios.

A good position to be as they don't have to blow their load and know what to do.

If anyone wants to spin it based on their internet savvy then they are the fool.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
its quite bad actually.

Besides spiderman amd Marathon, there isnt any new first party IP announced here?
Quite a number of GaaS.
Alot of CGI trailer.
And quite alot of 3rd parties/ indies (not saying they are bad, im actually very interested in a few)

It feels like it doesnt need a playstation showcase.

Last edited:

farmerboy

+ Saw a lot of stuff with good variety.
+ Spidey looks really good.
- lack of 1 or 2 extra 1st party stuff

Okay overall. Could of been real good with ND showing something.

Okay doesn't mean its a complete shit show. Its okay.

DarthPutin

I guess it was... ok. Dissapointing after two years and in light of another long wait. If they had showcases every half a year it'd be fine, but we know it's not the case.

Some nice 3d party games for sure. Phantom Blade and DD2 especially looked awesome, some cute indies, RE VR looks amazing.

But I really hoped that showcase would put speculation about at least SOME 1st party studios to rest, heh. Now the endless conversation continues. :messenger_grinning_smiling: Even with Firewalk's game we're basically none the wiser! What was that even?..

Not a big deal, but today's one of the days when I especially could use fixer-upper...

kingfish

its quite bad actually.

Besides spiderman amd Marathon, there isnt any new first party IP announced here?
Quite a number of GaaS.
Alot of CGI trailer.
And quite alot of 3rd parties/ indies (not saying they are bad, im actually very interested in a few)

It feels like it doesnt need a playstation showcase.
Fairgame$ and Concord?

I really can't wait for Plucky Squire to come out. I'm really excited for Phantom Blade 0, MGS3 Remake and really a bunch of other games as well.

Spiderman 2 is a franchise I really don't care about so I would have preferred a new trailer for FF7 Rebirth instead of what felt like 10 mins of Spiderman

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
People are mental. Alan Wake 2, Talos Principle 2, Spidey 2, Helldivers 2, Phantom Blade Zero and FFXVI all looked fantastic! Some of those games are worth the price of admission alone. I mean... Talos FUCKING Principle TWO? Hello?! Let alone all of the other 'smaller' games that seem to be punching well above their weight such as The Plucky Squire, Cat Quest, Sword of the Sea, Towers of Aghasba, etc. Hell, even Assassins Creed looks interesting as it seems to be returning to its roots which is a very welcome change. The MGS3 remake announcement was a nice cherry on top as well.
Alan Wake 2, Talos, Phantom Blade, FFXVI, Plucky Squire, Neva, Ghost Runner II, Dragon's Dogma II - yes they all looked amazing. They are also all third party multiplatform games. A few being "timed exclusive".

Now let's look at the first party games.
FairGames, Concord, and Marathon - which are all GAAS games with CGI only. They are all utter trash.
HellDivers II - COOP and looks decently fun.
Spider-Man 2 - Looks like a glorified expansion and like a PS4 game.
Project Q and Earbuds - Trash.

They failed in the one thing people needed to see at this event: First Party Exclusives.

As someone who grew up with MS DOS games I'm astonished by the diverse and incredible looking games that we're getting as of late. This showcase was another reminder that we're eating good and that the medium is truly maturing.
We are in a very good spot with third party games. It is what is holding up this generation. It clearly isn't first party games from Sony and MS (and I don't consider Switch a current gen system).

ungalo

Let's be fair if we take it as a normal showcase i think it's okay.

It's just that it was supposed to be big and it wasn't + the best games were third party releasing on Xbox + some first party looked like shitty GAAS which is a bad sign.

BbMajor7th

Dragons Dogma 2 was welcome, but honestly, this lacked bite. You can talk about people getting 'too hyped' but the whole point of a show like this is to generate excitement, to build a sense of momentum around the platform and give players the confidence to invest.

Vague teasers for games that have no substantial form (Concord, Marathon) games that are due to release in a few weeks (SFVI, FFXVI), games coming to other platforms (most of them); games that don't push technical boundaries, games from studios with no significant pedigree... none of these are going to generate that excitement and that was all they had to show.

They might all be good games, but a show like this needs the wow factor - it just didn't have it.

Fbh

This showcase has sort of sold me on just sticking with Ps+ extra.
95% of the stuff shown just looks like a "wait for a sale" to me, might as well just wait for them to come to the subscription service while I buy the 1-2 games a year that actually interest me enough to get at launch.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dragons Dogma 2 was welcome, but honestly, this lacked bite. You can talk about people getting 'too hyped' but the whole point of a show like this is to generate excitement, to build a sense of momentum around the platform and give players the confidence to invest.

Vague teasers for games that have no substantial form (Concord, Marathon) games that are due to release in a few weeks (SFVI, FFXVI), games coming to other platforms (most of them); games that don't push technical boundaries, games from studios with no significant pedigree... none of these are going to generate that excitement and that was all they had to show.

They might all be good games, but a show like this needs the wow factor - it just didn't have it.

Seriously. A press event like this should get me excited to play games, especially on that platform. I remember in 2015 after the Sony event, I wanted to play on my PS4. After the Nintendo event, I wanted to play on my Switch. At the Xbox event, I wanted to play on my Xbox One.

I just feel bored and empty from this presentation.

Two grades: Okay and Good

Okay
: After two years, I thought they'd show more of what their 1st party teams are doing. Am I crazy for thinking that? I don't think so. They better have another showcase later this year to update us, or I'll be disappointed. Am I worried? No. It's not like those 1st party teams were shut down... they just didn't show up, why? I have no idea.

Good: There were some really interesting stuff there, 3rd party? Sure, but I love 3rd party games. Most of what ppl play are 3rd party games. My most anticipated game for this year, after that showcase, is now The Plucky Squire. That thing looks fucking incredible. That game looks like something that Nintendo was going to make but these guys beat them to it. Honestly, I can't believe that game doesn't have more hype around it. I swear if that game had a Nintendo in front of it, the internet would be BLOWING UP right now. But it's not... so instead it's a "nice creative indie."

Seems like a lot of that showcase was for games coming in 2023 or shortly after. If The Plucky Squire can deliver on what it's trying to do, it's going to make it on a lot of ppls GOTY lists!

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I love the hype and tears cycle for these things. Like the last million or so game showcases haven't been disappointing or something? They're built to be for everyone and not just the hardcore.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Spiderman 2 looked good

Other than that mediocre. CG trailers should NEVER be used. Even if I were interested in GAAS projects, having CG trailers isn't going to convince me

Sony's first party marketing is a real mess

I can't really judge a first party showcase on third party multiplats, most of which looked fairly solid.
MGS3 would have been a nice surprise but it got leaked, and it looked kind of shit anyway
FFXVI continues to impress me
Dragons Dogma 2 could be good but I haven't played the first
That long trailer for the samurai game was cool, forgot the name

The only reason I chose one above "very bad" is because Alan Wake 2 was there.

What a shockingly bad showcase. Contrast this to Sony's 2016 showcase.
I'm still in shock.

Yoboman

Average showcase. They showed variety which they do well with. I think people set themselves up too high and when you allow the hype to control your expectations then you have yourself to blame.

And were left with s bunch of games coming with wondering what they have up their sleeve from their talented studios.

A good position to be as they don't have to blow their load and know what to do.

If anyone wants to spin it based on their internet savvy then they are the fool.
Nah,hype is always high. This was a bad event

Sony didn't appear ready for their own event

Ev1L AuRoN

I didn't like it. CGI announcements don't do anything for me, I was expecting some surprises, and it had any, PSVR2 and indie stuff should be on state of play, not the showcase, I was expecting the new wave of firstparty games.

Is it really a shot? Let's see them not show any multiplat games
It's definitely a shot.

They definitely will show multiplat games, it just won't seem like they're multiplats cause before the trailer it'll say something like "Console (trailer) exclusive" or something like that LOL

Mr Hyde

Probably a 5. Maybe a 4. Their first party lineup was atrocious. Third party saved the day.

Highlights for me were Phantom Blade, Dragons Dogma 2, Plucky Squire and Spiderman 2. Not counting FF16 because that's already been shown off. Phantom Blade stole the show for me. Looked awesome. No release date though, not even a window, which sucks. Spiderman 2 was kinda cool. Set pieces reminded me of Naughty Dogs glory days.

Disappointed in Sony not doing anything with Bloodborne despite several rumors. I've given up at this point hoping for a remaster. It was also too much live service crap with only CGI trailers attached for most of them. Havens game you could tell right away what they were going for. "Modern" focus tested crap with the same lame character designs that's been in a gazillion games. Take a stab at capitalism too, so original. Soulless, I think is the word for that game. Firewalks game was a brief teaser. Lame. Helldivers looked boring. Seriously, this online multiplayer push is so fucking annoying and boring. It reminds me of PS3 era where Sony were desperate to produce these kinda games. And then you know Naughty Dog is also doing this shit. Sigh.

Last edited:
I didn't like it. CGI announcements don't do anything for me, I was expecting some surprises, and it had any, PSVR2 and indie stuff should be on state of play, not the showcase, I was expecting the new wave of firstparty games.
Super weird. It seems like this showcase was for their GaaS games... that weren't ready to show, so they had just CGI trailers. I hope they got another showcase, soon not a year from now, for their other stuff or I'll be disappointed.

This showcase shouldn't have existed, they should have stayed silent and just do a Spiderman showcase in June-July.

Making people think their big showcase is coming soon in like 1-2 months would have been better than doing this and having people thinking " wtf is this"

It was okay to good. Nice seeing mgs remake, Alan wake 2, some interesting indies. Spiderman 2 looked so awesome. Missing a lot of first party studios it feels, maybe they are only announcing things within a years time now?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Final shape trailer AAA+++ from me, note I didn’t watch it and was at work so not sure it said trailer was on it or not…

GooseMan69

This showcase shouldn't have existed, they should have stayed silent and just do a Spiderman showcase in June-July.

Making people think their big showcase is coming soon in like 1-2 months would have been better than doing this and having people thinking " wtf is this"

I cannot believe they hyped this up as a big showcase. They had absolutely fuck all to show other than Spider-Man.

Top Bottom