• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Developer Says They Were Mocked By Other Developers

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I played the game dude, the bugs are the last of this game problem.
I didn't. And arkane is in part at fault. But they dont make magic. It the concept is shit, cancel. If it is in development hell, delay as needed. And this is Microsoft responsibility. This is maybe a translation error? I say that microsoft is in charge, so they take responsibility. You say that arkane is the studio creating the game, so they are the culprit. Both are true, just a question of how much. If I go eat at a dinner somewhere and found a strand of hair in my meal, I will complain to the manager, not look for who lost it. If you see what I mean.

Dr.Morris79

Got to take the good with the bad. And no doubt the developer loves social media going by her account.

If Redfall got 90% on MC, I'm sure they'd all be high-fiving each other. But it got around a 55 so it's more likely they'll get deep-sixed.

Lessoned learned. Dont make a shit game. I played around an hours worth of it a few days ago and it looked bad and felt dated. TBH not the worst game I played but as average as you can get (and thats being generous). It felt like something that would had come out 10 years ago. When the audio is the best part of a game, you got issues.

Even just getting out of the ferry and then making your way to the tunnel to clear the level felt meh. So it wasnt even a case of a game which starts good and turns bad later as if they ran out of budget. It was just sloppy right away.

First thing I noticed was how bad the FOV was and trying to pick up items off the ground was tough as you had to be perfectly standing in certain spots. If the basic graphics and repetitive dead bodies werent bad enough, you get that part making your way out of the ferry with some smashed up cars. Instead of water, it was like blue ooze or something. It was like an unfinished water texture. Didn't make sense. I just moved on since I already read the bad reviews and knew what kind of poor workmanship quality I was going to get.

But just imagine if I bought this game blind for $100 ($90 cdn + tax). Thank god it was just a GP download to dabble with.
Reading over my last post I guess I came over as an old man shouting at clouds on a rampant shit post fest..it just irks me that what we see now in society as a norm. You make a bad product (Or do something rubbish) and the first port of call is drama or blame, there is zero ownership..

But aye, the game is god awful. I really hope developers can push certain things aside and get on with just making good games

Going by every other industry mind you, we've still a way to go yet. The list is endless of companies now eating dirt due to certain.. politics and this game reeks of it. And doesnt it show :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

I didn't. And arkane is in part at fault. But they dont make magic. It the concept is shit, cancel. If it is in development hell, delay as needed. And this is Microsoft responsibility. This is maybe a translation error? I say that microsoft is in charge, so they take responsibility. You say that arkane is the studio creating the game, so they are the culprit. Both are true, just a question of how much. If I go eat at a dinner somewhere and found a strand of hair in my meal, I will complain to the manager, not look for who lost it. If you see what I mean.
The game was in development for 5 years and the majority of the time, M wasn't involved, just saying...

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The game was in development for 5 years and the majority of the time, M wasn't involved, just saying...
Then they should have cancelled the game. But they didn't. And explained why.
They let them work a little more. Then they delayed the game 1 year.
Delay again if it still wasn't ready. But they explained that basically there was nothing else to get ready, or get better as they were out of ideas. I can understand that. But not to put the blame on arkane if they did what they were told to do. Do you believe that arkane wanted to launch the game like that? Or that they wanted more time and Microsoft refused? Of course if arkane really believed in this game like Rare believed in Kinect in the Xbox One generation then I am wrong.

GymWolf

Then they should have cancelled the game. But they didn't. And explained why.
They let them work a little more. Then they delayed the game 1 year.
Delay again if it still wasn't ready. But they explained that basically there was nothing else to get ready, or get better as they were out of ideas. I can understand that. But not to put the blame on arkane if they did what they were told to do. Do you believe that arkane wanted to launch the game like that? Or that they wanted more time and Microsoft refused? Of course if arkane really believed in this game like Rare believed in Kinect in the Xbox One generation then I am wrong.
This game should not need more than 5 years, it is very barebones in most of his aspects, there is not nearly enough meat into the bone to justify even more time.

M is at fault for releasing a rotten game at 70 dollars price cut, arkane is at fault for making the rotten game and severely mismanaging the time they had, this is my final word, i don't really care about defending M that much.

The game at least on pc is not really that buggy, i'm a broken record but believe me, the bugs are the last of this game problem.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
This game should not need more than 5 years, it is very barebones in most of his aspects, there is not nearly enough meat into the bone to justify even more time.

M is at fault for releasing a rotten game at 70 dollars price cut, arkane is at fault for making the rotten game and severely mismanaging the time they had, this is my final word, i don't really care about defending M that much.

The game at least on pc is not really that buggy, i'm a broken record but believe me, the bugs are the last of this game problem.
I mostly agree. Shame that it happened like that. I think that 5 years can be a lot and not that much depending of how they were used. But we will not have more info from arkane unless we got a article from a good journalist. Wich means almost never.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I had to look it up, damn son, you werent kidding. I take everything back. She can complain all she wants on my face with those personalities.

FszXevcWAAAejcJ
0d528040-2767-4da3-9048-107a4eec3c8a_text.gif

Aenima

I had to look it up, damn son, you werent kidding. I take everything back. She can complain all she wants on my face with those personalities.

FszXevcWAAAejcJ
She has 2 huge problematic things that would not allow her to be a main character in a western videogame. AT the same time, she would make a great character in any Japanese/ Korean game.

AGRacing

When I imagine what it's like to manage and attempt to improve employees in 2023... I often think of people like this who would take to a public forum like this to complain how their peers treated them after a spectacular failure.

There's no shame in these people anymore and there should be.... it's a useful tool. This is the same trait that would prevent a mom asking for food for her kids on Facebook after showing off a 200 dollar pedicure 2 days before. You wouldn't fucking SEE me again after a work failure until I personally corrected my mistakes and planned how to prevent the same ones again. Too embarrassing to approach it any other way. I definitely wouldn't be criticizing the criticism of me. Bonkers.

Last edited:

kungfuian

This type of ridicule is hugely demoralizing and can have unexpected negative effects on a team.

In a follow up to the original story, the symptoms of being mocked by their peers has apparently escalated for some, with instances of members of the team becoming unresponsive to light or being found standing frozen in place staring at empty landscapes and walls.

Real sad stuff.

CGNoire

She needs to toughen up and stop whinning to others as if thats gonna fix anything.

Clearly she just wants a Pitty Party in her honor.

Just patch up the game like CDProjekt.
That works for a game like Cyberpunk or Jedi Survivor, which is a good game hampered by bugs and performance issues.

This is a bad game with those issues. You can, and should, fix them, but you still won't have a good game when you do.

Krathoon

That works for a game like Cyberpunk or Jedi Survivor, which is a good game hampered by bugs and performance issues.

This is a bad game with those issues. You can, and should, fix them, but you still won't have a good game when you do.
I don't think it is totally broken beyond repair. There is a game in there. There is a framework to it. People are actually enjoying it despite the bugs.

Sorcerer

Phil Spencer told us the game was great for how long? Only to dump on the game 2 days after it was in the stores with a $70 price tag. I feel like Microsoft was not hand's off at all, but constantly rushed the team to get it finished (without any support) so they would not have to come out with yet another tale of delay. Either way MS was going to get mocked but sacrificing a game is a much worse in my opinion.

Did anybody see Phil's face when he was asked if he could promise us a truthful answer by Summer if Starfield will hit 30 or 60? He is not sure the game will hit 60 at this point and the game is due in September. I think that says it all.

Mocking by other developers is not constructive, unless this person was misconstruing constructive criticism with mocking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom