• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Goes to show the absolute lack of balls these outlets have.

This game makes Forspoken look like a masterpiece. How they are within 2 points of each other is dog shit.

USE THE FULL SCALE. I want to see RED. Not yellow.

I want to see 20s and 30s, not 60's.

Forspoken was a 6/10.

Redfall is a 2 or 3/10 at BEST.

Why do they have the same MC score? Are you scared to score below 6/10?

5/10 is a PASS. 6/10 means its Better than a pass. Its almost decent.

Where is this industries balls? Standards?

Call them the fuck out. Drop some 2 and 3/10's and really let these publishers and developers know that trash like this isn't acceptable. Not even for Gamepass filler.

The game is literally unfinished. It should be nothing higher than a 3. 30% on MC. Full out RED.

6/10. Give me a break.

my god.

People need to wake the fuck up and stop giving professional game reviewers a single, solitary fuck.

The "games media" is a joke and has been for a while. Not only do they have no standards, they have no integrity. Reviews are paid for.

I'm not talking about the few good guys like ACG that do exist on YouTube, I'm talking in general terms.

Also- MetaCritic should not be taken seriously either for obvious reasons.

Pelta88

I don't think you're arguing in good faith. I'm not saying that Bethesda could go make exclusives for Nintendo or Sony or... ....Evercade if they wanted to. Or decide to quit the video game industry and become The Bethesda Carpentry Co. That's obviously not what I meant. What we're talking about is that they set targets, schedules, decide on which titles to make (WITH THE CAVEAT THAT THEY ARE FOR THE PARENT COMPANY'S PLATFORMS) without the need for Xbox Game Studios to sign off on everything.

I read your mini thesis and I think you're damage controlling. In fact, I don't think, everyone can see you are damage controlling for a corporate entity that does not give a shit about you. Let me be clear, any attempt to change the narrative from Phil Spencer's well documented PR campaign that Redfall is an XB game disqualifies you from genuine discussion.

You're operating in a different reality, like we haven't had to endure years of PR about this ip. Only to turn around and try to somehow distance Phil from this debacle. Was

Crackdown
Bleeding Edge
Sea Of Thieves
State of decay
Halo Infinite

And the long list of stinkers released under Phils tenure not XBOX games too?

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I read your mini thesis and I think you're damage controlling. In fact, I don't think. Everyone can see you are damage controlling for a corporate entity that does not give a shit about you
Damage controlling by being consistently critical of Redfall's release?
Whatever the case, games shouldn't launch like this, especially first party titles that presumably can eat the cost of a delay and can pull in support.

the AI is such a giant part of the game, how is it so primitive at this stage?

the noise about textures and framerates are the kinds of things that optimisation would solve (or from my perspective as a non-developer, anyway), they're not really a problem in the same league as the gameplay being broken by poor AI.

This Redfall release has really screwed Microsoft. They absolutely cannot afford to release software in an unfinished state.

In fact, I don't think
You said it buddy.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
Like have said before, Microsoft does not really give a crap. They release crappy software all the time. Windows has plenty of annoying issues.

Went back a few pages to see what's up. and boy there is so much copium even one of the npc's from the game needed to get a huff of that shit

PlsIdSv.png

Quantum253

Damn, these comments are brutal. I'm watching Many A True Nerd run through the first bit. I recall Redfall being a big deal a couple years ago. Basically, this generation's answer to Left 4 Dead/LFD 2. Hopefully, some patching can take care of the graphical/technical issues, but something seems very off at Arkane.

Braag

Damn, these comments are brutal. I'm watching Many A True Nerd run through the first bit. I recall Redfall being a big deal a couple years ago. Basically, this generation's answer to Left 4 Dead/LFD 2. Hopefully, some patching can take care of the graphical/technical issues, but something seems very off at Arkane.
It's a open world shooter like Far Cry, not a co-op "Survive from safe house to safe house" type L4D game.

Quantum253

It's a open world shooter like Far Cry, not a co-op "Survive from safe house to safe house" type L4D game.
I see from the gameplay it's very Ubisoft/Farcry forward. I recall in the trailers (E3 and earlier) it was running around with your friends (with classes) and busting hordes of vampires. At least that's what I got out of the trailers or what it was being sold as

Braag

I see from the gameplay it's very Ubisoft/Farcry forward. I recall in the trailers (E3 and earlier) it was running around with your friends (with classes) and busting hordes of vampires. At least that's what I got out of the trailers or what it was being sold as
Yeah, the initial trailer was perhaps a bit misleading. I think a lot of people thought it's some MP shooter or L4D style game.

demigod

Ah I remember when the WII game "Red Steel" came out, and gamers, desperate to have any games for the system, insisted they were having fun. Ignore the bad gameplay guys, I'M HAVING FUN. (They weren't). Totally worth the money, and won't be forgotten in a month!
Fuck that game. I bought and played it for 5 minutes and thought it was shit. Worse money spent ever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought the same of the trailer. L4D but with a bigger world to explore.

As usual, goes to show how misleading video game trailers are.

It's like watching old Days Gone trailers. What do you see? Your character going up against mobs of zombies. Turns out it's a big open world game where the main focus is riding your motorcycle to different points, finding gas, and those zombie horde locations are few and far between. Also that sawmill horde I think is the, or one of the biggest battle scenes too while other ones are smaller. So in that first trailer, they literally showed the best scene in the whole game.

Last edited:

Quantum253

I thought the same of the trailer. L4D but with a bigger world to explore.

As usual, goes to show how misleading video game trailers are.

It's like watching old Days Gone trailers. What do you see? Your character going up against mobs of zombies. Turns out it's a big open world game where the main focus is riding your motorcycle to different points, finding gas, and those zombie horde locations are few and far between. Also that sawmill horde I think is the, or one of the biggest battle scenes too while other ones are smaller. So in that first trailer, they literally showed the best scene in the whole game.
That horde scene set the stage for encounters being an intense struggle where you'll have to use strategies/weapons/environments to survive. Kind of strange the biggest show stopper was shown and not left as a surprise

demigod

He was honest about Series X first party output over this generation being lackluster and was actually honest about the Series X hardware being outperformed by PS 5 this generation an admission I found surprising coming from a shill like him. He called out Microsoft always showing PC footage gameplay and not showing Series X. Having no games with RT from first party unlike Sony etc. He said a lot of stuff that surprised me I didn't agree with everything but at least he seemed to be honest about his frustration because a lot of his points I feel the same way. Xbox can't get better with shills I'm tired of people like him making excuses but this was a rare come to Jesus moment hopefully he don't backslide lol
Ms cutting them influencer marketing dollars.

sachos

when even the shills embrace the Doom and Gloom, you know you fucked up.

Asking for moneyhats of games already announced and confirmed multiplats... why not ask for deals to get those games on Gamepass Day 1? That would be good enough no?
Also, if those Xbox Ambassador conspiracies are true, do you think its possible he is just pushing the narratives his colleagues want him to push? Total tinfoil moment from me there.

Last edited:

Hoddi

FWIW, I just finished my second ~3 hour session and I'm having a blast with it. It's still pretty buggy but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some people are saying. Assuming they get fixed then it's an easy 8, in my opinion.

That's on PC though and I really think it needs that 60fps update on consoles. But I think there's a genuinely good game behind all that.

mxbison

Goes to show the absolute lack of balls these outlets have.

This game makes Forspoken look like a masterpiece. How they are within 2 points of each other is dog shit.

USE THE FULL SCALE. I want to see RED. Not yellow.

I want to see 20s and 30s, not 60's.

Forspoken was a 6/10.

Redfall is a 2 or 3/10 at BEST.

Why do they have the same MC score? Are you scared to score below 6/10?

5/10 is a PASS. 6/10 means its Better than a pass. Its almost decent.

Where is this industries balls? Standards?

Call them the fuck out. Drop some 2 and 3/10's and really let these publishers and developers know that trash like this isn't acceptable. Not even for Gamepass filler.

The game is literally unfinished. It should be nothing higher than a 3. 30% on MC. Full out RED.

6/10. Give me a break.

my god.

But then all the glowing previews would be even more obvious bullshit.

StereoVsn

I don't think so.

Ignore the caption. This was the only perfectly-cut video clip I could find of just the gunplay.

But when I saw both Redfall and Starfield, I noticed the same issues. No weight of the gun, no impact, weird animations, AI enemies not reaction to getting hit with bullets, weird alpha effects for bullets traveling, etc.

Wait, there is no VATS like system in Starfield? Houston, we have a problem!

I really hope they just didn't show it. Bethesda is not good at pure shooting portions but VATS made it tolerable. I mean there are always mods I guess.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wait, there is no VATS like system in Redfall? Houston, we have a problem!

I really hope they just didn't show it. Bethesda is not good at pure shooting portions but VATS made it tolerable. I mean there are always mods I guess.
I am assuming you meant Starfield.

There may be a system like this that Microsoft has been hiding so far, but I don't think there is. Otherwise, they'd have shown it.

Possible, sure. But very unlikely at this point.

StereoVsn

I am assuming you meant Starfield.

There may be a system like this that Microsoft has been hiding so far, but I don't think there is. Otherwise, they'd have shown it.

Possible, sure. But very unlikely at this point.
Umm.. yeah, Starfield, lol. And in the words of Han Solo: "I have a bad feeling about this". 😅

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Umm.. yeah, Starfield, lol. And in the words of Han Solo: "I have a bad feeling about this". 😅
Me too. Looks very similar to Redfall in many aspects, e.g., shooting, weapon animation, AI, texture quality, etc., but only slightly better.

Hopefully, the additional few months will give them an edge and enable them to fix the issues. Hopefully.

StereoVsn

Me too. Looks very similar to Redfall in many aspects, e.g., shooting, weapon animation, AI, texture quality, etc., but only slightly better.

Hopefully, the additional few months will give them an edge and enable them to fix the issues. Hopefully.
Yeah, but a few months in a very large game with a lot of moving systems is not a lot.

Frankly I really hope they have VATS just as a crutch for combat. Plus not like anyone would be surprised if they shoved that in.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Graphically it look way better than redfall, cmon.

Last edited:
If that's the case then this gen is straight up trash. L4D was and still is a sensational game with added social elements something that this generation of games seems to be missing.

Generation of shit game experiences and loneliness.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Maybe he needs to spend a bit less time gaming

270 hours in a single game in only 6 months seems pretty crazy for a guy in his position
its probably his stress relief game, once he stops playing he has to go back to reality aka xbox shitshow and acknowledge he is right at that very top of that sinking ship

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Graphically it look way better than redfall, cmon.
To me, the lightning looks very much improved (which is creating a lot of difference), for example in this image, which looks very good because of lighting:

4G6MOcs.jpg

but object texture quality looks pretty much the same to me as Redfall (however, slightly better). For example, look at the white box on the left

WBOlPbv.jpg

and compare it with the boxes in the background in the next image

8FMIx1g.jpg

or the table in the following one.

PgvVkxc.jpg

I think there are uncanny similarities between the two games (e.g., how the guns look), and I'm surprised why because these are apparently using completely different engines.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I figured that I'm not gonna be getting this after seeing the negative reception, so I watched a couple of reviews and... wow. This is embarrassingly bad. I didn't follow the development of this thing but it looks like Anthem all over again, where the developer had to start from scratch like a year before release and then published whatever they had and just hoped for the best, because this is about as half-baked as you can get. It's pathetic that they're charging so much money for this crap.

GymWolf

Gold Member
To me, the lightning looks very much improved (which is creating a lot of difference), for example in this image, which looks very good because of lighting:

4G6MOcs.jpg

but object texture quality looks pretty much the same to me as Redfall (however, slightly better). For example, look at the white box on the left

WBOlPbv.jpg

and compare it with the boxes in the background in the next image

8FMIx1g.jpg

or the table in the following one.

PgvVkxc.jpg

I think there are uncanny similarities between the two games (e.g., how the guns look), and I'm surprised why because these are apparently using completely different engines.
It is hard to find 4k screens but it looks way better, not even close to redfall

untLdDbthtRegPuzEef4cS.png

Starfield_2022_06-12-22_004.jpg

FVE9Af1XEAUw_0q

FVE9Po3WAAE_g0V

FVE9TcIXwAAzRbI

FVE9TczWIAEkfxq

FVE9TdYXwAMWH4v

FVE9XksXwAIpmW0

FVE9agwXoAEGJTY

At least starfield looks like a decent ps4 game and not a x360 game.

Banjo64

cumsessed
SkillUp:

I would remind you that the last first party exclusive that Sony released was God of War Ragnorok. And the next first party exclusive that Nintendo will release is Tears of the Kingdom. Microsoft’s answer to that? This.

Ouch.

I agree with his closing remarks 100% about Xbox not shutting this down and the bar falling so low.

Last edited:

PeteBull

At this rate I'm scared my poll vote would be too high (I chose 50-60).
Game doesnt even deserve 50 but u got many biased reviewers who give it ok or good score, so it wont go below 60 probably, if in the end it was under 50 it would mean most reviewers got actual solid intergrity/use whole scale, but we as longterm gamers know its not the case, for first party exclusive to stay around 60 metacritic is complete diseaster tho, but question here is- will conclusions be drawn from that/improvements made for future projects, or will nothing change?

Top Bottom