• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Developer Says They Were Mocked By Other Developers

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Surprising and sad, if true.

https://www.gamereactor.eu/redfall-developer-says-they-were-mocked-by-other-developers-1264973/

Redfall received a lot of criticism from the media, and the internet has also been flooded with negative reactions from fans. But apparently the developers behind Redfall have endured more than that, as colleagues from other studios have also mocked, and perhaps even gloated, over the game's lacklustre launch.

In a series of messages on Twitter, environment artist Sadie Boyd, who has launched her first title as part of Arkane Austin, says that Arkane Austin and the game have been mocked by colleagues from other developers:

zomboden

Banned
This is on Phil for not giving the devs more time.

Gotta rush that game for gamepass.
The only thing more time would have gotten us is probably 60 fps on consoles and a few bug fixes.

The core gameplay loop is just boring. The mobs are repetitive. The loot is repetitive. The main story is super short. The missions are mostly copy paste. 90% of the games story is told through sticky notes and pieces of paper you find on the ground.

Phil was right to push it out the door. It was either that or cancel it completely right before release.

No singular developer should be blamed for the failure of the game. It blows my mind that nobody from Xbox or high in Bethesda came in and played a build and said “Whoa, wtf is this?”

Especially since Phil said he’s been seeing good builds of Avowed. So he is obviously looking into the games to some extent.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Kinda wild. You would think other devs actually know how the process could go wrong and have at least some sympathy. Nobody wants to release a bad/disappointing game you're worked on for years, and a lot of the times it's a miracle a game ever releases in a good state.

But "they deserve this" it sounds like these clowns are partisan shills, participating in the childish console wars. The maturity of this industry sometimes...

Last edited:

Nydius

I wouldn’t be surprised if the colleagues who are mocking them are within Arkane Lyon. I can’t really explain it but I always got the feeling from various interviews from the Lyon team during their project development that they didn’t really care for the Austin team.

ProtoByte

The industry and the media put up a really good facade of kumbaya, and only ever bothers to break it in juxtaposing standard employees with management or wrongthinkers via hit piece or a gossip chain. Guess the illusion does work on some people.

It might not be in good taste, but by all accounts, Redfall is an especially incompetent production from a studio that's been propped up as a top level studio, which was arguably never justified in the first place. When an industry legend like Harvey Smith is the face of a sub-60 Metacritic game under the guise of 2 massive publishers, you better believe people in the field will talk, and it won't all be courteous. It could be out of some kind of personal dislike, it could be out of frustration for thinking they deserve more credit compared to him/the studio, or it could just be a love of drama.

Long story short, this kind of thing happens.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
todd howard needs to keep an eye on things at BGS

3027651-3022128-screen%2Bshot%2B2018-05-19%2Bat%2B1.58.58%2Bpm.png

Azurro

Banned
Three thoughts:
  • Hardly surprising, given how rotten the entertainment industry is...and this includes video games.
  • Watching others fail and gloating about it is an entertainment industry tradition.
    • Actually, it's a human tradition.
  • Better toughen up, Sadie...as callous as that might sound.

Pronouns and red hair. She's a diversity hire for sure, she'll never toughen up. 😛

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wouldn’t be surprised if the colleagues who are mocking them are within Arkane Lyon. I can’t really explain it but I always got the feeling from various interviews from the Lyon team during their project development that they didn’t really care for the Austin team.
You are working with high performing French developers and you come from a US or Canadian upbringing? Oh well… that will be hard :D.

Anyways, it does suck seeing negativity, a lot of these people could not have done anything about it (like this env artist). Then again in highly successful game everyone shares in the praise… so succeed as a team and fail as a team. I tend not to write developers off because of a single misfire, look at what Avalanche (not the Max Max folks) delivered with Hogwarts: Legacy on so many platforms and how many people just looking at their background would not have given them the time of day?

Last edited:

Gold Member
I mean by all accounts the game is poor so what did they expect? Better luck next time and a participation medal? I’m a dev (non game) and code reviews etc can be brutal sometimes, but you gotta roll with the punches and learn from it.

If you produce a turd then it should be called out imo. Time to put the big boy pants on, own it and learn from it. She should be thankful she still has a job, because frankly the environments in that game look like crap 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Pronouns and red hair. She's a diversity hire for sure, she'll never toughen up. 😛
Shes been in industry since 2014 and worked her way up to Environment art.
Worked on Prey: Mooncrash which was generally well received.
Arkane Austin def need to be hammered for this, but I dont think people need to be assholes to them.
We know they can put a good game together, RedFall just isnt one.

ProtoByte

That's a good guess.

If it isn't that, then she's just using "friends and colleagues" as a term for everyone in the industry, just by sharing a profession. Which is a possibility, but still. Good guess.

But "they deserve this" it sounds like these clowns are partisan shills, participating in the childish console wars. The maturity of this industry sometimes...
I highly doubt it's anything to do with console wars, or any consumer facing reason. If anyone would go as far as to say that, there's probably a personal reason for it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Surely the less talented developer would glee at a complete misfire from one of the industry's most acclaimed developers. Poor sportsmanship.

That said, people online say dumb shit all the time. If someone saying "lol fuck Arkane" or "those fucking idiots" gets you emotionally riled up, then you're gonna have a bad time.

Also: if you actually have friends who are happy you failed, you need better friends.

Last edited:
Where are these guys mocking Aarkane? Who? When? Why not point them out?

She says she's a 2D artist (and I didn’t even need to guess her gender because she put it on her bio). How much of an involvement is there of a 2D artist in actual game development? Early pre-production concepts and marketing?
Could also be UI/menu art or even texture art.

Either way: by friends she means Twitter followers? Because I doubt any ‘real life’ friends would be truly mocking eachother when they are failing.
If so then time to find new friends.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
A lot of people defending this behaviour, which is pretty telling really.

Mock the game, by all means. Blame the studio and the publisher, sure. Fire the devs if they’re incompetent. All of these are reasonable and appropriate reactions as far as I’m concerned. That people cannot tell why these actions are not shitty behaviour while mocking the devs and celebrating failure are suggests, to me, that they missed out on some pretty damn important lessons on social courtesy while their primary schools were in COVID lockdown.

Cyberpunkd

Kinda wild. You would think other devs actually know how the process could go wrong and have at least some sympathy. Nobody wants to release a bad/disappointing game you're worked on for years, and a lot of the times it's a miracle a game ever releases in a good state.
Social media society + being told to express your feelings - good and bad ones.

Although her “sad and confused, I have feelings too” rubs me the wrong way - just fucking move on, whining does nothing. Also - not everything you think needs to go on social media.

HL3.exe

I highly doubt it's anything to do with console wars, or any consumer facing reason. If anyone would go as far as to say that, there's probably a personal reason for it.
True, I doubt it as well. But it probably being personal is even more stupid, if true of course.

hockey-only.gif

Majukun

blame fells on publishers, not the devs.
"difficult launch" shouldn't be a thing, you ship a game when ready.

Disco Dave

Name them. Until then, I'm pressing F to doubt.

Paying customers have every right to call you out on the state of the game - regardless of either having paid 70 squid or subbed on Gamepass.

Critics have a right to call your game out for having technical and design issues.

Other devs have a right to poke fun at the state of the game - yea, it's unprofessional and i dont agree with it if true, but they are still entitled to their opinion. But until she ponies up a name or the internet unmasks a tweet or email, im going to suggest she is exaggerating at best and lying at worst to cope with and deflect from the criticism the studio is facing.

Griffon

Sorry but no, real devs usually understand how a project can get fucked up, and usually offer their sympathies to the staff who had to suffer a bad production. I've never heard or seen of what she's talking about.

Edit: well of course she's disabled replies because she knows she would be called out on her fabricated "devs"

Last edited:
Top Bottom