• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am gonna download this today. Too curious too see how real shit this is.
The last time I spite-tried a game was Death Stranding and I ended up fucking loving it.

I spite-tried Turdfall last night and as you can see by my very humorous and intelligent wordplay, I did not end up "fucking loving it".

SolidQ

Arkane, Arkane...:messenger_fearful:
2R1b6cj.png

MiguelItUp

Also that horrible trap and trap adjacent music exists all throughout the game too, it wasn't just for marketing. It's so odd to me, just doesn't really seem fitting at all. Feels more like a, "Hey fellow kids" to me kind of situation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last edited:

Bojji

One good thing i can say about this game is that HDR is quite awesome.

Other than that it plays like 6/10 game so reviews are correct.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
How far have you gotten?

In Redfall? I've only played for about an hour or so. I'm about to play some more.

I've finished Deathloop around the release date and it was a decent game. The problem is that it was worst than the previous time-loop game from Arkane: Prey Mooncrash. I strongly recommend that DLC if you haven't tried it yet.

Neon Xenon

As someone that's been watching Redfall from the initial announcement to this busted release, it has been such a bizarre ride.

The first reveal didn't really grab me from the concept being shown, character trailers also not doing anything for me as personality (I'm so tired of this sort of writing) and gameplay go, IGN's own "gameplay" doing the game no favors at all, and then this launching to mixed reviews and turning out to be another release with technical issues (not just on PC, but another entry for questionable PC ports).

Redfall only caught my interest for seeing how it would turn out, and now it's like a car pileup that I can't stop watching.

Nonehxc

Console players: is the 30 fps at least stable with good frame pacing?
No.

It's slow as nails 30fps that feels like less, playing on Series X BTW. Movement is very slow and janky, seems like movement acceleration is in play and not very polished, and the latency between controller and action really takes you away from the meager enjoyment I'm trying to suck out of this husk.

I'm finding much more entertaining the derailment happening with the game than the game per se. Also thinking about pitchforks and torches for Xbox and Bethesda for killing Arkane.

Alebrije

hello-there-dracula.gif
Who would think the best vampire related stuff these days would be Nicolas Cage.

Arkane gave me doubts with Deathloop....now they lost my confidence. Its like Obsidian..their better works are generations ago..

Last edited:

graywolf323

Well Phil has literally told everyone he doesn't have a clue what he's doing before so I don't know why this comes as a surprise:

"Teams are doing a really good job on keeping our hardware on track, I'd say the bigger unknown is probably the game production - just being honest," said Spencer.

"On the hardware side, we feel good about our plans, there’s some impact on our schedules, but overall we’re in line with where we thought we would be. On the game production side, we’re learning every day, I still feel good about it, but I also need to ensure the security and the safety of our teams is the most important thing and not unduly push when things aren’t ready.”

https://www.vg247.com/xbox-series-x-game-delays-unknown

If You Say So Shrug GIF
learning every day? you’ve been in charge of first party studios since 2008 Phil 🤦🏼‍♂️

Their last major AAA game release was 2021 Halo Infinite - the fact that it’s Halo, that was panned for content, flopped hard in terms of player base rapidly and resulted in mass lay offs AND THEY STILL RELEASED THIS GAME AS THEIR NEXT MAJOR AAA £70 GAME WTAF!?
It's not AAA, its impossible given the quality of the title...

Orbital2060

Arkane, Arkane...:messenger_fearful:
2R1b6cj.png
I cant stop laughing at some of the characters and their faces. Nightmare fuel. Its got a kind of cartoon vibe to the design and fidelity. And not trying to be realistic. But it looks pre alpha in places. Even though the combat and overall structure is sound enough.

Its weird next to Deathloop which looks and feels a lot more polished.

Alebrije

I cant stop laughing at some of the characters and their faces. Nightmare fuel. Its got a kind of cartoon vibe to the design and fidelity. And not trying to be realistic. But it looks pre alpha in places. Even though the combat and overall structure is sound enough.

Well , a lot of enemies look funny isntead of being scary. Its like they used somekind of random generated face app or algoritm..

In Redfall? I've only played for about an hour or so. I'm about to play some more.

I've finished Deathloop around the release date and it was a decent game. The problem is that it was worst than the previous time-loop game from Arkane: Prey Mooncrash. I strongly recommend that DLC if you haven't tried it yet.
I always felt like I'm about one of twenty people who actually played Mooncrash and it totally ruled. Shame it's essentially forgotten.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Ironically, when Redfall's alpha test images got leaked, there was genuine concern that the game should have been looking better. If we look back at those pages (from an Alpha test, 2021), they don't look that far off from the retail version we got.

bECi3Z2.jpg
yXRrnOu.jpg
hCt3Y0f.jpg
1bEcCBV.jpg
f76bNc9.jpg
q8BgOIp.jpg
1O0bWu5.jpg

Funny thing is whoever criticized for the game's look back then got labeled as "concern trolls". The following thread has a lot of such comments brushing off any negative feedback. Had they complained more back then, Arkane would likely have improved Redfall at least somewhat.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ironically, when Redfall's alpha test images got leaked, there was genuine concern that the game should have been looking better. If we look back at those pages (from an Alpha test, 2021), they don't look that far off from the retail version we got.

bECi3Z2.jpg
yXRrnOu.jpg
hCt3Y0f.jpg
1bEcCBV.jpg
f76bNc9.jpg
q8BgOIp.jpg
1O0bWu5.jpg

Funny thing is whoever criticized for the game's look back then got labeled as "concern trolls". The following thread has a lot of such comments brushing off any negative feedback. Had they complained more back then, Arkane would likely have improved Redfall at least somewhat.

Fanatics are their own worst enemy. Misery truly does love company.

Astray

I genuinely don't understand why Xbox makes such a huge deal out of MAUs and user engagement.

Like, these are stats you would normally see by the likes of Twitter or Facebook, because they sell ads, so it matters how engaged the userbase is with the platform, but Xbox doesn't sell ads, they sell consoles, games and subscriptions.

It's mind boggling imo.

Top Bottom