• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebuilding The Last of Us Part I: A deep dive into combat, animation, audio and visual changes with Naughty Dog

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Naughty Dog are so good at graphics

gWwP7y7.jpg

Duchess

Really hoping that ND will start focusing on Part 3 now.

Also really hoping that Ellie remains as the main character, and they don't veer off some place else.

Hunnybun

I dont buy it

What layouts? You can crouch already, so why no prone? So you can enter some places where you shouldnt go? Put some invisible walls

What's their excuse for not putting dodge in then? Map layout?

"Thats not tlou". Those are features present on the sequel, ffs.

They just didnt bother because they would have to put some work into it. Simple as that.

Dodge button would mean more animations to Joel and enemies

They are charging premium for what should be the deffinitive edition of their magnum opus, but they couldnt bother to put features that would elevate the game

Whats clearly happening here is: ND got this project after a failed attempt at remastering it from another Sony studio. They had to save the project with limited budget and time to recoup the investment already made developing it, and this is what we got.

I doubt that they are happy with it, but fuck it, Sony is forcing their hands, so they sand "lets ship this shit"

Yep, pretty much.

Although I'm not sure what their excuse is for doing such a half-arsed job remastering UC4 and TLL for PS5. This is now 2 releases in a row that have been - frankly - low quality.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
£70 for me personally in my own financial situation is worth it to just to experience the first truly next-gen looking title on PS5.

Yep this has been my reasoning behind my purchasing decision from day 1. If the transition to current generation wasn't so atypical and we were flooded with current gen titles, then the value proposition calculus would likely have been different for me.

Hugare

Crouch is not prone, where the player can see under objects. Tell where that exist in tlou. Then you have add the in the Ai search functions all the animations to support that. And yes background layout that what’s it called it would all have to be changed to accommodate that gameplay. It’s huge job, if they added that the game probably would not be out this year and it wouldn’t be TLOU.

“ Put up some invisible walls?” BAD, crappy horrible idea, are you a gamer? You know that’s bad game design right?
"Crouch is not prone, where the player can see under objects. Tell where that exist in tlou. "

It exists on the entirety of TLOU Part 2. A game with maps MUCH bigger than Part 1, nonetheless.

"Then you have add the in the Ai search functions all the animations to support that"

Like the ones used in Part II that they could easily port? Like the other animations (and AI) that they are already porting? I see

"“ Put up some invisible walls?” BAD, crappy horrible idea, are you a gamer? You know that’s bad game design right?"

You know that every game has invisible walls, right? Including that very linear game called The Last of Us for the PS3?

All they had to do was to put a chair on the debris that's already there blocking the player's passage. WOW, that would require some work. Specially since they are already redesigning and remodeling every map in the game.

You can keep defending them all you want. But trying to make it justifiable is plain stupid.

Hunnybun

If people want to buy this then fair enough, I can totally understand the appeal. But thinking it looks truly next gen? Wtaf?! Are people blind or something? I've just watched videos of this and then TLOU2 to compare - they look basically identical. It's using exactly the same graphics engine and even the same assets, where it can. How can a game look 'truly next gen' and exactly like a PS4 game at the same time?!

If people want to buy this then fair enough, I can totally understand the appeal. But thinking it looks truly next gen? Wtaf?! Are people blind or something? I've just watched videos of this and then TLOU2 to compare - they look basically identical. It's using exactly the same graphics engine and even the same assets, where it can. How can a game look 'truly next gen' and exactly like a PS4 game at the same time?!
Yes you are right, but you're seeing a higher resolution and probably better lighting which is giving this at least more image clarity.

Hunnybun

Maybe in cutscenes it’ll be native 4k, dynamic 4k in gameplay

It looks crisper than tlou2 in the trailers

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's anything more than 1440p60, like all their other games. Certainly Sony have a history of just using 'dynamic 4k' for basically any resolution that's beyond 1080p. They even called Returnal 'dynamic 4k'.

Justin9mm

Sony is releasing three generations of the same game. I think the remake is unnecessary. Already the PS4 last of us remastered graphics are good even though they are the older generation. Instead of having Sony last of us part 1 remake, Naughty Dog would better take the time to make another new project and a new game. But Naughty Dog is developing new games at the same time. But the game company's last of us online game will make and they are making a new project. But I think the last of us remake is unnecessary in my opinion. Instead of a Last of Us remake, it would be better for them to make a new brand game of singles. But I find the Naughty Dog game company successful.
You are looking at it the wrong way, have you played TLOU1 PS4 remastered recently? It feels dated. This remake is for newcomers to coincide with the TV show because they are building on the franchise and banking on it being a success. They want new comers to watch the show and want to pick up the games so bringing this in line with Part 2 makes sense. This game is not marketed for you (existing players of the original)

I really don't get why people don't understand this.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
If people want to buy this then fair enough, I can totally understand the appeal. But thinking it looks truly next gen? Wtaf?!

Which game looks current gen to you?

Are people blind or something?

Are you?

I've just watched videos of this and then TLOU2 to compare - they look basically identical. It's using exactly the same graphics engine and even the same assets, where it can. How can a game look 'truly next gen' and exactly like a PS4 game at the same time?!

If the assets/models are using higher geometry and textures, are they the same assets/models?

ANp9rR8.png

fiFUgmD.png

I don't see any improvement to the lighting,

You sure?

V2pMRJW.png

e7Xu3lf.png

Last edited:

Hugare

Are you?

If the assets/models are using higher geometry and textures, are they the same assets/models?

ANp9rR8.png

fiFUgmD.png

You sure?

V2pMRJW.png

e7Xu3lf.png
Comparing in totally different lighting conditions is not as clever as you think it is

I'm on mobile and too lazy right now, but I'm pretty sure I can cherry pick screenshots from Part II that look as good as these

There's nothing being done on these Part I that havent been done in Part II, tech wise

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Comparing in totally different lighting conditions is not as clever as you think it is

Lol, lighting conditions will be different no matter which "comparable" captures you choose because TLOU Pt.1 is using advanced cinematic lighting not capable in TLOU2 which was built for PS4 . But thanks for playing and proving my point.

Hugare

Lol, lighting conditions will be different no matter which "comparable" captures you choose because TLOU Pt.1 is using advanced cinematic lighting not capable in TLOU2 which was built for PS4 . But thanks for playing and proving my point.
Source: from your butt

You've been making a fool of yourself for many pages now with your assumptions, going from ray tracing reflections to "advanced cinematic lighting" now

At least wait for the game to launch before making such ridiculous assumptions

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Source: from your butt

You've been making a fool of yourself for many pages now with your assumptions, going from ray tracing reflections to "advanced cinematic lighting" now

At least wait for the game to launch before making such ridiculous assumptions

“To me, what makes this a remake instead of a remaster is the sum of its improvements,” explains Naughty Dog’s Shaun Escayg, who was Lead Cinematic Animator on the original and is Part I’s Creative Director “This isn’t just the same characters, environments, art direction, etc., performing on better hardware. We completely redesigned everything from the art direction, lighting, [lighting] technology to the character designs themselves. We’ve applied everything we’ve learned over the decade since the original and utilized that new technology to create something that stays true to the original but reimagined in an updated way.”

• Enhanced visuals: Completely rebuilt from the ground up using Naughty Dog’s latest PS5™ engine technology to improve every visual detail, The Last of Us™ experience has been faithfully enhanced with more realistic lighting and atmosphere, more intricate environments and creative reimaginings of familiar spaces.

Good Luck Charlie Idk GIF

Bernardougf

Gold Member
This is "remake" is going to re-show how part 2 is an abomination.
Juuust waiting to see if they didnt make any changes in the operation scene to make joel look more of an evil character with less forced duality... and some little tweaks here and there just to make the storyline continuation in part 2 seen less stupid.

In a perfect world they didn't change anything and this game should sell double of what part 2 sold, proving that even with good numbers it wasn't as successful as it could be with a less divisive story... but at 70$?? No way ... or maybe thats the reason to charge 70$.. so it cannot sell faster and better then part 2 😅 /jk

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Are you?

ANp9rR8.png

fiFUgmD.png

You sure?

V2pMRJW.png

e7Xu3lf.png

Ratchet and Clank is the only truly next gen game that's been shown so far IMO. It looks way better than this.

Horizon 2, in some areas, also looks as good as Ratchet, but is fairly inconsistent.

IMO Deathloop is the next best looking. People laugh at that idea because they can't see past the rather strange art style, but the actual fidelity of the lighting, draw distance, overall geometry etc is excellent. Again, much better than this.

Returnal and Demon's Souls are probably the next best. Returnal has higher highs - at times it just looks staggeringly good - but is VERY inconsistent.

As for your images: here, please peruse this screen of TLOU2, which likewise 'proves' that it's better looking than this remake.

uMNJrRv7S3Difx3faaQhZ9-1200-80.jpg

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Horizon 2, in some areas, also looks as good as Ratchet, but is fairly inconsistent.
I don't think Horizon Forbidden West is fairly inconsistent, the game looks gorgeous like in every environment during any time of day

Hunnybun

I don't think Horizon Forbidden West is fairly inconsistent, the game looks gorgeous like in every environment during any time of day

Well that's my opinion. For me, the desert and swamp areas, for example, and the opening area with the town, look much worse than the jungle environment they showed off in the SOP.

IMO Deathloop is the next best looking. People laugh at that idea because they can't see past the rather strange art style, but the actual fidelity of the lighting, draw distance, overall geometry etc is excellent. Again, much better than this.
Deathloop looks great in the same sense that Mario looks great, it's clean and pure.

MrA

Banned
well I'll give credit without looking at last of us 1, I assumed it looked like I remembered last of us 1 looking,
going back it's clearly a huge jump in visuals, but still looks like the original game unlike demon's souls or shadow of the colossus and their extensive artistic liberties, so job well done there

Even in today's video addressing the technical side of the game they STILL skirted around the issue of what's improved over LoU2. Everything was compared to the ps3 game but what should matter is what's improved in 3 years since Part 2 now that we're on Ps5. They focused yet again only on cutscenes which do look great but what about the environments is improved over 2?There was a vague mention about lighting but they went into no detail.

Someone said this is the first real next gen game on ps5. I'd like to know how they watched trailers for this and came away thinking that. All I can maybe see some ambient occlusion indoors looks really great and the cutscenes. Ratchet has tons of npcs all doing complex animation and filling each scene, 4k res textures which hold up when zooming in the camera, ray tracing, great particle effects, lots of far distant detail and just smacks of next gen. Demons Souls has the best tesselation ever in a console game which would've been impossible on ps4. Horizon is open world with high res textures everywhere, greatly expanded lods, extremely detailed character models, great lighting and global illumination and dense geometry.

Last of Us remake looks exactly like Part 2. It's beautiful yes but so was Part 2. The character models in cutscenes are phenomenal looking and the ambient occlusion seems really excellent. I'm hoping this dynamic 4k/60 will result in a higher overall resolution than LoU2. That would help to be a clear improvement but we don't know if the final game will average out any higher than LoU2's 1440p res. How about the textures? They seem pretty good but are they better than Part 2? Do they have the same crazy detail that Demons Souls and Horizon have? I can't tell from the leaks which is not a good sign. The foliage is definitely not better than Part 2.

Today's video could've clarified some stuff and silenced people like me from complaining about the graphics.

Top Bottom