• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: "Xbox(2) ... is a mistake"

Kon Tiki

Banned
Nintendo's Revolution will follow PS3 timescale, says Fils-Aime
Rob Fahey 16:20 11/10/2004

Slams Microsoft again for moving too quickly towards next generation

Nintendo of America's charismatic VP of sales and marketing Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that the company is aiming to launch its next home console in the same timeframe as Sony's PS3, and attacked Microsoft's "rush" to the next generation.

"Our focus is this: we will bring Revolution to the marketplace roughly at the same time as the competition," Fils-Aime told US website IGN. "We are driving our timetables based on what we believe Sony will do."

While Nintendo may be watching Sony to work out when to jump on the next generation, the company is less sold on Microsoft's approach. "Not that I want to ignore the Xbox," Fils-Aime qualified, "but certainly we believe that a rush to a new system is a mistake."

This is the second time in recent months that a senior Nintendo executive has attacked Microsoft's seeming haste in moving to a next-generation platform - speaking at the ELSPA Game Summit in London last June, former Nintendo Europe boss David Gosen said that "in every cycle, some manufacturer not profiting from the current cycle is eager to kick-start the next one," and suggested that profitability was not Microsoft's "key motivation" with the Xbox.

Fils-Aime also confirmed that the forthcoming Nintendo DS handheld could potentially be used to link up with the GameCube console, and will almost certainly boast link features with the Revolution platform.

"Could there be interactivity with GameCube?" he said. "Potentially. Depends on the software and accessories needed from a GameCube perspective. But it's certainly possible. Could there be interaction with the Revolution? Certainly possible. Certainly capable."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php/content_page.php?aid=4853

Trevelyon

Damn, Reggie just keeps on keeping on.

rock.gif

PhatSaqs

Banned
"It's a mistake. We'll launch 3-6 months afterwards....."

And is if he'd actually come out and say "Xbox 2 will have a succesful launch".

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"Nintendo may... work out when to jump on... Microsoft's approach."

OMG!

Master Z

This Reggie guy amuses me, always talkin trash. But hey, he could be right...I guess we won't really know until the time comes. Xbox 2 or whatever's spec's aren't even finalized...

jarrod

Banned
Er, Nintendo Europe's reps made the exact same comments months ago. Nintendo feels MS is trying to accelerate the console cycle in order to drop the loss taking Xbox asap and gamble to get a leg up on Sony (similar to Sega's Saturn/DC translition)..

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
"Not that I want to ignore the Xbox," Fils-Aime qualified, "but certainly we believe that a rush to a new system is a mistake."

Nothing even remotely new-worthy out of that. They're basically saying a general opinion that's been known for quite a while. It's not even an attack or a slam, they just think that launching it very early could be a bad move and at this point it might be. I think it's pretty smart of MS and it might go very well for them but Sega really suffered from early launches, might be an indication, who the hell knows.

snapty00

Banned
If I were making a console, Nintendo's not really what I'd call a good source for advice on making a home console relevant to consumers.

jarrod

Banned
snapty00 said:
If I were making a console, Nintendo's not really what I'd call a good source for advice on making a home console relevant to consumers.
Well, it's not like aping Sony has gotten Microsoft too far either... in fact it's made Xbox the least relevant 2nd place console since the 1980s.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
here is my take on it

reggie COULD be on to something.

now hear me out. first, I don't believe there is a chronological good or bad time to release a new console. 3 years isn't necessarily too early and 10 years isn't necessarily too late. It all depends on one thing, how much longer the existing consoles can remain viable.

so here's the thing that reggie (or more correctly Sony and Nintendo) probably know that we don't: How much longer can they keep developing and selling games for this generation? Sony and Nintendo feel they can keep successfully marketing games for another two years. Microsoft feels that this generation is effectively over and wants to move on.

As for who I believe? I'll go with the majority. When you have two not only multi-generationally experienced console manufacturers, but major game developers as well, saying that it is too early, and one inexperienced console manufacturer AND game developer saying the time is right, I'll side with the two experienced companies.

jarrod

Banned
CrimsonSkies said:
They don't seem to have a big issue with bringout new handhelds every other year now.
Every other 3 years more accurately... and mobiles have a much greater rate of replacement/shorter lifecycles than home electronics really.

snapty00

Banned
Taking Nintendo's advice on the home-console market is like taking Nokia's advice on the handheld market.

Whether Nintendo's right or wrong, I'd want to hear it from someone who has proven they know what they're doing first. What Nintendo says shouldn't influence Microsoft's (or anyone else's) decisions one way or another.

IJoel

jarrod said:
Every other 3 years more accurately... and mobiles have a much greater rate of replacement/shorter lifecycles than home electronics really.

Well, if they didn't release OBSOLETE hardware...

Sysgen

borghe said:
here is my take on it

reggie COULD be on to something.

now hear me out. first, I don't believe there is a chronological good or bad time to release a new console. 3 years isn't necessarily too early and 10 years isn't necessarily too late. It all depends on one thing, how much longer the existing consoles can remain viable.

so here's the thing that reggie (or more correctly Sony and Nintendo) probably know that we don't: How much longer can they keep developing and selling games for this generation? Sony and Nintendo feel they can keep successfully marketing games for another two years. Microsoft feels that this generation is effectively over and wants to move on.

As for who I believe? I'll go with the majority. When you have two not only multi-generationally experienced console manufacturers, but major game developers as well, saying that it is too early, and one inexperienced console manufacturer AND game developer saying the time is right, I'll side with the two experienced companies.

The bottom line, each will do what is best for them. It's a mistake to say that any of them does not know what they're doing.

Nintendo of America...has confirmed that...Sony...will bring Revolution to the marketplace...at the same time as...the company is...sold...to... Microsoft ... Speaking at the...Game Summit in London...Fils-Aime also confirmed that the forthcoming Nintendo DS handheld...will almost certainly boast...software.
MEGAHOLOTON!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Nintendo trying to find mistakes in other companies plans is hilarious considering Nintendos entire home console strategy is 1 mistake after another.

jarrod

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Nintendo trying to find mistakes in other companies plans is hilarious considering Nintendos entire home console strategy is 1 mistake after another.
And despite all those mistakes they're still essentailly even with Microsoft. :/

jarrod said:
And despite all those mistakes they're still essentailly even with Microsoft. :/
And the GameCube turns a profit whereas the Xbox has caused Microsoft to lose umpteen billion dollars. But yeah, it's the GAMECUBE that was the misstep.

IJoel

jarrod said:
...they'd either price themselves out of the market or take huge losses?

Oh come on. Give me a break. The GBA hardware is a joke and the DS would be better served spending the money they're spending on the 2nd processor/screen on a wider screen and better hardware.

But noooooo, the DS is the THIRD PILLAR!

Huge losses? Do you realize they have complete dominance on the handheld market? They can afford a small loss on the hardware which would be easily couped by royalties. I wish people would stop thinking about the company and more about themselves and what they want in a system.

Same deal goes for MS if they screw us out of internal storage on the Xbox 2.

And the GameCube turns a profit whereas the Xbox has caused Microsoft to lose umpteen billion dollars. But yeah, it's the GAMECUBE that was the misstep.

Hahaha... someone's sour.

Turning a profit, while losing marketshare, really isn't a step in the right direction. Sure, MS hasn't been money conscious on the Xbox hardware, but it's the owners that have gotten the benefits out of it. Of course, entering the market in a couple of years and becoming a key player in the console race doesn't count!

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
IJoel said:
Oh come on. Give me a break. The GBA hardware is a joke and the DS would be better served spending the money they're spending on the 2nd processor/screen on a wider screen and better hardware.

But noooooo, the DS is the THIRD PILLAR!

Huge losses? Do you realize they have complete dominance on the handheld market? They can afford a small loss on the hardware which would be easily couped by royalties. I wish people would stop thinking about the company and more about themselves and what they want in a system.

Same deal goes for MS if they screw us out of internal storage amd backwards compatibility on the Xbox 2.

IAWT(fixed)P

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Kobun Heat said:

you're about the dumbest person to ever grace the forums.

Nintendo profits are still falling. Nintendo marketshare is plummeting. But keep riding that pony!

If all you care is about WW numbers, I can suggest a basic elementary school mathematics class where you compare simple numbers that really have no meaning in case with momentum swings and generational lead-out. Nintendo is getting owned in 2 territories by the big boys and Japan is the only thing saving face.

I wonder what nintendo is doing wrong? Perhaps suggesting they don't need 3rd party games? nah that can't be it! Perhaps it was going for connectivity between GBA and GCN instead of online? no!! Can't be that! Maybe it also has something to do with the raping and rehashing of their franchises to no end?

Oh wait, but you're Kobun Heat. You're Chris Kohler. You wrote a crappy book which somehow makes you think you're special. You will buy and praise everything Nintendo until you die, so why do I bother with you? What I say to you goes in one ear and out the other and you'll somehow twist this into something positive to Nintendo and Anti-Xbox. Oh well.

Leviathan

Banned
DopeyFish said:

It's a mistake for a product to generate a profit?

cabel

DopeyFish said:
Oh wait, but you're Kobun Heat. You're Chris Kohler. You wrote a crappy book which somehow makes you think you're special, and you will buy and praise everything Nintendo until you die. So what I say is irrelevant and you'll somehow twist this into something positive to Nintendo and Anti-Xbox. Oh well.

Jesus christ, man. I think you might need to relax a little bit.

I've always assumed people who take things from 0 to Personal in 60 seconds (unless you actually did read his book) generally have social skills issues, so I'll leave it at that, primarily out of pity.

But remember: this is a discussion about video games. Chris Kohler didn't kill your pet dog or anally violate your girlfriend without using lube... at least not that I know of. Calm the fuck down.

IJoel said:
Hahaha... someone's sour.
No, your post is "sour." Mine is pretty levelheaded.

Turning a profit, while losing marketshare, really isn't a step in the right direction. Sure, MS hasn't been money conscious on the Xbox hardware, but it's the owners that have gotten the benefits out of it. [/QUOTE]
Both systems have had their successes and failures. I just don't understand why Nintendo is said to be totally bombing and Microsoft succeeding when:

-there is no reasonable scenario that anyone can think of for the near future in which Nintendo will lose money, and

-there is no reasonable scenario that anyone can think of for the near future in which Microsoft has a shot at breaking even.

Microsoft has made some impressive marketshare and mindshare gains, for which they have paid dearly. Even once they start turning a profit--which is not yet in sight--they've got a long way to go before they break even on the deal.

Of course, entering the market in a couple of years and becoming a key player in the console race doesn't count!
When you can lose obscene amounts of money indefinitely, anyone can do it. Fuck, give me twenty billion dollars right now and I'll be a key player in the console race by Friday.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Duck of Death said:
Reggie VS BeOnEdge

FIGHT!!

:lol

didn't sega resort to stupid PR spokespeople before their demise? nintendo is following in their footsteps more and more every day. i cant wait until the end. a world with 2 consoles, MS and sony is all we need.

cabel said:
Jesus christ, man. I think you might need to relax a little bit.
I think he pretty much invalidated his entire post with that paragraph. Good on him.

You're never going to hear me say that Nintendo hasn't made big, big mistakes. I just enjoy pointing out the fantastic double standard applied to the two companies and evaluations of their performance this gen.

IJoel

CVXFREAK said:
GBASP is not a new handheld.

You're right. It's a remake of the original after they screwed their customers not only with obsolete technology, but with an unlit screen.

Woohoo! Viva Nintendo! They make profits, so that makes their hardware better!

jarrod

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
:lol

didn't sega resort to stupid PR spokespeople before their demise? nintendo is following in their footsteps more and more every day. i cant wait until the end. a world with 2 consoles, MS and sony is all we need.
PR loudmouthing has been part of Sega's corperate strategy since 1990.

IJoel said:
You're right. It's a remake of the original after they screwed their customers not only with obsolete technology, but with an unlit screen.
And yet, it's handily outsold Xbox in only a year on the market. Guess some people prefer obsolte technology... at least to what Microsoft delivers.

Top Bottom