• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Developer Says They Were Mocked By Other Developers

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Where are these guys mocking Aarkane? Who? When? Why not point them out?

She says she's a 2D artist (and I didn’t even need to guess her gender because she put it on her bio). How much of an involvement is there of a 2D artist in actual game development? Early pre-production concepts and marketing?
Everything 2D in the environment is 2D Environment art.
So posters, signage, decals, whiteboards, graffiti etc.
2D art can also cover UI elements, Achievements etc.
How important is that role.....well thats up to you.
But the world storytelling of Prey is helped so much by the 2D Environment Art.

sadie-boyd-global-welcome-posters.jpg

jzosa

People have been called worse for less than what she stated.

How about ensuring your product is complete and not a buggy mess instead of appealing to emotion?

If she can’t take criticism, then she must be in the wrong industry.

skit_data

I’ve not really seen anyone blame Arkane, most people have pointed as MS being the main reason for it releasing in the state it did. The closest I’ve seen to someone blaming Arkane themselves would be Phil Spencer more or less saying another delay wouldn’t help because the core problem was the game being creatively bankrupt.

Darsxx82

Among the developers guild there are also bad people, fanboys, disgruntled ex-employees and some who want popularity at the expense of criticizing the work of others.
There is nothing else to discuss. It is typical of the human condition.

SJRB

Gold Member
Everything 2D in the environment is 2D Environment art.
So posters, signage, decals, whiteboards, graffiti etc.
2D art can also cover UI elements, Achievements etc.
How important is that role.....well thats up to you.
But the world storytelling of Prey is helped so much by the 2D Environment Art.

sadie-boyd-global-welcome-posters.jpg

I still have three litho's hanging on my wall that came with the Prey artbook. Amazing art design in that game all around.

(not my pic but it's the same artwork)

C-xgsJWXYAEbtIk.jpg:large

PanzerCute

I wouldn’t be surprised if the colleagues who are mocking them are within Arkane Lyon. I can’t really explain it but I always got the feeling from various interviews from the Lyon team during their project development that they didn’t really care for the Austin team.
Absolute bullshit

demigod

The only thing more time would have gotten us is probably 60 fps on consoles and a few bug fixes.

The core gameplay loop is just boring. The mobs are repetitive. The loot is repetitive. The main story is super short. The missions are mostly copy paste. 90% of the games story is told through sticky notes and pieces of paper you find on the ground.

Phil was right to push it out the door. It was either that or cancel it completely right before release.

No singular developer should be blamed for the failure of the game. It blows my mind that nobody from Xbox or high in Bethesda came in and played a build and said “Whoa, wtf is this?”

Especially since Phil said he’s been seeing good builds of Avowed. So he is obviously looking into the games to some extent.

cpV24sggakviVWqWwDVzJn-1200-80.jpg.webp

You mean this Phil? The Phil that was fake playing The Initiative’s game?

This is 100% on the devs and the publisher. I’m not a dev but when I do anything that involves coding/scripting on the pc, I have to make sure it works. This might not be on “her”, but it is on the whole team. How did the devs not check that the AI is broken? How did it get past the QA testers? Which dev screwed up the big/small assets? Who’s idea was it to place a buncha NPCs and have their response as hmmm? That’s just lazy.

However much money they spent on that game won’t be re-couped. She should be glad that she still has a job there and the studio isn’t closed instead of worrying about what her peers said. Instead of crying on twitter, she should acknowledge that they put out a stinker and do better next time instead of popping champagne bottles.

mdkirby

I blame the publisher. Not the devs. I blame ms.

I blame Phil
It predates MS, I’d blame zenimax. There was obvious pressure from zenimax years ago on arkane to change direction and start forcing in GAAS crap into their games following critical success but commercial “meh” with their past tiltes, and during a time when publishers saw nothing but gold pathed roads in that model. This led to the loss of the creative leaders at both studios including creative dI rector/co founder behind dishonoured and prey, and the studio head, among others, who obviously wanted no part of that future. Now we’re seeing the fruits of that labour, with a hollowed out studio lacking key talent, releasing a game into a market that has changed and now views the sort of thing they were trying to make a toxic. Meanwhile the sort of games they USED to make, rich narrative single player games are in the ascendency, microsoft could see the writing on wall and released it full of bugs, because it would make no difference 🤷‍♂️ . Vs rocksteady which is destined for the same fate, but they opted to delay, and will end up spending another good 50mil+ likely to see see a similar reaction regardless.

Sadly the core that made arkane special, I feel just doesn’t exist anymore. I’m sure they still have some decent devs, but they’ll likely never be what they once were.

mrmustard

Banned
What is this with Redfall? People seem to be obsessed with this game. Can't remember that much attention for Bleeding Edge.

Schadenfreude.
Let's hope Arkane come back from the brink with some sort of "No man's sky" scenario.
No they won't. No Mans Sky had the core of a good game in it, just barebones. Likewise Fallout 76 & Sea of Thieves had good core gameplay and thats both easy to improve over time with more content and fixes.

Redfall is just poor and no amount of updates will make it a big hitter or woo back players.

Another GAAS waste.

FingerBang

Some people on gaf reaaaaally want to prove all the shit the rest of the world says on gaf is real, huh?

The game was messed up, but that doesn't mean a lot of work didn't go into it. Developers, most of the time, are not at fault. If you think it's incompetence or lack of skill, you don't know how the fuck it works. Software development is not a perfect science; you can't just say, "it will take this long to achieve this quality, so give me this amount of time." Most of the time it's more like: "We want these features and this much content and this is our deadline". And you know what? It's not enough time to do it right, so you push and hack and see whatever you can do because of management or the stakeholders.

MS is at fault here. And I'll tell you more, it's highly likely that in 6 to 12 months, Redfall will be a decent game. So yeah, make fun of the game and criticize the pitiful state it was released in, but don't fucking harass the developers. Especially if they're chicks that show boobs on twitter.

Pussy society.
Man, if only!

Wildebeest

The game industry is shark infested waters, but many workers choose to deal with it by blaming gamers. The biggest ridiculous thing about this is the berk who thinks that shipping a bad game is going to destroy someone's career, and it is not more important to have an immaculate social media account, good connections and "fitting in".

Gotta rush that game for gamepass.

You do know the game got delayed out of last summer, right?
Xbox has it's 2023 schedule mapped out and the game had to launch when it did.

This is on Phil for not giving the devs more time.

I've seen so many people saying this in hindsight, funnily.
Come on..if they delayed it again, you wouldn't view it as a positive; you'd just blame Phil for whatever the reason was (even though it's clearly Arkane Austin's issue).
And if the game scored higher, you wouldn't give Microsoft any credit at all for it, pretend it was overrated (like GAF does with Deathloop) or simple stay silent/no-sell it.

The narrative is pretty set in at this point:
If any 1st party game (from the studios that were acquired from 2018 on) is well-received, it's because Microsoft was hands-off and the game was in development before they were acquired.
If it isn't well-received? Suspend that logic and blame Phil and Gamepass! Must be fun..

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Why do I get the feeling that the quotes are made up / exaggerated? Or at least not something said by her "peers, friends, or colleagues". They sound like random shitposts on some forum. Very shitty if true though.

That's because they are, when looking into this a bit more I'm surprised she's actually a woman and not a "woman". Everything else seems to be a whole c-c-combo of confirmation bias.

that would be twitter, complaining, full arm tatoos, danger hair, choker, and pig nose ring

Three

Come on..if they delayed it again, you wouldn't view it as a positive; you'd just blame Phil for whatever the reason was (even though it's clearly Arkane Lyon's issue).
Funny because you're blaming a studio that didn’t make it.

GHound

Social media is a shit slinging contest and emotional masturbation topped off with reassignment of blame and no small amount of gaslighting and appeals to emotion. In the interest of not giving in to the social parasites I've long since come to despise I'm going to take the low road and just summarize the events in question as "lol u mad."

true detective smoking GIF

feynoob

You do know the game got delayed out of last summer, right?
Xbox has it's 2023 schedule mapped out and the game had to launch when it did.

Come on..if they delayed it again, you wouldn't view it as a positive; you'd just blame Phil for whatever the reason was (even though it's clearly Arkane Austin's issue).
And if the game scored higher, you wouldn't give Microsoft any credit at all for it, pretend it was overrated (like GAF does with Deathloop) or simple stay silent/no-sell it.

The narrative is pretty set in at this point:
If any 1st party game (from the studios that were acquired from 2018 on) is well-received, it's because Microsoft was hands-off and the game was in development before they were acquired.
If it isn't well-received? Suspend that logic and blame Phil and Gamepass! Must be fun..
Xbox only has minor involvement with starfield. Other than that, they have no involvement with other Bethesda projects that has been released so far. Because the purchase was completed in 2021.

As for their other studios, they are responsible for their work whatever they release now.

GymWolf

What is this with Redfall? People seem to be obsessed with this game. Can't remember that much attention for Bleeding Edge.
Arkane was one of the best developers in the business and ninia theory are mid\decent at best, this is the difference.

No one would be suprised if hellblade 2 is a 7\10 game but it is extremely sad to see arkane going from dish, prey and messiah to fucking redfall.

Even the existence of deathloop didn't softened the huge blow to arkane's fans even if it was already an hint that things were changing.

Last edited:
Love it when gaf defends turds "but...but..shes just a 2D artist..."

Redfall art:

8ITpkSJ.jpeg

dOJg4fu.jpeg

CC2502677523202A215B377818DE5D1EE8930283

C9B07BBD48177DAC3F2C5063F36933320109AABD

Previous Arkane art:

2C288B638AC0D850AEDBE0AAE997CDA4030672F1

C06700E9A0B4A39A52AC9A4913B9555D0CE64896

77F96B562864FBCAC7355EF366DAB860D812BBC8

Good job keyboard warriors, keep up the good work protecting her work of "art". In a non clown world, she would've been fired for whatever the fuck of an abomination artstyle Redfall has. Truly embarrassing. It's not just the team behing the gameplay, everyone who worked on Redfall needs to do better or find other things to do with their life. If this is the kind of quality you forgive then enjoy getting less and less in the future.

Top Bottom