• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: "Xbox(2) ... is a mistake"

zork007

jarrod said:
PR loudmouthing has been part of Sega's corperate strategy since 1990.

And yet, it's handily outsold Xbox in only a year on the market. Guess some people prefer obsolte technology... at least to what Microsoft delivers.

Comon jarrod your taking the easy road :) to compare a handheld to a console...apples to oranges. Also there is a big price difference.

jarrod

Banned
zork007 said:
Comon jarrod your taking the easy road :) to compare a handheld to a console...apples to oranges.
It's just a general comparison between consumer products. Consumers in general evidently find GBA SP to be the better product. :/

Leviathan

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
didn't sega resort to stupid PR spokespeople before their demise? nintendo is following in their footsteps more and more every day.

:lol

Sega (unlike Nintendo) was a worthless joke of a company that somehow never figured out how to turn a profit from the Dreamcast and the Genesis. Good riddance to that POS company.

i cant wait until the end. a world with 2 consoles, MS and sony is all we need.

At the rate at which Microsoft is going, they will likely end up making games for the N6. :lol

IJoel

Kobun Heat said:
No, your post is "sour." Mine is pretty levelheaded.

Turning a profit, while losing marketshare, really isn't a step in the right direction. Sure, MS hasn't been money conscious on the Xbox hardware, but it's the owners that have gotten the benefits out of it.
Both systems have had their successes and failures. I just don't understand why Nintendo is said to be totally bombing and Microsoft succeeding when:

-there is no reasonable scenario that anyone can think of for the near future in which Nintendo will lose money, and

-there is no reasonable scenario that anyone can think of for the near future in which Microsoft has a shot at breaking even.

Microsoft has made some impressive marketshare and mindshare gains, for which they have paid dearly. Even once they start turning a profit--which is not yet in sight--they've got a long way to go before they break even on the deal.

When you can lose obscene amounts of money indefinitely, anyone can do it. Fuck, give me twenty billion dollars right now and I'll be a key player in the console race by Friday.

Hahaha... Kobun level headed.

I never said MS didn't have missteps. I don't think I applied a 'double standard'. All I'm basing my argument is on what the customer gets vs. what the company invests in.

It's sad someone that does reporting as a 'gaming journalist' moves so quickly to dismiss MS' efforts as you have (sure Mr. Level Headed).

If you really think this:
-there is no reasonable scenario that anyone can think of for the near future in which Nintendo will lose money, and

-there is no reasonable scenario that anyone can think of for the near future in which Microsoft has a shot at breaking even.
you really are short sighted.

MS has spent tons of money and made some really bad decisions, but to just trivialize their effort and successes saying 'give me twenty billion dollars right now and I'll be a key player in the console race by Friday' is just ignorant.

This is without getting into WHY MS got into console gaming in the first place, which is to PROTECT their business, which all boils down to where the PC/Media center of the future will reside. But of course, you couldn't even begin to think of that.

jarrod said:
And yet, it's handily outsold Xbox in only a year on the market. Guess some people prefer obsolte technology... at least to what Microsoft delivers.
Well, when the next viable competitor is the N-Gage, there's really not too many other choices. Again, I don't care about that. I care about having a great up-do-date product on my hands.

Prine

Banned
jarrod said:
It's just a general comparison between consumer products. Consumers in general evidently find GBA SP to be the better product. :/

C'mon, Xbox is not competing with GBA. Xbox is in a entirely different catagorie.

PC, Handhelds, home console are totally different markets, different consumer needs, different expectations and different way they're marketed

jarrod

Banned
IJoel said:
Well, when the next viable competitor is the N-Gage, there's really not too many other choices. Again, I don't care about that. I care about having a great up-do-date product on my hands.
Well, you're in the minority it seems. If most consumers didn't consider GBA SP a great product, they wouldn't buy it. Simple.

Prine said:
C'mon, Xbox is not competing with GBA. Xbox is in a entirely different catagorie.
I didn't say it was.

Insertia

Nintendo is in a hole with their console business. They've gone from being the #1 hardware manufacture to a fading 3rd. They sell less and less console hardware and software each gen. Gamecube is almost on its death bed.

Of course Nintendo going to talk crap, they're taking a constant beating. :D

IJoel

jarrod said:
Well, you're in the minority it seems. If most consumers didn't consider GBA SP a great product, they wouldn't buy it. Simple.

This will be my last post on this, but you sure completely distort what I try to convey.

There's just no option for portable gaming other than the GBA. Is that so hard to understand? Of course it's going to be successful. And I'm not saying it's a bad product, as I don't think it is, otherwise it would've bombed. Does that make it a great product? Absolutely not. But sure, when there's no other option, you take what you can get.

I just think we could've gotten a significantly better product and Nintendo would've been profitable. I can't see why people keep excusing this. It's ridiculous. Same with the price of the GBA carts. What a damn rip off.

Prine

Banned
jarrod said:
I didn't say it was.

But your grouping Xbox with GBA. As a consumer product there's no preference between the 2 because they arnt sharing the same section of the market.

Shompola

Banned
jarrod said:
And? I'm saying consumers prefer GBA SP to Xbox, obsolte technology or not.

just curious, how is the software ratio gba vs xbox? if gba is less then I guess people actually prefer Xbox wouldn't you agree? What good is GBA without games or maybe everyone uses those flash cards wich might be true.

jarrod

Banned
IJoel said:
This will be my last post on this, but you sure completely distort what I try to convey.
Or maybe you're just bad at getting your point across.

IJoel said:
There's just no option for portable gaming other than the GBA. Is that so hard to understand? Of course it's going to be successful. And I'm not saying it's a bad product, as I don't think it is, otherwise it would've bombed. Does that make it a great product? Absolutely not. But sure, when there's no other option, you take what you can get.
Mobile gaming doesn't exist? You really think GBA has essentially gotten it's market and userbase by default? "Hanhdeld Console Gaming" doesn't have to exist, if consumers didn't like GBA as a product they simply wouldn't buy it. You can play games at home or on your phone/pda/PocketPC/nGage anyway, Game Boy is in no way a necessity.

IJoel said:
I just think we could've gotten a significantly better product and Nintendo would've been profitable. I can't see why people keep excusing this. It's ridiculous. Same with the price of the GBA carts. What a damn rip off.
In terms of media, silicon ROM is notably expensive. Cart pricing can't be helped really, though it's pretty clear Nintendo's sensitive to this issue (dropping GBA license fees to drive down MSRPs, investing in 3DROm as a low cost replacement).

jarrod

Banned
Shompola said:
just curious, how is the software ratio gba vs xbox? if gba is less then I guess people actually prefer Xbox wouldn't you agree? What good is GBA without games or maybe everyone uses those flash cards wich might be true.
More people bought a GBA SP in one year than bought an Xbox in three years... that seems to make it pretty clear which one more consumers prefer I'd say. I'm not sure what relevence tie ratios have on that really?

jarrod

Banned
Prine said:
But your grouping Xbox with GBA. As a consumer product there's no preference between the 2 because they arnt sharing the same section of the market.
Consumer products don't exist in a vaccum... and products don't have to be in direct competition to make comparisons.

Shompola

Banned
judging by the montly NDA? sales charts here people tend to buy much more Xbox games than GBA games excluding the pokemon games. And most of the year there is no new Pokemon game out so....

jarrod

Banned
Shompola said:
judging by the montly NDA? sales charts here people tend to buy much more Xbox games than GBA games excluding the pokemon games. And most of the year there is no new Pokemon game out so....
And yet, every month GBA tends to outsell Xbox 3 to 1... funny huh?

Link316

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Both systems have had their successes and failures. I just don't understand why Nintendo is said to be totally bombing and Microsoft succeeding when:

Nintendo's not invincible, they recorded a quarterly loss for the first time in their entire history last fiscal year, and that not only happened in Q2 but quickly again in Q4, with their shift from the GBA to the DS it could happen sooner than you think especially if the DS fails

MS never intended to make money on the Xbox, they were prepared to lose $5B on it, so as long as their losses (is it @ $3B?) are above that figure its not considered a failure

Xbox is obsolete hardware too, GeForce 2.5 (or 3) my ass.

This just isn't an argument. Would you have rather MS pushed to get the latest, up to date, more none-obsolete graphics card and microprocessor so you could pay 300$ more for an Xbox? I think there was better out on the market at the time than what they put in Xbox, (unless I'm completely shitting myself tech-wise), it just wouldn't have been a good business choice to make the consumer pay twice as much.

jarrod

Banned
Link316 said:
Nintendo's not invincible, they recorded a quarterly loss for the first time in their entire history last fiscal year, and that not only happened in Q2 but quickly again in Q4, with their shift from the GBA to the DS it could happen sooner than you think especially if the DS fails
Hasn't every loss been attributed to yen/dollar fluctuations though? And Nintendo's never posted an annual loss despite any quarterly losses, correct?

Link316 said:
MS never intended to make money on the Xbox, they were prepared to lose $5B on it, so as long as their losses (is it @ $3B?) are above that figure its not considered a failure
Is GameCube considered a failure?

jarrod

Banned
snapty00 said:
jarrod seems like a lite version of Lazy8s or Dopey. :\
I take that as a compliment actually. Lazy's one of the better posters around I think, definitely one of the better debaters around here.

snapty00

Banned
jarrod said:
I take that as a compliment actually. Lazy's one of the better posters around I think, definitely one of the better debaters around here.
Debaters? :lol If you consider "talking to a wall" to be a good debater.

jarrod

Banned
snapty00 said:
Debaters? :lol If you consider "talking to a wall" to be a good debater.
He never gives up. He makes good points. He's articulate.

Most arguments around here amount to "talking to a wall" really. I rarely see anyone come around no matter what side they're on...

Shompola

Banned
jarrod said:
And yet, every month GBA tends to outsell Xbox 3 to 1... funny huh?

But they don't buy the games at all. The software sales excluding Pokemon are awful especially when there are so many GBA units sold. People buy GBA and don't care about the software lineup it seems. How is that funny?

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
TekunoRobby said:
"Not that I want to ignore the Xbox," Fils-Aime qualified, "but certainly we believe that a rush to a new system is a mistake."

This is just normal corporate strategy BS. Competitor A attempts to do something different, and then Competitor B immediately claims A's plans are unsound.

Even if Nintendo (or Sony for that matter) thought that a late 2005 Xenon launch was a good idea, they would never say so. In fact, Sony and Nintendo are both probably quite worried about a 2005 Xenon launch, so its in their best interest to slam M$'s strategy as foolish and a mistake. Enough quotes like Reggie's above in the Wall Street Journal and Big Bill & Friends might start to question their timing.

The last thing Nintendo or Sony want is a strong Xenon launch 6 to 12 months before they launch their systems. By 2006, Microsoft may have slightly inferior technology (debatable), but they will have an installed base and cost advantage that could position the Xenon as the next Genesis. (or the next Dreamcast.... but Microsoft has much more business sense and cash than Sega to try and prevent that type of disaster)

To put it this way, if you were Microsoft, would you want to launch Xenon in 2006 at the exact same time as the two most successful gaming companies in the world? Who in the world would want to go up against Gran Turismo 5, FF13, Mario & Zelda Revolution, etc. right out of the gates? I'd rather have a year head start than repeat the last 4 years of Xbox's questionable "success" (industry & hardcore respect, billions in loses).

jarrod

Banned
Shompola said:
But they don't buy the games at all. The software sales excluding Pokemon are awful especially when there are so many GBA units sold. People buy GBA and don't care about the software lineup it seems. How is that funny?
Untrue, GBA has plenty of high performers in all markets. The top 50 GBA games have no doubt outsold the top 50 Xbox games... saying Pokemon is it's only seller is akin to saying only Halo sells on Xbox.

Shompola

Banned
Top 50 GBA games in Na have outsold top 50 Xbox games in NA? I don't believe that. I see the NDA charts posted here and GBA sales are weak. I beleive last month or the month prior to that the best game was something like 60k. How is that good? I believe the GBA software sales are even worse than GC aswell.

Prine

Banned
jarrod said:
Consumer products don't exist in a vaccum... and products don't have to be in direct competition to make comparisons.

To generate a preference of course they have to be in competition. If GBA is the consumers choice why arent there more developers concentrating on GBA? Theres far more people that prefer GBA yeah? Why not advertise GBA version of POP over console versions?

Can we compare dual shock 2? Memory cards? Tamagotchis? Any other consumer products?

You are bonkers :p

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Shompola said:
Top 50 GBA games in Na have outsold top 50 Xbox games in NA?

For the record, I believe this is a ridiculous comparison, but to answer the question above:

Top 50 Games
GBA 43,084,796 units sold
Xbox 30,844,288 units sold

LTD August 2004

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Top 50 Games
PS2 84,323,202 units sold
GBA 43,084,796
XBX 30,844,288
GCN 29,643,343

Top 100 Games
PS2 120,868,599
GBA 56,471,828
XBX 43,939,742
GCN 39,753,983

Top 50 GBA = Top 100 XBX.... (within a million units)

jarrod

Banned
Shompola said:
Top 50 GBA games in Na have outsold top 50 Xbox games in NA? I don't believe that. I see the NDA charts posted here and GBA sales are weak. I beleive last month or the month prior to that the best game was something like 60k. How is that good? I believe the GBA software sales are even worse than GC aswell.
I believe you don't know what you're talking about. Let's take a quick look at the top 5...

Xbox
-Halo: Combat Evolved (3,528,480)
-Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (1,462,138)
-Project Gotham: World Street Racer (1,174,130)
-Grand Theft Auto Double Pack (1,093,768)
-Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (945,412)

GBA
-Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (4,100,929)
-Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (2,251,797)
-Super Mario Advance (2,126,166)
-Mario Kart: Super Circuit (1,858,833)
-Yu-Gi-OH! Eternal Duelist Soul (1,271,694) old numbers from April 2004

By the way, I do consider it well within the realm of possibility that MS could dominate the next generation, considering the forward progress they've made. I just don't consider it a foregone conclusion.

EDIT: Oh, I guess we're talking about something totally different now. Back to work.

Leviathan

Banned
Insertia said:
Nintendo is in a hole with their console business. They've gone from being the #1 hardware manufacture to a fading 3rd. They sell less and less console hardware and software each gen. Gamecube is almost on its death bed.

Of course Nintendo going to talk crap, they're taking a constant beating. :D

Since you like to focus on trends: NEC (huge corporation), Sega and Matsushita (another huge corporation) all made consoles that never made money. NEC is now making the Flipper (GCN), Matsushita is now making the GOD drive (GCN) and Sega is now making games for the GCN. Based upon past trends, Microsoft is next in line to eventually exit this industry and make games (or some other product) for a Nintendo console.

Shompola

Banned
OK OK.... I was wrong. But when I see these NDA charts posted here, the GBA software sales don't look impressive at all, not even compared to Xbox software sales.

jarrod

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
By the way, I do consider it well within the realm of possibility that MS could dominate the next generation, considering the forward progress they've made. I just don't consider it a foregone conclusion.
IAWTP. I really think Microsoft expanding marketshare with Xenon is almost certain actually.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
To be fair, there's a shit ton of GBA software that doesn't sell anything... but the top of the charts does quite well. Also, Top 50 lists don't take into consideration things like sales trends & momentum - this time next year the Top 50 XBX could indeed have surpased GBA.

jarrod

Banned
Datawhore said:
To be fair, there's a shit ton of GBA software that doesn't sell anything...
But really, that's true of all platforms and hardly exclusive to GBA. So long as we're being fair and all. :p

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I think everyone needs to calm down.

Reggie didn't make it out to be that MS was doomed or anything...he (and alot of Nintendo) just seems to think it's a mistake. And I'm sorry, but I agree with him to a point.

If we find out that not only is Xenon is coming out, arguably, too soon without the power edge they attracted their audience with this generation AND if they make the wrong decisions regarding BC, HD-DVD and other features that people expect from them then yes Nintendo is correct. However, if they make the right decisions and capitalize on an early Christmas launch then they could be on to something. Features aside, the benifits/negatives of the Xenon aside ('cos we still don't know enough to say anything) there's also something else that's bad about an early launch for MS. When Christmas comes next year and people will see the beautiful swan songs for GAMECUBE & PS2, while alot of the X-BOX last breaths have either been moved to or overshaddowed by the Xenon launch. So where does that leave current (especially recent) X-BOX buyers? They'll have to upgrade while the other two systems are still going. It gives mass consumers the impression that the first X-BOX's life has been shortened...hell I mean GAMECUBE is getting RE4 & the new LOZ next year as HIGH profile sellers...what will X-BOX have?* And if there's no BC to help the transition all that X-BOX momentum just WON'T carry over well into Xenon!

Another thing I'd like to mention is each user-base will be starting over next generation so quoting GAMECUBE's current status (which is profitable and not far from X-BOX's marketshare anyways) doesn't mean the same will happen with "Revolution". I seriously doubt Nintendo will ignore MS and make a pastel colored, toy-like system again like they did this generation. That's the main reason they "beat" Nintendo so far this generation...'cos Nintendo shot themselves in the foot. Hooray, they "beat" a limping Nintendo...got news, Nintendo won't be limping next generation so what will MS do then?

Oh yeah and I have something to say to those X-BOT's that said MS shouldn't take advice from Nintendo in the hardware business...Why are they FOLLOWING Nintendo's system architecture, plans (focus less on features & power and more on the games) & business partners then? Yeah...that's right, shut up!

*PS-Please don't play the "list war", Jade Empire will be about the only high profile exclussive X-BOX game next year and I don't see it selling too well. RE4 and the new LOZ are higher profile and I don't see X-BOX having the staying power with those titles...which may be a reason why Xenon is coming so earlier!

Leviathan

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
I think everyone needs to calm down.

Reggie didn't make it out to be that MS was doomed or anything...he (and alot of Nintendo) just seems to think it's a mistake. And I'm sorry, but I agree with him to a point.

If we find out that not only is Xenon is coming out, arguably, too soon without the power edge they attracted their audience with this generation AND if they make the wrong decisions regarding BC, HD-DVD and other features that people expect from them then yes Nintendo is correct. However, if they make the right decisions and capitalize on an early Christmas launch then they could be on to something. Features aside, the benifits/negatives of the Xenon aside ('cos we still don't know enough to say anything) there's also something else that's bad about an early launch for MS. When Christmas comes next year and people will see the beautiful swan songs for GAMECUBE & PS2, while alot of the X-BOX last breaths have either been moved to or overshaddowed by the Xenon launch. So where does that leave current (especially recent) X-BOX buyers? They'll have to upgrade while the other two systems are still going. It gives mass consumers the impression that the first X-BOX's life has been shortened...hell I mean GAMECUBE is getting RE4 & the new LOZ next year as HIGH profile sellers...what will X-BOX have?* And if there's no BC to help the transition all that X-BOX momentum just WON'T carry over well into Xenon!

Another thing I'd like to mention is each user-base will be starting over next generation so quoting GAMECUBE's current status (which is profitable and not far from X-BOX's marketshare anyways) doesn't mean the same will happen with "Revolution". I seriously doubt Nintendo will ignore MS and make a pastel colored, toy-like system again like they did this generation. That's the main reason they "beat" Nintendo so far this generation...'cos Nintendo shot themselves in the foot. Hooray, they "beat" a limping Nintendo...got news, Nintendo won't be limping next generation so what will MS do then?

Oh yeah and I have something to say to those X-BOT's that said MS shouldn't take advice from Nintendo in the hardware business...Why are they FOLLOWING Nintendo's system architecture, plans (focus less on features & power and more on the games) & business partners then? Yeah...that's right, shut up!

*PS-Please don't play the "list war", Jade Empire will be about the only high profile exclussive X-BOX game next year and I don't see it selling too well. RE4 and the new LOZ are higher profile and I don't see X-BOX having the staying power with those titles...which may be a reason why Xenon is coming so earlier!

Well, that about wraps it up for this thread.

Gek54

DrGAKMAN said:
I seriously doubt Nintendo will ignore MS and make a pastel colored, toy-like system again like they did this generation. That's the main reason they "beat" Nintendo so far this generation...'cos Nintendo shot themselves in the foot.

o_O

Prine

Banned
nah, i got a list of games that shoud sell well. but thats for tomorow ;D

need to sleep gotta wake up in 6 hours

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
DrGAKMAN said:
GAMECUBE is getting RE4 & the new LOZ next year as HIGH profile sellers...

Sadly, they could really use them this year...

DrGAKMAN said:
RE4 and the new LOZ are higher profile and I don't see X-BOX having the staying power with those titles...which may be a reason why Xenon is coming so earlier!

This is a very good point and one that isn't often made. M$ long term plans for Xbox support really aren't clear... They may have some good shit up their sleaves left for 2005, but very little of it has been revealed. Will M$ simply abandon Xbox in Q4.05? I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to significantly reduce support, but it would absolutely ruin their reputatation and their chances of success with Xenon if they can't successfully manage two platforms until at least Xmas 2006. They likely have a few titles from Rare which haven't been announced that could support their 1st Party Xbox publishing through to 2006.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
DrGAKMAN said:

I dunno about you dude, but games like Splinter Cell 3, Conker, Forza, Kameo, Doom 3, Far Cry, or UC 2 aren't exactly "low-profile" games

PhatSaqs

Banned
I seriously doubt Nintendo will ignore MS and make a pastel colored, toy-like system again like they did this generation. That's the main reason they "beat" Nintendo so far this generation...'cos Nintendo shot themselves in the foot. Hooray, they "beat" a limping Nintendo...got news, Nintendo won't be limping next generation so what will MS do then?
Yes of course! This is the only reason Nintendo is getting handed it's lunch in the states by MS. The purple purse syndrome....

segasonic

DS will be a flop in comparison with the Gameboy handhelds
DS will be outsold by Sony PSP by the end of their respective lifecycles
DS am new VirtualBoy :D

mark my words

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Here's a little something they teach in Business 101:

If you're losing money, but are gaining a significant bit of marketshare: you're winning.
If you're making money, but at the same time severely losing marketshare: you're losing.

And this is ultimately what's going on. Nintendo's console marketshare is severely dropping and we all know this. Anybody who tries to say that it's not severely dropping is a fool in denial. Microsoft is looking at the big picture; looking down ahead; looking at what's in store. They have their prospects laid out and their projections in front of them. The Xbox is a success. The userbase is very devoted and will be more so when the next-gen version hits. MS knew that they were going to lose money. Their stance on the issue has always been gaining it back towards the end of the Xbox's cycle (which I think they've just began doing) and software. They're not losing a terrible amount of money on the Xbox, and haven't been for a while.

So now that they've got marketshare and a household name, this is where the follow-up to the Xbox comes into play and begins to rack in the profits and pick up even more marketshare.

What's going to happen to Nintendo? Their newest console won't be even as worthy as the GC. The "revolution" will be waived off by many who've already purchased their PS2s and Xbox-2s. And you know why? Because despite profiting, Nintendo lost a shit load of marketshare this generation; way too much.

Watch it happen.

Top Bottom