• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake |OT| Party like it's 1998

Aggelos

I think that Capcom has flipped the switch for the steam downloads.
It has begun!

Outside the S.T.A.R.S. room you can see Ivies Plant-43

Last edited:

skads_187

Just got it in the mail, pre ordered from Best Buy online (Canada), is the Chris and Jill samurai dlc inside? I thought it would be separate or by email? Or is it automatic?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Can anyone help me with this? Which one we should play first? ( Leon or Claire) the canonical order?

I'd say 100% Leon. That's how I first played the game and that's how I do most replays of the game. IMO its Leon first then Claire. I think the only time I ever played Claire first was because Claire is awesome and I wanted to play her story line.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I'd say 100% Leon. That's how I first played the game and that's how I do most replays of the game. IMO its Leon first then Claire. I think the only time I ever played Claire first was because Claire is awesome and I wanted to play her story line.

But I keep hearing people said that Claire A and Leon B is the canonical order based from RE6( don't know which part of that game indicated that though)

Shifty

I think that Capcom has flipped the switch for the steam downloads.
It has begun!

Outside the S.T.A.R.S. room you can see Ivies Plant-43

fab.png

Commence the preload!
Holy shit that intro to Hunk's mission! And the music! That's fucking radial!

Last edited:

TitusTroy

as a person who's never played the original I have a newb question...I know there are 2 playable characters and after you finish your first run you get to start a 2nd run as the other character with different enemies, characters and weapons...but after you finish your 2nd run you get another 2nd run as your initial character...is the 2nd run of your initial character going to be different in any way?...hope that makes sense

Aggelos

fab.png

Commence the preload!
Holy shit that intro to Hunk's mission! And the music! That's fucking radial!

The music sets the setting to speedrun the sh*t out of it.

as a person who's never played the original I have a newb question...I know there are 2 playable characters and after you finish your first run you get to start a 2nd run as the other character with different enemies, characters and weapons...but after you finish your 2nd run you get another 2nd run as your initial character...is the 2nd run of your initial character going to be different in any way?...hope that makes sense

I think you have to do it the other way completely. If you want a second run of your initial character you have to do it again in the reversed order.
You played initially as Claire, you completed the game. Then you go for 2nd run of Leon.

But what if you want a 2nd run of Claire, what then?
Probably you hafta play the regular Leon first and then unlock the 2nd run of Claire

Last edited:

Shifty

The original had you play through scenario A as your first chosen character, then start scenario B as the second using the scenario A clear data. After you finished that, you could go back to square one and start scenario A again with the clear data from B.
I figure it's similar here, though I've heard talk of the A/B structure being different this time around- might just be that Leon gets one scenario and Claire gets the other.

Last edited:

TitusTroy

The original had you play through scenario A as your first chosen character, then start scenario B as the second using the scenario A clear data. After you finished that, you could go back to square one and start scenario A again with the clear data from B.
I figure it's similar here, though I've heard talk of the A/B structure being different this time around- might just be that Leon gets one scenario and Claire gets the other.

but I heard that it's pretty much mandatory to play the 2nd run with the 2nd character as you get the better/true ending...in the 2nd run with the other character you get different enemies, characters, endings etc...so I was curious if the 2nd run with your original character would also give you a different playthrough then your initial run

But I keep hearing people said that Claire A and Leon B is the canonical order based from RE6( don't know which part of that game indicated that though)
Claire A and Leon B is the most canon order in the original. Stuff like Ada's fate was directly lifted from Leon B (was completely different in Leon A) in future games, and Umbrella Chronicles even continued the Leon B version of Ada's story and how she escaped the city and met Wesker (canon). Claire A and Leon B also flows better in terms of story telling too. Leon was disc 1, so naturally back in the day that would be the way most people started the game just because.
From what I understand the A/B stuff is much more minor this time, and Mr. X is no longer scenario B exclusive, so it's probably a bit more preference this time.

Last edited:

TitusTroy

I think you have to do it the other way completely. If you want a second run of your initial character you have to do it again in the reversed order.
You played initially as Claire, you completed the game. Then you go for 2nd run of Leon.

But what if you want a 2nd run of Claire, what then?
Probably you hafta play the regular Leon first and then unlock the 2nd run of Claire

I thought I read that once you complete both characters stories it automatically unlocks the 2nd side of your initial characters story...so if you started out as Leon A -> Claire B or Claire A -> Leon B , once you finish those 2 stories it automatically unlocks the 2nd side of your original character...here's a quote from a review...

"after this second play through you'll also unlock The Fourth Survivor mode and the 2nd Run scenario for your first character"

Thatkidgabara

Neo Member
I'm sorry that i preorderd the Digital copy on xbox One because it would seam that just about all retail stores in my area broke street date.

Aggelos

IGN gave
8.8 because lack of content and same puzzles to face
so keep that in mind.

Now they updated their review and it's a solid "9.0 Amazing" from them

Rock Paper Shotgun - 5 Reasons Resident Evil 2 Is Our Dream Remake (And 2 Ways It Isn’t)

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, there's some die hard fans that have detailed every single detail. My general understanding of the game is that Claire is the 2nd part period.

I'm sorry that i preorderd the Digital copy on xbox One because it would seam that just about all retail stores in my area broke street date.
That's a huge issue if they get caught. I have to wonder if companies are willing to go the extra mile to enforce that policy. I was thinking about this today. I wondered how many people in my city already had a copy. I see a date in a trailer and I expect that date is when the game officially releases. Yet social media makes you think the release date was a few days prior.

Last edited:

Aggelos

You guys ready for some Ada and Ben Bertolucci "first encounters" and cut-scenes?

Last edited:

decisions

This IGN fiasco is pretty bad. I mean if your job is to review the game you think you would at least try a "2nd run" option if it came up in the menu.

Not saying I hate him for this or even really dislike him, but it is truly disappointing as it seemed that Daemon was one of the last respectable people left at IGN.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Yeah, there's some die hard fans that have detailed every single detail. My general understanding of the game is that Claire is the 2nd part period.

That's a huge issue if they get caught. I have to wonder if companies are willing to go the extra mile to enforce that policy. I was thinking about this today. I wondered how many people in my city already had a copy. I see a date in a trailer and I expect that date is when the game officially releases. Yet social media makes you think the release date was a few days prior.

What if we go with Leon A Claire B?

Are we going to miss something important here?

If you're talking this remake version, based on some alleged spoilers I read involving how Mr. X is handled, Claire A then Leon B might still be the most consistent with established canon. *shrugs*

Talking just the original you're not missing that much, but some consistencies and worse story flow. Also missing some canon story stuff with Sherry that was only in Claire A, much like how Ada's canon story is only in Leon B.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Now is the perfect time to reflect on the George A Romero directed Resident Evil 2 commercial.

Ha the olden times of yesteryear.

""TV Special for the advertisement of BIOHAZARD 2.
Japanese comedy duo Kyaeen - consisting of Udo Suzuki (ウド鈴木) and Hiroyuki Amano (天野ひろゆき)- and rising actress Yoko Kamon (嘉門洋子) visit Capcom Headquarters in 1998. ""

Hideki Kamiya (the director of the original RE2) apparently ordered the overseas version. He wasn't in a mood to buy the JP version

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Who did the IGN review? The level of ignorance displayed there is absolutely incredible.
IMG-4798.jpg

Maybe they hired some interns. With all due respect, it's not like they hired them to make a strategy guide. And with the legacy and the amount of common knowledge about Resident Evil out in the world. It feels like a very ammautuer mistake.

I would go with what TheDuskwalker TheDuskwalker is saying. He knows his stuff.

Last edited:
"Nobody told me there'd be days like these. Strange days indeed. Most peculiar, Momma!" :messenger_winking:

Just announced on Capcom’s Resident Evil 2 Launch Event Stream. Ghost Survivors is a free content update for REmake 2 that will be hitting post-launch, no date yet, but it’s a new game mode where you can play as multiple characters, it’ll be a mode with randomized elements, an in-game shop (not micro transactions, earn points in-game by performing well), and should be very replayable they say. Hints it might be like a randomizor/rogue mode, but no 100% at this time.

Confirms that Robert Kendo, a USS Member and Katherine (mayor’s daughter) are playable in it, surprisingly the characters from the main game not confirmed playable at this time (but say more characters to be revealed) This mode seems it’ll be dished out in volumes over time, three volumes, the first one will hit at an unknown date, have Kendo, a USS Member, and Katherine playable. The mode may have a loose “alternate reality” story mode and randomized rogue-like mode, but it’s a bit unclear right now. Confirmed this first volume will include a brand new enemy that’s not in RE2 normally, and again is a free content update.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Damn some of y'all just need to stop worrying and just... Play the game when it drops. Literally pick who you want and have a good time.

I'm refusing to look at any addition content now. Just waiting for my copy to arrive.

MikonJuice

I want to know two things: does the zombies keep coming back(unless you exxplode their heads) and is it as difficult and tense as Biochosk 1?

humm...

Last edited:
At least there's some fresh DLC coming out. Hopefully we won't have to wait a whole year for it, like what happened with Not a Hero and End of Zoe in 2017. That was such a bore!

Moses85

It’s been a while since I was that wet for a game 😅 last one was BotW.

RE2 will be my time machine and bring me back to the room of my dudes bro. There we’ve plaid RE2 in 1998.

3 hours left and I’ll hold the CE in my hands

I'm just going to treat it as a 'fresh take' on Resident Evil 2. That way I think people will enjoy it way more. Part of people's problems is that they have to keep comparing it to the original, and comparing this, that and every little other minor thing. If they stopped doing that, then maybe just maybe, they'll actually enjoy it and quit moaning so much.

Filben

People should worry less about what character to pick and just do it. It's your experience. There's a reason you can choose the character, which is probably because the developer think it's worth it and don't hamper your experience. So what if one specific set of order of character selection is canonical? The impact on your experience of the game itself, with everything it has to offer, because of the order will be minimal to none. Just sit back and enjoy the game, and worry less about this meta-game.

I always found discussions of canon in multi-ending/character/choice games strange. Why even offer different endings/characters/choices in the first place? The canon of a game is 'my' canon, my experience, my interpretation when different characters, choices, and endings are offered.

II_JumPeR_I

Its a survival horror game not a walk-in-the-park game. You can just turn the difficulty down if you can't handle it :pie_raybans:
Not every survival horror game needs a annoying character that chases you all day... And stop telling someone what genre this game is.. god. A difficulty doesnt change the fact that you get chased.
No need to get triggered because someone doesnt like a part of a game you like.

Whoa whoa whoa, there. What do you mean lackluster OneX version? Is the X-Box One X version inferior to the PS4 Pro version in any way, shape or form? The demo looked much better on my X1X and I pre-ordered it for the X. Is the PS Pro version better?
The issue for me with the OneX version is that they didnt improve anything from the Demo. Still the bad 1620p with its agressive TAA solution. No 4k30fps mode either

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Not every survival horror game needs a annoying character that chases you all day... And stop telling someone what genre this game is.. god. A difficulty doesnt change the fact that you get chased.
No need to get triggered because someone doesnt like a part of a game you like.

The issue for me with the OneX version is that they didnt improve anything from the Demo. Still the bad 1620p with its agressive TAA solution. No 4k30fps mode either
You're kidding me! And the Pro version has the 4K 30fps option?

Verdanth

IGN updated their review, from a 8.8 to a 9.0.

Guess half the game scores 0.2, and the other half 8.8.

One question: I have not played RE2, like, ever.

Scenarios A and B. A is Leon's and B is Claire's, right?

Aggelos

In the end credits in the special thanks section it reads as follows

"Hideki Kamiya and Original Development Team"

Top Bottom