• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake |OT| Party like it's 1998

Paracelsus

Question regarding Mr X...

From what I've gathered from previews and footage your only option is to run away??? Hate games that make me feel helpless, looking at you Outlast.

Yes, because he only gets knocked down a few seconds, enough for you to get the hell out of dodge, and he bears no loot for you to take. He's a colossal waste of time and ammo.

HotPocket69

Banned
Question regarding Mr X...

From what I've gathered from previews and footage your only option is to run away??? Hate games that make me feel helpless, looking at you Outlast.

Yeah basically it’s a waste of ammo even though gunshots do slow him down a little. Your best move is going to be just to haul ass.

So, who is this USS member they spoke of? Was his corpse in the original 1998 version? It's great that the daughter of the mayor and Robert Kendo are going to be playable protagonists in the new mode coming soon. But I think the other guy is bound to have been a minor character in the original, somehow. Otherwise, I'm not sure why Capcom would have chosen him to be in the game. Maybe there is a file about him somewhere in the police station, or the laboratory. In Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for example, you find a lot of dead Umbrella mercenaries, so maybe he was a part of that group.

HotPocket69

Banned
I guess I’m fortunate in a way that I missed out on 2 back in 98. I was 16 at the time and was a PC only gamer for whatever nerdy reason. Eventually I got a PS1 but that one game always eluded me.

So seeing all of these complaints from hardcore veterans is really a sight to behold personally and a bit humorous since I’m going in completely blind. I didn’t even touch the demo.

Now if and when they decide to remake re4 (which they better fucking not) then that’s when I’ll be joining the masses and screaming at the clouds.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This doesn't look like a bad game especially. However, I just think it has a new coat of paint, and the fixed camera angles, the 1998 character models coming soon in a free update and whatnot, still gives it a retro feel. There is also a way to reduce the colour on your screen, so your TV feedback actually resembles an old PlayStation game. To me in general, however, the game just looks way too modern. If you think of it as a new game not related to the others, you may enjoy it more. With that said, I can see why it's just hard not to feel the need to make all these comparisons, as a fan of going on 20 years.

Played the games when they originally released. RE2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I honestly don't get where you are coming from.

I don't get why fans are so obsessed with remakes. They do little to "enhance" the overall arch, or whatever you call it...

I think if Capcom could develop great sequels again, and do the odd remake, that's a better business practice for us.

Keeping in mind here, that I'm not trying to shit on anybody's parade. It's just relatively pointless to churn out remakes!

-MD-

I don't get why fans are so obsessed with remakes. They do little to "enhance" the overall arch, or whatever you call it...

I think if Capcom could develop great sequels again, and do the odd remake, that's a better business practice for us.

Keeping in mind here, that I'm not trying to shit on anybody's parade. It's just relatively pointless to churn out remakes!

They just put out RE7 and gave us RE2, they're doing sequels and remakes, exactly what you're asking for.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

People enjoy seeing games they loved as a kid with techniques, design choices, and controls that were previously impossible. Also they aren't just "churning out remakes". The last three games released in the Resident Evil series were Revelations 2, Umbrella Corps, and Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. The last time they remade a game was back on the Gamecube. Two of those titles were well received with the general public and fans.

As for Capcom in general, again they don't do that. They have multiple development groups and it doesn't take a lot of resources to port over a game like Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0, or the Street Fighter collection. They still release brand new titles like Monster Hunter World, Street Fighter V, and Mega Man 11.

RE7 isn't like a traditional sequel, though. It uses a totally different style. I meant ones like 4, 5 or 6, or the older type.

Last edited:
People enjoy seeing games they loved as a kid with techniques, design choices, and controls that were previously impossible. Also they aren't just "churning out remakes". The last three games released in the Resident Evil series were Revelations 2, Umbrella Corps, and Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. The last time they remade a game was back on the Gamecube. Two of those titles were well received with the general public and fans.

As for Capcom in general, again they don't do that. They have multiple development groups and it doesn't take a lot of resources to port over a game like Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0, or the Street Fighter collection. They still release brand new titles like Monster Hunter World, Street Fighter V, and Mega Man 11.

RE7 however was mostly cut and paste material. After 2, they said they'd remake 3 next. What about RE8 and other games? Remakes are not canonical. They could do a remake, get it to be 10/10 and it still wouldn't enhance the overall arch. This is why I don't like remakes that much. Plus, it's not a remake anyway. It's a new game, based on RE2. That is it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
RE7 however was mostly cut and paste material. After 2, they said they'd remake 3 next. What about RE8 and other games? Remakes are not canonical. They could do a remake, get it to be 10/10 and it still wouldn't enhance the overall arch. This is why I don't like remakes that much. Plus, it's not a remake anyway. It's a new game, based on RE2. That is it.

Who said they aren't working on RE8 already? Who said that they can't work on two products at the same time? You do realize that RE3 Remake going into development doesn't mean they don't have other products further in development. For all you know, they could be well on their way with RE8 and RE3 is only going into early concept and design stages.

Y'know, what most large game studios have done for literal decades.

Last edited:
"Nemesis" on YouTube even said that RE7 isn't really befitting of an ordinary RE game. But remakes drift off course too.

They don't have to stop doing remakes, but I just don't see what purpose they truly serve. They don't further the story.

A re-imagined game is not anything more than fan service, and is hereby NOT a continuation. That's all I'm saying...

RE7 was a disappointing sequel, but other than Revelations 2 (which is arguably a spin off and set even before the outbreak in 6 happened), the last sequel we had that remotely felt like any RE title of the past, was indeed RE6. I'm just concerned that they have ran out of ideas for future games. I'm sure the next game they release will be blatantly lifting ideas from other games, and that to me is wrongful, because to be able to attract fans, they have to have a degree of originality. That's not them coming up with their own ideas. That's essentially the same thing as stealing from projects they are not a part of, yet few users on any message board today ever seem to notice this takes place.

Revelations 2 was almost a scene-for-scene remake of The Last of Us. RE4 and 5 and 6 are Call of Duty copies, which indicates that they are not scary at all. Name one thing that scares you in RE4 or the other two games I mentioned. And not only that, but they are vastly overrated third person shooters, and RE7 was clearly made to cash in on P.T. and due to Silent Hills getting axed. It was developed as a demo called "Kitchen" or something back in 2015, and all they did was tweak some stuff so it was like a RE game. But that's just it. What was so RE about it? And I view it as mostly a stand alone game that isn't reminiscent of the RE games of the past. Since they killed off Wesker, the franchise has had no clear path to go along.

I'm not saying the RE2 remake sucks, but in terms of what it achieves in the timeline, it is never going to be part of the franchise's true overall arch. Maybe the new ghost survivors mode might add some interesting back history for Robert Kendo and the other minor characters, but the main game is its own thing yet again, and not really with merit. Games like Operation Raccoon City (although 100 times more shit than even the likes of Dead Aim, Gaiden or Survivor) didn't enhance the arch in the least bit either. But to me, I reckon that Capcom needs to mop all this mess up.

Last edited:

kingwingin

"Nemesis" on YouTube even said that RE7 isn't really befitting of an ordinary RE game. But remakes drift off course too.

They don't have to stop doing remakes, but I just don't see what purpose they truly serve. They don't further the story.

A re-imagined game is not anything more than fan service, and is hereby NOT a continuation. That's all I'm saying...

What are you on about? Fans want this, thats why it exists. Also who is that bozo you linked from youtube? Why would anyone care what he thinks?

Last edited:

Aggelos

0:00 1. The Beginning
2:46 2. Raccoon City
6:17 3. R.P.D. Hall
9:46 4.The Beginning of Fear
13:31 5. Fear Again
15:45 6. The Book of Truth
18:00 7. Save Room
18:42 8. Strange Realm
21:28 9. Black Impact
25:00 10. Third Demise
29:14 11. Collapse
32:07 12. Last Judgment
35:33 13. Looming Dread
37:40 14. Consequence
41:10 15. Secret Hope
42:29 16. Absurd Advent
45:34 17. As One Desires
48:34 18. Cerberus
50:37 19. The Straight and Winding
53:29 20. Conflagration
55:15 21. Reliving the Present
58:39 22. Center of Desire
1:01:19 23. Expansion
1:04:38 24. Mournful Pursuit
1:08:37 25. Credits

In my opinion, a good story and atmosphere are better than the gameplay itself. That's semi-true. And I write well too...

What you need in a game is one consistent villain, or main threat, to focus on. Yet the RE franchise has one-time ones.

Also, I think a found footage non remake RE game, like with Clancy, would be great. See for yourself, as to why that is.

Funny. Scary. Atmospheric. Interesting. Longevity.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I think they needed to successfully remake something like RE2 because even they did lose their way with the series and although RE7 was a good game it wasn't a good Resident Evil.
Going back and seeing how those games where made and recreating them is no easy task and you can tell from their interviews they have learn a lot and finally got the formula right with RE2 Remake.
Sometimes when ya lost your best option is to go back to the beginning.

Not necessarily. They could have done a game with the all the trimmings and feel of the new remake, and still made it good. They're just unsure of how to attract the same appeal as the old ones. Also, I don't know where these rumours originated, but some people said elsewhere that they also want to remake the first (GameCube era) remake.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not necessarily. They could have done a game with the all the trimmings and feel of the new remake, and still made it good. They're just unsure of how to attract the same appeal as the old ones. Also, I don't know where these rumours originated, but some people said elsewhere that they also want to remake the first (GameCube era) remake.
It would make sense, going forward REmake is gonna become harder and harder to port without it looking dated due to Pre-rendered backgrounds.
I wouldn't object to another Remake.
Hell after RE2 my most anticipated game is RE3 Remake.

Aggelos

It would make sense, going forward REmake is gonna become harder and harder to port without it looking dated due to Pre-rendered backgrounds.
I wouldn't object to another Remake.
Hell after RE2 my most anticipated game is RE3 Remake.

I expect RE2Remake to sell more than the original. Given the hype and excitement it garnered.
I mean 3 million downloads or sth only for the one-shot demo.

And taking into account what Takeuchi Jun said, the head of Capcom Development Division 1 (where RE7, RE2Remake and DMC5 were made), that they have another game in development already that will make people jump off their seats by surprise. I guess that RE3Remake is set to be revealed sometime in 2019.

Could you please tell us what’s in store for CS Development Division 1 in the future?

Takeuchi: “First we’d like to release Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry 5 for everyone to play. Then we’d like to move onto new challenges. Also, the customers’ voices are very important. Things like, “It would have been better if this were done”, “I’d like this”, are things we want to pay attention to.
I believe future Resident Evil series games will see a big change in the future, and until then, we’d like to store our strength in order to make it an ideal game. On a separate note, we’re currently developing a title that’ll make people surprised to the point they’ll say, “They’re developing something like that?”.”
https://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/...rst-division-changes-with-hints-at-new-title/
https://wccftech.com/capcom-produce...-will-make-fans-think-wow-theyre-making-that/

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
He has over 3000 followers. He says a lot of things that, while opinionated in nature, has merit. Did you view the video?

No, it doesn't. Just because someone as "followers" doesn't make their opinion worth any more than the next random person. Example: Kardashian's have millions of followers, doesn't mean they are worth listening to. You are just posting something that supports your view points.

In my opinion, a good story and atmosphere are better than the gameplay itself. That's semi-true. And I write well too...

What you need in a game is one consistent villain, or main threat, to focus on. Yet the RE franchise has one-time ones.

Also, I think a found footage non remake RE game, like with Clancy, would be great. See for yourself, as to why that is.

Funny. Scary. Atmospheric. Interesting. Longevity.

What does it matter if you believe you write well? I disagree that the games require a consistent main villain. The Baker family was perfect as a one off set of villains. Also Umbrella and the two founders are the "main villains" for all intents and purposes.

As for those videos, they are not what I would consider entertaining. They aren't funny, scary, atmospheric, interesting, or have longevity. Also what do they have to do with video games? They are completely different mediums.

Last edited:

decisions

I am so stoked to play this game. It really seems like the more "horror-focused RE4" we all wanted when they gave us 5 and 6.

-MD-

Are we supposed to know who this guy is? I don't really care what some random youtuber with 3000 subscribers thinks.

And at this point I don't even give a fuck about RE's story and I haven't in over a decade, everyone turned into a superhero and it got boring.

Only, us true fans didn't truly want them to go in that direction, decisions.

lol

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
From what I've seen ever since you've been here, your opinions no the RE franchise are god-awful. Also, stop using any excuse to post your own videos; self promotion is against the rules and considering the amount of times you do it, it's blatantly nothing more than an attempt to self promote.

Also your videos are bad and embarrassing. Just stop.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

It is only matter of hours now, Im realy excited..
I feel it is great to make remakes or remaginned versions of pre ps2 era games as they very different graphically and mechaniccaly of post ps2 era because 3d was not well established back then..
Im now 30 years old and can not believe we are getting a re2 and kh3 in one week it is like a dream come true for me as an adult to see my childhood - teen games come to life😭😭

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I hope the DLC is good.

P.S. Kindly shut the fuck up, because they are my own honest views.

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/uhm/showthread.php?57153-Resident-Evil-2&p=1173294#post1173294

Just because you said "kindly" doesn't mean you can abuse other members on this forum. You appear to be taking over this thread with troll-like comments continuously, if you don't like the remake jog on and let people who are enjoying it..... enjoy it and discuss. Sure it may not be the way you want the franchise to go but it looks like Capcom have done an excellent job on this.

Also the videos you posted on youtube, I'm not sure what they're really about, is the older gentleman related to you somehow?

By the way, it's not self-promotion at all. The whole point of posting videos is to give a link to oneself or other people online, giving their 100% unbiased and honest opinions about a video game, or the franchise it is a part of. So that's what I've been doing. Once again, these are my views. If you don't like what I'm saying, shove me on ignore mode then.

https://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/threads/online-communities-for-video-games-are-toxic.193669/

1*tBWfQguw3TMKWIZMdyLSVQ.png

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

ruvikx

Banned
RE7 is the Street Fighter 2010 of the series.

Capcom had been trying their luck with a first person Resident Evil for nearly 20 years (who can forget Survivor back in 2000?), ergo RE7 was IMO on a checklist of "things to do before we die" for Capcom, i.e. make a successful, well reviewed/received first person RE title. RE2 remake though does seem like their more natural mainline take on the series (third person), likewise it's now on Metacritic the second highest reviewed Resident Evil ever, behind RE4.

Ellis

Do you miss out on gun parts by not temporarily putting Mr X on his ass ?

If need be, I'll take the fucker out.

Last edited:

Verdanth

RE7 is also a masterpiece...on VR.

Playing it normally, it's just an OK Resident Evil game. But on VR, oh man. It's the best experience I had on VR, slighty above Astro Bot and Beat Saber, which are also great.

kingwingin

I don't really understand where you stand as a “true fan”of resident evil. You say re7 was shit and that the last true resident evil title we got was re6 but in your rant video re4 was the worst one in the series, you are all over the place

Also You seem so focussed on the series progressing its story but by updating an older title they are allowing people to get a peice of a story they would be missing. I never played the original and i dont want to go out of my way to play such an old game.

Shifty

By the way, it's not self-promotion at all. The whole point of posting videos is to give a link to oneself or other people online, giving their 100% unbiased and honest opinions about a video game, or the franchise it is a part of. So that's what I've been doing. Once again, these are my views. If you don't like what I'm saying, shove me on ignore mode then.
Self-promotion is still self-promotion if you spin it as necessary in order to share your '100% unbiased opinions'.

And I honestly doubt they're opinions worth hearing if you're not able to politely articulate them in text form like everyone else. I have even less interest in watching impassioned ranting in video form than I do reading it as text.

No True Scotsman. Hm.

This is beginning to sound like a Grimmrobe post. You wouldn't happen to be a massive fan of Icycalm would you?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Anybody who says RE4 is the worst in a series of games that contains RE6 doesn’t even deserve to be heard, never mind a click.

I mean that’s just bonkers talk is that...

Nickolaidas

RE7 isn't like a traditional sequel, though. It uses a totally different style. I meant ones like 4, 5 or 6, or the older type.
Why wasn't RE7 a true sequel? Because it was scary? Because it was survival horror? Because it was claustophobic? Because it had mutated monsters to fight? Because combat wasn't the be-all end-all in the game?

Throw me a freakin bone here.

JimmyJones

Banned
I don't really understand where you stand as a “true fan”of resident evil.

True fans are fans who prefer RE1-3, CV and Zero. The real RE games before they went mainstream. RE4 was great but it just wasn't the same as the older games.

When us older fans voice our concerns we basically get told to fuck off by the newer fans who didn't even play the originals. I can't wait till they start remaking all these Gen Z'ers favourite games in 10 years and see the new young ones telling them to fuck off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom