• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really LTTP, Max Payne

meanspartan

So I played and adored Max Payne 3 on PC a few years ago when it released. For some reason even though I was at the peak of my gaming life in the early 2000s (in regards to how much time I had to play games as I was in middle school/high school) I never played the original Max Payne games.

After trying and failing to collect for my first console, SNES, due to the high prices, I started collecting for probably my favorite system, the Playstation 2. Prices are nice and low as I have found several games for $2-3 at Goodwill stores and pawn shops. Yesterday, I found Max Payne.

I gotta say, it was hard to get into at first. July 2001 was a loooong time ago, and even though I have component cables for my Ps2 this game looks rough. The framerate is also absolute dogshit (though perhaps this is just due to being a bad port or something?), so the first 20 or so minutes were a struggle not to turn the system off. But, I pushed myself through. And soon enough my eyes adjusted to the 14 year old graphics and Max's dark humor laden monologues made me begin to get into the somewhat cheesy story.

Bullet time is fantastic, not as good as Max Payne 3's of course, but great considering the tech of the era. If you let yourself get over how old the game looks, the atmosphere will also start to draw you in in a way I'd argue may be even better than Max Payne 3's corrupt Rio De Janeiro setting. This is New York City at it's most desolate and hopeless and vice-filled.

I am now about 3 hours in and enjoying every second. The framerate still bugs me, and because of this I am considering switching over to PCSX2 to finish the game. The emulator will not only I assume fix the framerate issue but also allow me to up the resolution. The Ps2 component cables I bought when I started my collection are a nice improvement over the composite I used to feed into my HDTV (barf) but still not too great. I just like to play new finds at least for a bit the "right" way, on the actual console, before switching to PCSX2.

Anyway, enough of my off topic rambling.

What did you guys think of Max Payne? I'll also be playing Max Payne 2 after, found the Xbox version for $2 at Goodwill as well (wish it were Ps2 since that is what I am trying to collect for, but oh well).

YuShtink

One of my favorite shooters of all time. Sadly the PS2 version of the game was a pretty trashy port iirc. But I played through the PC version again just a couple months ago and it stands the test of time. The gunplay is still so smooth and tight.

Archurro

Just switch to the PC version, runs infinitely better than the ps2/Xbox versions.

And MP2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Incredible ending.

meanspartan

Just play the PC version. It runs great. If you have a PC that can emulate PS2 I'd wager it can run MP.

Ya I've got a rig with a 280x. My CPU is an old Phenom 2, but hasn't been an issue emulating any other Ps2 game at 4x native resolution with plenty of AA to boot. I may just go that route instead of buying the PC version of Max Payne. I'm sure it is dirt cheap, but sometimes when I play games that old I run into issues getting them to work.

I received it for Christmas one year, for PS2, and loved it. I can't remember how the port was, itself, but I don't remember having any major issues with it so there's that. It got a lot of hours of my life.

The game was a blast.

I ended up being able to play Max Payne 2 on a newer PC, which was awesome, but I always have preferred console controls.

WHACK 'IM

The game was really hard when I first played it. Now I know you need to stagger enemies by just shooting constantly, and you only dive to get into cover while reloading, or when there's only one enemy that's an immediate threat to you.

Max Payne 2 could have been better than the first game if it spent more time on the shooting instead of levels where you wander around while Max monologues, and the bullet time is incredibly overpowered.

-SD-

Banned
PC version with mouse and keyboard is perfect razor-sharp-accurate third-person shooter fun.

Same goes for Max Payne 2...
and Mafia, and Mafia 2.

Game4life

Banned
Just play the PC version. MP1 and 2 shit on Max Payne 3 from a great height. Especially MP1. Damn MP1 was soo good. One of the greatest games of all time.

I think it would take a little bit of effort (like, a fan patch in the Steam forum) to get Max Payne 1 running on the Steam version but I would definitely recommend them over the ports for consoles that Rockstar did.

meanspartan

I think it would take a little bit of effort (like, a fan patch in the Steam forum) to get Max Payne 1 running on the Steam version but I would definitely recommend them over the ports for consoles that Rockstar did.

Ya it's just that since I have PCSX2 up and running fine already, I can just up the resolution a bunch and add in antialiasing. Unless it's one of those games that just doesn't play nice with the emulator, it should be less of a headache than figuring out how to make an older game run. I could probably also map Ps2 controls to mouse and keyboard on the emulator, though I've never done that before. Gotta assume it can't be that hard.

meanspartan

PC mods make the game even better especially 2
also mp 1 and 2 amazing, 3 is shit

Just play the PC version. MP1 and 2 shit on Max Payne 3 from a great height. Especially MP1. Damn MP1 was soo good. One of the greatest games of all time.

Oh wow Max Payne 3 isn't well liked by fans of the older games huh?

I gotta say, I loved the pc version I played. The shooting was sublime to me and Max's monologues were pretty good and often funny.

I doubt I'll like Max Payne or Max Payne 2 as much as you guys do. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying this first one plenty despite it's age, but I don't think it's the same as experiencing it in it's era. I find I can enjoy old games, but the optimal experience comes playing them when they were relevant.

For instance, my avatar is from Freedom Fighters. Astounding game that I remember looking something like a 3rd person Homefront in my head (except good). Of course if I go back and play it, it doesn't look how I remember it even on PCSX2 haha. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but had I played it for the first time in 2013 instead of 2003, I would have liked it but it wouldn't me on my personal "all time" list.

Damn I ramble too much. Anyway, ya, I liked Max Payne 3 :p

Cronox

Banned
Sorry, PS2 emulation is still nowhere close to playing the game on PC. You know it was a PC game first and foremost right?

Edit: seems the main compatibility problem is sound missing in cutscenes - see here for the fix.

meanspartan

Sorry, PS2 emulation is still nowhere close to playing the game on PC. You know it was a PC game first and foremost right?

I didn't actually, I had associated it with Xbox for some reason (I have this image in my head from the Gamestop I frequented at the time with a giant Max Payne 2 Xbox poster).

If the game is really that much better on PC, that even an emulator that upscales the Ps2 version and fixes the framerate issue isn't as good, maybe I should look into it.

SURGEdude

Agreed. The PS2 version is especially tragic. Emulation will fix the framerate but not the rest of the jank.

Great game though!

Ladekabel

Played the PC-version of MP 1&2 in 2013.

Mechanically they aged pretty good. Only problem I had with the games that some levels felt too long. But this seems to be an Remedy problem. Replayed Alan Wake shortly after that and that suffered from too stretched levels, too.

Games are great. I am maybe in the minority but even if Max Payne 1&2 are still good games, in my opinion Max Payne 3 is the best in the series.

tesqui

Max Payne is fantastic! I remember playing Max Payne 2 even more though. That was my first introduction into ragdoll physics and it was fucking glorious! In 2003 this was a pretty impressive achievement.

KKRT00

Really dont understand why didnt You just pick up PC version, is superior in every way.
And why are You at it and are Matrix fan, check Matrix mods, they are amazing!

Foffy

Banned
I remember hearing somewhere that the ps2 port is trash. But then again, emulation would fix that?

Well, if it's emulating the PS2 version accurately, the issues of those ports will still be there. Like how GTA III has awful draw distance on PCSX2, yet the PC version can now load the whole map.

Might as well go for the PC versions, as they surely run at 60fps.

One of my favorite games of all time. The iOS version is surprisingly decent, but I would also recommend the PC version. Check the steam forums for how to set it up properly.

Ozium

max payne 1 is good, way better than 3...
and 2 is also really good and has a lot of precursor to Alan Wake type stuff in it...

keep playing and you will see why everyone likes them better than the third one.

also, miRrorS aRe MorE fuN tHan tElivisioN

PaulloDEC

I really have to replay the original two Max Payne games some day soon. Back when I was younger they were some of my absolute favourite games; I must've sunk a dozen hours into the original MP demo alone.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sam Lake face is the best Max Payne face.
I love the first game. I think the low budget scene during the comic scene books make it really memorable. Gameplay is good, but obviously it lack MP2 and MP3 even more polished gameplay.

Ozium

Sam Lake face is the best Max Payne face.
I love the first game. I think the low budget scene during the comic scene books make it really memorable. Gameplay is good, but obviously it lack MP2 and MP3 even more polished gameplay.

even though sam lake isn't max payne's face in max payne 2 seeing him in all those different roles on the various television shows was great.

Moff

excellent shooter for it's time, but part 2 was so much more fun because of the ragdoll physics

SPCTRE

One of my favorite PC games of all time.

Pausing the game for the first time, with the camera rotating around Sam Lake's stupid awesome squinty face, is one of those defining moments of my personal gaming history.

misho8723

Banned
MP3 has great gameplay, but I just don't like the story, the characters, the setting, the writting and there are so much cutscenes - like every 5 minutes, even for the most basic and unnecessary things, for example : I shoot 5 guys, then I'm want to go forward, but there is a cutscene showing Max running to a door,.. ehmm, why couldn't I just go there by myself and not through a cutscene?.. yeah seriously, you spent way more time just watching some cutscenes than with actual gameplay..

MP 1/2 are still better games.. MP1 has way better atmosphere than MP3, and MP2 has almost as good gameplay as MP3, but still better atmosphere and writting and overall story than MP3

it still looks pretty alright on pc
2601941-6881002380-Z3ZsU.png

2601942-4870929277-iwQDK.png

2603148-3736180202-SOGV4.png

peely

Neo Member
Never played any other version than the PC. One of the best games I've ever played and can happily replay
(aside from the dream/drug levels which are just annoying)

Only played #2 once, need to go back to that one at some point. Enjoyed it though I never thought it was as good as the first.

But seriously, play this on PC :)

meanspartan

Really dont understand why didnt You just pick up PC version, is superior in every way.
And why are You at it and are Matrix fan, check Matrix mods, they are amazing!

Because like I said, I've been collecting for Ps2 recently as a new hobby because prices are nice and low (unlike SNES....still bitter about how expensive that shit has gotten lol) and it is either my favorite console of all time or tied with SNES.

I wasn't really looking for Max Payne, just found it for dirt cheap on Ps2 and got it for my collection since I liked Max Payne 3. I like to play the games for a bit on the original hardware (over component though, dunno how I dealt with composhit for all of gen 6) before switching to the emulator.

meanspartan

Well, if it's emulating the PS2 version accurately, the issues of those ports will still be there. Like how GTA III has awful draw distance on PCSX2, yet the PC version can now load the whole map.

Might as well go for the PC versions, as they surely run at 60fps.

True, but it does fix my main gripe, the horrid framerate, and multiplying the native resolution 4x and adding in AA makes it look pretty decent. Albeit probably not as good as the PC version still.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I gotta say, I loved the pc version I played. The shooting was sublime to me and Max's monologues were pretty good and often funny.
I'm a huge Max Payne fan (MP1 is one of my favorite gamed ever), and still liked MP3 a lot. It has issues, but they didn't prevent me from enjoying it. Best shooting mechanics in the series. And I did like the writing too.

I doubt I'll like Max Payne or Max Payne 2 as much as you guys do. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying this first one plenty despite it's age, but I don't think it's the same as experiencing it in it's era. I find I can enjoy old games, but the optimal experience comes playing them when they were relevant.
This may be true. Can't say for sure because I played MP1 back when it was released, so there's no way to know how my opinion would be today. As for MP2, it took me 2 years after release to get my hands on it, and I really liked it too, although less than MP1.

And I'll second the opinions that you should go with the PC version. No idea how the console ports are, but playing it on PC (mouse controls, mod support, customizable graphics) is a blast. I think there's a fan patch or something to make it run flawlessly on newer machines, but it's easy to install.

Moff

I love the franchise and loved Max Payne 3, if only the cutscenes were skippable, but that has prevented me from replaying it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I've been with the series from the start and I love all three.

Some folks don't realise that if the Houser's had tried to copy Lake they would've fallen flat on their faces. They did a revisionist take on the character with improved controls and a phenomenal multiplayer. Couldn't ask for more.

Also, MP2 is GOAT. Outside of Blood Money and MGS3 I'd say it was my perfect game.

Also, also: get the MP1 kung fu patch. It's incredible.

I played Max Payne for the first time last year, on PC. Absolutely incredible, and I could see exactly why it was heralded as highly as it was during it's time. I had to kick myself for not playing it sooner.
It did honestly take a moment to adjust to early-2000 gameplay but after that the entire thing was god damn sublime.

Max Payne 2 is probably even better.

Despera

Banned
MP1=MP2>>>>>>>MP3.

The writing in MP3 is shit-tier compared to the first 2, so I'm sure you'll have a blast going through the previous games. The gunplay will take some adjusting to though.

At least make sure to play MP2 on PC after you're done with MP1.

it still looks pretty alright on pc
2601941-6881002380-Z3ZsU.png

2601942-4870929277-iwQDK.png

2603148-3736180202-SOGV4.png

That's Max Payne 2, though, isn't it? Are there any good visual upgrade mods?

I only played the games for the first time last winter. I loved the whole atmosphere they created. MP3 just lacked that, sadly.

I should probably replay them soon.

Top Bottom