• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall | Review Thread

What score do you think Redfall will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 8 1.3%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • 40-50%

Votes: 27 4.5%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 81 13.4%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 239 39.6%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 173 28.7%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 44 7.3%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 11 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
meanwhile, on planet X

Animated GIF

kuncol02

Banned
meanwhile, on planet X

But world building in Redfall is amazing. And that's actually worst part of all of that. They had great idea for world and story and wasted it on this game. Main story beats on conceptual level are genuinely great. Whole sequence with
first boss mansion, dollhouse and later boss fight in human sized dollhouse that opens in front of you
is great concept, but not in coop shooter because there is no space to flesh it out. Genre of that game literally works against anything that Arkane tries to achieve there.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Don't you think that this is an over-semplification?

They make the game somewhat good to play to score an 80, but if they knew how to do that, the game would not be a 4-5\10 at the very best.

I don't know, it still sound fishy.

Something really bad happened during the development of this game, you cannot just go from prey and dish (hell even deathloop) to this thing...
Not to give this theory any strenght as I have no idea of the veracity of it. And I of course didn't play or even seen the preview or the final game. But there is a precedent of even worse than that. Sonic 06 got a demo for Xbox 360 that had extra code that was not put in the end game. A public demo. Great video on the subject if you want to know more. So it could happen. At least back then it was not made to scam people like this would be if true. This would also conveniently explain why Xbox let the game ship if the same preview was shown to them as well. But this is full conspiracy at this point. And would made Xbox even more incompetent than in a Sony warrior wet dream. It can't be true, not 100%. But no matter what Redfall happened. And now Xbox will have to regain their customers trust. For me Starfield will be their last chance. If that fail they will have to pray for a botched PS6 to even make me look at them again without pity and/or apathy.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
But world building in Redfall is amazing. And that's actually worst part of all of that. They had great idea for world and story and wasted it on this game. Main story beats on conceptual level are genuinely great. Whole sequence with
first boss mansion, dollhouse and later boss fight in human sized dollhouse that opens in front of you
is great concept, but not in coop shooter because there is no space to flesh it out. Genre of that game literally works against anything that Arkane tries to achieve there.

Sounds like the kind of stuff that would have been good in a single player immersive sim.

kuncol02

Banned
Sounds like the kind of stuff that would have been good in a single player immersive sim.
It really would. It could be new clockwork mansion, but instead whole concept is used only as entrance to simple arena for boss fight.
Worst thing is I don't even know who I should be mad at. I can't blame Arkane for failing in genre that goes against anything they ever did, neither Bethesda for pushing them to make something more popular (not after how bad Doom, New Order, Prey and Dishonored 2 sold) and I can't blame MS, because that game was way to late in development when they bought Zenimax. I guess I will blame people who cry about state of industry, that all we have are remakes and countless sequels and at the same time don't buy new unique games like Prey.

baphomet

It really would. It could be new clockwork mansion, but instead whole concept is used only as entrance to simple arena for boss fight.
Worst thing is I don't even know who I should be mad at. I can't blame Arkane for failing in genre that goes against anything they ever did, neither Bethesda for pushing them to make something more popular (not after how bad Doom, New Order, Prey and Dishonored 2 sold) and I can't blame MS, because that game was way to late in development when they bought Zenimax. I guess I will blame people who cry about state of industry, that all we have are remakes and countless sequels and at the same time don't buy new unique games like Prey.

Lol, since when did Doom not sell well?

kuncol02

Banned
Lol, since when did Doom not sell well?
2 milions copies on PC in a year. That's terrible result for best shooter in decade. Zenimax was never talking about console sales (or even general sales) so I asume they weren't better.

So is it worth the 90gb download? I got it gamepass on pc
If you don't have data cap IMO yes. Shooting itself is surprisingly good (especially considering how bad it was in previous Arkane games)

baphomet

2 milions copies on PC in a year. That's terrible result for best shooter in decade. Zenimax was never talking about console sales (or even general sales) so I asume they weren't better.

So are you just stupid, or you don't understand how any of this works?

The only good thing to come of this entire shitshow is that I've queued up another playthrough of both Dishonored 2 and Prey for this weekend.

Arkane, if you're reading this: please stop fucking around and do what do you do best.
That's like telling a sports team that is having a terrible season to play like they did when they won the championship twenty years ago.

They can't. They aren't the same people, they just have the same name.

kuncol02

Banned
It's sold 5 million on Steam alone.
In 7 years and most of that for ~20$ if not less.

That's like telling a sports team that is having a terrible season to play like they did when they won the championship twenty years ago.

They can't. They aren't the same people, they just have the same name.
They are the same people. At least on top. Redfall is directed by same guy who directed both Dishonored games and was main designer of Deus Ex and also co-directed by Prey main designer.

this! there's so many times i've thought while playing this "why would you have all this immersive sim stuff in a multi-player game?" because it very obviously seems to function better as a single-player far cry type experience than as a multi-player blast fest...

skit_data

Omg, that climbing animation is the funniest shit ever! How? What?! Is that the ”real” climbing animation or is it a bug?

Edit: Ok, watching it again it seems to only be one of them climbing that way. Which is almost even wierder than all of them doing it.

Last edited:

LRKD

Seeing that you can shoot explosive items, and kill your teammates makes me happy. I wish I could trick my friends into playing with me, but the way everyone talking about how bad this game is there's no way anyone's picking it up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Crayon

hmm. you know sony saved a lot of grief by giving away destruction allstars. It would be a major black eye but now it's forgotten.

Top Bottom